Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Android > Xperia active Official Thread

Author Xperia active Official Thread
mode
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2011-06-22 19:33
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2011-06-22 17:38:26, MNX1024 wrote:
I was just about to get this to replace my cycling computer, but after reading the specs, it became a no.

This is suppose to be a sports phone..... A real GPS is expected, not an aGPS. Freaking ridiculous!!!! This is a big mistake on SE's end.

LOL. You get aGPS just by switching on wireless networks (network assisted GPS to get faster lock, hence aGPS), otherwise it's just GPS. In other words, if you have aGPS, you can always turn off the 'a' prefix to simply use GPS. What on earth do you think aGPS means to be so pissed off?
Ericsson EH97, GA628, GF768, A2618s, T29s Sony Ericsson T68i, S700i, P990i, Z558i, W902, W995, X10, Arc S
*Xperia V*White*Black MW600*Sandisk Mobile Ultra 64GB microSDXC*
MNX1024
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2011-06-22 19:35

On 2011-06-22 19:07:36, lolstebbo wrote:

aGPS uses the mobile network to assist in getting an initial lock on your position. Once that initial position is acquired, the GPS positioning lock is active unless reception with GPS satellites is lost.

Yeah, as a cyclist that rides at 20+ MPH, I don't want to stop to fix a GPS issue, heck most of my group rides are like 23+ MPH. I would be dropped by the time I stop and fix it. Also, this is a marketed as a sports oriented device, why do I , the user, have to spend 5 minutes to get it to work. Whereas I can just turn it on and it would just work without me fiddling with it? With a high sensitivity receiver, I don't have to deal with this whole ordeal.

I do have to admit, this device is great for your everyday joe or recreational jogger who wants to have an all in one device.
[ This Message was edited by: MNX1024 on 2011-06-22 18:37 ]
mode
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2011-06-22 19:41

On 2011-06-22 19:35:58, MNX1024 wrote:

aGPS uses the mobile network to assist in getting an initial lock on your position. Once that initial position is acquired, the GPS positioning lock is active unless reception with GPS satellites is lost.

Yeah, as a cyclist that rides at 20+ MPH, I don't want to stop to fix a GPS issue, heck most of my group rides are like 23+ MPH. I would be dropped by the time I stop and fix it. Also, this is a marketed as a sports oriented device, why do I , the user, have to spend 5 minutes to get it to work. Whereas I can just turn it on and it would just work without me fiddling with it? With a high sensitivity receiver, I don't have to deal with this whole ordeal.

I do have to admit, this device is great for your everyday joe or recreational jogger who wants to have an all in one device.

My X10 GPS (locks in at 2 secs with aGPS) works flawlessly while driving from 55-80+MPH, I'm sure it can take your 20+MPH
Ericsson EH97, GA628, GF768, A2618s, T29s Sony Ericsson T68i, S700i, P990i, Z558i, W902, W995, X10, Arc S
MNX1024
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2011-06-22 19:48

On 2011-06-22 19:41:17, mode wrote:

My X10 GPS (locks in at 2 secs with aGPS) works flawlessly while driving from 55-80+MPH, I'm sure it can take your 20+MPH

Has nothing to do with how fast I'm going. I'm just saying the fact that I don't want to stop and in certain situation, I can't stop just to fix something. Therefore a high sensitivity sensor would be a better choice than an aGPS. Instead of taking 15 minute for it to fix on to a signal without data, it can just get a fix within a matter of second. In this case, inorder for me to alleviate this issue, I would have to stop my ride and fix it manually. That takes up my training time.
Arne Anka
Sony Xperia P
PM
Posted: 2011-06-22 21:25

On 2011-06-22 19:48:25, MNX1024 wrote:
Instead of taking 15 minute for it to fix on to a signal without data, it can just get a fix within a matter of second.

In airplane mode i.e. when all data and radio signals (except GPS) is disabled, my X10 takes like 5-10 sec to lock onto satelites. This is because network data is cached locally on the phone, so you do not need constant contact with the network.
[ This Message was edited by: Arne Anka on 2011-06-22 20:29 ]
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2011-06-23 03:49
Imagine if this could also come in Hatha Violet colour version like W710 (too lazy to change the color theme of the display )

or gray

[ This Message was edited by: razec on 2011-06-23 02:51 ]
10 years at Esato
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-06-23 04:16

I totally agree. I was initially skeptical with my X10 MP aGPS since past aGPS phones never had a real GPS chip and just cheated by using network info.

Initial cold-start lock of a Garmin is faster IF aGPS on the Mini Pro is disabled. Garmin takes about a min, X10MP about 30sec longer. Regular start, both take anywhere between 10-30 sec depending on weather conditions. With aGPS on, the X10MP gets a lock almost instantly on app startup.

Two apps I love on my X10 Mini Pro are MyTracks and MapDroyd. MyTracks needs data enabled only for initially loading/drawing the map... not for recording info.
mode
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2011-06-23 08:55

Has nothing to do with how fast I'm going. I'm just saying the fact that I don't want to stop and in certain situation, I can't stop just to fix something. Therefore a high sensitivity sensor would be a better choice than an aGPS. Instead of taking 15 minute for it to fix on to a signal without data, it can just get a fix within a matter of second. In this case, inorder for me to alleviate this issue, I would have to stop my ride and fix it manually. That takes up my training time.

Understood. But I never had loss of connection with the sattelite signal before whilst on GPS. As I said, in my experience X10 has been flawless while driving, so I don't see how Active would be any different. If anything it should perform even better
[ This Message was edited by: mode on 2011-06-23 07:57 ]
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-06-23 09:19
The GPS on the latest SE phones lock on in less than a minute. I just leave mine on all the time.

I would be surprised if this phone only had aGPS. The spec sheet could be wrong.
[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2011-06-23 08:43 ]
Arne Anka
Sony Xperia P
PM
Posted: 2011-06-23 12:05

On 2011-06-23 09:19:11, goldenface wrote:
I would be surprised if this phone only had aGPS. The spec sheet could be wrong.

As I mentioned earlier, even in air plane mode the GPS can lock instantly since required info about satellite positions is cached locally on the phone. Try it out and you'll see.
gayannr
Xperia Mini Pro Black
PM
Posted: 2011-06-23 12:59
Jeez! Get a life guys
aGPS is a better 'GPS' So don't worry.
My X10Mini locks on to satellites within less than 10s even in the Airplane mode
lolstebbo
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2011-06-24 02:40

And, as the rest of us have been saying, aGPS is just standard GPS (requires 3-4 satellite locks to confirm your location). It just uses cellular networks to help acquire the lock faster. If you lose your cellular phone signal, you don't lose your GPS bearings. If you lose your GPS bearings but still have cellular phone signal, then your phone can re-locate your exact bearings much more quickly than a standard GPS device. The use of cellular network triangulation has absolutely no effect on the aGPS system's ability to maintain a signal. If you have problems maintaining signal on an aGPS device, you'll have problems with a standard GPS device as well.
MNX1024
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2011-06-24 04:25

On 2011-06-24 02:40:30, lolstebbo wrote:

And, as the rest of us have been saying, aGPS is just standard GPS (requires 3-4 satellite locks to confirm your location). It just uses cellular networks to help acquire the lock faster. If you lose your cellular phone signal, you don't lose your GPS bearings. If you lose your GPS bearings but still have cellular phone signal, then your phone can re-locate your exact bearings much more quickly than a standard GPS device. The use of cellular network triangulation has absolutely no effect on the aGPS system's ability to maintain a signal. If you have problems maintaining signal on an aGPS device, you'll have problems with a standard GPS device as well.

Before I start, I do not intend to be rude or try to insult anyone, but what I may say may/will sound aggressive.

From what I can tell, most of you don't even know what I'm trying to get through to you guys. Mainly due to the fact that, I'm assuming, you guys are not serious cyclists or athletes that actually train with a computer, an electronic devices that can track your records, such as Heart Rate, Speed, Cadence, Wattage, and/or etc.

First, let me give you a device to compare with the Xperia Active:
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=160&pID=36728
This here is a cycling computer that uses a High Sensitivity GPS receiver. I also personally own one these.

What I'm trying to get to you guys is that, as a serious cyclist, the data I record for my rides are very important. While I'm on my 8 hour bicycle rides, which spans over 100+ miles, I would be bound to reach spots that have extremely weak GPS signal. With an aGPS I can guarantee you guys that I would lose signal somewhere along my rides. So, if I'm on airplane mode, and I'm constantly moving, there is almost no chance I can recover a signal. Even if I do recover signal, it would take god knows how long for it to. Therefore, I have lost that part of my training data. Now, if I were to use the Garmin Edge 500, these problem would not even happen. I will not lose signal, if the signal is extremely low, at most my speed would be slightly inaccurate.

Let's continue to airplane mode, without data to provide a more accurate of your position, an aGPS will not be as accurate compared to a High Sensitivity GPS receiver. So for cars, it's fine, you don't need to record your speed. For cyclist and other athletes, yes, an accurate telling of our speed is necessary for training data. Heck, I may even argue, even with data, I highly doubt it's as accurate as a High Sensitivity GPS receiver. So, if I'm using it as a training device, and my rides last 8 hours, I don't think I want to turn on data.

Some of you may say a good way to alleviate the issue of losing signal is turn on data and reconnect, then turn the phone back on airplane mode. Well, I even eat and drink while I ride on my bicycle, there's no way in hell I'd plan to stop during rides unless there's traffic, red light, and/or something important happens.

Now, to my main point. This device is suppose to aim at enthusiast athlete. Which mean people that takes training seriously. Therefore accurate training data is required, meaning that a High Sensitivity GPS Receiver is a better choice than a aGPS.

If they had use a High Sensitivity GPS Receiver, they could've trump this following device:
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=160&pID=69043 (Which is a top of the line cycling computer)
because that thing cost $450USD and only offers a low resolution resistive screen with maps that you may have to pay for later if you want to update. In terms of price, the active could even be cheaper(assumption here).

I hope I got my point through with what I just said. And please, don't mind this essay of mine .
[ This Message was edited by: MNX1024 on 2011-06-24 03:27 ]
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2011-06-24 04:34
Please, just quote the necessary! We don't need to break a Guinness Record. Thanks.
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
mode
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2011-06-24 04:55

Before I start, I do not intend to be rude or try to insult anyone, but what I may say may/will sound aggressive.

From what I can tell, most of you don't even know what I'm trying to get through to you guys. Mainly due to the fact that, I'm assuming, you guys are not serious cyclists or athletes that actually train with a computer, an electronic devices that can track your records, such as Heart Rate, Speed, Cadence, Wattage, and/or etc.

First, let me give you a device to compare with the Xperia Active:
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=160&pID=36728
This here is a cycling computer that uses a High Sensitivity GPS receiver. I also personally own one these.

What I'm trying to get to you guys is that, as a serious cyclist, the data I record for my rides are very important. While I'm on my 8 hour bicycle rides, which spans over 100+ miles, I would be bound to reach spots that have extremely weak GPS signal. With an aGPS I can guarantee you guys that I would lose signal somewhere along my rides. So, if I'm on airplane mode, and I'm constantly moving, there is almost no chance I can recover a signal. Even if I do recover signal, it would take god knows how long for it to. Therefore, I have lost that part of my training data. Now, if I were to use the Garmin Edge 500, these problem would not even happen. I will not lose signal, if the signal is extremely low, at most my speed would be slightly inaccurate.

Let's continue to airplane mode, without data to provide a more accurate of your position, an aGPS will not be as accurate compared to a High Sensitivity GPS receiver. So for cars, it's fine, you don't need to record your speed. For cyclist and other athletes, yes, an accurate telling of our speed is necessary for training data. Heck, I may even argue, even with data, I highly doubt it's as accurate as a High Sensitivity GPS receiver. So, if I'm using it as a training device, and my rides last 8 hours, I don't think I want to turn on data.

Some of you may say a good way to alleviate the issue of losing signal is turn on data and reconnect, then turn the phone back on airplane mode. Well, I even eat and drink while I ride on my bicycle, there's no way in hell I'd plan to stop during rides unless there's traffic, red light, and/or something important happens.

Now, to my main point. This device is suppose to aim at enthusiast athlete. Which mean people that takes training seriously. Therefore accurate training data is required, meaning that a High Sensitivity GPS Receiver is a better choice than a aGPS.

If they had use a High Sensitivity GPS Receiver, they could've trump this following device:
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=160&pID=69043 (Which is a top of the line cycling computer)
because that thing cost $450USD and only offers a low resolution resistive screen with maps that you may have to pay for later if you want to update. In terms of price, the active could even be cheaper(assumption here).

I hope I got my point through with what I just said. And please, don't mind this essay of mine .
[ This Message was edited by: MNX1024 on 2011-06-24 03:27 ]

That's like saying you expect SLR quality photos from a mobile phone As it is a cellphone, it only makes sense to have aGPS as it could utilize the cellphone signal to get the initial lock. If you are an actual professional, you should stick to specific standalone devices, just like a professional photographer should stick to SLRs instead of image centric mobile phones, no?
[ This Message was edited by: mode on 2011-06-24 03:59 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi