Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Android > Xperia active Official Thread

Author Xperia active Official Thread
MNX1024
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2011-06-24 05:11
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2011-06-24 04:55:57, mode wrote:
That's like saying you expect SLR quality photos from a mobile phone As it is a cellphone, it only makes sense to have aGPS as it could utilize the cellphone signal to get the initial lock. If you are an actual professional, you should stick to specific standalone devices, just like a professional photographer should stick to SLRs instead of image centric mobile phones, no?
[ This Message was edited by: mode on 2011-06-24 03:59 ]

Well, the funny thing is, this phone is just missing only the GPS receiver to be an SLR . It has a Barometer, compass, and ant+ on it, which are all the feature all high end cycling computer has. It's even water and scratch resistance, which most computers don't even have this feature. With the barometer, I can track my elevation, how much climbing and descending I did. Ant+, I can pair all kinds of sensors and meters to it. The compass, I guess it's a little extra, but will help with navigation if I get lost . Hence I'm complaining, it's missing that one little feature. Which does not bring the cost up much at all for it to be one complete device that can replace the high end computers out there.
[ This Message was edited by: MNX1024 on 2011-06-24 04:23 ]
mode
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2011-06-24 05:24
I see your point, maybe you can take it up to SE Product Blog, they seem to listen to customer feedback, you might get your winner in the future But then again, from what I understand, the phone is equipped with GPS receiver, only made to be enhanced with network support hence the 'a' prefix in cases where sattelite signal is lost and can only be triangulated with the network signal. So in other words, it has GPS, and we don't even know how sensitive it is, so why don't you give it a go first and find out, for all you know your frustration might be unfounded
[ This Message was edited by: mode on 2011-06-24 04:31 ]
Ericsson EH97, GA628, GF768, A2618s, T29s Sony Ericsson T68i, S700i, P990i, Z558i, W902, W995, X10, Arc S
*Xperia V*White*Black MW600*Sandisk Mobile Ultra 64GB microSDXC*
lolstebbo
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2011-06-24 05:42

On 2011-06-24 04:25:47, MNX1024 wrote:
Before I start, I do not intend to be rude or try to insult anyone, but what I may say may/will sound aggressive.

From what I can tell, most of you don't even know what I'm trying to get through to you guys. Mainly due to the fact that, I'm assuming, you guys are not serious cyclists or athletes that actually train with a computer, an electronic devices that can track your records, such as Heart Rate, Speed, Cadence, Wattage, and/or etc.

First, let me give you a device to compare with the Xperia Active:
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=160&pID=36728
This here is a cycling computer that uses a High Sensitivity GPS receiver. I also personally own one these.

What I'm trying to get to you guys is that, as a serious cyclist, the data I record for my rides are very important. While I'm on my 8 hour bicycle rides, which spans over 100+ miles, I would be bound to reach spots that have extremely weak GPS signal. With an aGPS I can guarantee you guys that I would lose signal somewhere along my rides. So, if I'm on airplane mode, and I'm constantly moving, there is almost no chance I can recover a signal. Even if I do recover signal, it would take god knows how long for it to. Therefore, I have lost that part of my training data. Now, if I were to use the Garmin Edge 500, these problem would not even happen. I will not lose signal, if the signal is extremely low, at most my speed would be slightly inaccurate.

Let's continue to airplane mode, without data to provide a more accurate of your position, an aGPS will not be as accurate compared to a High Sensitivity GPS receiver. So for cars, it's fine, you don't need to record your speed. For cyclist and other athletes, yes, an accurate telling of our speed is necessary for training data. Heck, I may even argue, even with data, I highly doubt it's as accurate as a High Sensitivity GPS receiver. So, if I'm using it as a training device, and my rides last 8 hours, I don't think I want to turn on data.

Some of you may say a good way to alleviate the issue of losing signal is turn on data and reconnect, then turn the phone back on airplane mode. Well, I even eat and drink while I ride on my bicycle, there's no way in hell I'd plan to stop during rides unless there's traffic, red light, and/or something important happens.

Now, to my main point. This device is suppose to aim at enthusiast athlete. Which mean people that takes training seriously. Therefore accurate training data is required, meaning that a High Sensitivity GPS Receiver is a better choice than a aGPS.

If they had use a High Sensitivity GPS Receiver, they could've trump this following device:
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=160&pID=69043 (Which is a top of the line cycling computer)
because that thing cost $450USD and only offers a low resolution resistive screen with maps that you may have to pay for later if you want to update. In terms of price, the active could even be cheaper(assumption here).

I hope I got my point through with what I just said. And please, don't mind this essay of mine .
[ This Message was edited by: MNX1024 on 2011-06-24 03:27 ]

I'm going to be just as aggressive, then, but I also don't mean to be insulting.

Then, as mode has indicated, you clearly need a separate GPS unit. If you're seriously expecting a phone that is really just a ruggedized Xperia mini with some additional functionality to be able to also perform the function of a a GPS unit designed specifically for enthusiast athletes, you've got incredibly misguided expectations.

For instance, Cybershot phones target people that want a phone that can perform well for photography, but I'm not going to expect a Cybershot to be able to replace my SLR the next time I need to go on a shooting gig.

If Cybershot phones used 1/1.63" sensor, offered full PSAM controls, had actual glass lenses, and featured a fast aperture, then Sony Ericsson could trump enthusiast-level point-and-shoots. If Walkman phones had full EQ control, actually good sound chips, and full codec support, it could trump most PMPs. There's boatloads of such arguments that could be made for anything, but what it comes down to is: it's a damn cellphone. It has some additional functionality that can be of use to particular target demographics, but if you're expecting a cellphone to replace some sort of dedicated equipment, then keep dreaming.
[ This Message was edited by: lolstebbo on 2011-06-24 04:45 ]
MNX1024
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2011-06-24 06:42

On 2011-06-24 05:24:42, mode wrote:
I see your point, maybe you can take it up to SE Product Blog, they seem to listen to customer feedback, you might get your winner in the future But then again, from what I understand, the phone is equipped with GPS receiver, only made to be enhanced with network support hence the 'a' prefix in cases where sattelite signal is lost and can only be triangulated with the network signal. So in other words, it has GPS, and we don't even know how sensitive it is, so why don't you give it a go first and find out, for all you know your frustration might be unfounded
[ This Message was edited by: mode on 2011-06-24 04:31 ]

Ok ok, I admit, I was too lazy to put "High Sensitivity GPS Receiver" instead of GPS on my first sentence . Guess it's time to take my point up to their Product Blog, wish me luck . And yes, I do know what an aGPS is, but I highly doubt it can even compete with a "High Sensitivity Receiver". It just dumb founds me that they include a barometer, but not a "High Sensitivity GPS Receiver".

On 2011-06-24 05:42:48, lolstebbo wrote:

I'm going to be just as aggressive, then, but I also don't mean to be insulting.

Then, as mode has indicated, you clearly need a separate GPS unit. If you're seriously expecting a phone that is really just a ruggedized Xperia mini with some additional functionality to be able to also perform the function of a a GPS unit designed specifically for enthusiast athletes, you've got incredibly misguided expectations.

For instance, Cybershot phones target people that want a phone that can perform well for photography, but I'm not going to expect a Cybershot to be able to replace my SLR the next time I need to go on a shooting gig.

If Cybershot phones used 1/1.63" sensor, offered full PSAM controls, had actual glass lenses, and featured a fast aperture, then Sony Ericsson could trump enthusiast-level point-and-shoots. If Walkman phones had full EQ control, actually good sound chips, and full codec support, it could trump most PMPs. There's boatloads of such arguments that could be made for anything, but what it comes down to is: it's a damn cellphone. It has some additional functionality that can be of use to particular target demographics, but if you're expecting a cellphone to replace some sort of dedicated equipment, then keep dreaming.
[ This Message was edited by: lolstebbo on 2011-06-24 04:45 ]

I do not believe I'm misguided. By using a "High Sensitivity GPS Receiver" instead of an aGPS is feasible, unlike the modification you just mention. It will probably only warrant a $50(could be a little more since it's SE) increase and changes to the dimensions in millimeters. Unless SE decide to market this device for under $200USD, but I highly doubt it with specs like that. Also, this thing can already replaced a dedicated cycling computer because it has a barometer and ant+ module in it. All we got to do pair up a cadence/speed sensor, Heart Rate Monitor, and/or a power meter to it and I can display wattage, speed, heart rate, and cadence. The thing is, if they just tweak it a little by using a "High Sensitivity GPS Receiver" instead of an aGPS. With that, the "High Sensitivity GPS Receiver" can act as my odometer and I don't need a cadence/speed sensor. Meaning I don't have to attach all those sensor onto my bike.
lolstebbo
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2011-06-24 08:59

I do not believe I'm misguided. By using a "High Sensitivity GPS Receiver" instead of an aGPS is feasible, unlike the modification you just mention. It will probably only warrant a $50(could be a little more since it's SE) increase and changes to the dimensions in millimeters. Unless SE decide to market this device for under $200USD, but I highly doubt it with specs like that. Also, this thing can already replaced a dedicated cycling computer because it has a barometer and ant+ module in it. All we got to do pair up a cadence/speed sensor, Heart Rate Monitor, and/or a power meter to it and I can display wattage, speed, heart rate, and cadence. The thing is, if they just tweak it a little by using a "High Sensitivity GPS Receiver" instead of an aGPS. With that, the "High Sensitivity GPS Receiver" can act as my odometer and I don't need a cadence/speed sensor. Meaning I don't have to attach all those sensor onto my bike.

I had a medium-length response written, but my browser crashed. So TL;DR: the modifications I mention require probably about the same overall costs in resources and engineering that you mention. While the functionality would be good to have, it's clear that SE isn't aiming at the hardcore, just at the active (Case in point: they stuck with Maria Sharapova for the promo instead of featuring other athletes as well).

Also, the only thing High Sensitivity GPS has over standard and assisted GPS is simply additional sensitivity. If you bike through tunnels, underground passages, or buildings (and, I guess, ridiculously thick forests), then having High Sensitivity GPS would be crucial. Otherwise, aGPS will work just fine. There are apps that have odometer and tracking functionality.
smclion102
T610
PM
Posted: 2011-07-17 16:00
Xperia active - yes, it is waterproof!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G15lKDrrLc

EPIC
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-07-27 05:33
YAY! if it's 30min at 1m, then that has the same rating as the old R310s I had... AND IT COMES IN ORANGE (my fav color) ... now... this or the ray...
odoylefm
C510 Black
PM
Posted: 2011-09-30 14:33
The Sony Ericsson UK site is showing as "New" (although United States is still showing "Coming Soon").

http://www.sonyericsson.com/c[....]view/xperia-active?cc=gb&lc=en

Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-09-30 15:00
How much is it sim free?? This could be a good device for clumsy people. Though I hate that horrible hook
Phone?? What phone??
sigtuna
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2011-09-30 18:19
Now in stock
http://www.phonehouse.se/Mobiltelefoner/Sony-Ericsson
rog
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2011-09-30 20:44
And here is the Unboxing video:

http://www.se-first.com/Xperia-active-Unboxing-Video.html
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-10-06 16:42
This device is now showing as in stock here on www.play.com
Phone?? What phone??
misserda
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2011-10-06 17:32
Here are some nice reviews and compares of the three top sport-called phones:

SE Xperia Active
yuunanase
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-10-07 13:36
I just received mine today, however not what I expect it to be. It is a Billabong version.

I quite like the colour though
venus, kiki, vulcan, rachael, anzu, akane, nozomi, hikari, hayabusa, tsubasa, yuga, togari, honami, sirius, leo, ivy, surime
mariozlp
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2011-10-07 16:17
^^nice
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi