Esato

Forum > Information > Esato News Articles > Samsung and Google announces Galaxy Nexus smartphone running Android version 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich

Visitors browsing this topic: 1
Add to Bookmarks
Author Samsung and Google announces Galaxy Nexus smartphone running Android version 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-10-31 21:56
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
If that is the case then its a very stupid one. Of course many phones will look like the iPhone if they're touchscreen devices, flat and slim, few or no buttons and a full face screen.

To me, its like claiming all cars copy Volvo because they have windscreens too. They're bound to look similar more now than ever since most phones tend to come with full face touchscreens.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-10-31 22:03
but do you not see the irony in saying that most phones will look like the "iPhone" if they're touchscreen?

no one says "most phones will look like a Nokia, or a HTC or"... they always say they look like an iphone so clearly Apple deserve some credit for phones being as usable as they are.

But that shouldn't stop other manufacturers being innovative and coming up with something different rather than simply doing the same "because"..., and these patents are not just about looking the same, they are about the interaction and other aspects
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2011-11-01 01:56
Gosh this REMINDs me of my HTC sensation

what the heck

An "Apple" a day keeps the Doctor at Bay!
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-11-01 12:16
@ Masseur - i do see the irony, but i totally disagree with your suggestion that people thinking all phones look like an iPhone due to something Apple have done, if anything it proves more my point which ive mentioned in threads about Apple products that Apple simply have a brand which has become so strong people buy into it regardless of how limited and featureless their phones may be.

Not to turn this into the usual Apple vs the rest of the world debate as usual of course.

Phones like the original Galaxy S and pretty much all other touchscreen phones look the way they do simply because they have full face touchscreens rather than keypads.
false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2011-11-01 15:34
Apple won nothing against Samsung regarding their Galaxy smartphone line-up!! They lost all cases!
The only patent case they won was about the standard Gallery which Samsung have nothing to do with. And it's insignificant.. A minor tweak to the scrolling mechanism did it.. Samsung already celebrated their win..

Apple are winning against Samsung with th tablet law suits.. And it's only about design.. They also lost all Android patents there.. And they won only in Germany and Australia.. In The Netherlands and other places they lost!

And regarding the form factor of the iPhone, it wasn't Apple who introduced it anyway! They only managed to popularized thanks to iOS.. The same they did with the app store.. Nokia introduced the idea in 2006 and Apple popularized it.. But of course they must be given the credits for that.. But not to that extent some tend to do it and depict Apple as doing the impossible!!

The original iPhone was a useless brick! It was even dumber than the dumbest feature phone back then!
What's so hard in producing such a product?!
The trick is to adopt the new form factor and maintain the functionality.. A thing it took them four years to finally implement!! Do you think the likes of Nokia, Samsung, and SE couldn't do such a product back then! Even LG did it before Apple! Nokia had the Maemo tablets project going, and that was way before Apple introduced the iPhone..
Everybody was keen of the new era we're heading in.. Nokia had Maemo.. MS were already working on transitioning WM before they ditched completely and went for a totally fresh start.. Difference between Apple and others, is that they introduced a product at its very early stages with minimal functionality. While others were developing their products to reach first an acceptable state of functionality as they can't afford to do the same step as Apple's.. And then we all know the rest of the story..

Same they did with the Macbook Air.. They were the first to implement the form factor in a retail unit, but with previous generation chipset and half the features a notebook offers!! What's so hard about doing that?!
The trick is to implement such a form factor with the current chipsets and maintain the feature set..

Problem is if others do it, these products won't kick off. Same they did with the iPad!!
What's revolutionary in producing a 10" iPhone with even less features than the iPhone itself!!

You think Samsung couldn't back then produce a 10" Galaxy S?! But if they did everybody would mock them for their miserable try and question what's the use of it.. Apple do it, and it's revolutionary..

Ah! Apple! The only revolutionary product to me they did and deserve big credits for is the iPod and iTunes.. With the iPhone they set the pace for the new modern era of smartphone.. By introducing the philosphy of UX first, functionality second, implemented through iOS... And popularizing the application store..Also they deserve credits for that, but I see it as a marketing revolution more than a technological revolution..

@ etaab

Why don't you consider a WP device?! I know the app store isn't there yet, but the OS itself is simply amazing. And I know the Lumia 800 isn't quite there yet, but looking forward, I can only expect another camera revolution coming its way from Nokia with their upcoming flagship, along with their unique premium designs.. For now, there are the Titan and Samsung's WP flagship which is the GSII running WP.. Then one could jump to Nokia later.. It's different from jumping from Android to WP..
Just my two cents..
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-11-01 20:44
Ive thought about it but theres two main issues with me and WP, first off im bored of WP before ive even owned one. I just dont like the interface simplicity, its like operating a PS3 XMB interface. Second, im kind of annoyed with Nokia at the moment. In fact enraged is one way of saying it. Im annoyed mostly with their customer support last year when my first N8 was broken, it took them weeks to organise me a replacement. Im also annoyed how when software updates are available, they take a further month or two to become available over the air. So i have to mess around going on a pc to load up the buggy Ovi suite to update. Symbian's built in clock still suffers from dementia too, which has been a problem since at least 2006. You turn off an alarm and it still goes off !

So im left only with Android as an alternative platform.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-11-01 21:01
And WP does not support SD cards
Phone?? What phone??
false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2011-11-01 21:46
@ etaab

I can't argue much in favor of WP if there are some features you need which aren't there.. But regarding the interface and the live tiles, beieve me, once you try it out, you'll change your mind.. It's simply amazing and for sure more powerful that it looks out to be..

But anyway, if you insist on Android, if it were me, I'd go for the Galaxy Note without any hesisation..
I know it's not a pure smartpone as it tends to have some tablet personality in it.. But as long it fits in my standard side Jeans pocket, and could be handled by one hand, that extra screen is all welcome!!
I'd use it as my phone with all pleasure..

Actually, I'm just wishing Samsung would release a WP version of it.
There is also the GSII HD.. It's a 4.65" Galaxy SII with 720 screen resolution.. Not sure it's coming to Europe though..
If not, then you're left with the GSII, the only viable Droid at the moment, and the only one doing good sales as well!

@ Bono

16GB + 25 GB of Skydrive are all good for me.. And I think this is good for the vast majority..
[ This Message was edited by: false_morel on 2011-11-01 20:48 ]
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-11-01 22:22
I love the WP OS but that is not as convenient as an SD card is it??
Phone?? What phone??
false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2011-11-01 22:40
Of course it is not.. But I can't see it as a deal breaker.. At least for me.. And I think to the vast majority as well of consumer base as well..
[ This Message was edited by: false_morel on 2011-11-01 21:40 ]
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-11-02 23:42
The Note is nice but too large for me. Its not really an option.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-11-02 23:48
I seen the Note review on Phone Arena and in the video it looked massive in his hands. Nice to use at home but as a tablet type as the specs and that screen are cool
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-11-04 11:04
The Note's size and old version of Android put me off it. Now ICS is on its way its hard to think of buying any Android handset other than the Nexus at the moment. To be truthful, im considering waiting for the Galaxy S3 next year now.

The Nexus might have a fast processor and great specs but i was expecting it to be at least 1.5ghz, i was expecting it to have at least a proper RGB 720p screen and not a pentile matrix and the real deal breaker is lack of a SD card slot.

Ive been looking forward to it all year and disappointed. I love the S2 but feel its been out too long now to sign up to a contract on it.
false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2011-11-05 01:42
I tried the Galaxy Note.. It's definitely pocketable.. Check this video..

While handling it is a bit of an issue.. It really depends on your hands size and whether you prefer such a big screen and the extra built-in stylus functionality or not..

To me, I managed to handle it with one hand and dial a phone number for instance. I reached the "1" full streched out, but did reach it like I reach it on standard size phone.. That was the limit for me though. I definitely can't handle larger than that one handed in portrait like any other phone..

Of course reaching all corners isn't quite as smooth as smaller phones.. But just needs a bit of getting used to I think..

Unless of course you have smaller hands or the extra stuff you get from the Note aren't of any interest to ..
Of course guys with bigger hands will even enjoy it even more.. I guess this would be a standard size phone for an NBA player for instance..

So yeah, it can't be recommended just like that for anybody.. But I thought such a device would be what you're looking for etaab..
If you haven't tried it out, just do it, you could change your mind..

And as we're speaking of size, I tried the Titan as well, and this ones feels exactly like any of the HD7, GSII, Sensation, and all other 4.3 inchers feel.. Mainly due to the fact that it's about the same width.. While Note's main problem is its width obviously..
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-11-05 21:31
I think i'll just wait for next year. Im hoping for a quad core cpu phone, like the new Asus transformer tablet. See its benchmark result here. Once they stick similar chipsets in phones like the SGS2 and call it the SGS3, it will make even the Nexus look so old.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi