Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Satio vs Nokia N8

Previous  123 4 ... 515253  Next
Author Satio vs Nokia N8
Shino03
S700
PM
Posted: 2010-09-11 02:49
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Symbian will be a cheap OS in the upcoming years or worse, it may no longer exists. I've learned from uiq. I will never buy a phone with a dying OS or an OS destined to be cheap and inferior. Anyway, that will take years and that's just me..
jake20
C905 Silver
PM
Posted: 2010-09-12 02:23

On 2010-09-11 02:49:20, Shino03 wrote:
Symbian will be a cheap OS in the upcoming years or worse, it may no longer exists. I've learned from uiq. I will never buy a phone with a dying OS or an OS destined to be cheap and inferior. Anyway, that will take years and that's just me..

yea, but honestly.. how long will you be keeping a phone for? 1 or 2 or maybe even 3 years at the very most?
in 3 years, the Iphone 4 will be just as old and outdated as the Symbian^3 N8..
[ This Message was edited by: jake20 on 2010-09-12 01:30 ]
skblakee
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2010-09-12 02:39
I just decided that I too would be getting the N8 (I call it nate for short) but not before December or so. One thing I noticed from the reviews is that the battery cannot be removed. That either means that Nokia is pretty confident with Symbian 3 or it will be a major headache for them/users if freezing occurs.

Anyone else find that interesting?

By the way, the Satio is a joke other than having a great still shot camera.
[ This Message was edited by: skblakee on 2010-09-12 01:40 ]
Galaxy Note III with 64gb micro SD
Visit St.Kitts in the Caribbean. Beautiful little place.
iPad Air 16GB
jackau
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2010-09-13 07:01

On 2010-09-12 02:39:34, skblakee wrote:
I just decided that I too would be getting the N8 (I call it nate for short) but not before December or so. One thing I noticed from the reviews is that the battery cannot be removed. That either means that Nokia is pretty confident with Symbian 3 or it will be a major headache for them/users if freezing occurs.

Anyone else find that interesting?

By the way, the Satio is a joke other than having a great still shot camera.
[ This Message was edited by: skblakee on 2010-09-12 01:40 ]

Took too long for N8-00 to come out..
I wish i can ditch my Satio sooner... but thanks to an ipad, I no longer use the net on the Satio as much, hence, save the power and it can last a day and a half.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-09-13 23:13
@ norbi_nw - yeah ive decided also to keep my Satio and do a photo image quality comparison with both phones. As for the OS, lets face it the N8 will win hands down.

@ Tsepz_GP - regarding what jake20 said about Ovi maps and being able to use them offline, i think its great. He hit the nail on the head imo - full feature phones (just like an Android) but which can also take incredible pictures, unlike most Android phones. For those of us who do not have a data plan with our phone contracts it saves us money since we do not have to download maps on the move. Nobody is saying Ovi maps is the best mobile phone sat nav alternative out there, but its certainly very reliable. As for how quickly it locks onto the GPS signal, ive never had a problem and always have A-GPS turned off and use only the GPS receiver. I have a trick on how to acquire a good GPS lock pretty quickly.

As for advanced functions, no not like overclocking. Im not really into the hacking or overclocking thing on mobiles. It just annoys me when on a phone such as a simple phone like my W880i you cannot do something because you do not have access to the file system or cannot alter a system file. For example when i first got my Satio, i downloaded a tv episode from BBC iPlayer. When i tried to play the file it was corrupted (usually iPlayer downloads are !!), the file itself was around 800mb and wasting valuable space on my phone, slowing the media browser down and basically a big ugly broken file icon sat there among my videos. Attempts to delete it were not possible through the media browser (as the file was considered in use), attempts on my pc were again not possible. So, using a task manager i killed all running processes related to the file, media browser etc, then went into the filing system using the inbuilt S60 file manager and deleted it from there. All done on the phone.

A pretty basic example i know, but this illustrates how you can really dig deep into the phones OS to fix a problem or improve it - such as unlocking it from a specific network.

As for Android or any other smartphone OS, i know all this is possible, but not always straight away. When ive used a friends Android phone in the past, simple things which i find in the Symbian menu system isnt there (yet) on Android, you need an app to give you such functions or features. I love Symbian, its been around for years now and deserves its place in the market for many years to come imo. But, when the day comes where i use an Android phone or Apple phone has everything i want or need, ill have no problems in jumping ship.

@ jake20 - AFAIK the release date in the UK is 30th September, so in theory if the phone comes out then, ill receive mine around the 5th October since ive gone for free delivery (up to 5 working days).

@ Shino03 - we already know that, Nokia themselves have said they will use Symbian on their more budget handsets in the future and keep their own MeeGo for their high end phones.

@ skblakee - thats a good point, maybe we would have to wait until the battery runs flat ? or maybe the N8's power button will work no matter whether the OS has a hiccup or not ?
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
jake20
C905 Silver
PM
Posted: 2010-09-14 03:48
I love my C905, and dying to see whether this takes much better pictures or not.
The video recording is certainly much better, I know this.

But C905 also has 3LED video light on it.. and Nokia N8 has no video light.
Its a very tough decision!

I did find it for $100 cheaper than the Nokia site though..

check here
http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/shop.cgi?action=thispage&thispage=01100250U023_BDL6736P.shtml&order_id=421140926
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-09-14 11:45
Heh, i wouldnt worry about whether it will take better pictures, of course it will. If you read through that entire link you posted earlier yeah there is one or two things Nokia have chosen to do against the norm, but also things which will make the N8's camera much better than any other.

I always thought SE had the best cameras in their phones (since they have the expertise of Sony Cybershot helping them out), but when the N95 came out that all changed IMO. My sister and a couple of friends both bought themselves a K850i. Very rarely could i say the pictures they took were all that great compared to my N95 8gb. This was evident moreso when we took pictures on both phones, such as my sisters graduation from law school, where my N95 really outperformed the K850i on all lighting modes, sharpness, noise and saturation etc.

I dont doubt for a second the N8 will give better results than anything SE can produce.

skblakee
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2010-09-14 12:42
A lot will be riding on this N8 for nokia in terms of credibility for the new Symbian3. Failure to impress and nokia will lose much more market share to Android. Impress and Nokia could be back, even if just a little bit.
Galaxy Note III with 64gb micro SD
Visit St.Kitts in the Caribbean. Beautiful little place.
iPad Air 16GB
Hammerpgh
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-09-14 16:04
I am not looking to buy any phone for some time. I have had my Satio since last October.. well I am actually on my second Satio after having my first one snatched on Christmas Eve but had no hesitation in going for another one as a replacement. It has always done everything that I wanted and once hacked has given me access to as many apps and games as I could ever want. I actually use it to access the internet more than I do my laptop now and it has never let me down in the year (almost) I have been using it.

As for the camera I find it superb in most circumstances. I have trusted it so much in fact that I didn't even bother taking a dedicated camera to my daughters graduation ceremony a couple of months ago.

Obviously people have had issues with the Satio and seem very keen to ditch it and find a replacement but for me it has been and still is amongst the top 2 or 3 devices I have had the pleasure to own.

I don't really see how anyone can claim the N8 beats the crap out of the Satio when one of them is not even released yet. Once it's released and it has proven it's reliability and what it can actually do as opposed to what it is claimed to do then that may be a fair point.. but not until that time. The N8 may well be the next phone I go for so I am not knocking it at all, it looks superb and I truly hope it is as good as it is claimed, but the proof is in the pudding and right now the pudding is still in the oven.

Just my two cents worth giving a positive view of the Satio seeing as there are so many negative posts about it.

Cheers all
norbi_nw
Samsung Galaxy S II
PM
Posted: 2010-09-14 16:27
you can find a lot of previews on the nokia, even a concert of Rihanna recorded. Video is very good and the sound is awesome too (well alot of wind and screams made THAT particular video crappy, but image is ok, better than vivaz). And the camera was good from the start, and they still worked on it (not like SE) untill current day. Still i am eager to see ALOT of shots soon. The OS is also improvement from satio and not to mention pinch zoom and HDMI + 3'5 jack (2 standards - actually 3 with the micro USB). The only bad thing is it wont have DivX support.. But nokia is always better at software development than SE so people will come up with a good player, and ofc TONS of mods (like on all Nokias). The Satio is a fail from the start because noone is interested in modding it, no way to improve the camera (it would be a monster of a p phone, but SE made it stay "dumb"). I would go for a 5800XM but it lacks the camera quality (i know satio isnt that good, but 5800 is crap crap). I think N8 will be a good phone if the price is right too. 2 more weeks and we will see head to head.
[ This Message was edited by: norbi_nw on 2010-09-14 15:28 ]
http://norbinw.blogspot.com
jj03
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2010-09-14 20:27
@ norbi. The n8 will have divX Support. Thats already been confirmed.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-09-15 11:37
Id have to disagree with norbi_nw too, i think the Nokia 5800 was an excellent phone. When it was released in the UK it was only £199.99 on PAYG. Call it £200 for a touch screen S60 phone with tons of apps and Ovi maps, it was an absolute bargain. Even if the camera was just a standard affair.

Oh and for anyone worried about the N8's camera, see gsm arena's blog
[ This Message was edited by: etaab on 2010-09-15 10:56 ]
jake20
C905 Silver
PM
Posted: 2010-09-15 15:48
thanks etaab,
those new pics look great, but I am honestly not sure how much better they are than what my C905 can do for just regular point and shoot 4x6, or 5x7 prints, or just looking at on my computer screen.

I am not into zooming, 100% crops, and analyzing every pixel for detail like some people here.
I just want a very good point and shoot camera that can take quality shots in various lighting conditions, including low light.
The 720P video is also a big deal for me, but it doesnt look like it handles low light that well, and there is also no video light, so I still have some questions there as well.

If the video wasnt so bad on the C905, I would probably stick with it, but then again, the lack of new apps for C905 is also very bad.

There is definitely a lot of detail present when zooming in in those shots, thats for sure.. but i would like to see more low light shots.. because that is where my C905 suffers the most.. unless you slow down the shutter speed
[ This Message was edited by: jake20 on 2010-09-15 15:19 ]
norbi_nw
Samsung Galaxy S II
PM
Posted: 2010-09-15 16:38
OMG at those sample shots... i have seen some very good ones untill now, but some of them rule. It's K750i quality brought to 2010 with less noise and more detail. VERY VERY good pictures. Satio can hide.
I admit before i got my K810 the K800 was compared to the N95, and back then i tried to convince myself that K800 is better (was a blind SE fan). Nokia had some color issues, but detail wise it won. But this is over now because if those are unmodified images, the Satio can eat nokias dust. :/
And since when is it confirmed that it has DivX? in that interview with "some nokia guy" its confirmed that it wont have Divx... Would be nice if they have changed their mind.
And again... best shots shot by a mobile device ever (colors and quality too). A little optical distortion but that doesnt matter for me.
http://norbinw.blogspot.com
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-09-16 10:36
To be honest, ive seen so many pictures by 8 or 12 megapixel cameraphones i often find it hard to tell the difference. When i saw those pictures on GSM arena's blog i was impressed but not by much. Lets face it when you buy a dedicated digital camera they always take good quality snaps, pretty much guaranteed. Cameraphones do not, because they're not built primarily for that function, so sometimes pictures arent are great as you'd expect.

I think the Satio takes excellent shots. I always have done, so looking at those N8 examples they do luck better but not by much. I think where Nokia have outperformed SE in the camera department is the simple point and shoot method. Nokia phones may have as many advanced camera settings as a SE phone but they do not seem to matter that much. Its always easier to get a good picture first time with a Nokia phone that comes with a good camera - like the N95.

@ jake20 - im not sure where you find the N8 handles low light poorly. Other than comments, do you have a link to pictures to illustrate your worry ? Bear in mind that cameraphones in general usually handle low light nowhere near as good as a dedicated digital camera.

@ norbi_nw - personally i dont see the worry about Divx - its not the end of the world IMO whether a phone has it or not. There is always other codecs to use to encode videos with.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 4 ... 515253  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic