Esato

Forum > Information > Esato News Articles > iPhone 4S and Siri popularity crashes Apple Siri servers

Previous  12
Author iPhone 4S and Siri popularity crashes Apple Siri servers
MyP910
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2011-11-06 04:08
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
to me, I don't see any revolution in Siri. It is still the same voice recognition application that has been developed and used long time ago. Microsoft Voice Commander is one of the voice recognition application that I've been using since X1 time and it is very good. It integrate with most of the phone functionality, it helps during car driving, good or pretty accurate recognition algorithm... and all these have been done 6 years ago.

Now, with Siri its the same again.

I was hoping Apple to come out a new technology or architecture that can improve voice recognition and not only based on software alone. To this date, all voice recognition device are facing the same problem which is unusable in the noisy environment. You need near quite environment for the system to recognize, if not you will ended repeat the same task again and again which defeat the purpose.

I thought in the beginning, Apple will come out with new hardware which combine several components such as proximity sensor, camera (for lips detection) and microphone for the voice recognition. Apparently, it is still the same voice recognition software that has been used since the era of creative labs sound blaster product which is more than 10 years ago.
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2011-11-06 20:05
It's probably a matter of opinion exactly how revolutionary it is but the difference between Siri and something like Voice Command is pretty obvious. Apple already had an equivalent to that in the form of Voice Control, which has been built in to the iPhone since the 3GS (it's also available on the 4S if you choose to disable Siri).

What's special about Siri is the way that voice recognition is couple with some artificial intelligence (on the server end) which allows you to have a natural conversation with the device. Instead of being limited to pre-programmed phrases like "call so and so" or "play this", Siri's recognition and understanding of questions and commands is potentially limitless - which means of course that it can be used for much more than the standard things you might do with a phone - it's more than just a shortcut to certain apps or different way to press buttons, it's an assistant that can help you with almost anything. That's the promise of it anyway - it is of course still in beta, and very early days. Maybe it'll be remembered only as a gimmick, or maybe it is the next "big thing" that everyone will scramble to copy off Apple - time will tell.

But to compare it to Voice Command? That's the same limited thinking that dismissed the original iPhone, because phones with touchscreens had been around way back... Of course they had, but that didn't mean Apple's wasn't different, or indeed revolutionary.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-11-06 20:13
I feel, as in wrestling, I should somehow do a "tag" to continue on from Boinng ( ) but yes, Siri is so much more than simple command recognition. Several times Siri has not fully understood me and yet when I continue on "she" (female Aussie) has continued within the same context to regain understanding of what I was on about and correctly action my request.
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2012-01-09 01:38
She does that to me Masseur
I've got the Aussie one set the posh
Guy is annoying lol

Btw Siri is good for texting, setting up stuff on ur
iPhone as well as look up stuff online and find out what
Time it is in other countries

It's just ATM it cannot locate a pizza place
To order a pizza hah
An "Apple" a day keeps the Doctor at Bay!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi