Esato

Forum > Information > Esato News Articles > Apple with 70% margins for each iPhone 4S sold

Previous  12
Author Apple with 70% margins for each iPhone 4S sold
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-10-12 13:15
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
so you're saying that companies should factor in morality when determining selling price?

surely you can see thats nonesense in the business world? morality doesn't enter the equation.

price is set by market factors including competitor pricing and what people are willing to pay.

This is also evidenced by the fact that some tablet manufacturers reduced their prices after the Kindle Fire was announced.
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-10-12 14:04
And how much time, money, and talent does it take to build a brand?

If it was easy and cheap to do so... I think Samsung would have an easier time selling a million tablets.

It doesn't matter how good your product is, if you cant convince anyone to buy it, then it's useless.

A smartphone is a luxury (as much as you wanna try to justify 'needing' it, you won't physically die w/o it), not a necessity... It's a status symbol, much like a nice car, a good suit (which btw costs way less in material than an iPhone but is priced way higher)
semo
Vivaz Silver
PM
Posted: 2011-10-12 14:52
IMO a very good reason not to buy this product.
julias
X2 White
PM
Posted: 2011-10-12 18:33
Its not about the price but more to do with fashion and trends and the iPhone being the latest trend in the must have gadget so as long it retains a stronghold on this trend which I suspect will be for many years to come unless by some miracle Apple loses its appeal people will pay the premium price for this product and people forget that the iPhone is also a status symbol so would it have the desirability factor if it was selling for lets say budget smartphone prices?because then everyone would have one but even now almost everyone I know has a iPhone.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-10-13 23:19
@ Masseur - do i think companies should consider morality when determining a price ? no, it should not even be a factor at all. But for me, companies setting a massive price tag like £699 for their product which is clearly not worth it to me screams they ARE considering the morality of it and totally disgregarding it. Im sure at some point Apple did consider whether setting the 4S 64gb variant with a £699 price tag was too much of a fleecing, but chose to go ahead with it anyway knowing their brand identity is strong enough to keep their hooked customers.. hooked ?

Im a business man myself, i never consider the morality in my pricing structure, but then i never have the intention of greedily fleecing my customers which would then in turn make it a factor for the informed customer.

@ jplacson - i dont think owning a smartphone is a status symbol or luxury over owning a normal dumb phone, since smartphones now are as cheap as some none smartphones.

I also disagree that it takes time and money to build a brand, of course it does but that does not mean they should so obviously fleece consumers as a reward for making a successful brand.

Its not only Apple, they're just the worst in the mobile phone scene. In other areas, its companies that make clothing like G-star, £100 for a shirt which cost around £3 to make. A pair of Reebok trainers, £150 to buy and cost £14 to make etc..
[ This Message was edited by: etaab on 2011-10-13 22:20 ]
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-10-13 23:22
I so hate those words status symbol I was not told how much but I was told a while ago by a computer salesman that making an Intel or whatever chip inside a pc costs next to nothing. It's all made from atoms
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2011-10-13 22:24 ]
Phone?? What phone??
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-10-14 01:54

On 2011-10-11 13:13:20, pt020 wrote:
Thieves

Really?! And you don't think Governments, Educational institutions, or even YOU are being ripped off via Microsoft? Think again.

Apple deserves their coffers. They came into a new market segment with new product to compete with long fat-rich stallwarts and thwarted them in a single blow.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-10-15 23:34
The whole world is one big rip off. It applies to anything. For example, my girlfriend just checked out getting a ticket for a Manchester United football match as a Christmas present for her brother - £270 !! thats £3 per minute of the 90 minute match !!

I am far from rich, in fact this past 12 months to me ive never had so little money before. Courtesy of people like David Cameron and his party running the UK economy, greedy corporations like Shell charging silly amounts for petrol when which they make about £300m pure profit every hour of the day.. you know it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth thinking how i struggle to survive financially, as are many millions of families worldwide.

Would i pay Mr Cook £700 for his new 4S ? no, its only worth half that imo. Biggest con job this month i reckon. People who spend that amount of money on a phone have too much money to waste and should think about donating some of it to charity instead. Its disgusting, selfish and offends me in so many ways.

Apple continue to offend me year after year. They've got such a great OS, beautiful interface and so much going for them, but they're still the biggest thieves in this game.
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2012-01-06 15:59
Lol etaab bet you voted for Cameron tho!
Btw everyone uses the government issues
As a excuse the thing is once everything is sorted
Come next election labour will come into power again
And it will be the same problem all over again

Under labour everybody had everything
For much or less now Cameron's here that's
Gone its tuff luck now!

I never voted myself I never do
But I see what Cameron's doing is necessary
It will benefit us all

I actually love my iPhone 4S
I would pay any price for it

I dunno why I've bothered with others
When the iPhone has been staring me in the face
For quite sometime it's an amazing handset
I find myself glued to it its awesome

Regarding price of how much it costs to make
I thought it was low but even so it's a high end phone
Something other manufacturers need to look at
Still on there handsets a lot of them skimp on lousy
Materials

Not so with iPhone you get what u pay for

An "Apple" a day keeps the Doctor at Bay!
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-01-06 18:19

On 2012-01-06 15:59:33, Miss UK wrote:
Lol etaab bet you voted for Cameron tho!
Btw everyone uses the government issues
As a excuse the thing is once everything is sorted
Come next election labour will come into power again
And it will be the same problem all over again

Under labour everybody had everything
For much or less now Cameron's here that's
Gone its tuff luck now!

Everytime Labour are in power they leave us in debt & the Conservatives have to clear up the mess. Everytime
Phone?? What phone??
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2012-01-06 20:03
The iPhone is no different to any other product, it's worth what consumers choose to pay for it, no more and no less. If the price was really "too high" then it wouldn't sell, and Apple would end up cutting prices - they don't need to do that, because they're selling out anyway.

As others have mentioned, the really surprising thing is how close a lot of the android competition is to Apple's prices, given that Apple are paying for the ongoing development of the whole iOS platform while the android manufacturers get almost all their software R&D for free.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2012-01-07 22:01
@ Bonovox - Labour didnt leave the country in debt, the whole world is in a bad state financially at the moment. I dont think you can blame Labour for the whole european economy. Its not Labours fault whats happening to Greece and Italy.

@ Miss UK - i actually voted Liberal, have done since i turned voting age many years ago now. Sadly, Clegg is a complete moron who sold out to the conservatives to get some power for his party at the price of selling out their policies. Sadly again, i wont be voting for them again. Or Labour or conservative.

@ Boinng - my main beef with Apple's pricing is their most expensive iPhone adding more memory doesnt cost an extra £200 over the basic 4S model.
vlotnet
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2012-01-08 00:08
Like it or not, Apple convinced the unwashed masses that they need a smartphone.
Like it or not, Apple chose to hand-hold the masses to make things easier for them to do the things they normally do.
Like it or not, Apple never chose to compete feature-wise, especially initially. They went another angle.
Like it or not, Apple introduced a very different phone that made a name for itself by just how much it differed.
Like it or not, many people that knew the iPhone wouldn't satisfy all their needs still wanted to try one. It was different.
Like it or not, Apple also had the advantage of building on the i-brand with the phenomenal success of iPods and the iTunes way of doing things. Familiarity with iTunes was already there.
Like it or not, people are creatures of habit and far more like iTunes than dislike it (ie. enthusiasts like me).
Like it or not, most people like to be hand-held at the expense of flexibility and freedom.
Like it or not, Apple's competitors were asleep at the wheel, especially NOKIA, who still seemingly doesn't know what a good user-experience is and seemingly doesn't care about quality control to this day, even though they are the world's biggest seller of mobile phones with quickly-eroding Symbian smartphone market share, despite free maps and navigation in many of their smartphones.
Like it or not, Apple charges what the customer is willing to pay, like any other well-run business.
Like it or not, politicians will never change as long as the bankers control all of them. Look up Max Keiser for more information about the wholesale fraud that goes on.
Like it or not, you can ride the bike instead of paying for petrol
Like it or not, Apple will never change what they charge unless demand for their products dwindles

Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-01-08 01:00
@etaab what i did mean was Labour always mess up spending way too much money and leave us in a mess. Not blaming them for the world crisis
Phone?? What phone??
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2012-01-08 02:07
Lol etaab the day I vote will be when
The government issue me a fine through
My door

The 64gb 4S is abit overpriced on US apple
Site it's roughly same price as a £500 16gb
Sadly Vat suxx uhh
An "Apple" a day keeps the Doctor at Bay!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi