Esato

Forum > Information > Esato News Articles > Samsung and Google announces Galaxy Nexus smartphone running Android version 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich

Author Samsung and Google announces Galaxy Nexus smartphone running Android version 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
Geezay
HTC Desire
PM
Posted: 2011-10-19 14:53
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2011-10-19 13:22:39, skblakee wrote:
Okay so can any one say when we will see this start rolling out to current phone owners?

Thanks.

Edit, okay found this - http://www.phonearena.com/new[....]tically-in-the-mix-too_id23087

What do you think?
[ This Message was edited by: skblakee on 2011-10-19 12:26 ]

OEMs will be mostly interested in pushing out new devices as opposed to giving owners of current devices a reason to hold on to their current phones and not to upgrade. Having said that, I think the newer recent crop of popular devices will get ICS, lest there is public outcry as was the case when HTC announced that the HTC Desire would not get GB.

Sadly I see this also as the beginning of the whole "will-my-device-get-ICS-or-not" rants on the web! Sigh
If it is to be it is up to me!
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-10-19 19:46
I must admit I am looking forward to seeing ICS in full play!! A whole new experience
Phone?? What phone??
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2011-10-19 22:19
Some potential reasons why Google chose a TI OMAP chip for its latest Nexus: www.phonearena.com/news/Why-G[....]droid-ICS-poster-child_id23089

Personaly ive always had mad respect for TI OMAP chips since the days of the N93, their chips have always had both power effeciency and multimedia as major strengths over the rest, and hoped SE's next crop of droids use a TI OMAP chip, this TI OMAP4460 has an overclocked GPU and the CPU is underclocked to 1.2GHz, considering that Android4.0 supports UI HW Acceleration it means the UI depends less on the CPU and now off loads some work to the GPU, and thanks to multi-core support to it means both cores do the work with the dual-core CPU, this thing is going to be INCREDIBLY smooth, and so will all the other Android4.0 ICS devices and those that get the update.

Realy hope my network has it by December, the more i read about it the more i want it.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-10-19 23:07
Hands on preview http://www.gsmarena.com/samsu[....]_nexus_hands_on-review-663.php
This device seeing it in the video is starting to look sexy!! The new browser loaded so fast
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2011-10-19 22:12 ]
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-10-20 00:21
This will be my next phone, next month.

My contract is up for renewal now so this is the only choice seeing as the iPhone 5 didnt show its head.

Initial thoughts are:

- love the looks from the front, side and ends
- hate the look of the rear
- confusion, some sites say there is a micro sd card slot, some say there is not. Images show no slot anywhere sadly..
- disappointed about the low resolution camera, a move to stop it stealing the limelight from the S2 perhaps
- disappointed about the cpu speed of 1.2ghz, i would have expected a little more around 1.5ghz
- love the UI of ICS
- love the HD screen and its size
- love the overal user interface videos of the phone

Im really looking forward to the Galaxy Nexus, but less than what i thought i would seeing as one or two key features are still missing which i'd have liked. However, with apps like ChatOn from Samsung im sure the phone will be well stocked with great features not found in many other devices.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
Caspa
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2011-10-23 23:30
I... WANT...
skblakee
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2011-10-24 01:00
@Geezay, remember that Google made OEM's agree to update their android phones every number of months (which I don't recall) so that manufacturers will have to update their current crop of phones to ICS.
Galaxy Note III with 64gb micro SD
Visit St.Kitts in the Caribbean. Beautiful little place.
iPad Air 16GB
false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2011-10-24 03:29
Could someone justify for me the lack of a Gorilla glass?!! I thought the days where we had to look after these screens from the slightest scratches are long over!!
Is it the curvature?!

Also the screen itself misses the "Plus" of Samsung's AMOLED! And it's not about just a minor plus from what I was reading!!

Also the camera seems to be underperforming examining those early photos.. Will wait for a proper review or more reliable pics..

And is it only me or the design is a bit awkward?! To my eyes, it's nowhere near the sexiness of the GSII despite the big similarity...

And what about the Galaxy SII HD?!! It will be released this quarter.. Probably during November..
Is it coming to Europe?! For me, it's an obvious choice over this GN.. Despite missing on ICS for few months and lack of instant updates as soon as they get released from Google..

I really don't get it why there are always these deal breakers to all Nexus phones!
[ This Message was edited by: false_morel on 2011-10-24 02:29 ]
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-10-28 06:36
Tsepz_G ... completely agree about mad respect of the TI OMAP processor ... they MADE what ARM chips are supposed to be ... always been the benchmarks. BTW .. the OMAP4460 does NOT have an overclocked GPU ... its a newer GPU (not new just newer) than other smartphones/tablets using OMAP4430 or equivalent ARM Cortex A9 chips - including Snapdragon and others. This GPU will rock others.

TI (Texas Instruments) is THE leader of licenses for ARM's chip designs ... if you think NVidia's first 2 Quad-Core mobile ships are going to rock ... then I'm telling you the A15 from TI will be the next SHIIIIIT!

I'm VERY highly considering the Galaxy Nexus vs iPhone 4S; however I need to wait and see what HTC will offer in terms of a 720P resolution smartphone. I'm a Mac user so the IP4S appeals to me in terms of sync and compatibility.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-10-31 21:04
Im still a bit unsure now about this phone. I think it'll be great and all but i think it might be worth waiting for the Galaxy S3 next year. Im disappointed in its looks, the lack of a plus super amoled screen and average megapixel camera, even if it takes great snaps.

@ false_morel - i think the lack of gorrilla glass is simply down to the curved screen i read on several sites.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-10-31 21:09
No Gorilla glass?? That happened on the last Nexus At this price point is bad too.
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-10-31 21:14
I just like the SGS2 design better than the Galaxy Nexus.

Every time i see the SGS2 i love it more. I just hope when i hold a Nexus in my hand i feel the same. At the moment im tempted at getting either the SGS2 or the 4S.

And is it just me or does ICS look dull and boring ?
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-10-31 21:17
I was thinking the same ICS looks dull with not much colours
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-10-31 21:46
Im sure it'll look better with Touchwhiz or Sense overlapped on it, but i think Samsung could have made the Nexus look a bit prettier by putting the default wallpaper on the demo phones something more colourful than the dark blue theme every phone seems to be using.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-10-31 21:50
Maybe it's the Apple patent thing they made it look less like an iphone Samsung need to re think their designs
Phone?? What phone??
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi