Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Nokia > Rest in peace, Symbian

Author Rest in peace, Symbian
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-09-14 11:17
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Steve Litchfield's latest vodcast has some interesting thoughts on the subject of Symbian R.I.P.
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2011-09-14 11:43
@masseur

When you wrote 'interesting thoughts' I thought they would be interesting but I remembered this is Steve of 'All about Symbian' and I went in with that view into that podcast.

Well, it turns out he hasn't changed one bit, he is still holding on for dear life to Symbian. He went on to promote Nokia's Symbian phones and features that I started thinking of his site.

He says at the end that it is not yet Symbian's funeral which suggests that he at least is seeing that the writing is on the wall.

It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
altemyr
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2011-09-14 14:41
I bought my Satio about 2 years ago, and I'm sorry to say that me and Symbian never became good friends. After the first months and a couple of firmware updaes, the sharpest edges were removed, but the phone merely did it's job, not more. Most of the times, when a 3rd party developer announced an interesting app, it was available for iPhone and Android, but very seldomly for Symbian, and in those rare cases there actually was a Symbian version offered, I was usually redirected to OVI store, where I was not welcome, since I did not have a Nokia phone.
Just recently, I bought an Xperia Ray and I will probably never ever even consider a Symbian phone again.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-09-15 13:39
I'm pretty much the same. I love the Satio, it's been a great phone, but in spite of s60 not because of it. S60 is retarded. Slow and clunky, very little application support compared to iphone or android even though it's been out longer. Hard to find apps by searching all over, have to try numerous shit freeware/trialware apps before finding what you want, if you can find it at all.

The Satio homescreen is one of the few things that actually makes sense about s60, it's a brilliant addition to the s60 platform, I wish I could port it to my Samsung i8910. Ironic that the best thing about Satio OS is actually the SE shell.

Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2011-09-15 14:57
It must be awful to use Symbian at this point, i see many local business etc...designing great quality apps for iOS and Android e.g. First National Bank whom i bank with have an Android app that lets me do transactions, do VoIP calls using my bank balance from anywhere in the world, find nearest ATMs using GPS, keep track of my foreign exchange account etc... its made banking so simple, and such an app doesnt exist for Symbian, that alone has me put-off Symbian, i simply cant go back to crappy mobile site banking. Some tertiary institutes here are also in the process of creating smartphone apps for iOS, Android and BB as many students now own smartphones, many Airlines are also creating apps, and its sad to see Symbian be forgetten.

Apps have become very important part of owning a smartphone, funny thing is back in the day Symbian had plenty of apps, there was never a shortage, on a daily basis there were multiple apps, games, mods/tweaks etc...to be done, now all that has almost completely left Symbian, shame realy.s using GPS, keep track of my foreign exchange account etc... its made banking so simple, and such an app doesnt exist for Symbian, that alone has me put-off Symbian, i simply cant go back to crappy mobile site banking. Some tertiary institutes here are also in the process of creating smartphone apps for iOS, Android and BB as many students now own smartphones, many Airlines are also creating apps, and its sad to see Symbian be forgetten.

Apps have become very important part of owning a smartphone, funny thing is back in the day Symbian had plenty of apps, there was never a shortage, on a daily basis there were multiple apps, games, mods/tweaks etc...to be done, now all that has almost completely left Symbian, shame realy.

Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-09-15 15:48
I think or hope things will change for Symbian Belle. From what i have seen it looks very good. Not everyone needs apps but i guess yes business people may do. I hardly use any apps myself.
Phone?? What phone??
Bulb
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2011-09-15 17:02
It was good while it lasted, but I don't mind keeping up with modern technical evolution. So long, symbian!
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-09-16 02:24
But why is this thread even here?? Symbian is still not dead. Symbian Belle looks great.
Phone?? What phone??
Marly
Apple iPhone 6
PM
Posted: 2011-09-16 02:49
Belle does look very nice, we don't have it on our phones yet, as it's not yet available in an official version for my hubby's N8 and my E7 and we don't wanna spoil our phones, which are working flawlessly, with beta-versions.
"America: please don’t be a Dumpfkopf"
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-09-16 17:57
According to GSM Arena,Nokia N9 pre orders are through the roof
Phone?? What phone??
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-09-16 18:38
The funny thing is several years ago we were arguing over S60 and UIQ/A200, and as many (including myself) predicted back then s60 was dying off, but what we didn't expect at the time was that it's death knell would be ios and numerous samsung and htc devices riding the coattails of Android success. Nokia, and Symbian Foundation, completely failed to make s60 sexy enough (and app supported enough) to stem the bleedout to Android devices.

Meanwhile, SE hedged it's bets by going with s60 for vivaz and satio, and Android for X10, when perhaps they should have simply gone with Android for vivaz and satio as well. How I wish I could put android on my satio!

Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-09-16 18:45
Symbian Belle does look promising & it seems with a better version of Symbian & the N9 it still does show Nokia's popularity is still quite high overall. The N9 may well sell well by the sounds of it but why is it not released in UK I never know. The UK is one of the lucrative markets. But also Nokia is daft to only sell it sim free.
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-09-16 23:06
Lets face it, if there was no such thing as Android or Apple's iPhones, Symbian would still be riding high at the top of every smartphone league table. Symbian still does everything it did years ago and more, which for most people would have been enough all be it rather less pretty looking and more long winded than the more modern smartphone operating systems.

Symbian never stood a chance against Google or Apple, look who programs those two companies products, chilled out guys in comfy armchairs in spaceship style buildings whilst someone massages their feet and temples. Who programs Symbian ? a bunch of geeks and business men determined to make it great.. but know nothing about how to pull the ladies.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-09-17 06:23
haha, interesting characterisation etaab, I think some truth to it.

My main beef with s60 has always been it's clunkiness. It's never been the most stable or responsive of OS's.

I don't really care about the appearance of the UI, more the functionality. For example s60 touch has many small issues that make it a frustrating os to use, for example scrolling in lists - the ability get to the item just out of view is almost non-existant. You end up scrolling past it five times just to get to the item you want. That is if you don't just give up.

Finger scrolling in ios and android is far better.

And application support in s60 has just dived into nothingness. Application support for s60 had started to die off even before ios and android hit the market. Somewhere along the line Symbian failed to galvanise developers. If they had addressed this issue before iphone came around, they may have maintained an edge. Yes iphones have a cool ui, and many people were attracted to that, but more I think it was the app platform on iphone that revolutionised the way people see mobiles. Before that, anyone with a UIQ/s60 device could install apps, but finding them was a chore and then you had to pay upwards of $30 for anything decent. It wasn't something that the average "I don't know shit" end user could grapple with.

App markets have been proven by iOS and Android. No phone platform is going to make any serious kind of dent in marketshare without an application platform that has some kind of app store or market.

None of this means Nokia don't still make great phones, but if only enthusiasts will buy them, and be prepared to hunt around for expensive hard to find apps, then theaverage end user are going to be completely 'meh' about s60 phones.

And tbh, I'm no average end user myself, but I'm moving to Android from the Satio and Samsung i8910 not just because of the UI issue mentioned above, because app support for s60 is dead and I'm sick of not being able to get apps with even basic functionality let alone anything really useful.
[ This Message was edited by: max_wedge on 2011-09-17 05:35 ]
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-09-18 22:29
Yeah apart from all the deep business reasons about eco systems and the like, i still think a lot of it has to do with the people behind it too.

Google put their employees into a bizarre world where pleasure meets work and the two mix to combine a rather potent method of acheiving great inspiration and effeciency.

I bet Google employees love working for Google. The same with Apple. Im sure Symbian employees dont get the same priveleges, i bet some of them even hate their jobs.

As much of a fan of Symbian i am and have been for many years, they do not bring much inspiration to the table. Symbian Anna cannot really perform much more than Symbian did back in 2003, except for utilizing new hardware technologies.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi