Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Nokia > Nokia reaffirms commitment to Symbian platform

Author Nokia reaffirms commitment to Symbian platform
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2010-11-12 21:04
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
False morel
Ive been satisfied and so have many others thus the huge growth in Android share.
What are these "major" aspects that Android is trailing behind in?
I do agree that Android's update to Gingerbread MAY not be as big as S^3, it makes sense as Android isn't in need of any major updates like Symbian is. The API level in Gingerbread is higher than Froyo though, and from what some have picked up in the latest Gmaps update, there is going to be a lot of tweaking under the hood, and even higher quality software.
By the way have Nokia now released the new dev tools for the new UI to app devs,as i read at AAS that these updates will require devs to update their apps to.

At SEE, if you look at the link above they said 1st half, i didnt see anything about January.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max White Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2010-11-13 00:07

On 2010-11-12 21:04:54, Tsepz_GP wrote:
False morel
Ive been satisfied and so have many others thus the huge growth in Android share.

Good. That's why I stated it's goes down to a matter of choice and priority.
So stop generalizing, and suggesting that Symbian is inferior to Android whereas many out there disagree with that!

What are these "major" aspects that Android is trailing behind in?

Efficiency! This is important, maybe the most important in a smartphone while you, and Android users in general, somehow trying to underestimate/devalue this factor!
Capability, in the sense of diverse funtions it can do/offer..
And this list of things each OS can't do can go quite longer.. But I'm really bored at this stuff as I'm discussing it much lately..
Just wait for the updates, and the new figures of Q4 and the yearly figures as well.. Maybe then, we'd have nothing to discuss really, as everything would get quite obvious..

At SEE, if you look at the link above they said 1st half, i didnt see anything about January.

Well, you made me check for this as you're stressing too much on this point.. May I ask why doesthe exact date make such importance for you?!
But anyway, I might be wrong! To be honest, I checked the direct official sites where most probably I got this piece of info from, but yes, all what I've got if first half! I didn't search thoroughly though and wont do it!
All I had in mind, is the updates to come in packages starting January..
Hopefully I got that from a reliable source..
mlife
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2010-11-13 02:55

On 2010-11-12 17:48:22, false_morel wrote:
Tsepz,

Heck, the Galaxy S doesn't even have a flash at all!

[ This Message was edited by: false_morel on 2010-11-12 16:50 ]

well.... thats not really true

[ This Message was edited by: mlife on 2010-11-13 02:15 ]
[addsig]
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2010-11-13 03:19
@mlife: I think he means the i9000.
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
AbuBasim
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-11-13 08:05
"Nokia reaffirms commitment to Symbian platform"? When will we see the headline saying 'Developers return to Symbian after a brief visit to Android and OS X?' Will that be the same day we have to carry umbrellas even during sunny weather to avoid being hit by pigsh!t since pigs have grown wings and taken to the air?

Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2010-11-13 10:02
False morel
Android's System itself is effecient,the main battery drain is the displays and always on data connection- updates being pushed, apps/widgets refreshing location info if youre on the move etc...
Capability? Android OS itself is very capable, havent found anything the OS itself cant do compared to Symbian.

The reason why i care about the specific date is because i should be receiving a Nokia N8 in the next week or so for review, and even they just say 1st half. It's all good though ,i'll have more time to go deeper into S^3 and compare to Android, as the last time i handled the N8 was for just for a few mins as i said.
AbuBasim
+1
Hobbs
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2010-11-13 10:49
Where you getting this N8 from to review bud?
First thing I want to know is how it fares in the 'Blender Test"
Do it,I know you want to,Defender of the Droid
[ This Message was edited by: Hobbs on 2010-11-13 09:50 ]
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3
Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2010-11-13 10:53
Hobbs, check SA Discussion, its coming from NokiaSA, WRT the N8ReviewZA Competition.
false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2010-11-13 16:09

On 2010-11-13 10:02:11, Tsepz_GP wrote:
False morel
Android's System itself is effecient,the main battery drain is the displays and always on data connection- updates being pushed, apps/widgets refreshing location info if youre on the move etc...
Capability? Android OS itself is very capable, havent found anything the OS itself cant do compared to Symbian.

Symbian does all of those functions, yet more efficiently..
As to capability shortcomings, you'll have to google them.. There are some differences. And that not to mention that it's true Froyo brought some needed features along the way, but also some bugs and lags as well.
Here's where Symbian's maturity comes on top of things..

But as I said, both have huge potential.. Though I prefer the Symbian approach with the Qt SDK, and the smart solution for compatibility issues..
We shall see if it would bring teh success expected and leave Symbian at its current spot.

The reason why i care about the specific date is because i should be receiving a Nokia N8 in the next week or so for review, and even they just say 1st half. It's all good though ,i'll have more time to go deeper into S^3 and compare to Android, as the last time i handled the N8 was for just for a few mins as i said.

Well, I'll have to wish you some good time with teh handset. I know you will..

mlife:
well.... thats not really true

tranced:
@mlife: I think he means the i9000.

That Galaxy wih the flash should be the Epic 4G.. It's the only "version" of the Galaxy family in the US the have flash, as well as 4G network support..
All other three versions aren't euipped with a one..
And more importantly of course, the international version as well!
mlife
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2010-11-14 01:24
That Galaxy wih the flash should be the Epic 4G.. It's the only "version" of the Galaxy family in the US the have flash, as well as 4G network support..
All other three versions aren't euipped with a one..
And more importantly of course, the international version as well!

my phone is the Samsung Galaxy S "Fascinate" by Verizon.... it too has the flash
[ This Message was edited by: mlife on 2010-11-14 05:03 ]
[addsig]
false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2010-11-15 03:43

On 2010-11-14 01:24:20, mlife wrote:
my phone is the Samsung Galaxy S "Fascinate" by Verizon.... it too has the flash

True. The Fascinate and the Epic 4G have flash. The latter also comes with a sliding Qwerty keyboard, front camera, and 4G netwrok support; the only Galaxy S to include those features.
All other Galaxies neither have any camera flash nor any of those Epic 4G's extra features. That is, the Captivate and the Vibrant, and i9000 which is the international version.
shaliron
K610 red
PM
Posted: 2010-11-15 04:45
Symbian is a dying platform. Period. Sure it may eventually sell mounds in the lower end market, where 90% of customers are probably unaware that they're even buying a smartphone, but you only have a single manufacturer who is prepared to release phones on the platform. There is no long term market for this OS and every other manufacturer has come to this realisation, even Nokia itself with its development of its Maemo/Meego platform for its future high end devices.

Symbian^3 is just stop gap. The previous version was laggy, buggy, incosistent, and not competitive with modern devices. It didn't even have basic features like threaded messaging, things that even other company's dumbphones had already come out with. All Symbian^3 is doing is bringing itself back to a barely competitive position with the other manufacturers. There's nothing revolutionary about it. There are only so many ways Nokia can continue to dress the OS to keep it 'modern'.
A wooden spoon is a spoon made from wood. Source: Wikipedia

Winner of: Best Thread (Huge SE Portfolio) 2007, Best Post (Huge SE Portfolio) 2007, Best Signature 2007, and 2nd Best Nickname 2007.
mlife
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2010-11-15 14:52
LOL... go back and read your post... then try and tell me that's not 100% hater talk. .... The fact is Nokia is a VERY successful mobile device manufacture maybe even more so than your company (IMO) and I'd image they not only have a business plan to remain on top of the industry but also to improve their products.

In 1984 Apple sold its first computers which were successful for a while... then in the 90's when PC's were all the rage, similar comments were made then about apple/Macintosh and how the company was "done" because PC's were SOOO much better ..... Sound familiar? The same was said about the T-mobile G1 when it first came out... they didn't get it... simply didn't understand/comprehend why that device was so cool. And although cutting edge for its time never got "iPhone" status... Now look at android and iPhone.... Due to HUGE amounts of advertising dollars telling you its the best thing ever, you and others are praising it like the last OS that will ever rule.... simply not true. Im not sure about Melbourne televison but here in the US, you NEVER see Nokia advertising via TV spots yet they still manage to sell LOTS of phones here. All the meantime you can't watch ONE TV show without seeing HTC, Motorola, Samsung or iPhone telling you and your kids how much you HAVE TO HAVE that stuff.

Trust me, if nokia is sticking with symbian its because they have plan for the platform and unlike you are thinking past next weeks release of the latest trendy Android device. Furthermore, I believe that although people are typically sheep and trend followers some actually remain loyal to a quality product (ie apple and in this case nokia) and those consumer dollars will continue to fund their existence.
[ This Message was edited by: tranced on 2010-11-16 02:25 ]
[addsig]
shaliron
K610 red
PM
Posted: 2010-11-15 16:35
@mlife
Apple was suffering in the 90s because they were producing bad hardware and more importantly had an OS going nowhere. The reason why Apple is rebounded in the personal computer market is because it restarted with their OS, moving to Mac OS X, removing backward compatibility to create an operating system with focus on developing it for future technologies.

Nokia is in the same position. It's got an OS (Symbian) which is old and falling behind the curve in terms of innovation. They're currently working on Meego, attempting to create a fresh break from the past and create a platform which will carry them into the future. I'm not hating on Nokia, I'm just pointing out that Symbian is not the OS of Nokia's future, if anything it will be Meego.
A wooden spoon is a spoon made from wood. Source: Wikipedia

Winner of: Best Thread (Huge SE Portfolio) 2007, Best Post (Huge SE Portfolio) 2007, Best Signature 2007, and 2nd Best Nickname 2007.
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2010-11-15 18:44

On 2010-11-15 04:45:46, shaliron wrote:
Symbian is a dying platform. Period. Sure it may eventually sell mounds in the lower end market, where 90% of customers are probably unaware that they're even buying a smartphone, but you only have a single manufacturer who is prepared to release phones on the platform. There is no long term market for this OS and every other manufacturer has come to this realisation, even Nokia itself with its development of its Maemo/Meego platform for its future high end devices.

Symbian^3 is just stop gap. The previous version was laggy, buggy, incosistent, and not competitive with modern devices. It didn't even have basic features like threaded messaging, things that even other company's dumbphones had already come out with. All Symbian^3 is doing is bringing itself back to a barely competitive position with the other manufacturers. There's nothing revolutionary about it. There are only so many ways Nokia can continue to dress the OS to keep it 'modern'.

+1, nail on the head, especialy about S60v5, i actualy cant believe Nokia/Symbian thought they could release such an incomplete and unstable version of S60. S60v5 just doesnt feel as robust as S60v3.
There's absolutely no Nokia hate in your comment,and many of your points have been highlighted by many, even by AllAboutSymbian shockingly enough.

[/quote]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi