Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Android > Sony Ericsson W8 Android Walkman Official Thread

Author Sony Ericsson W8 Android Walkman Official Thread
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-04-22 10:02
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
The last three Walkman phones were all budget too. Zylo,Spiro and that rubbish cheap touch screen one they made that was not Android. I know they need to cater for budget that's fine. But don't Sony Ericsson think they may need to compete with say the likes of Apple with a top music device?? Or do they not think their loyal fans want a top of the range music device?? This is just an x8 with a Walkman badge on it nothing else.
Phone?? What phone??
roanmy
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2011-04-22 12:10
It seems that a lot of people are forgetting that most people buy cheap phones like this, not Arc, X10, Desire etc...
Also, this phone is intended mostly for markets that are relatively poor, so if it's cheap, it's still a pretty good deal for a lot of people.
Currently NExus 4, but want Xperia ZR.
S4k1s
Sony Xperia Z5
PM
Posted: 2011-04-22 13:29

On 2011-04-22 12:10:26, roanmy wrote:
It seems that a lot of people are forgetting that most people buy cheap phones like this, not Arc, X10, Desire etc...
Also, this phone is intended mostly for markets that are relatively poor, so if it's cheap, it's still a pretty good deal for a lot of people.

No, the problem we have with this phone is that it is branded without having any features.
noah09
Model not set
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-04-22 14:42
The device is a real steal... and aiming at the Walkman series
Great device and the Best part is Android technology....
Phoner
Aino Black
PM
Posted: 2011-04-22 16:23
You must be joking...
arcmhyke
Sony Xperia TX
PM
Posted: 2011-04-22 17:22
Don't you think that Sony Walkman Dept. is all behind all this and is not SE at all? that SE is just implementing what they have presented, and can't do anything but to agree?

If they really want to make Walkman they should have atleast set a Standard that they will be Unique
>Special Sound Enhancing Chip
>Stereo Loud Speakers
>Sophisticated Acoustic Earphones
>Dedicated Walkman Player
>Equalizer
>Higher Capacity Micro SD card

and not just branding an existing mobile
[ This Message was edited by: mhyke on 2011-04-22 16:25 ]
Phone: Sony Xperia TX LT29i
Camera: Cyber-shot DSC QX10
Speaker: SRS BTV5 Wireless Speaker
Headset: MW1 Smart Wireless Headset pro | MH EX300AP
mallaccra
K850 Green
PM
Posted: 2011-04-22 20:28
the way i look at it w8 is not a walkman phone, it's just a re-cosmetic of x8 hiding behind the walkman branding. i doubt any user will experience the true walkman features and later on will be disappointed and start complaining but again it's a personal preferences.....
mallaccra®
Xperia Z2 |D6503|4.4.2| Xperia Z1 |C6903|4.4.2| Xperia Z |C6603|4.2.2| Xperia ZL |C6502|4.2.2| Xperia TX |LT29i|4.1.2| Xperia Ion |LT28h|4.0.4| Xperia P |LT22i|4.1.2| Xperia J |ST26i|4.1.2| Aino
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2011-04-22 23:13
Its a disgrace.

They have everything they need to create a top of the range Walkman phone, but have chosen to ruin the brand (further) by slapping it on every low end phone imaginable.

The Sony Walkman line is discontinued and their is no reference to the Walkman sub-brand on the Sony Walkman website anymore (Crazzzy if you ask me), so I don't see why they cant use the Technology used in the Sony X series Walkman.

I would much rather have seen the Neo branded as a Walkman phone with all these musical wizadry in the X series Walkman's included.
[ This Message was edited by: 10123 on 2011-04-22 22:14 ]
NoroBiik
Xperia Mini Pro Black
PM
Posted: 2011-04-23 04:06

On 2011-04-21 20:44:18, Luhccas-U1a wrote:
The line doesn't need to be the music flagship for nowadays.
A shot in the foot is make all the portfolio a high-end paradise.
Some people don't need gimmicks like bubbles.
I've heard months ago that the X10 mini would be a failure of sales too...
And guess what?

are aiming on Xperia family.
Low-end devices are just a choice for who can't pay more than 200$ on a device.
And a low-end with good music features and low price is really a shot,but not on the foot.
Maybe "bulls eye",like the X10 Mini.
But,it's just for selected markets,nothing to care here...

SE is targetting the many countries in Asia experiencing a GDP growth 5-7x that of the US or Europe. This means that many families are moving up (though economic disparity is still great). Majority of these families have been Nokia users for many years - it's a foothold in a potentially big market who may be buying higher end phones soon.

Also we have to remember that this is a region where prepaid predominates, postpaid is a tiny minority in comparison so people here tend to pay more for their phones. Unlocked phones are much desired to the point that even people with subsidized postpaid phones often jailbreak them.
[ This Message was edited by: NoroBiik on 2011-04-23 03:42 ]
Shino03
S700
PM
Posted: 2011-04-23 04:48

On 2011-04-23 04:06:31, NoroBiik wrote:

On 2011-04-21 20:44:18, Luhccas-U1a wrote:
The line doesn't need to be the music flagship for nowadays.
A shot in the foot is make all the portfolio a high-end paradise.
Some people don't need gimmicks like bubbles.
I've heard months ago that the X10 mini would be a failure of sales too...
And guess what?

are aiming on Xperia family.
Low-end devices are just a choice for who can't pay more than 200$ on a device.
And a low-end with good music features and low price is really a shot,but not on the foot.
Maybe "bulls eye",like the X10 Mini.
But,it's just for selected markets,nothing to care here...

SE is targetting the many countries in Asia experiencing a GDP growth 5-7x that of the US or Europe. This means that many families are moving up (though economic disparity is still great). Majority of these families have been Nokia users for many years - it's a foothold in a potentially big market who may be buying higher end phones soon.

Also we have to remember that this is a region where prepaid predominates, postpaid is a tiny minority in comparison so people here tend to pay more for their phones. Unlocked phones are much desired to the point that even people with subsidized postpaid phones often jailbreak them.
[ This Message was edited by: NoroBiik on 2011-04-23 03:42 ]

I have to agree but why buy W8 if X8 is already available and probably cheaper. It doesn't make sense to me.
boy.in.PINK
Xperia X10 Mini Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-04-25 19:00
Really looks like a carbon copy of X8. They should release this instead of X8 and Yendo IMO. But it doesn't matter how I hate this, it will still surely sell in the target markets basically because of the branding. That means, fooling us, the citizens of the emerging markets which was targeted by the product, and it's kinda insulting. But then, nice move . Hope it won't fail like what happened to X8, X10 Mini and X10 Mini Pro.

I just hope that the application will be cracked then ported to other phones.
"Tell me what you have and I'll tell you who you are."
K700>G502>N82>GT-S5360>U20i>Innos D9
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-04-25 19:11
But doing this releasing a phone with the same features as the x8 in a new phone with another badge on it is embarrassing for And to me they are not competing hard enough in the budget segment compared to other manufacturers. If you look at HTC budget Android devices for instance. They all feature a decent camera of at least 5 meg with flash & AF. They also have better specs inside yet at a decent price. This imo is shameful for They are great in the mid to high end but budget offerings are terrible lately
Phone?? What phone??
boy.in.PINK
Xperia X10 Mini Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-04-25 19:21

On 2011-04-25 19:11:24, Bonovox wrote:
But doing this releasing a phone with the same features as the x8 in a new phone with another badge on it is embarrassing for And to me they are not competing hard enough in the budget segment compared to other manufacturers. If you look at HTC budget Android devices for instance. They all feature a decent camera of at least 5 meg with flash & AF. They also have better specs inside yet at a decent price. This imo is shameful for They are great in the mid to high end but budget offerings are terrible lately

Yes, it feels shameful for to do a carbon copy of X8. And yes, maybe the copied a better phone like X10 Mini. But the thing is, they should come up with better specs and design than copying a previously released phone (feels like reincarnation of the K750>W800; K550>W610 times).
"Tell me what you have and I'll tell you who you are."
K700>G502>N82>GT-S5360>U20i>Innos D9
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-04-25 19:34
Yeah,it's like a sloppy lazy way to release a new phone
Phone?? What phone??
noah09
Model not set
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-04-26 14:46
Is there any release date for W8????????
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi