Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Satio vs Nokia N8

Previous  123 ... 515253  Next
Author Satio vs Nokia N8
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2010-09-08 21:05
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Ye, Java phones seem to be a dying breed especially in the mid to high. these days. Hopefully Nokia will include a built-in Internet Radio app in the N8 as they did in the N85 and N96, but there should be some 3rd party ones, i think TuneWiki has a IR function.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
jake20
C905 Silver
PM
Posted: 2010-09-09 19:19
check out this N8 video.. phone and Symbian^3 looks pretty good to me..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCOAjri62Bg
se_dude
Xperia Arc Silver
PM
Posted: 2010-09-09 20:15
Seems like you would do good to wait till the nd of the year with the impending launch of the SE android X10 successor.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-09-09 20:30
I dont think any SE phone is worth buying these days, be it a Symbian, Android or other OS, if you're someone like me who uses the more advanced functions of the handset.

SE just cannot seem to get anything right anymore. Their phones still have that magic sparkle they had years ago, but they always seem to be outdated very quickly. Froyo, Android 2.2 is hitting most handsets within the next month or two. whilst SE is still using 1.6. By the time SE get around to releasing a 2.2 handset, version 2.3 or even 3.0 will probably be upon us. SE are always far too behind.

@ jake20 - this is what im going to do and i suggest you consider doing the same. Buy yourself a nice new N8, it'll have a few bugs being a new version of Symbian but it will be worth it. Nokia always have tons of apps, not so many free apps as Android or Apple, but many many times more than SE's S60 attempt with the Satio and Vivaz.

Im buying a N8, in fact im about to preorder it today. Then, in a years time when my current contract is up (im buying my N8 outright sim free and selling my Satio), i'll then keep my N8 as it'll still be a great phone with a fantastic camera that will warrant never selling it, but i will then invest in a high spec Apple or Android phone.

So in short i suggest like me you buy a N8 now and in a years time see what Apple or Android can offer, but still keep the N8.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
jake20
C905 Silver
PM
Posted: 2010-09-09 21:04
hi etaab,
thanks for the advice.. i am really dying for this phone now. I seriously doubt that any Sony Ericsson will be able to match the camera specs and offline GPS features of the N8.. that is primarily why i want it so bad.

i am also very tempted to pre-order it right now, but i see that only the black is available. I actually love how the orange looks.
my friend at work was showing off the other day how many great free apps he has for his iphone.. i was jealous

a couple more questions..
1. Will i be able to take my sim out of my C905, and just use it in the N8 on AT&T network without issue?
2. Do you think that pre-order price of $549 US dollars will go up once released?

thanks!
sotam
C901 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-09-10 05:32
I will wait because first release major part of time have issues...

If this is right you don't will have problems
N8
2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G Network HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700 / 2100 / 1900

Source:gsmarena
[ This Message was edited by: sotam on 2010-09-10 04:32 ]
N82
Marly
Apple iPhone 6
PM
Posted: 2010-09-10 06:18

On 2010-09-10 05:32:36, sotam wrote:
I will wait because first release major part of time have issues...
[ This Message was edited by: sotam on 2010-09-10 04:32 ]

True... I'd never buy a Nokia smartphone immediately after it's been released, they usually have several software-problems, I've bought my N97 after the fourth software-update, when it was five months on the market : it was more stable then and 100 euro cheaper
"America: please don’t be a Dumpfkopf"
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2010-09-10 10:27
What more advanced functions of a phone do you use etaab?
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-09-10 18:43
Primarily fiddling around with the file system or being able to alter things on the phone which you cannot on an Apple phone or Android handset. Or at least, not as in such an advanced way.

@ sotam - it depends on the user. Personally, i dont mind using a new OS with tons of bugs if it means im using something new, unique and im able to watch it grow into something powerful. To me, a buggy phone is almost more attractive than a stable phone. It represents a challenge.

@ jake20 - i preordered my N8 just after posting here yesterday. Luckily, in the UK you're able to choose from any colour when preordering. I decided to go for the orange colour since i dont see many orange phones around and it'll catch peoples eye when they see me using it. Again like i said above, i like to stand out of the crowd somewhat with new phones. I hate it when you buy a new phone and within a week of release you see hundreds of people with the same phone. Only the orange colour was listed as limited edition on the Nokia UK webshop.

It was the same story back in 2006, i waited months for SE to release a proper successor to the K750i and along came the K800i. Which i never liked from day one. So instead i waited patiently until September 2006 and out came the brilliant Nokia N93. By modern day standards, it was a brick, but the first mainstream handset which recorded VGA video with stereo sound - like the N8 does, but now in 720p. I remember the day i walked into the O2 shop where i live, asked the guys behind the counter how to setup my 3G internet on my new N93 phone and they asked what phone. When i took it out they all suddenly came running over when the guy serving me shouted 'hey this guys got a N93 !!' - priceless ! its like nobody in the UK had seen such a unique phone before. I never saw anyone with the same phone either.

Regarding your questions, i dont see why it wouldnt work straight away. I dont know much about US networks like AT&T but here in the UK its pretty straight forward. As for the price, you'll pay slightly more from the official Nokia store than if you bought the phone sim free from a retail store, but i usually find its worth it if you're getting the phone a week or two before everyone else.
[ This Message was edited by: etaab on 2010-09-10 17:44 ]
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
norbi_nw
Samsung Galaxy S II
PM
Posted: 2010-09-10 21:10
man etaab im so waiting for your review (hope you make one), and ofc some sample shots.. When will you get it?
http://norbinw.blogspot.com
jake20
C905 Silver
PM
Posted: 2010-09-10 21:19
i noticed the UK release is 1 month later (oct) than the US release (sept).. maybe the colored phones will not be production ready by end of Sept.. that stinks for us here in USA

If they had Orange or Blue, i would pre-order one right now.. but I do not want to get a boring dark grey phone.
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2010-09-10 22:56
Etaab
Do you mean like being able to overclock and underclock CPU, mess around the file system of apps etc...? Believe it or not X-Plore by LCG is available on Android and allows that ,as well as lots of CPU management apps. Have you actualy used an Android extensively? Dont under estimate it thats all im going to say,theres TONS that can be done on this OS.
jake20
C905 Silver
PM
Posted: 2010-09-10 23:15

On 2010-09-10 22:56:24, Tsepz_GP wrote:
Etaab
Do you mean like being able to overclock and underclock CPU, mess around the file system of apps etc...? Believe it or not X-Plore by LCG is available on Android and allows that ,as well as lots of CPU management apps. Have you actualy used an Android extensively? Dont under estimate it thats all im going to say,theres TONS that can be done on this OS.

but do any Android phones have the largest camera sensor with wide angle 12MP Carl Zeiss optics & XENON flash?
and offline GPS which does not require a signal to operate or download maps?

these are 2 pretty big reasons to get an N8
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2010-09-11 00:01
Jake
My point was about "advanced functions"
GPS wise if you want to wait a whole century for your phone to even lock then go ahead and use Offline, with my 5800 and latest Ovi Maps i have to set A-GPS/Using network to be on, dont be fooled by the whole on phone maps, havent realy found G-Maps an issue,its ALWAYS up to date and far more accurate.
Well there is the Moto XT720 with 8MP Xenon flash as well as HDMI, but no,not the largest sensor in a mobile.
jake20
C905 Silver
PM
Posted: 2010-09-11 00:29
here is some interesting info regarding the camera on the N8.. seems they made a lot of changes.. honestly after reading this , i am not so sure how good the picture quality will be. it sounds like this camera may not be as good in low light as the previous N86, and also there is no Video light on it as well.
I think i may wait for some reviews to come out first now..

http://conversations.nokia.co[....]graphy-all-the-faqs/#lenscover
[ This Message was edited by: jake20 on 2010-09-10 23:50 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 515253  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic