Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Android > iPhone 3GS vs X10 Mini Pro vs. something else?

Author iPhone 3GS vs X10 Mini Pro vs. something else?
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2010-07-26 10:13
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Lol, many make that Frodo mistake. Just remember this way, all Android versions are named after deserts. You get 1.5 Cupcake, 1.6 Donut, 2.1 Eclaire and 2.2 Froyo (Frozen Yoghurt).
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-07-27 04:52
lol, when they get to cheesecake I'm there...
Brightspark
S500 Green
PM
Posted: 2010-07-28 03:12

On 2010-07-26 04:11:05, max_wedge wrote:
It's true there is a lot less restriction on Android compared to iphone. And yes Froya is a vast improvement.

While Android is currently more restricted than winmo, after the release of WP7 the tables will be turned with Android probably being the leading "open" mobile OS. WP7 looks to suck bigtime which is a major disappointment from Microsoft.

@abubasim, your docstogo example is exactly why I don't like iPhone. I mean why can't all apps share the same storage? How antiquated is that? And why no bluetooth transfer? Or wifi tethering?

android is not more restricted than winmo. i think you chose the wrong word to use. android is still young, so whilst there may be the ocassional facility that isn't implemented yet, that doesn't make it more restricted. restricted means that the potential to do something is there but it's being deliberately held back by the manufacturer(google), and that isn't the case.

as for the decision between an android device and an iphone, that's a no brainer. the only 'reason' to go with the iphone is if you're an apple zombie who's had his/her brains sucked out and replaced by a fruit.
[ This Message was edited by: Brightspark on 2010-07-28 02:18 ]
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2010-07-28 03:23
I get where you're coming from Brightspark, but winmo has always had the ability to change behaviour via registry edits or 3rd party software and android is definitely still in its infancy in this area... and most people judge a device by what it can do NOW, not by what it may be able to do in the future. Having said that and having had the Desire, I'll probably never go back to a winmo device despite 7 years+ of use.

as for your comment between android and iphone, sadly as a user of both and certainly (I hope) not yet a zombie I still stick with the iphone though I have already admitted from Desire use that next year that opinion may well change, or at least be a much harder decision
Brightspark
S500 Green
PM
Posted: 2010-07-28 03:44
yes, winmo pre 7 (RIP) had great ability to customise in many areas, but i'm not aware of it having the scope and modularity to be able to literally change everything that android can. you can change the functionality of everything on android. whether there's an an app to do it is another matter, but the potential to do so is there (eg you can even change the cam interface and replace any native app to make the new one behave as if it's native).

don't leave it too long.
[ This Message was edited by: Brightspark on 2010-07-28 02:45 ]
AbuBasim
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-07-28 08:19

On 2010-07-28 03:44:37, Brightspark wrote:
you can change the functionality of everything on android. whether there's an an app to do it is another matter, but the potential to do so is there (eg you can even change the cam interface and replace any native app to make the new one behave as if it's native).

All the source code is open, including the camera drivers? Does Sony Ericsson publish the code for their own camera modules?

On 2010-07-26 06:55:52, max_wedge wrote:
better than what I first thought it was: frodo

Why isn't it FroYo (with a capital Y)? And why is a specific brand of frozen yoghurt? Next version will be Jello? Why not SPAM? (Some people love Spam so much that they eat it as a desert after food.)
[ This Message was edited by: AbuBasim on 2010-07-28 18:08 ]
Brightspark
S500 Green
PM
Posted: 2010-07-28 21:43

On 2010-07-28 08:19:34, AbuBasim wrote:

On 2010-07-28 03:44:37, Brightspark wrote:
you can change the functionality of everything on android. whether there's an an app to do it is another matter, but the potential to do so is there (eg you can even change the cam interface and replace any native app to make the new one behave as if it's native).

All the source code is open, including the camera drivers? Does Sony Ericsson publish the code for their own camera modules?

what's SE got to do with it? the interface is android's
AbuBasim
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-07-28 22:14
You're right. After posting, I found Google's online API reference and it seems to show that you can write your own camera app as the OS provides all the interfacing with the camera hardware for preview and capture and including shooting modes, effects, etc.

But that also limits you from writing a camera app that could for example do more advanced things like shooting in low-light with low ISO and very slow shutter speed. For that you would need direct access to the camera driver which I guess the hardware vendors (SE, HTC etc) will not be happy to publish documentation on.
[ This Message was edited by: AbuBasim on 2010-07-28 21:16 ]
Pochi
W900 black
PM
Posted: 2010-07-29 01:58

On 2010-07-27 04:52:34, max_wedge wrote:
lol, when they get to cheesecake I'm there...

Cheesecake mmm...

Maybe Cookie after?
Visit My Blog At: http://www.ffxivlife.com/
driesel
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-08-01 20:51
I'm curious to know whether or not the TS actually made the transition to X10 mini pro.
I'm in the same position since I'm also considering selling my 3GS and getting an X10 mini pro. I bought an X10 mini (non pro) for my brother's birthday and I'm quite impressed with it. I want something portable, that could fit in whatever pocket I would like to shove it in (which is not the case for my 3GS). I was tempted by HTC Desire, but that thing is humongous as well.
I'm just hoping I won't regret ditching the 3GS for something to the likes of X10 mini...

greetings,
Dries
iamstevie
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2010-08-01 23:09

On 2010-08-01 20:51:57, driesel wrote:
I'm curious to know whether or not the TS actually made the transition to X10 mini pro.
I'm in the same position since I'm also considering selling my 3GS and getting an X10 mini pro. I bought an X10 mini (non pro) for my brother's birthday and I'm quite impressed with it. I want something portable, that could fit in whatever pocket I would like to shove it in (which is not the case for my 3GS). I was tempted by HTC Desire, but that thing is humongous as well.
I'm just hoping I won't regret ditching the 3GS for something to the likes of X10 mini...

greetings,
Dries

Well....

I bought a Mini Pro, but unfortunately I didn't realise it was locked to O2 (I'm with Vodafone). So I'm in the process of now selling it (if anyone is interested in buying, 180 delivered lol...).

But I did get the chance to use it. I'd say considering the cost of a 3GS, for me it would have been a worthwhile trade. Essentially I got my money back on the 3GS (bought for 320, sold for 310!), so in switching to the Mini Pro I got over 100 cash in my pocket. And considering it offers virtually everything the 3GS has (plus more), that's really value for money.

What I would say however, is there's ONE THING that I didn't like about it. And ironically, its to do with the small screen size/resolution! Basically, I've started using the web a lot, and the screen size is just too small (or more specifically the resolution is too low)... you need to be really zoomed in for text on a webpage to be legible, as the low resolution just produces fuzzy unreadable text if you're zoomed out even a bit.

I haven't decided if it's a deal-breaker for me yet though.... everything else on the phone is fine!! So I might still buy another Mini Pro, or I might wait a little while to see if a better phone comes along. It'll only drop down in price so I'm happy waiting lol.

A 3 inch screen size with better resolution would be optimal.... like I love the look of the X8, that for me is my ideal phone in terms of size (its roughly the size that mobiles used to be before this fascination with touchscreens made all mobiles ridiculously huge!). But without a keyboard or camera flash its probably not for me. And I reckon Sony will prob treat it like a low-end phone and not provide any reasonable upgrades and product support which would also be annoying!

If someone invents a 3inch Android phone with keyboard and flash, I'm there! Otherwise, I'll prob stick with another Mini Pro
[ This Message was edited by: iamstevie on 2010-08-01 22:11 ]
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-08-11 03:15
its roughly the size that mobiles used to be before this fascination with touchscreens made all mobiles ridiculously huge!).

LOL, yep I've noticed that. The smallest phone I've owned was the K700i, since then they've just got bigger and bigger!! Mainly due to the demand for bigger screens that can comfortably view a webpage. And now with touch as you say it's getting ridiculous!

I envisage a time not too far distant where touch screen phones will come as big as a PSP (the original one)! Of course there will alway be smaller handset for those who only use a phone as a phone, mp3 player or camera, but for the app and Internet users there will be demand for increasingly larger phones.

It sounds unlikely, but consider this: 15 years ago, we were carrying around mobiles that were considered small for the day, and they were twice as big as any phone on the market today. I remember my first "Pocketable" mobile - it was about as wide as an iphone and twice as thick and almost twice as long. I thought it was great, because I didn't have to carry the damn thing on my belt.

So I reckon we'll get used to larger phones. The primary difference though, unlike the old phones, these will have the entire fascia taken up by screen, whereas the old phones had tiny screens and massive keypads.
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-08-11 05:59
@iamstevie, I had pretty much the same criteria as you before I bought my Mini Pro.

I've been living with touchscreen phones since 2003, when I got the P800 and removed the keypad.

iPhone vs....well, everyone. I don't hate the iPhone. I just don't think it functions as a phone/SMS device very well. Therefore, the iPod Touch has been my primary PDA since Apple released the iPhone w/o the phone hehehehe.

I've held off getting an Android device simply because the first few never really got me interested. They jumped aboard the pissing-contest against the iPhone which I didn't care for.

Bigger screen...more memory...faster CPU... ya ya I get it, you're "supposed to be better" .. but carrying around a 4" screen in my jeans pocket isn't easy, attractive, comfortable or convenient. The iPhone beat everyone to the "Smartphone for the masses" game. Let it go.

Enter the X10 Mini and Mini Pro. The FIRST entry into the game that decided to be different. I was considering the X10 when it first came out but again, it was just another iPhone clone.

I thought that SE took a big risk going against the norm...but I'm hoping for them, it was the right one...personally, I think it was.

The X10 Mini Pro is great. I love it. My only gripe is the battery life, but given the size of the phone, it's forgivable... until SE decides to license RCA's airnergy tech and incorporate it into their devices... I didn't expect it to really outlast my P1i.

On the screen size... it is small... I knew that before I even saw the phone. I don't understand why some people act "surprised" ... that's like buying a Z4 then whining that it's not as roomy as an Excursion. SE did NOT hide the fact that it was a 2.5" screen. It wasn't a wool sweater that shrank when you put it in the dryer. The X10 Mini/MP are the ONLY products that have a screen that small, if they wanted a bigger screen, why not get the X10... or the Hero... or the Galaxy... or the iPhone... or almost every other PDA phone on the market that brags about screen size?

Android itself is great and promising. Apple has spent millions on developing their user interface and experience (until other manufacturers understand the importance of "user experience"... they will still lag behind the iPhone)

I would have gladly paid more for my Mini Pro if the interface was polished up a little more... specially Timescape. But hopefully over time, updates will address those issues.

Multi-tasking is great and all, but I think Android should cap it at 2 or 3 background services max. The lack of multi-tasking is what has also led to the success of iOS until now. It may be annoying, but it allows Apple to maintain a decent level of menu performance at all times... this IS critical when you don't like waiting for 30 sec for your SMS app to load because a game, IM, email, weather, forex, and facebook are running in the background.

I believe each OS has it's own strengths and weaknesses... Android is good for people that know HOW to maximize it. It allows full customization of ones phone to behave exactly the way they want it to.... assuming they already knew what they wanted from a pho...er..communications device.

The iPhone works OOTB. Period. I never liked it, but I do see it's appeal and refinement in execution. It's a Camry... maybe ... MAYBE even a Lexus. Not a souped up Honda w/ manual transmission, which is what Android is... Android HAS the potential to be an M3 if FroYo does deliver as promised, and general UI of 3rd party apps are improved.

Specific to the Mini Pro... I decided to get the Pro since it has a qwerty keyboard... but despite that, I'm actually liking the T9 and gesture search apps more. Although I doubt I would trade my Pro in for the regular Mini... it's more of my personal security blanket rather than the Mini's shortcomings of not having a keyboard. With the right apps, I rarely open my keyboard when I blog, email, or text. I'm waiting for a proper Jot (aka Graffiti 2) input device to be made available since I never liked Graffiti. THAT will bump the Mini up a whole lot in the usability area.
jam
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2010-08-12 15:18
@jplacson have you tried mobilewrite?
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-08-12 18:33
jam, it doesn't show up on my marketplace... might be a region restriction... but it does look like Jot, and I will consider it if I see it!

Thanks for the tip!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi