Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Android > Sony Ericsson Live with Walkman™ delivers unique social music experience for smartphones

Author Sony Ericsson Live with Walkman™ delivers unique social music experience for smartphones
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-08-23 09:43
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Why doesn't Sony introduce their Stamina batteries into their phones the batteries they use in cameras and camcorders of thiers??
Phone?? What phone??
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-08-23 09:55

On 2011-08-23 09:07:04, lolstebbo wrote:

1. If you look at the specs for SE's 2011 models versus HTC's and Samsung's and everyone else's, Sony is the least fragmented. The internals are pretty much the same across the board, just in different sized and configured packaging. This helps with parts costs, especially compared to other Android manufacturers. Stocking multiple screen sizes for different models is probably cheaper than stocking a massive variety of chipsets in addition to multiple screen sizes.

2. This builds more on my first point, but by repackaging the same architecture, ends up with a lineup of general devices physically designed for different markets. I think they're trying to position themselves as a lifestyle brand instead of a "try to please every kind of consumer" brand. Each model has some kind of general broad appeal, but the physical design helps target a more specific audience without being too limiting in demographic, the PLAY being an exception.

3. Swap-out keyboard? I can't imagine that being fun to engineer or program for since the software would have to be tailored to accomodate two sets of input instead of just one or the other.

4. Interchangeable back panel? Unless you're referring to something similar to iPhone keyboard cases, do you have any idea how to engineer something like that? It would actually increase development and parts costs, if anything.

1) I agree on this, but the other manufacturers do have the funding to do so. doesn't.

2) This strategy would work for larger companies that have the distribution and manufacturing of say HTC, LG and Samsung... again, is a very small player, spreading themselves too thin IMO. Focusing on a couple of segments would be more beneficial to them.

3) It would be the same as programming any of their Pro models w/ keyboards, since they all work when the keyboard is closed, as if there was no keyboard.

4) Initially yes, but gives them more flexibility per model since customers would be more willing to spend on a keyboard or controller accessory than a secondary phone. The really small Israeli phone company Modu had a similar approach, albeit a bit more extreme as the core component was just a basic phone. already has the tech for it, it was used on the P910i keyboard. The form factor may be different, but the connector was essentially the same. It's not a major change in the unit itself, just provisions for external keypads/keyboards. Considering that the ray is about half the thickness of the Pro, it shouldn't be too difficult to make an external keyboard attachment that isn't too thick.
lolstebbo
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2011-08-23 19:00

On 2011-08-23 09:55:30, jplacson wrote:

1) I agree on this, but the other manufacturers do have the funding to do so. doesn't.

2) This strategy would work for larger companies that have the distribution and manufacturing of say HTC, LG and Samsung... again, is a very small player, spreading themselves too thin IMO. Focusing on a couple of segments would be more beneficial to them.

3) It would be the same as programming any of their Pro models w/ keyboards, since they all work when the keyboard is closed, as if there was no keyboard.

4) Initially yes, but gives them more flexibility per model since customers would be more willing to spend on a keyboard or controller accessory than a secondary phone. The really small Israeli phone company Modu had a similar approach, albeit a bit more extreme as the core component was just a basic phone. already has the tech for it, it was used on the P910i keyboard. The form factor may be different, but the connector was essentially the same. It's not a major change in the unit itself, just provisions for external keypads/keyboards. Considering that the ray is about half the thickness of the Pro, it shouldn't be too difficult to make an external keyboard attachment that isn't too thick.

1. By scaling the same internal architecture across various sizes and form factors, it helps SE control their costs somewhat; I'm pretty sure Qualcomm cut SE a helluva good deal on the MSM8255, enough to compensate for the costs of the components.

2. How are they spreading themselves too thin? They cover the vital segments effectively through 5 of their XPERIAs (the minis outperform the low-end, the neo/pro are competent in the midrange, and the arc is somewhat uncompetitive in the high-end); arguably, three of their models detract from efficiency: the active (a simple rebody of the mini; I can't imagine the extra costs being too high for it), the ray (I'm not entirely sure what they were thinking since it's basically in its own category, but it's being received well thus far), and the PLAY (which I feel shouldn't have been bothered with, but everyone else in the world was screaming for it anyway).

3. But what about when the bottom panel is slid out? Among things, you'd have to program the OS to handle not just the alternate keys for a keyboard, but also custom buttons and the stupid fake analog circles in addition to some mechanism to recognize which one you've got plugged in; the pros only need to be customized for the keyboard, while the play only needs to be customized for the PS pad. SE was slow in the past when it came to customized software; wouldn't you rather they kept things as uncomplicated as possible?

4. The P910's keyboard was terrible and unergonomic. I had a detachable keyboard for my old Clié. It was clunky and it meant I had to carry around an extra keyboard. They actually had a detachable game controller for the Clié, as well. It was just as clunky and cumbersome as the keyboard. If someone wants a phone with a keyboard, they'd buy a phone with a keyboard. Worst comes to worst, the phone has bluetooth; thanks to the iPhone and the iPad, there's been an incase in portable/mini bluetooth keyboards on the market.
FMW300
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2011-10-02 19:33
Live has started shipping!
Unboxing here
T230 > W300 > W890 > W705 > Live > Xperia T > Xperia Z2a > Xperia X > Xperia XZ2
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-10-02 20:01
Looks quite decent
Phone?? What phone??
rikken
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-10-02 20:01
Looks like a charming little fella
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-10-02 20:07
Like me
Phone?? What phone??
roanmy
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2011-10-06 17:26
So I've been thinking about getting one of these in white, but I saw it IRL today and... Am I the only one that finds the back cover EXTREMELY cheap?
Currently NExus 4, but want Xperia ZR.
FMW300
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2011-10-08 18:38
Anyone bought a Live yet?
Please list what you received in the box....
[ This Message was edited by: FMW300i on 2011-11-12 16:56 ]
T230 > W300 > W890 > W705 > Live > Xperia T > Xperia Z2a > Xperia X > Xperia XZ2
FMW300
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2011-11-12 17:56
In some markets, a livesound headset is packaged.
I wish there were interchangeable coloured back panels though, like X8, minis etc....
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-12-08 15:09
Walkmam Live in white now only £99 on Three network. A few reviews have said it's decent.
Phone?? What phone??
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-12-27 16:13
A decent review of the ever dying Walkman brand The Walkman Live has a a good price & as good a specs as the Mini's
www.phonearena.com/reviews/So[....]ive-with-Walkman-Review_id2936
Phone?? What phone??
mode
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2011-12-28 12:35

On 2011-12-27 16:13:14, Bonovox wrote:
A decent review of the ever dying Walkman brand u

Ever dying because they insult our intelligence by providing a basic player with no advanced manual eq option etc and slap a brand name on top of it. Audiophiles who apparently are the target market certainly won't touch it, just us loyal fanboys. If they say Android offers extensive options, why slap the Walkman brand there in the first place if it gets owned by Poweramp? They are so full of silly paradox, creating more holes into their sinking ship. Arc S with a pea sized internal disk space is a recipe for lagginess which they have perfected, thanks to no sense at all from the department upstairs. No sense at all these buggers.
Ericsson EH97, GA628, GF768, A2618s, T29s Sony Ericsson T68i, S700i, P990i, Z558i, W902, W995, X10, Arc S
*Xperia V*White*Black MW600*Sandisk Mobile Ultra 64GB microSDXC*
arcmhyke
Sony Xperia TX
PM
Posted: 2011-12-28 16:54
My friend bought this 2 days ago, and I got a chance to play with the device and here are some what i can say about Live with Walkman

Pro's
+Very Very Loud and Clear Stereo Speakers
+3.2" Screen is a Joy for a compact Android Phone
+Light Effects when Playing Music
+Walkman Button
+Nicely Positioned Camera Sensor/Speaker/Camera Shutter and 3.5mm Jack
+Great Design, Fits in Palm and easy to Hold
+Front Facing Camera
+Price 8,800php($203) only

Con's
-Not a Reality Display(display is kinda bit darker)
-No Bravia Engine
-No Custom Equalizer
-Just Ordinary Headset Included
-Pixel Density for HVGA is not great on 3.2"
-Ordinary Walkman Player nothing Speacial(No Karaoke, No Visualization, No Zappin etc)

But I think and IMHO that this is better than Mini/Mini Pro, it's just too bad that Walkman got a little thing on this device, but with this kind of price it's really hard to beat or compare to other phones
[ This Message was edited by: mhyke on 2011-12-28 15:58 ]
Phone: Sony Xperia TX LT29i
Camera: Cyber-shot DSC QX10
Speaker: SRS BTV5 Wireless Speaker
Headset: MW1 Smart Wireless Headset pro | MH EX300AP
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-12-28 19:56
Well it's currently only £99 on Three. Phones Arena did also say the camera was decent.
Phone?? What phone??
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi