Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Samsung > First impressions of Samsung Wave & Bada OS

Author First impressions of Samsung Wave & Bada OS
JohnM
Samsung Galaxy S i9000
PM
Posted: 2010-07-18 15:29
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
He sleeps well. We've been very lucky, we have 4 boys and they're all very good sleepers..... My wife and I wish we could sleep as well as they do!
Trusted trader.
JohnM
Samsung Galaxy S i9000
PM
Posted: 2010-07-20 10:24
Interesting thing I've found on the wave is when you take a picture you don't get a preview. However, it lets you take shots consecutively pretty much like a good digital compact camera. Can literally get a shot a second when initial focus is set, which for a phones camera is pretty respectable IMO. You can press the small "play" icon on the bottom right of the phones camera screen interface to review your shots.
Trusted trader.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-07-20 19:33
Goto settings in the camera & the part of the settings where you see the spanner symbol click on that & you should see REVIEW. That's the setting for it
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2010-07-20 18:33 ]
Phone?? What phone??
JohnM
Samsung Galaxy S i9000
PM
Posted: 2010-07-20 21:12

On 2010-07-20 19:33:38, Bonovox wrote:
Goto settings in the camera & the part of the settings where you see the spanner symbol click on that & you should see REVIEW. That's the setting for it
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2010-07-20 18:33 ]

Tried that when she first had the phone, nothing in there. Will have another look. Don't mind not having a review feature, as taking pictures of the kids with it means she can reel off a fairly quick succession of shots, then review them together to pick out the best ones.
Trusted trader.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-07-20 21:25
There is on my Galaxy but I thought all the Samsung camera were the same menu
Phone?? What phone??
JohnM
Samsung Galaxy S i9000
PM
Posted: 2010-07-20 21:42

On 2010-07-20 21:25:06, Bonovox wrote:

On the whole the menus are the same bar the review feature on the wave.
Trusted trader.
JohnM
Samsung Galaxy S i9000
PM
Posted: 2010-07-22 08:29

On 2010-07-20 21:25:06, Bonovox wrote:

It is there on the wave. Too many early starts is my excuse for completely missing that!
Trusted trader.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-07-22 09:56
My girlfriend just got a Wave. Ive been playing with it alot since she got it last week. Personally i dont think it would attract me into buying a Bada handset. To me it feels like its not a smartphone. Sure you can open apps up and leave them running in the background but the whole feel of the phone having power under the hood to perform great tasks isnt there. It feels when using it like a basic Samsung handset.

Holding the menu button down brings up the running apps tab. Its fairly easy to switch between apps using this feature, closing apps can be done here also. I did like the end all applications button too. One thing i did notice when compared to my Satio, is that you can view the running apps, but cannot get out of the running apps tab very easily. You either have to select an app or hit the call end button to go back to the standby screen. On a Symbian device, you can simply hold down the menu button again or hit the cancel button. On the Bada, you feel like you're going to be stuck in there forever !

I might be a bit too over critical however. I have gotten used to such depth of custom settings using a Symbian phone for so many years that the more limited Bada OS seems to me as basic. Its not, it has depth but i find it hard to use. Ive still not managed to setup a wifi access point. Im also at a loss as to how to setup the phone to ask which connection to use each time network access is required. The phone by default attempts connection via T-Mobile's Web & Walk service and only if that fails asks to search for alternative connections. I cannot find a setting to ask prior to connection.

The way Samsung name or label settings is rather strange to me. Its a nice phone however, but its more for the ladies with its styling. My girlfriend last night was writing a sms and needed to add something up with a calculator. I said to her hit the menu button and select the calculator as being a smartphone you can run it whilst running messaging. She got confused, irritated and reached for her old phone to use its calculator. A typical example of how i see the Bada OS being wasted on the typical owner who might buy the Wave. Such a shame.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
JohnM
Samsung Galaxy S i9000
PM
Posted: 2010-07-22 20:45
It does seem to be in between a high end feature phone and a smartphone. I personally found it extremely easy to use. It is very user friendly. Would probably be better for those who want a more "phone" like smartphone if that makes sense. My wife has used several S60 handsets in the past. Her last being a Nokia X6. Before the Wave, she had an Xperia X10 mini, but couldn't get on with it. It didn't have a good battery life, and had a bad habit of loosing its MMS settings at random! The Wave has been very stable for what she uses it for, and for a new OS, it isn't bad all in all. Not up there with Android by a long shot, but I do find BADA pleasant and easy to use.
Trusted trader.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-07-23 14:02
Well, generally its not Bada you're using, its just the touchwhiz interface that sits between the OS and the user.

For all we know, Bada could be quite capable but its limited by the lack of options given by the Touchwhiz GUI.

Like i said i dont like how Samsung name menus. They dont make sense.
pao9195
K770 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-07-24 05:29
Wave is very very far behind SE Vivas
Devices: Sony Ericsson k770i and Samsung Wave S8500
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-07-24 18:15
I dont see how apart from the Bada OS limitations.
JohnM
Samsung Galaxy S i9000
PM
Posted: 2010-07-24 19:05

On 2010-07-24 05:29:11, pao9195 wrote:
Wave is very very far behind SE Vivas

Vivaz is badly implemented symbian device. Only redeeming features seem to be hd video recording with continuous autofocus, even so this is let down by very low sound recording.
[ This Message was edited by: JohnM on 2010-07-24 18:07 ]
Trusted trader.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-07-25 23:54
How is it badly implemented ?
JohnM
Samsung Galaxy S i9000
PM
Posted: 2010-07-26 16:59

On 2010-07-25 23:54:19, etaab wrote:
How is it badly implemented ?

Very sparse version of S60, like SE couldn't be bothered to do anything interesting customising the UI ok for and the tabbed homescreen, then the media centre, it's like thet've not been well intergrated. Just my opinion of what I think to the Vivaz. My wife liked the look of it, but when trying it out I found it dissapointing in general. But I'm not here to SE bash and I'm sure to some people it is adequate for them. Courses for horses.............
Trusted trader.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic