Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Elm Or W995 ?

Author Elm Or W995 ?
reeflotz
Hazel
PM
Posted: 2010-08-19 15:05
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hoping for NoroBiik's good light comparative shots, the pictures shown took advantage of the Elm/Hazel weakness in lowlight shots.

@plankgatan, outdoor, indoor everything? I don't think the Elm/Hazel will lose on outdoor shots unless it's a lowlight outdoor shot. Usually the colors are dull in Elm/Hazel when there is insufficient light.

It's kind of hard to notice because the pics of the bookshelf were resized, W995 has more colors but is blurry, look at the texts in the books and look at the statue, compare it with the Elm shots, if you were going to print that in full size it will have the correct color but it will also be blurry, while Elm has less colors but has a very sharp and clear image even though it's only at 5 megapixels

The flash affected the Elm's colors, but you can achieve good color in Elm/Hazel in lowlight as long as theres no flash, the only downside is the slow shutter.

like I said get Hazel
[ This Message was edited by: reeflotz on 2010-08-19 14:13 ]
Hazel J20i [Bricked], Sony Xperia Go
reeflotz.blogspot.com
reeflotz@deviantart
TTT
Samsung Galaxy S II
PM
Posted: 2010-08-19 15:16

On 2010-08-19 15:02:49, plankgatan wrote:
pretty tired to hear all this talk about how much better ELM camera is.....apparently it isnt, (we have now some real proof ^^ )

so where are we standing in the w995 vs ELM debate ???

High features

------------------------
Music player/features + headphones quality............w995
sound..................................................................w995
screen.................................................................w995
build quality/design..............................................w995
camera...............................................................w995
price...................................................................ELM

w995=5
ELM=1

Let's see...
Music player and sound are the same thing.
Build quality is about the same. The Elm feels really wellbuilt.
As we've talked about for a while now the camera is better in the Elm.

The sound is a little bit better and the screen is a little bigger but for a lot more money. Get the Elm or the Hazel for those money. If you have more to spend the Vivaz and Aino are just a little bit more expensive than the W995.

w995=3
Elm=3 (but a lot less expensive)

The Elm is also faster working.
Here's the specs of the phone side-by-side.

Here aswell is a list of the phones in the same pricerange or cheaper. It's in Swedish but you'll understand. For example there's the X10 mini or the C905.
Link
[ This Message was edited by: TTT on 2010-08-19 14:25 ]
I taking pictures
Run_dawn10
Samsung Galaxy S II
PM
Posted: 2010-08-19 15:27
Get a Hazel if you want an Elm with a W995 screen.

The Elm/Hazel are really worth it, its decently priced with features of many more expensive SE phones.

The W995 has amazing speakers and it blew me away when I played around with my friend's.

So both are decent phones with its pros and cons.
xclbr
Elm Black
PM
Posted: 2010-08-19 16:20
Make up your mind and buy a phone so they won't be arguing anymore.
NoroBiik
Xperia Mini Pro Black
PM
Posted: 2010-08-19 17:27
@reeflotz Hoping for NoroBiik's good light comparative shots, the pictures shown took advantage of the Elm/Hazel weakness in lowlight shots.

coming up in about 8-12 hours Near midnight here in Manila - hopefully there's a sun tomorrow.

Realized that the W995 bookshelf shot was *too* blurry. Checked my M2 card - it had 400+ pics which was slowing my phone down so purged most of it (my hands aren't as steady as they used to be alas).

Original W995 bookshelf shot

This one was taken after that cleanup, Flourescent light setting , EV -0.7 , flash & AF on

Second W995 bookshelf shot

Also redid that terrible Elm plant night shot, original here :

Original Elm plant shot

This time at EV +1.2

Second Elm plant shot
fluke9
Samsung Galaxy S III
PM
Posted: 2010-08-19 18:26

On 2010-08-19 16:20:07, xclbr wrote:
Make up your mind and buy a phone so they won't be arguing anymore.

NoroBiik
Xperia Mini Pro Black
PM
Posted: 2010-08-20 05:52

On 2010-08-19 17:27:45, NoroBiik wrote:
@reeflotz Hoping for NoroBiik's good light comparative shots, the pictures shown took advantage of the Elm/Hazel weakness in lowlight shots.

coming up in about 8-12 hours Near midnight here in Manila - hopefully there's a sun tomorrow.

Finally have the first series of comparative shots in good light. The building shots had to be taken at 9am since before that time lighting conditions were too complex for either phone to handle well (more on that later).

Building shots , Landscape , Daylight setting & optimum EV for each phone (to bring out sky&buildings equally)

Elm building shot

W995 building shot

Note the richer & sharper colors of the Elm photo.

Construction shot, same settings as building shot

Elm construction shot

W995 construction shot

The reason why the W995 pics are darker than the Elm (in good light) is that you have to dial down the EV more to avoid overexposure from dulling & graying the colors. The W995's light sensitivity is a double edged sword, giving it the edge at night but handicapping it during the day with the existing cam driver.

The same is true for the Elm's sharpness algorithms btw - it gives this phone the edge in daytime but in poor or complex light the oversharpening effect is pretty bad at close look :

Elm early morning building oversharpening

This shot was taken between 7-8am when the sun's & cloud cover glare force you to either under expose the buildings to bring out the sky, or over expose the sky to bring out the buildings. A no-win situation for either phone but it brings the Elm's weakness in poor or complex lighting to the fore.

Last 2 shots are plant pics with macro settings, daylight, optimum EV

Elm plant macro

W995 plant macro

Note again how I had to dial down the W995's EV setting to avoid overexposing the shot & washing out the colors. The Elm shot has a clear edge in color richness & picture clarity.

I hope this helps resolve the decision on which phone to buy - I'd also like to thank the thread's author because this topic has re-ignited my interest in W995 camera mods

reeflotz
Hazel
PM
Posted: 2010-08-20 13:25
@ xclbr

@ NoroBiik nice shots! thanks for sharing and taking your time to take photos for this thread now we have a complete set of photos which shows the weakness of both Elm and W995.

To the topic starter, so which one will it be? which phone will be the lucky winner?
Hazel J20i [Bricked], Sony Xperia Go
reeflotz.blogspot.com
reeflotz@deviantart
TCR18H
W995 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-08-21 02:00
I had a look at the Elm today and it's a nice phone. Some good comparison shots and the Elm has the edge in daylight but not by as great a margin as I was expecting. Some cleaning up in photoshop will improve either camera's output. On price the Elm's the better value, certainly as far as camera abilities go so I'd say buy the Elm if the camera feature is what you're after. For me the camera is purely for convenience when I don't want to lug camera gear around. (If I need good picture quality I'll take my Fuji p&s or even my D700).
NoroBiik
Xperia Mini Pro Black
PM
Posted: 2010-08-21 06:15
Thanks guys The W995 performs better if you understand it's quirks - in full auto mode the difference in pics would have been greater.
Run_dawn10
Samsung Galaxy S II
PM
Posted: 2010-08-21 06:29
How do I set the "EV" I never saw a setting for it in the camera options.
Nokia 6070 (2006-2009), K550 (second hand 2009-2010), Hazel (J20i) (2010-2011), Samsung Galaxy S II (2011-2012), Samsung Galaxy S III (2012-2014), Sony Xperia Z3 (2014-)
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2010-08-21 06:36
You control the EV values with the dpad right or dpad left to increase or decrease respectively
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
fluke9
Samsung Galaxy S III
PM
Posted: 2010-08-21 14:11

On 2010-08-20 13:25:57, reeflotz wrote:
@ xclbr

@ NoroBiik nice shots! thanks for sharing and taking your time to take photos for this thread now we have a complete set of photos which shows the weakness of both Elm and W995.

To the topic starter, so which one will it be? which phone will be the lucky winner?

Still not decided on the winner.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-08-21 15:56
@NoroBiik that Elm plant daytime pic is the clear winner over the w995. The w995 is noisy blurry & has a green tint to the photo(Plank, sorry) Does anyone know where the cheapest place is to find the Hazel online for UK use? I have not seen the Hazel on any UK network
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2010-08-21 15:00 ]
Phone?? What phone??
TCR18H
W995 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-08-21 17:49
I agree.. Get the Hazel (when you can find one available.)

Check these owners shots from the Flickr photosharing site:

W995 Images
http://www.flickr.com/groups/w995/pool/

There's no Elm or Hazel shots available yet but the C901 is perhaps the closest example at the moment:

C901 Images
http://www.flickr.com/groups/c901/pool/
[ This Message was edited by: TCR18H on 2010-08-22 19:06 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic