Forum > General discussions > General > android vs symbian

Previous  1234  Next
Author android vs symbian
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-07-26 20:30
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I want to try something new soon. Bored with Android I know Belle is supposed to be more like Android in some respects with notifications & such. The N9 looks damn sexy imo
Phone?? What phone??
bl-gr-n
T280 Silver
PM
Posted: 2011-07-26 20:55
Nokia is going to bed with MS and WP7.5 Mango - Turning Symbian into an Android Look a like - IOS is still one of the two biggest Phone OSes.

There is also Palm/HP WebOS thought the hardware, the Pre3 and the Veer seems to be under par compared to much cheaper handsets from SE and others. Neither of them are available, yet.

Samsung have it's Bada.
There is something little called Megoo too.

And there are more Linux based phone OSes out there.

Androids biggest short-coming is that it needs (I prefer it with). Big screens >4" and fast CPUs >1GHz.
Got it all in a HTC Desire HD and is way more satisfied with the DHD than the 2.55" screen and 600MHz CPU in the X10 Mini.
Still such big phones are not so pocket friendly and hence I have again turning to Feature phones...
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2011-07-26 21:01
^ I feel the same way,, how can you go out running or cycling with a Galaxy S2 ? what, carry a separate bag for it? And if you drop it, it will feel like you dropped your child or something. No such issues with the N8. I am also very interested in holding the N9 in hand, it seems like it might be very close to a perfect balance in terms of size.

Microsoft's last chance against Linux is Nokia.. but I am not sure that is going to work for them all that well, and the sad part is that they might take Nokia down with them. How is Nokia going to compete against Wp7 mango phones from the Asian cartel is beyond me.. Everyone wants to have their own OS (which they have control over).. Sammy has bada, HP has webOS, Apple has iOS, Nokia has Symbian/MeeGo..but instead of keeping it, they want to be dependent on Microsoft,.it makes no sense whatsoever
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-07-26 21:39
I am always someone who likes change & try new things. I get bored easily with one OS. I would like to try a W7 Nokia & Meego too.
Phone?? What phone??
Marly
Apple iPhone 6
PM
Posted: 2011-07-27 01:30
Bono, I'm a little surprised you've never tried a N900, o.k., it's a brick , but once you get to know it, Maemo5 is great!
When they've managed to iron out Maemo5's few weaknesses in MeeGo, the sexy looking N9 should be one hell of a phone , unfortunately there probably will be no N9-series, only this device (and a N950 with slide-out QWERTY, for developers only).
[ This Message was edited by: Marly on 2011-07-27 00:35 ]
"America: please don’t be a Dumpfkopf"
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-07-27 01:58
Well the N9 is only going to be sim free in UK. So maybe Nokia are testing the waters first before networks taking it on to see if its popular.
Phone?? What phone??
mlife
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2011-08-04 08:47
Android or Symbian is only a matter of choice... for those who proclaim the power of android to be the end all be all, Id be curious what you do with your phone which can not be done on Symbian.

I work in a capacity where I can literally have ANY PHONE I want for FREE... I just have to put in the request.

I have recently used;
Apple iPhone4
Asus Padfone (PreRelease)
Moto Atrix, Xoom, X2, and Droid3,
Samsung Fascinate, Infuse, 10.1 tab and PreRelease NexusS,
Sony Play,
HTC Trophy (WM7), Inspire, Incredible2 and Thunderbolt.

... Not one of the device above ran for more than a week without REQUIRING a battery pull, soft or hard reset.... My Nokia has been running since I received it on Oct. 25th with not instance of REQUIRING a restart. And have you ever actually read through the Google terms of service when activating ANY Android device? Its pretty scary! Based on the amount of ownership they want over your personal content alone, ill just hang on to my Nokia for email, gps and all my personal contacts... I'll just continue to use my Droids for games, work calls/text and the apps I don't have via OVI.

IMO, go the symbian route and do without angry birds... you'll get a lot more work done and have a better long term phone.
[addsig]
Marly
Apple iPhone 6
PM
Posted: 2011-08-04 20:25

On 2011-08-04 08:47:11, mlife wrote:

And have you ever actually read through the Google terms of service when activating ANY Android device? Its pretty scary! Based on the amount of ownership they want over your personal content alone, ill just hang on to my Nokia for email, gps and all my personal contacts...

My thoughts exactly, I like to try out new things, so I'll buy an Android phone someday, but as a spare (or second or third) device, not as my main phone. I don't want my personal details and those of my friends and family, plus those of my bank account (using internet banking on my phone) and my whereabouts (using GPS) in the hands of Big Brother Google.
And no, I have absolutely nothing to hide, just want to keep my private data what they are: private.
[ This Message was edited by: Marly on 2011-08-04 19:33 ]
"America: please don’t be a Dumpfkopf"
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-08-04 20:35
This is all true. I still like the old way of Nokia doing things & not all my personal info everywhere. Depending on how much I like my new Xperia Mini I may move away from Android cos after a while it gets a little boring & samey. I am looking forward to what Nokia will do with Symbian Belle & Windows 7!! Though I do hope no personal info is shared with Microsoft
Phone?? What phone??
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2011-08-04 23:35
The lot of you act like it is an ABSOLUTE MUST to share ALL your info with Google. You do know there is an option to turn off Sync and turn off location tracking, you dont HAVE TO surrender all to "Big Brother", youare able to control ehst is shared and what is not.

If you are afraid of what you dont know is shared then i'd suggest leaving the internet, as even on your Symbian you are tracked all over the web, you dont HAVE TO do the cloud thing if you dont want to in Android.

I have personally had the N8 for a month and my 5800 for 2years, and i had to do forced restarts (N8) quite a lot in the month that i had it, not to mention reboots even while purchasing an app, yet with my X10 i can go months without rebooting it unless im switching sims.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max White Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
rikken
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-08-04 23:54
The N8 have been known for freezing
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2011-08-04 23:58
How do you know they dont collect info? Werent Google, Microsoft and Apple in trouble for collecting info, TWO of those own two of the largest Emailing systems, Gmail and Hotmail, so who's to say they are not taking data when you email using either one of those?
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2011-08-05 00:01

On 2011-08-04 23:54:23, rikken wrote:
The N8 have been known for freezing

Ndeed, in fact, NOKIA themselves have admitted that part of the reason they are closing many of their stores is due to the fact that they saw a lot more returns and less sales of their phones, especially high returns of their S3 smartphones, E7 and N8 to be specific,they have admittrd to many faults of those handsets themselves, so its not like its a small group experiencing issues.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-08-05 01:01
From what i read that was early models. I never had any issues with the N8
Phone?? What phone??
mlife
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2011-08-05 01:25
@ Bonovox - Must have been the earlier ones as I have had ZERO trouble with mine too.

@ Tsepz_GP - I might suggest you read through googles SA... They have rights to all data on that device weather or not you synchronize with their service and they open admit they collect this data. If I understood correctly they even archive photo, music, ring tone and other preferences you set, save, store or transmit with that device.... They really want to KNOW their users.

As Marly said "I have absolutely nothing to hide, just want to keep my private data what they are: private" .... I just personally don't feel like helping google build their database... Im not that import of a person, they don't need my info!
[addsig]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi