Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > elm or hazel

Previous  123  Next
Author elm or hazel
jms2367
Elm Black
PM
Posted: 2010-10-03 23:03
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I decided to get the Elm about 2 days ago and will use it as my regular phone for calls and sms. I will be keeping my Omnia as my smartphone on the go to read E-books, web browsing, etc.

@MRiley

I just read some reception issues with the Elm. I turned off 3G/HSDPA and still notice that it tends to lose its signal in areas of weak coverage where my Omnia performs quite well. I guess as you said that this is a hardware issue with the antenna's location and cannot be fixed with a firmware upgrade.

@JPLacson

Do you still own an Elm? Are you also having reception issues with it?

@Reeflotz

I was about to get a brand new Elm for 9.1k (GBP 132) when I found a seller in the net selling it for 6.5k (GBP 94) still with 9 months warranty.
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-10-04 10:07
@jojosiscar, my mom owns the Elm, I'm just tech support...hahahaha. She has had no reception issues... that may be a provider issue more than a phone issue. Much like the famous iPhone 4 reception issue... most Philippine Globe iPhone users do not experience the reception problems than US AT&T users experience.
jms2367
Elm Black
PM
Posted: 2010-10-04 14:14
thanks jplacson. do you notice a creaking sound when you press the battery cover near the shutter button? mine has that annoying creaking sound.
mriley
Samsung Galaxy S II
PM
Posted: 2010-10-04 16:50

do you notice a creaking sound when you press the battery cover near the shutter button? mine has that annoying creaking sound.

I do, it's annoying Other Elm users have noticed this too.

A lot of phones have their antenna at the bottom for some reason, I own another phone with the antenna at the bottom with the same provider but it's a lot better at getting signal than the Elm, so it's possible that it could be fixed with firmware.
[ This Message was edited by: mriley on 2010-10-04 15:52 ]
Esato's Newbie of the year and Most Helpful Member 2010!
-------------------
Life is just a ride, enjoy it while you can
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-10-04 17:37
I'll check the next time I visit my folks.

Just so you know, my X10 Mini Pro did that too... nothing a little tape in strategic places didn't solve. My phone now feels like a solid chunk of plastic, no creaks or flexing.
Sean..
Aino Black
PM
Posted: 2010-10-04 21:11
As for the problem with the creaking battery cover what I do is a very teeny tiny piece of blue tack underneath the battery door. Put it in the corner where it's creaking on top of the battery & press it on the cover. It stops movement but as it's under battery door you cannot see it. But only a tiny small bit
jms2367
Elm Black
PM
Posted: 2010-10-05 00:09
thanks guys. i read in other forums that eventually, after the battery cover is opened a couple of times, it will start to creak.

sean, i'm thinking of doing that too, if i get really annoyed with it.

mriley, yeah, the phones reception is a bit weak. i read somewhere that generally, they say that se phones have weaker reception compared to nokia's. yesterday at the office, I have to walk around to find a decent spot for me to understand the person whom i am calling (which happened a couple of times). i did not experience it when i was using my n82 then and not much when i was using my omnia on the same network. also, hope i can get the same decent shots you are getting in the elm/hazel photo thread.

anybody with the hazel who can share insights on the phone's reception? maybe it's not as bad as the elm? also, is the slider thing on the phone sturdy enough? will the flex not break say in 6 months time?

but generally, i am liking the elm. the simple ui of se is really good. a simple inexpensive phone with very good features.
reeflotz
Hazel
PM
Posted: 2010-10-05 05:49
Congrats on your Elm that's a very good deal! only 6.5k

Lol, I didn't know Elm had that creaking sound too, my Hazel also does that must be the recycled plastic
Hazel J20i [Bricked], Sony Xperia Go
reeflotz.blogspot.com
reeflotz@deviantart
jms2367
Elm Black
PM
Posted: 2010-10-05 11:33
It was really annoying at first. I even compared it to our other mobiles at home like my wife's Nokia and my Omnia which both do not have that creaking sound. Even my son's very basic Nokia 1616 does not creak.

Reeflotz, How's the signal reception of the Hazel?
reeflotz
Hazel
PM
Posted: 2010-10-06 14:46
It's usually constant at 3 or 4 bars. But there are times when my signal indicator suddenly falls to one bar, the signal seems a bit sensitive at times, but the good thing is that as long as there's at least one bar I'm still able to text and receive text messages as well as receive calls without any problems.
[ This Message was edited by: reeflotz on 2010-10-06 13:49 ]
reeflotz.blogspot.com
reeflotz@deviantart
TinySarabia
Elm Silver
PM
Posted: 2010-10-13 04:57
Ask reeflotz how the hazel works... Its slider mechanism is magnetic so i think thats a ways better than the common belt sliders of most phones. And im not planning on making it my primary phone, just a "fun" phone.. I'm planning to buy it on OCT.30.. What's your say reef?
reeflotz
Hazel
PM
Posted: 2010-10-13 15:11
To be honest i didn't know at first that the slider is magnetic and what is it's difference with the previous sliders. It's my first slider phone, I'm hoping that the flex cable will be durable enough that it will last as long as the phone will last.

Signal reception of Hazel has been improved in the latest firmware R7CA065, there's only two things that I didn't like on Hazel, the light horizontal lines that appear on some lowlight pictures, and the LED flash is only useful as a flashlight, not really for taking lowlight pictures. Lowlight pictures is it's weakest point.

Other than that the phone is great! the display, connectivity (gprs, edge, hsupa, hsdpa, wifi), audio quality, daylight picture quality and video quality are all excellent. Plus the Hazel looks nice
reeflotz.blogspot.com
reeflotz@deviantart
Run_dawn10
Samsung Galaxy S II
PM
Posted: 2010-10-13 15:11
You can ask me about the Hazel too.

Reception is now better with the new firmware, I can get 5 bars of HSDPA now, compared to 3-4 previously in the same area.

The Hazel does have a bit of an iPhone-style death grip, but the signal only drops by 1 or 2 bars and not until you loose service altogether.

(Dang, reef you beat me to it LOL.)
[ This Message was edited by: Run_dawn10 on 2010-10-13 14:22 ]
Nokia 6070 (2006-2009), K550 (second hand 2009-2010), Hazel (J20i) (2010-2011), Samsung Galaxy S II (2011-2012), Samsung Galaxy S III (2012-2014), Sony Xperia Z3 (2014-)
reeflotz
Hazel
PM
Posted: 2010-10-13 15:32
sorry about that,

@TinySarabia
Run_dawn can help you too, it makes me wonder how many Hazel users are members of esato.
reeflotz.blogspot.com
reeflotz@deviantart
TinySarabia
Elm Silver
PM
Posted: 2010-10-15 15:11

On 2010-10-13 15:11:46, Run_dawn10 wrote:
You can ask me about the Hazel too.

Reception is now better with the new firmware, I can get 5 bars of HSDPA now, compared to 3-4 previously in the same area.

The Hazel does have a bit of an iPhone-style death grip, but the signal only drops by 1 or 2 bars and not until you loose service altogether.

(Dang, reef you beat me to it LOL.)
[ This Message was edited by: Run_dawn10 on 2010-10-13 14:22 ]

So what do you think about it's slider quality?

@Reeflotz: Lol! you're like my guardian angel here. I always run to you about Hazel. Now Run_dawn is there, I can run to you both.
[ This Message was edited by: TinySarabia on 2010-10-15 14:13 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi