Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Android > Warning against Xperia Neo

Author Warning against Xperia Neo
Del
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-09-19 18:18
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I had a look at one of these today and I must say I was very impressed by it, so much so that I will be getting one this weekend
Brought to you straight from the event horizon of a quantum singularity.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-09-20 03:40

On 2011-09-19 16:09:57, mr_lou wrote:
max, it's not a question of which version of Android is installed. That doesn't matter.

It's a question of which firmware version is installed.

Version 3.0.1.A.0.145 gives mono sound in video-recordings, and the volume is good.
Version 4.0.A.2.368 gives stereo sound in video-recordings, and the volume is way too low.

Some Neo's comes with 3.0.1.A.0.145 and some comes with 4.0.A.2.368.
If you're on 3.0.1.A.0.145 I strongly advise you to NOT update.

Actually I did wonder, infact I saw the "build number" but for some reason didn't equate this to "firmware version". But yes, I have 3.0.1.A.0.145. I won't update, atleast not unless a port of audio drivers becomes possible.

Funnily when I checked for updates (not to perform them, just to see if one is available) I was told my device has the latest software! So the 4 version must not be released for my region yet.
mr_lou
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-09-20 09:56

On 2011-09-20 03:40:56, max_wedge wrote:
Funnily when I checked for updates (not to perform them, just to see if one is available) I was told my device has the latest software! So the 4 version must not be released for my region yet.

Either that, or else SE has realized there's a problem with the new firmware.
I've seen two examples now, where an Xperia Arc has problems installing from Market, after it's been updated to the new firmware. And my Ray (running the same new firmware) also has problems installing from Market quite often. Too often.
It's no problem going online, nor even to browse the Market, but to install apps is difficult. Mostly it just keeps hanging.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-09-20 14:58

On 2011-09-20 09:56:01, mr_lou wrote:

On 2011-09-20 03:40:56, max_wedge wrote:

Either that, or else SE has realized there's a problem with the new firmware.
I've seen two examples now, where an Xperia Arc has problems installing from Market, after it's been updated to the new firmware. And my Ray (running the same new firmware) also has problems installing from Market quite often. Too often.
It's no problem going online, nor even to browse the Market, but to install apps is difficult. Mostly it just keeps hanging.

Very interesting. So I'm wondering now if it's worth rooting my Neo, since it involves back dating to Android 2.3.2, rooting, and then updating back up to 2.3.2.

I guess the question is what's really useful in 2.3.3 that I can/can't live without, or if I do downgrade/root/upgrade - will I get version 3 or version 4 firmware?

If the video problem is that bad, I probably won't root or upgrade firmware until ice cream sandwich comes out.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi