Esato

Forum > General discussions > General > Trauma of damaging your phone !

Author Trauma of damaging your phone !
Marly
Apple iPhone 6
PM
Posted: 2011-11-10 21:50
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Sure, high-end phones like the Samsung GSII or the iPhone are not exactly cheap, and you're centainly not happy, when you have to replace one of those, still, it's nothing, compared to a new car.
"America: please don’t be a Dumpfkopf"
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-11-10 21:57
True but I can't drive
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-11-10 23:21
I cannot afford phone insurance so if such an accident were to happen where my phone literally died and was not usable, im afraid id be having to revert back to an old phone like my N95 or W880i. Sadly at the moment my finances are in dire need of some serious help.

I value my phone higher than i do my car, which is worth many many many more times than my phone, but then im forced by law to buy insurance for it so even if it were involved in an accident it would always be covered. More so because any accident would be the other persons fault since im a pretty excellent driver, trained to an advanced level.

So no, for me my phone is far from disposable, its not just my phone, its my all in one communication tool, my dedicated digital camera, my video player, my internet tablet, my camcorder, my satnav, my music player, my portable hard drive, my email, everything which i now use in daily life which ive grown accustom to and used to replace many devices which are no longer necessary with phones like the N8 which i consider the ultimate in convergence of technology.

If my N8 died and i had no backup phones my life would become a little more boring, stressful, quiet and dull.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-11-10 23:37
Insurance is a form of gambling... and I don't gamble. I'm fairly sure that any money I might haven't spent over 20-odd years of mobile phone ownership would easily be outweighed by the care I take and the once I have ever lost a phone (a startac in its holster on my belt while cycling)
Marly
Apple iPhone 6
PM
Posted: 2011-11-10 23:39
Being on a phone forum, I guess we all love our phones.
In the morning I leave our house for work, my husband aswell, but in the other direction, so I leave everything behind, except for that little companion in my pocket, which enables me, to stay in touch with hubby, family and friends, no matter where they are or whatever they're doing.

Star TAC, a little gem at the time when all other phones still were big and clunky
[ This Message was edited by: Marly on 2011-11-10 22:51 ]
"America: please don’t be a Dumpfkopf"
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-11-10 23:41
I have had 2 phones stolen & a couple of accidents but that was over a long time. I am normally very careful & my phones rarely have a mark on them. But it's just piece of mind for 5 per month. @masseur,a Star Tac I remember a work colleague had one of them & I was in awe
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2011-11-10 22:43 ]
Phone?? What phone??
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-11-10 23:50
I guess when you have such bad luck (or mis-care) your persepective changes.. just like in gambling when you think your past bad history will presume your future good fortune...

sorry, it doesn't work that way but you might possibly come out even or even a little ahead... but thats still a game I don't play (why do you think insurers are able to stay in business?)
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-11-10 23:52

On 2011-11-10 23:37:44, masseur wrote:
Insurance is a form of gambling... and I don't gamble

Exactly i couldnt have said it better myself. I can use my N8 one handed, but choose not to. When out and about i hold my phone firm in one hand and use it with the other. I tend not to have accidents, ever, sadly this one time is that one time out of millions where foresight didnt predict such limitless physical events and variables taking place.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2011-11-11 00:21
My parents insured both my X10 and Galaxy Tab10.1, the very same days i got them, with smash and grabs, hijacking and theft being the way it is here in South Africa its advisable to insure, especialy when you consider the ridiculous prices we pay for gadgets here.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2012-01-23 05:58
I actually like my phone with some signs of wear and tear.. I don't know why, but I do My N8 has quite a few..
Hobbs
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2012-01-23 07:07
Tsepz So true.But i know Kung fu and can dodge bullets like in the Matrix so I havent bothered with insurance.Also when needed I can run superfast.And when my phone is in danger Im just a blur.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3
Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-01-23 09:03
I use insurance via its expensive to replace plus my bank does not do the cover either. Also home insurance does not cover phone insurance especially when its my dads house and I have read it does not cover something which is not on the premises. I worry not just about damage but theft or loss too. Insurance is a form of gambling and you don't gamble?? Gotta be the most stupid comment ever. So you don't have car or home insurance?? Now that would be stupid

Nokia Lumia 800
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2012-01-23 08:13 ]
dominiquelan
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2012-04-23 10:27
This is why I keep my phone always secured and safe, I don't want to damage my phone.
Always on the lookout for new mobile phones online!
alenn
Nokia N900
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-05-28 19:20
I had 1 phone stolen and given back,and it died bcoz of damage given by the person who stole it.I care for my Nokia now,and I hope I'll buy a new white mask.I had it dropped a few times but no big deal.
chunkybeats
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2012-05-28 23:52
I think I saw somehere on a website that is a cover/sleeve that makes your phone look like a cheap standard phone and deters thieves, not sure where were it was, can anyone confirm this? its an awesome idea if deon properly!

etaab - good on you sticking to your old phones, i do think if owning a premium handset really does make your phone a magnet to thieves. I do miss the w880i, love that little phone and still gorgeous to this day! I still have my w810i though the memory stick slot no longer works but it is my emergency phone which is great as its battery life lasts for a over a week!!!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi