Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Hazel - A good phone?

123  Next
Author Hazel - A good phone?
robcar
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-04-21 16:17
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hi, Hazel has now come out in stores in Sweden and I am very keen on this.
Does anyone have the phone?
Has the Jazelle?
CPU power?
Gap in the slider?

Thanks in advance
masada1971
Xperia Mini Pro White
PM
Posted: 2010-04-21 17:30
nothing yet in rest of Europe..is too soon..anyway whats the price in euros in Sweden for Hazel,sim free?
[ This Message was edited by: masada1971 on 2010-04-21 16:31 ]
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2010-04-21 23:47
Let's hope Hazel is as amazing as Elm
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-04-21 23:48
Well it has same specs but bigger screen in a slider. I may get it
Phone?? What phone??
Svithiod
Aino Black
PM
Posted: 2010-04-22 09:35
I am also interested in the Hazel (or the Elm), so these are good questions, but some perhaps a bit difficult to answer this early. Sorry that I can't address all of your questions, but I would like to add some information that may be of interest when discussing the Hazel.

Obviously, due to different design there are some differences in button size and shape if we compare with the Elm, but I guess that the Hazel has good ergonomics, just like Elm.

The display, 2.6 instead of 2.2 on the Elm, is said to be covered with mineral glass on the Hazel and capable of 16 M colours. So far, in the reviews I've seen (since I have not yet looked at the Hazel), the Hazel seems to be slightly brighter, but that can depend on so much so it's difficult to judge. Elm is a very nice phone, but a slightly larger screen with more colours is the main reason why I am looking at the Hazel, but then it’s a slide phone.

As mentioned at some places, the Hazel has a secondary camera on the front, that's not included on the Elm version sold here, the J10i2. I don't know if it is there in another version of the Elm, it seems to be possible according to the manual. But manuals are not always correct. BTW, I guess some of you noticed that, at least in some languages (Swedish), in the press release, 14 December, they mentioned a micro-USB charger (!) (the new GreenHeart, EP310) and it was copied verbatim at some online shops and even "reviews". Anyhow, there is a new GreenHeart charger for the Fastport as well, the EP300 included with Naite.

Also, the manuals mentions anti-virus and shows an F-Secure symbol; what's up with that? Huh? It’s also there in the support page’s phone sim...

I don't know about the CPU or the Jazelle extension; some reviews said the Elm was a bit slow when browsing the net or even in the UI, but I don’t know. The Java platform seems to be 8.5, same as Yari and Aino (and Elm). Also I don’t know if the Hazel could be perceived as less snappy due to larger screen etc. compared to the Elm, but I don't think so. There is another minor difference, it seems, the Hazel is all plastic, apart from display cover, but the Elm has some metal in the battery cover.

As for prices, someone asked, at the moment the Hazel can be found at around €205-210, but remember that this is very early, more or less just 4-5 days since release, the price is going down. Last week some online shops started to add prices for Hazel; on Monday (19th) Sony Ericsson added the support pages for the Hazel (manual etc.), removed the little icon “You’ll be able to get your hands on…” and now we're off.

At the moment the Elm is found at around €180 (1€=9.62 SEK) or around £155 (£1=11.10 SEK). I do not know, but it seems like the Hazel includes two headsets, the same as Elm plus the new GreenHeart, Bluetooth VH700, but some online sites can’t be trusted when it comes to that information. It’s nice, but personally not that interesting, compared to some other Bluetooth headsets, so I guess some will look at something else. So, the difference here is, at the moment, around 25-30 Euros.

The only question I have regarding Hazel is build quality, regarding the slide. I have not had any slide phones, but I've seen or read about problems, and looking at some recent from SE, such as W995, some had problems with a bit of wobble, and that is such a nuisance I don't know if I would like to risk that.

I have no worries about picture or video quality; the Hazel took good videos (or very good) in the gsmarena review, and the image quality is probably going to be improved; we have seen very nice photos with the Elm.

So, I am also interested if anyone has seen a trend or similar when it comes to SE slide phones and build quality. The reviews say that the slide on the Hazel is smooth and nice.

Sorry for the lengthy post, my first here. Will be shorter in the future.

P.S. Thanks to all who have posted pictures, taken with their Elm, in other threads.
robcar
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-04-23 07:39
Thanks for the replies. I have had an ELM and I have nothing to complain about but now it's sold for me to buy a Hazel. The price is at 2000SEK = 207 Euro
robcar
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-04-23 12:57
Now I have Hazel in my hand and just took it out of the Postoffice. The difference I notice from elm is that the screen has much better contrast and more beautiful to watch. It also feels slightly faster in the system. Slide is perfect on my copy, no lag at all! The quality is absolutely nothing wrong except that the navigation button feels a bit cheap to the rest of the phone.
[ This Message was edited by: robcar on 2010-04-23 11:58 ]
dajumper
Elm Black
PM
Posted: 2010-04-23 23:06
can you post the themes from hazel maybe? please?

On 2010-04-23 12:57:44, robcar wrote:
Now I have Hazel in my hand and just took it out of the Postoffice. The difference I notice from elm is that the screen has much better contrast and more beautiful to watch. It also feels slightly faster in the system. Slide is perfect on my copy, no lag at all! The quality is absolutely nothing wrong except that the navigation button feels a bit cheap to the rest of the phone.
[ This Message was edited by: robcar on 2010-04-23 11:58 ]

robcar
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-04-24 00:13
Yes i can but its only the THM files

http://www.filefront.com/16224239/Hazel%20orginal%20themes.rar
dajumper
Elm Black
PM
Posted: 2010-04-24 01:34
thx my friend hope flash menu's comes also soon, and add me to msn maybe i can help to extract them, i know some good people who can do that?

ray-an@live.nl

and can you maybe upload the original images from hazel maybe also swf images?

On 2010-04-24 00:13:44, robcar wrote:
Yes i can but its only the THM files

http://www.filefront.com/16224239/Hazel%20orginal%20themes.rar
Svithiod
Aino Black
PM
Posted: 2010-04-24 09:02

On 2010-04-23 12:57:44, robcar wrote:
[...] The difference I notice from elm is that the screen has much better contrast and more beautiful to watch. It also feels slightly faster in the system. Slide is perfect on my copy, no lag at all! The quality is absolutely nothing wrong except that the navigation button feels a bit cheap to the rest of the phone.

Thanks for the comments. It seems to be quite good quality; build, camera and firmware. So far I have only seen some comment about poor GSM reception, or below average, I have seen some case with that mentioned also for the Elm, but they replaced their phones. Apart from that, nothing.
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2010-04-24 11:25
Poor signal was with first firmware. Fixed in later FW
Svithiod
Aino Black
PM
Posted: 2010-04-24 12:51
Nice to hear. I didn't know if there was a new firmware out, but since Elm has been around for some weeks (months) and such updates are more likely in the beginning of the life cycle, it is as expected.

Does anyone know what they mean with "anti-virus" in the Hazel and Elm (as mentioned in the Internet version of the manual and in their phone simulator)? It seems to be an F-Secure logo; I thought they "only" supported Symbian, Windows and Android. Odd.
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2010-04-24 22:20
Anti-virus for Elm/Hazel is only to take your money
adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2010-04-27 22:11
What I don't understand is, yes you can buy the Hazel which is new, but the W995 is still much better, with 8MP camera and 3.5mm jack are the two main things W995 has but the Hazel lacks. And you can buy this, now for cheaper then the Hazel.

So I'd say just buy the W995 it's cheap, it's great and it's better then the hazel
A-D-S-A-D-A
Xperia S
Long live the legacy of the Xperia arc
Long live the legacy of the K850i
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi