Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Android > X10 vs HTC Desire vs iPhone 4

Author X10 vs HTC Desire vs iPhone 4
SloopJohnB
K750
PM
Posted: 2010-06-20 06:14
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I don't wanna turn this topic into an iphone x android discussion. The truth is that you are happy with what x10 has to offer, so you think is a better device. No matter what disavantage I point out whether is really bad battery life, slow performance (there's people on this topic that agree with me on this one), worst apps, less consist UI, less capable syncing and etc etc, you'll always try and diminish them by saying they don't matter to 'you' or you don't find them important.
About the iphone 3gs performance, the only apps that take longer to load are heavier games or apps, which is understandable since not even android match iphone today in quality of games or apps. The iphone does run more than one app at once, it has done so since os 1.0 (apple apps). The fact that you don't know or don't care about the apps don't make them less relevant. The app store is still much better than the android market, like I said before, specially for niche apps like medical or other professional apps. And NO, you CAN'T find them on android now. If you do, they are subpar. Same thing with games. Android users are happy now because gameloft is releasing games that have been available for the iphone for over a year. You need a high end android phone to run well games that run just fine on an iphone 3g (mid2008).
I won't even get in the discussion about the android 1.6 on x10 because is a pretty obvious disavantage. Not only you end up with a more limited app market but you find your phone can't run some of the newest apps because the OS is outdated. Wonderful.
If you wanna support android, X10 isn't even the best android device around... but that's for another topic.
nasko_nankov
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-06-20 07:17

On 2010-06-20 06:14:41, SloopJohnB wrote:
I don't wanna turn this topic into an iphone x android discussion. The truth is that you are happy with what x10 has to offer, so you think is a better device. No matter what disavantage I point out whether is really bad battery life, slow performance (there's people on this topic that agree with me on this one), worst apps, less consist UI, less capable syncing and etc etc, you'll always try and diminish them by saying they don't matter to 'you' or you don't find them important.
About the iphone 3gs performance, the only apps that take longer to load are heavier games or apps, which is understandable since not even android match iphone today in quality of games or apps. The iphone does run more than one app at once, it has done so since os 1.0 (apple apps). The fact that you don't know or don't care about the apps don't make them less relevant. The app store is still much better than the android market, like I said before, specially for niche apps like medical or other professional apps. And NO, you CAN'T find them on android now. If you do, they are subpar. Same thing with games. Android users are happy now because gameloft is releasing games that have been available for the iphone for over a year. You need a high end android phone to run well games that run just fine on an iphone 3g (mid2008).
I won't even get in the discussion about the android 1.6 on x10 because is a pretty obvious disavantage. Not only you end up with a more limited app market but you find your phone can't run some of the newest apps because the OS is outdated. Wonderful.
If you wanna support android, X10 isn't even the best android device around... but that's for another topic.

My friend are you serious? I just sold my iphone 3gs last week and got the x10. The x10 is actually faster and has better battery life. The x10 is miles ahead of the iphone at least 3gs. When i jailbroke it with spirit and put winterboard, SBsettings, backrounder and proswitcher the phone went very slow i would say almost half the speed of the x10. And that is only with running a backround a settings bar on top and multi tasking where with x10 you have tons of more stuff going on and its twice as fast as a 3gs. Please man do not say to other people u havent used an iphone and so on. The iphone battery lasted me 5-6 hours if i played with it quite a bit and now the x10 lasts me 7-8 and it keeps getting better every day. I also have helix launcher and that also improved the speed and the battery by 20%. Speed with x10 its definately not an issue it is faster than an iphone 3gs in pretty much every aspect. And wtf " X10 isn't even the best android device around... " i think x10 is in the top 5 if not in top 3 after the evo and the desire or whatever it is. Anyway i will open your eyes a little more about iphone later but i got to go now.

PS i know alot about iphones beleive me i know every single thing about it.
[ This Message was edited by: nasko_nankov on 2010-06-20 06:28 ]
Indiandawg
Apple iPhone
PM
Posted: 2010-06-20 07:39
On a very serious note. I have seen X10 lagging while switching from homescreen to media or web browser.
I have also used iPhone and iPhone 3GS of my friend and I can clearly say it was FAST!

I think we should wait until June 24 and then am sure we will have clear review on iPhone 4.
T200 -> T68i -> T610 -> K700i -> P910i -> W800i -> P990i -> M600i -> P1-> Nokia E71 -> X1i -> X10 -> Arc S -> Sony Z1 -> Sony Z Ultra -> Sony Z3+ -> iPhone 6 -> iPhone 7 Plus -> iPhone X -> iPhone XS Max
nasko_nankov
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-06-20 07:47
Was your friends iphone jailbroken? because to get any use of the iphone you have to be jailbroken and beleive me it gets slow. Iphone is limited really limited. even without jb its still not as fast as the x10. please man dont try to convince me as i know alot about it. the x10 migh lagg at some point and it is because of stock software. i updated mine to r1fb001 and put helix laucher and man is it fast. but thats not the point the point is that you cant really compare iphone with x10 its just twice as better hardwarewise or softwarewise.
Tri3Dent
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2010-06-20 08:24
I agree with nasko..

But just a little note added. Iphone 3G and 3Gs may seem fast to you and it may be fast but that's because the iphone OS is so locked up and does not allow you to customize it in any way other than moving icons and of course no multitasking (well LIMITED multi tasking or should i say double tasking only with the music). With this, the phone of course feels fast. No choppy at all. That's the reason why Apple has not released multitask until now.. which has been a feature of smartphones since for awhile.

With the X10, it's fast.. and yes it sometimes does chop up but only for a few seconds and that's cuz the phone's ability to multitask with running programs in the background. And the X10 does it pretty good.

I'm not saying the X10 is the best phone out there but it's a good phone. With 2.1 upgrade, it would just make this phone better.
MyP910
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2010-06-20 09:07
As I stated earlier to me after comparing both, iphone 3gs is not faster than x10. As stated by others, yes at time the phone might be a bit slow, but this is due to the several applications that run in the background... and even that, it is not slow and does not happen all the time. As I said, with all the customization done by SE, the phone is really fast.

Given the ability to run many programs at the same time with clever memory management, I think android has done a good job. Even windows mobile can't beat android in terms of multitasking (I'm not talking abt windows mobile 7)

Doing multitasking is not an easy job and maybe this is the reason why iphone can't do proper multitasking.

x10 will get 2. 1 later, but to be honest, even with current version I don't find the need to upgrade. Maybe I want it, but I don't need it.

Perhaps iphone 4 will improve a bit, but after reading what it can offer, I don't find significant advantage. I'm expecting iphone can do more. Perhaps, it is apple business model not to open the phone.
AbuBasim
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-06-20 14:01

On 2010-06-19 14:53:24, AbuBasim wrote:

On 2010-06-19 10:19:14, masseur wrote:
htc sync is basic compared to itunes sync
I can't get my outlook notes over, nor my music/podcasts etc.
of course, there are always 3rd party apps though

Are there *any* tools for syncing an Android phone in the same way you do with iPhone/iTunes, i.e. that it keeps track of what podcasts, audiobooks and videos you have played and also keeps track of how far each media file have been played? (If you start playing a podcast on your iPhone, sync it to your PC or Mac and then play the same podcast on the computer, it will resume from the same point where you paused it on the phone. The same with audiobooks and videos.)

No answer so I take that as a 'no'.
Mano82
Xperia X10 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-06-20 15:33
Who will win: Android or iPhone?

The two major competitors in smart phones, Google's Android and Apple's iPhone, boast different features. Site PC World said that Androids system is best.

The editors at PCWorld have picked up nine areas where they believe Android is better than iPhone.

1. Android runs many apps at same time

Ever since version 1.0 has Android been able to run several applications at once, whether it is system applications or apps from the Android Marketplace.

Apple is trying to bring some in on Android with iPhone OS 4, where developers can access a list of APIs (Application Programming Interface) that can run specific services in the background. But it is far up to the multitasking that Android boasts.

The current version of the iPhone OS offer admittedly limited multitasking, but only for their own apps like Mail, iPod and phone, which then runs in the background.

Android-users are far ahead because they can receive messages, listen to music and receive huge GPS data without the application must be open.

2. Everything on the screen all the time

One of the biggest advantages of Android is the ability to customize the screen. You have active widgets at your fingertip, clear and easy to spot. Without having to launch an application first.

A widget is a graphical element such as a window or a text box that gives users quick and direct access to the portion of an application that the user can modify or adapt for your own needs.

In other words, a widget, a visual shortcut that will make it easier for the user to communicate with and make the settings in one application.

There are widgets to mostly all apps in the Android Marketplace, from music to check the weather forecast and stay up to date on Facebook. iPhone users, however, is forced to scroll through the app list to locate and start each application.

3. Androids store is user-driven

Apple's App Store have certainly more than 180 000 applications from around 50 000 on the Android Marketplace, but the Android Marketplace is growing in return so quickly that there are good chances to obtain the iPhone App Store.

Additionally, Android the great advantage of being a fully free market. Apple receives about 10,000 suggestions for apps of the week, but many will be sorted out for various reasons.

Android Market Place is fully user-driven and completely without any form of censorship, which makes the possibilities endless.

4. Better Notice system with Android

iPhone has problems with notices. Because there is only pop-ups, iPhone can only handle one at a time. And because the phone does not mastered multitasking, applications must be open to deliver messages.

Android, however, has a handy message line with an icon for every pending message. Message line can be pulled down, thus revealing more details about each message.

In addition, developers are free to make the information legible details behind a locked screen, something the iPhone can only do with the phone's original applications.

5. Android lets you select the phone yourself

Apple users are encouraged to think differently, but when it comes to hardware are not users many choices. They can select the color (black or white) and they can choose from 16GB or the more expensive 32GB version. Beyond that you get the iPhone 3.5 inch 320x480 pixel display, 256MB ram and a 600MHz processor. (We should mention that the hardware specifications for the upcoming iPhone 4 is greatly improved.)

Because Android is an open platform, producers have the freedom to create phones with different hardware such as the Nexus One (by 3.7 inch 800x480 display, 512MB RAM and 1GHz Snapdragon processor) or Motorola Droid, who has a real keyboard. There are options unlimited.

6. You can install your own ROMs on Android

iPhone can be opened for non-approved applications (jailbreaking) and added further functionality, such as installation of apps that are not available in the App Store. But the whole experience is the same, you sit still with the same user interface.

Android on the other hand, a large "community" which is dedicated to building special ROMs for Android devices.

These ROMs not only provides the same functionality as for jailbreaking, but also provides custom solutions to your phone. There are ROMs that make special user interface usable from one Android-based device to the other. Other ROMs facilitate heavy operations and make the device faster.

The user interface on an Android phone will constantly improved by a large global Android Community, which is simply not the case with the iPhone.

7. Change layout fast with Android

In recent years, smart phones have more and more functionality, such as WiFi, GPS, Bluetooth and so on.

So good these features are to have, but they drain battery a lot.

Many functions drain the battery, and it is a great advantage to be able to turn features on and off using widgets. iPhone users do not have any widgets, and have to paddle around in the setting functions each time they use the Internet or a Bluetooth function.

Some users modify the system setup on his phone that the battery will last longer, for example, only to turn on WiFi or Bluetooth when they are needed for these functions.

Android, however, allows the use of widgets to handle the settings directly from the screen. For less used applications that do not have a dedicated widget, it can be created a shortcut on the main screen that takes you directly to the desired function.

8. Android deal with Google and social networks

With smart phones, we can be online all the time, and it is perhaps not surprising that most of our "life" move online.

We have e-mail messages, Flickr photos, Google Docs for documents and Facebook and Twitter for our social life.

Android offers as standard the possibility to integrate all this.
Gmail can be automatically synchronized with your phone. Photos you have taken with the phone can be automatically uploaded to Flickr. The phone can even connect to your Facebook account and synchronize your phone contacts with your Facebook friends, complete with profile pictures, e-mail addresses and phone numbers.

All this iPhone can only by using third-party applications, and is not close to making it as stylish as the Android performing.

9. Android gives you more for your money

If you have ever considered buying an iPhone, then you probably noticed the price. Even the half-old iPhone 3G is pretty expensive, and the newer 3GS is considerably more expensive.

It can be difficult to compare conditions across the Atlantic, but the fact is that most Android phones are available for a fraction of the price you usually must pay for an iPhone.

(Source: VG.no)
SKIBBE
Xperia Arc Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-06-20 17:05
@Mano82 some good shit!
History
t20e > t68i(t68 f/w) > t610i > k700i > W900i > W960i > x10i > Current: Misty Silver Arc
SloopJohnB
K750
PM
Posted: 2010-06-20 17:41
If you hack your phone and things start behaving weird, it's not the phone's fault. Just as I thought, this has turned into a biased iPhone x android discussion (biased towards android of course). I won't get in the discussion, but what I can say is that they are different OSs. It's also silly in my opinion to judge the iPhone for the 'number' of functions the OS has. Apple learned with the first iPhone that what matters is the implementation, not the number. Do it well, instead of do it first. If people were really concerned with the 'number', iPhones would be selling less than win mo devices from day one and boy, don't we know it didn't happen this way. Android's multitasking is nothing special, it's just a wide open Linux system with no special apis or services like apple has done. Is android more open? Yes. But is it more unstable? Yes and tends to get sluggish and the user doesn't know what the OS is doing unless you use a task manager which to me is no really solution at all. Most people will find the iPhone easier and more effective because it won't get sluggish and the battery life will be better. It's funny how the article above doesn't talk about media or sync, where android is clearly behind. It judges things biasedly and leaves out the things where android is clearly lacking.
nasko_nankov
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-06-20 18:07
@SloopJohnB

Really? Its obvious that you are an apple fanboy and yes i am an android fanboy since i switched from 3gs. Android offers so much more for you, its unbelievable all the customatization you can do. If i limit the x10 so that it can only do 5 things like the iphone the x10 will fly. I still cant beleive that people think iphone and ios are better i really cant. As of the syncing again are you serious?? Who the f likes itunes????? I hated it. The syncing was awful it would delete programs from my phone if there weren on the computer and etc.. and when your jb it gets even worse. Anyway i will not try to convince you anymore as you have your mind brainwashed by apple. Apple its kind of -- you buy a house and you cant touch it i mean you cant move anything inside and have it your own way you just have to live with it like that and Android is just like your regular house right now where you can do whatever the heck you want to do and yes it might be a little messier but its because you have all the freedom to do whatever you want.

PS sorry for my english if something is not understood i am trying to explain the best i can.
SKIBBE
Xperia Arc Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-06-20 18:13
one question, can you put any file on the iphone? via usb-transfer? or can you only use itunes or appel sync programs with limited file assosiation? (never had an iphone) will it show up as a portabel device that you can copy and paste and move files as you want?
History
t20e > t68i(t68 f/w) > t610i > k700i > W900i > W960i > x10i > Current: Misty Silver Arc
emuneee
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-06-20 18:29

On 2010-06-20 18:13:03, SKIBBE wrote:
one question, can you put any file on the iphone? via usb-transfer? or can you only use itunes or appel sync programs with limited file assosiation? (never had an iphone) will it show up as a portabel device that you can copy and paste and move files as you want?

This is a feature of iOS 4/iTunes 9.2. You can now upload any file type to your iPhone running iOS4 using iTunes.
Mano82
Xperia X10 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-06-20 19:26
Yes, of course this article was "biased" because it didn't praised iPhone And why people buy iPhone? Because it is in. It's "cool" to show that you've iPhone. Just read what people think abou iPhone 4, Many people buying it because they think it has 4G
rikken
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2010-06-20 20:24
It is a matter of taste guys. Some like the iPhone and some prefer the Android. Different people want different things. No point in saying that my phone is better than yours. None of us have made our phones anyway
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi