Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Accessories > Xperia X10 Protection (Cases, Films, etc.

Author Xperia X10 Protection (Cases, Films, etc.
tai020381
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2010-04-20 17:05
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Raceshield. Thinner and smoother than Invisible shield yet provide the same protection.
D.Dark
C702 Speed Black
PM
Posted: 2010-04-21 03:11
I'm not sure about you guys, but I like mine naked
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-04-21 04:47
that's fine... but i want to keep my x10 looking sexy and as careful as you are, accidents happen.
moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
wai_lai416
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-04-21 08:08

On 2010-04-21 04:47:12, moogoo wrote:
that's fine... but i want to keep my x10 looking sexy and as careful as you are, accidents happen.

if i have a choice i like mine naked too ~ but knowing accidents will happen no matter how careful you are ~ i'd like a condom
glorfingal
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-04-21 09:20
have invisibleshield and it really did look rubbish .... so it's off.I left the back cover
one on as I can't see that most of the time and the front currently has a Martin
Fields on it. Given this goes almost to the edge of the front of the handset it does
peel off in the corners !

going to investigate a clearcoat next I think.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-04-21 09:40
@glorfingal - i will let you know how clearcoat works for me once I get it and install it.
moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
glorfingal
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-04-21 11:04
cheers .... it's a little difficult to get hold of in the UK as well
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-04-21 14:08
@glorfingal - it's not possible to order through their website?
moogoo
caff111
Sony Xperia TX
PM
Posted: 2010-04-21 15:50
is clearcoat better than invisible shield??
caff111
Sony Xperia TX
PM
Posted: 2010-04-21 23:34

On 2010-04-21 09:20:51, glorfingal wrote:
have invisibleshield and it really did look rubbish .... so it's off.I left the back cover
one on as I can't see that most of the time and the front currently has a Martin
Fields on it. Given this goes almost to the edge of the front of the handset it does
peel off in the corners !

going to investigate a clearcoat next I think.

so u saying Martin Fields is too big on X10? How's the quality of Martin Fields screen protector? Clear and prevent fingerprints?
Oniiko
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2010-04-23 18:30
Just installed the Invisible Shield.
I would recommend starting with the back just like it suggests to get a lil practice.
It does require patience and is quite sticky.
Wet your fingers with solution alot!!!
Wet surface of phone too (alot)... I know, it scared me to do it too but it helped and you end up doing it anyway.
Despite what it says about being able to monoevre the film around once its laid on the phone, this is not possible.
When removing the film cuts from the card you'll notice sticky on the card side, this is the side to wet.
Whilst making alterations ALWAYS WET your fingers and the film alot
Once it starts to get dry, this happens quickly, it starts to set so fidle in the first few mins and then leave it.
I tried to alter a corner after 5 minutes and it ruined, this may start to peel up now... if it does its my fault.
Getting all air bubbles out is near impossible, applying too much pressure with the card provided can ruin the shield if dry.
The cut of the pieces isnt that great really, infact the piece that goes down the side where camera buttons are wasnt cut properly and the cut around the 'take picture' button was backwards/mirrored so not happy with that.
I had to cut it with scissors. I also cut a bit off the opposite side as it was too long.
The side peices DO NOT cover all of the bevel... the chrome can kind of be covered though.
The cut on the screen piece isnt accurate either, I'd advise getting the bit that semi-circles around the speaker in first and as close as possible as this is the main area that shows.
There are air bubbles all over the phone, we shall see how these are tomorrow along with screen clarity.
I've left the phone under a shirt in the sun just because I read a good report of someone doing this in their car and the shield fused pefectly he said with not single air bubble with the aid of the heat.
The sun here in the UK isnt anything like the sun elsewhre in the world though.

Apologies for the huge amount of text, I just wanted to be as thorough as possible.

I would like to hear about everyone elses experinces with this product and other ones... in particular Moogoo and your clearcoat.
I'm thinking that if this screen looks terrible like the other users, I may keep the back on and try another screen protector.
Anyone know where I can get the original Sony ones from as I think this is a great idea by SE to include one on the phone already... this should be enough protection by itself right?
Oniiko
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2010-04-24 11:35
UPDATE

It's some 15 hours after installing the InvisibleShield over the pre-installed film of the X10.
Air bubbles have reduced a little more but not completely gone.
Reports suggest waiting a week for all bubbles that will dissappear to actually dissappear.

Cosmetically this shield looks ok on the back but air bubbles are still apparent, if it sat flawlessly it would be fine.
The shield is thick and rubbery
On the screen if im honest its not great... again if the fit was flawless it would be ok but its not flawless and there's still bubbles or like lots of small marks that i think is areas of small bubbles, almost looks like a mist.
I'll see how this is after a few days, if it doesnt improve I'll be following another reporter and taking it off.

This doesnt really have anything to do with the protector but my initial enjoyment of the X10 has been somewhat dampened by the hassle and pressure of trying to apply this protector and now by having a phne thats brand new but doesnt not look flawless.

Protection by using the InvisibleShield comes at a definite price, this price is a reduction in the feel of the phone.
IF the clearcoat is 100x thinner than this then it surely has to be a better option.

Come on Moogoo where's that darn clearcoat
caff111
Sony Xperia TX
PM
Posted: 2010-04-24 11:49
should people peel off the pre installed protector on X10 before apply their proper screen protector?
Oniiko
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2010-04-24 11:56
I'm actually thinking now, I'm one of these fussy people that wants everything as good as it can be.
The InvisibleShield may not be for me as its not perfect.
The Phone with no protective skin is perfect.
So mybe a nice leather case is a better option where the phone will stay until I need to use it.
The InvisibleShield is handy if the phone will be carried without an additional case, slipped in to pockets and most of all placed on tables and desks etc
The Shield is great for the back of the phone and will provide enough protection to prevent scratches from placing the phone down on surfaces (apart from the SE logo which goes unprotected)
It's just the screen protection that I think most will report a problem with:

1. For the way it looks
2. For the way it feels

If I had to fit it again I would put enough of the solution on the screen of the phone so that there is a solid layer/pool of it... as far as i can see there is no space for liquid to enter the phone, the clever design keeps the speaker and buttons away from the in-set edge of the screen.
With this pool of liquid sitting on the phone I would lay the film on to the screen carefully starting by setting the top edge down and carefully laying it down at an angle working my way downwards to prevent air bubbles.
It would then hopefully be able to move around with ease for a few seconds as it sits on top of water.
This water will soon be soaked up... so align the shield in position then use a desk lamp to provide some heat.
With the fact that the whole film was applied on top of a layer of liquid, there should be no air bubbles, or they should be easy to roll out.
The liquid will be soaked up and evapourated in no time hopefully leaving a perfect fitting

If anyone tried this please let me know.
If I remove my screen in the future i will attempt to re-apply this way and report back.
Something tells me that no-one will have the balls to use this much liquid on their first attempt but we shall see.

If I am wrong about there being no way liquid can enter the phone from the screen then please someone highlight this.
Oniiko
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2010-04-25 14:46

UPDATE

I removed the shield from my phone to re-apply.
My other responses have been based on my first attempt with this product - which was an unexperienced one.
This product may not be so bad if applied correctly.

Top Tips:

WASH HANDS AND WORK IN DUST FREE ENVIRONMENT
DO NOT BE SHY WITH THE USAGE OF THE SOLUTION
Soak your fingers to prevent finger prints
Apply back first for practice - Back can be applied detached from the phone to prevent water damage.
Use alot of the solution, 2-3 little pools of solution on the device should be fine... enough so that once the film is on it can be moved around... this product is meant to be applied WET.
Play around with it as little as possible.

My second attempt went alot better than the first. If I hadnt ruined the film in my first attempt by manipulating it whilst it was fairly dry I would be alot happier with the end result.
Apart from the dust that is now under my film due to having to re-apply it, I would be happy with the back... the front is still quite thick but with a better instal and fresh film I could live with it.
Once dust touches the inside sticky part of the film its near impossible to get off so be careful!
The device definitely feels protected now.
Visibility is actually better than I thought, but again this all rides on how well you apply it.

I'm getting a replacement now so will fit that when it comes making sure I quadruple clean the device before attempting to apply it, I cant stress enough how important the absence of dust and little hairs is.

For those who have been bothered to read... hopefully you have learnt from my mistakes.
Goodluck!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi