Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Accessories > Xperia X10 Protection (Cases, Films, etc.

Author Xperia X10 Protection (Cases, Films, etc.
t68iNWO
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-04-29 03:21
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Great information here everyone. Thank you. As for Cases, are there any suggestions? I just purchased this case (http://www.pdair.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=10100000_1800000_11000898&products_id=28491) but I am still waiting on it to arrive. I chose this one for 2 main reasons: (1) thin enough to still put the phone in your pocket while in the case and (2) the headphone jack and usb port are exposed at the top for easy connectivity while protecting your phone (such as in a car, for example).

I've been using the martinsfields film and I must say that I end up having to clean it with lcd cleaner everyday as it shows prints like crazy. One good thing is that it doesn't bubble as long as you clean your phone well enough prior to the application.

Once I get my case I'll let everyone know how well it fits.
The New World Order in Mobile Technology is here...Sony Ericsson!
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-04-29 03:31

On 2010-04-28 21:52:34, saltorio wrote:
Moogoo: On your recommendation I have ordered a Clear-Coat screen protector for my X10. I have faith in the stock protector for resisting scratches, but it's so prone to fingerprints that it really bothers me. So once I receive the Clear-Coat I'll be removing the stock protector and replacing it.

I look forward to a smudge-resistant screen.

I do have a question though: how should I clean my screen before applying the Clear-Coat, or is that part of the purpose of the solution? The instructions posted on their website don't clarify this.

I'm still considering my options for a new leather carry case though. Came across another Roots case for an iPhone that fits the X10 perfectly and has a magnetic flap like the one I currently have (that's a bit too big/loose for my X10).
[ This Message was edited by: saltorio on 2010-04-28 20:58 ]

The factory SP is so perfectly fit that I simply removed it, wiped the screen with a microfiber lens cleaning cloth and it was pretty much perfection and i immediately applied the clearcoat screen protection. if you find you smudged it, i would use lens cleaner and the microfiber to clean your screen before applying the clearcoat.
moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
Oniiko
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2010-04-29 11:01
The InvisibleShield on the screen is much smoother now, finger gestures are still somewhat 'heavy' though, like wading through water lol It's just thick.
Clarity is very good still, although this hasnt been tested or compared side by side with another handset.
Finger prints and smudges - hmmm not sure, I think its good as in they do not show, I havent used to phone without one of these on though. They show if tilted in the light but are not prominent. Easily cleaned off with just a wipe on clothes.
The Shield does reflect the light alot though, I noticed this today... def a bad point.

Over-all I'm reasonably happy I guess, so much so that I will probably leave the Shield on until its quality deminishes and then I will try the Clearcoat I've ordered.
Unless ofcourse after applying the Clearcoat to my girls phone, I decide its far superior, then I will change for the Clearcoat and I will also report back... 4 weeks maybe!

@t68iNWO

I was also considering this case, it is nice and thin and as vids on youtube show it fits very nicely!
Having the top of the phone exposed is a good design feature worth noting when viewing cases.
I may buy one in the future, but for now I've spent far too much on this phone in terms of cases already.
Let us know how you get on with it... I'd like to know how the case holds up with general usage... like how easily scratches show up etc.... not that im hoping you scratch it but im guessing its unavoidable after some usage.
Also how well it holds the phone with that open top... is the phone secure even if turned upside down?
(I have a young brother and sister who just can resist grabbing anything and having a mess... I wouldnt intentially carry the thing upside down)
>500
Vivaz Black
PM
Posted: 2010-04-29 17:10
any one find the accessories for the x10 on the japanese SE site? found them a few weeks ago but cant find them now???

my brother lives in Tokyo, might get him to send me some things over...
saltorio
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-04-29 17:26
Just ordered one of these soft skins for my X10, after reading a review someone posted over on XDA:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayIS[....]em=220588423945#ht_3067wt_1165

I figured for $3.00 (whipping included) I can't really go wrong even if I end up hating it. From the pics the guy on XDA posted, it looks like a decent fit and isn't too thick (may even fit in my current leather case from my old iPAQ). I just wanted something that's provide some basic bump and scratch protection.

I'll let you guys know what I think when it comes in.
Sony Ericsson Xperia X10a | Android 1.6 | Baseband: 1.0.31 | Build: R2BA026 (Root)
>500
Vivaz Black
PM
Posted: 2010-04-29 18:00
some cool covers over at netimes.com...

really like those gel/hard style cases.... dont know what colour to get... might have to get black/red/blue so i can change it here and there

those gel style ones shown in the ebay link above my post, are a mix between silicone/crystal cases, or so they say. used them on my e72.... very durable, but flexible, quite low profile...
silentstorm
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-04-29 19:56
Hi guys, I was reading on Modaco and XDA forums, some users recommending a screen protector by 3M - the Vikuiti DQC-160. I tried to find more info but it's not easy using my phone as I don't have access to a proper computer to be able to do a proper search. If anyone with a computer and some time can look into this and post back, it would be appreciated! Thanks - Peter.

This message was posted from a P990i
Oniiko
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2010-04-30 13:00
@silentstorm

Availability seems to be mostly in the UK...

Ok so here's an ebay seller in Germany shipping worldwide @ just under $12 - cheapest I came accross.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vikuiti-s[....]sesPouches&hash=item2a069a51e8

If you get one please report back on your experiences
Trickois
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-04-30 21:57
Hi Guys,

My Noreve case arrived today and I have to say I am just as impressed with it as I am the X10 itself. Putting the phone into it takes only seconds/as does taking it out. There are just a couple of bits around the "waist" of the X10 that grip it.. Oniiko yes, it does hold the X10 in when upside-down, even if you have the snap and the front open.
The case itself is small enough to be pocket friendly, even for external phone pockets and pouches for rucksack straps, yet has a sturdy enough feel that you'd have confidence putting the in a normal pocket..
Also the cut-outs are so well tailored to the Handset that you don't need to remove it from the case for any aspect of use, just to show off it's own inherent beauty... Seriously though the even with the front flap securely closed with the magnetic clasp, you can access all buttons/ports apart from the power on button. With the flap down, it's comfortable and easy to complete calls with the phone in the case.If you wanted to be hyper-critical you could say that the LED notification light isn't visible when the fron flap protecting the screen is closed?
The only real potential down-side as far as I can see is price as it's not cheap, for UK users Mobile Fun were easily the cheapest I found:
http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/no[....]ericsson-xperia-x10-p24129.htm

Their price of £30.97 + £2.50 postage is less than the manufacturers themselves quote, and using MFCLOTH4 I gota Microfibre cleaning cloth allegedly worth £3.50 albeit advertising their website, so that off-set the postage. Also I only weakened and ordered at about 1 a.m. yesterday and it arrived at 11 this morning...

The case definitley comes highly recommended, especially for ham fisted folk like me whose idea of hell is fiddling with the fitment of screen protectors etc..
end0rphine
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-05-01 13:37
@Trickois

You've just convinced me to buy this case. Kudos. I hope your happy
[ This Message was edited by: end0rphine on 2010-05-01 12:38 ]
Deadmon
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2010-05-01 18:14

On 2010-04-30 21:57:33, Trickois wrote:
If you wanted to be hyper-critical you could say that the LED notification light isn't visible when the fron flap protecting the screen is closed?

I was very convinced to order that case until I read that. Personally for me, that LED light is pretty important since I can tell right away if I have a sms or email waiting without needing to touch the phone.
Trickois
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-05-02 20:31
@end0rphine If your as happy with your case as I am with mine then, I certainly will be delighted, I know it's a bit pricey but to me the X10 just deserves a great case.

@Deadmon Glad the mini-review was of some use, I thought I should try and cover everything. To me the LED isn't really an issue, I use notification tones or vibrating alert, and the fact that the front of the case has no holes just makes it feel all the more solid. However the Noreve logo is more or less in line with the LED, so perhaps someone might suggest this modification to No-reve.

All, 3M are known for very high quality products so I'd say they'd be a safe bet. To me it's just the bubbles and the potential loss of response, I'd rather just keep wiping the screen of fingerprints...Now she's safely tucked up in her case..
t68iNWO
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-05-04 02:20
I received my case today for my x10. I purchased this PDair case: Link text...

Fit:

The x10 fits snug inside. The phone has no movement at all. Holding the case upside-down did not cause the phone to sip out. I think over time the case may stretch out a bit (like all other leather products), but not enough to cause any slips of the phone.

Material:

The leather feels good. I tried to scratch it with my fingernail to see how the case would hold up over time. It is prone to scuff marks but not very visible. Wiping the leather where I scratched removed the scuff mark.

Interior:

I had bad experiences with white phones (like my wife's old z520i) getting black rub marks where the phone touches the interior of the case due to insertions/removal of the phone. I took a damp cloth and rubbed up the inside of the case and no black smudge or marks were seen on the cloth. I think it is safe to say the interior will not rub off on the phone's chassis.

I purchased for $28 USD, free shipping, no tax. It shipped from Hong Kong and arrived in Texas after 2 weeks and 3 days.
[ This Message was edited by: t68iNWO on 2010-05-04 01:21 ]
The New World Order in Mobile Technology is here...Sony Ericsson!
saltorio
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-05-04 16:58
Thanks for the review, t68iNWO. That's the case I'm considering (though the version with the belt clip). Just waiting for my gel skin to arrive first and see how that works out, as I doubt the phone will fit in the PDair case with the skin on.
Sony Ericsson Xperia X10a | Android 1.6 | Baseband: 1.0.31 | Build: R2BA026 (Root)
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2010-05-05 10:18
Review of the Noreve X10 Case.

Link.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi