Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Has Satio been a big failure?

Author Has Satio been a big failure?
HxH
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2010-02-20 18:02
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
If Satio's package is another failture, let see about Iphone very simple for hi-end phone and also KM900 Arena from LG this one have praise about package proper for green environment.

P.S.Totally agreed with Nightblade

not much time to play(modify) with mine much but at least I satisfied with it,
except unknown error when I'm playing music that I will have some test with another memory card by next weeks. hope this finally resolve and have fully happiness not mixed-bag like today
SONY x Sexy x Sleek x Solid x Stunner x Stylish : Nozomi/Kagura with Love.
miguel82
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2010-02-20 20:13
@Larry whats the name of the music player? I think i need it too!
larry 68
Satio Red
PM
Posted: 2010-02-20 20:24
Its 360 Ting v1.0 Beta modded by Ravish_919

se80
W995 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-02-20 20:35
If it was that good why has this topic been started:

http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=193488

Plus there's customer reviews all over the intertet from non SE fans who hate it one site docked it a star rating due to how bad it was.

I'm not keeping a phone just because it has a good camera. What's all this about customising it? bit of a "geek" feature. What do we need on phone's practically? MSN? Facebook apps you get them on non smart phones. I have an Ipod touch that's giving me a real experience of the internet, fantastic apps, great sound, top notch build and speed. May even consider a Iphone in the future.

If Satios that good why do I not want to go and play with it and put stuff on it? It's boring, complicated maze menus. Some features I don't use like Word viewers, sat nav, better video have all been on LG's for years. Credit to SE for catching up with the market however Symbian is slow, and build quality is poor. I think usability and build quality are first call on a new phone.

As I say camera is top notch. However I don't have the money to waste on keeping a phone just for a good camera. I don't like the feel of it even as a camera too cheap compared to the C905 days. Satio's upgrade is just everything I don't want.

Apps - got my Ipod
Sound quality - Realistically it's very tin like, poor, lacks good quality. W995 beats it.
Software - Very very slow which makes using the phone hard.
Build - poor as I said.
File Manger is no where near quick enough to find stuff but again SYMBIAN not SE's fault.
Internet - too slow same speed as my W995 but not the upgrade you want when the Iphone is soo good.

Being neutral say you want to know what the phone is good for I say movies and camera. Big screen and good camera. Music quality has been crippled so it's not an all round media phone.

Trying to think how the Satio could have been better. Obviously an alternative type of touch screen which is more responsive, a bit smaller and better materials. They should have done this:

3" inch screen
Keypad
Slider phone
Touch screen on top like Tocco Ultra
Similar size to W995 or C905 maybe a little bigger.
Camera design like N95/C905
16GB in built, 16GB card like Samsung Innov8
DivX support
TV Out
3.5mm jack
Metal case
Black/Silver
Same software as Aino with the update
12.1 MP camera, touch focus, smile detection, auto focus
HD video + Optical zoom
Applications for Word support and PDF viewer
60 Play Now Movies
Cybershot + Walkman player
Video call camera
Wi-fi
Internet radio apps
Stereo speakers
Full flash support
Photoshop application

Touch screen wise they should have gone for a 3"inch mid range model 5MP camera. 8MP pro model 3"5 inch screen with all the features of Satio maybe gave Symbian as bash for those who wanted it.

Now the above should have been the replacement for the C905. I'm sure it would have been a massive hit, all the good specs but keeping the old character.

SloopJohnB
K750
PM
Posted: 2010-02-20 20:38
That picture kinda looks like an ipod ripoff lol, but it's cool..
The only people I see excited by satio are fans, regular people don't know it exists or don't bother because it is too expensive or are more concerned with apps than camera quality.
I think satio is a very cool device, I like it's design, ui and the camera seems awesome, but I like phones... Comercially I think the satio might end up really being a failure.
se80
W995 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-02-20 20:55

On 2010-02-20 20:38:01, SloopJohnB wrote:
That picture kinda looks like an ipod ripoff lol, but it's cool..
The only people I see excited by satio are fans, regular people don't know it exists or don't bother because it is too expensive or are more concerned with apps than camera quality.
I think satio is a very cool device, I like it's design, ui and the camera seems awesome, but I like phones... Comercially I think the satio might end up really being a failure.

Glad somebody agrees.

The UI is Nokia it's symbian so it's basically a N97 dressed up (or should I say tried to) in SE menus. It's just so not SE.

One reason it's also a "niche" is the mega pixel war is over. When you get perfectly good 6MP and 8MP cameras who are they trying to fool with 12MP? I took some pictures and it's just noise..ok the flash is good but you expect that.

I feel if phone companies kept at 8MP and a good flash any phones worth a punt. Initially it's done ok with contracts but let's face it it will vanish like the rest have. It won't end up dropping in price as SE seem to just put lower models in at PAYG. W995 has stuck a round as it's a good all round, bug free phone.

My general view is manufacturers are making a big mistake going for all touch devices. It's shutting off the market and I am disappointed flip phones are gone. The Motorola Razor was an amazing phone. There was potential for a duel screen touch on the front and a large inner keypad display. Plus a rotating camera. An LG at £100 is worth the risk. SE at £400 forget it other than the camera the joe public won't be impressed. When buying anything new technology wise something that's hard to use puts me off.

One last point you buy a phone and have to dig all over the internet for better software or to make it run better and new media players. What does that say about the phone? Out the box it's rubbish who wants to spend hours "making the phone better" I want a phone that's impressive when I buy it and I can enjoy using it. IMHO SE Satio's a "geek" phone with no purpose. Get an Iphone folks for a real revolutionary experience.
[ This Message was edited by: se80 on 2010-02-20 19:57 ]
daviep
Samsung Galaxy S 4
PM
Posted: 2010-02-20 20:56
se80 said-Trying to think how the Satio could have been better. Obviously an alternative type of touch screen which is more responsive, a bit smaller and better materials. They should have done this:

3" inch screen
Keypad
Slider phone
Touch screen on top like Tocco Ultra
Similar size to W995 or C905 maybe a little bigger.
Camera design like N95/C905
16GB in built, 16GB card like Samsung Innov8
DivX support
TV Out
3.5mm jack
Metal case
Black/Silver
Same software as Aino with the update
12.1 MP camera, touch focus, smile detection, auto focus
HD video + Optical zoom
Applications for Word support and PDF viewer
60 Play Now Movies
Cybershot + Walkman player
Video call camera
Wi-fi
Internet radio apps
Stereo speakers
Full flash support
Photoshop application

half the things you say it should have it already has.
seems like you like the iphone,if so why dont you get rid of your satio and buy one and then maybe you will be finally satisfied with your choice.
galaxy note8
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-02-20 20:58
I was eventually put off buying one of these. And after reading what se80 has put down don't think I shall bother. For now anyway I have moved away from phones until they come up with something decent. For now I am happy with my Samsung Jet. The Satio is over priced like many phones. By the way how much is the Pixon 12 sim free out of interest as it's also a 12 mega pixel phone? And from what i seen in Satio photo thread the pictures are either nothing special or the people taking the pictures are crap
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2010-02-20 19:59 ]
Phone?? What phone??
se80
W995 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-02-20 21:05

On 2010-02-20 20:56:36, daviep wrote:
se80 said-Trying to think how the Satio could have been better. Obviously an alternative type of touch screen which is more responsive, a bit smaller and better materials. They should have done this:
dont you get rid of your satio and buy one and then maybe you will be finally satisfied with your choice.

When talking design take a Samsung Innov8 lots of memory, video support + Samsung Tocco Ultra semi touch and keypad and you have a phone.

Satio will never be near the Iphone. SE will already be rusing the next model out. The difference with the Iphone is between now and 2007 what's changed? little. Any future Satio successor needs serious upgrading and ironing out or more so a major redesign!

It's popular with the "geek" people however the general public don't want to know. I say Nokia as if you want Symbain why not go direct to the developer? Atleast the manufacturer has the hardware to run it properly. I have no doubt many Nokia symbians run it more naturally. The Omnia HD was a failure hence why they are back to Touch wiz and a new OS for there HD camera phone.

My assessment of the current market is people want phones with apps, music, ok camera and simple. Ultra Touch and W995 do well due to the keypad. Iphone is the market leader. Many people wanting simple phones go for mid range Nokias now. LG Cookie/Viewty have sold very well. Pixon 12 has not done so well as it's poorly stocked. So at the moment I'll sit back and continue to watch the market however my Satio is for sale and can't wait to get shot of it.
[ This Message was edited by: se80 on 2010-02-20 20:05 ]
se80
W995 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-02-20 21:09

On 2010-02-20 20:58:09, Bonovox wrote:
I was eventually put off buying one of these. And after reading what se80 has put down don't think I shall bother. For now anyway I have moved away from phones until they come up with something decent. For now I am happy with my Samsung Jet. The Satio is over priced like many phones. By the way how much is the Pixon 12 sim free out of interest as it's also a 12 mega pixel phone? And from what i seen in Satio photo thread the pictures are either nothing special or the people taking the pictures are crap
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2010-02-20 19:59 ]

Yep tried Jet in the shop very nice build quality.

They say it's fast how's it for speed? I imagine there's no lagging like Satio. I did a firmware update and no change. Click menu you get a lag, sticks in previous menus, takes a right old tap of the screen before it does much. I heard Pixon 12 has been discontinued don't know why. Seen some new adverts for the Jet. I decided to avoid the Pixon 12 due to it only have a 2GB memory card and it's hard to get a hold of one.

I'm not saying Satio is not for everybody for some it may be. But after that experience *if* I do go for touch screen I'd be more welcoming to Samsung's faster touch wiz phones.
hydro-
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2010-02-20 21:19
Not sure if it has been a failure, In our eyes it might be, because of the bugs and that. But if you look at the Carphone warehouse website its states that it's in the Pay monthly best sellers.
Plus I've seen loads of people with them!
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-02-20 21:24
Se80 yes the jet is speedy has fantastic camera & video support very reliable never freezes or crashes not once. Has very good battery life multi tasks well with zero lag & it's 800x480 screen is stunning AMOLED. It has probably the best camera I have had on a mobile & it's LED flash lights upto 15 foot away easy if you see my photos i took in Samsung picture thread & section. Apps don't bother me I don't use them so not bothered about that on the Jet. Also has great audio through 3.5 jack Here are few pics taken with Jet one is with LED flash in the garden at night when snowing. I have yet to see an LED flash that good The pics for a 5 mega pixel are great easily beats w995 imo who needs 8 or 12 anyway in a phone? Also the browser in the Jet is superb sorry anyway going off topic but that was just for se80
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2010-02-20 20:51 ]
Phone?? What phone??
se80
W995 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-02-20 22:02
Yes the jet does look good. I will be interested to see what the upgrade will be.

I think the Jet's a good alternative to a Satio. OLED screens are better.

Satio has a real lack of quality. The Samsung has a very tough, hard casing to look at not much difference but there's light and day between them. Satio's the worst ever for build quality normally SE's are pretty solid..but for me it's light, too much plastic and it's very cheap. The side strip is a greyish silver with black underneath so cheap.

I am surprised there's not been more talk on the build quality. Seriously compare other handsets and you can see it just does not seem a very firm phone to hold. My initial view of the Pixon 12 was what a small, tidy, hard good balanced phone it was the back case was of the highest quality.

I am amazed Samsung never pushed the Pixon 12 more it's good phone from what I have seen.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-02-20 22:12
Lovely eye candy on the Jet too in menus. I wonder why they discontiued the Pixon 12 need to find out. Another little feature i love on the Jet is recording off radio onto memeory card it's so cool & great quality. For the price I think the Satio is perhaps not what it could have been. I am sorry i still love but until they change there poor phones of late I stand by what i say i have seen quality elsewhere & right now other manufacturers are still racing ahead of
Phone?? What phone??
se80
W995 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-02-20 22:23

On 2010-02-20 22:12:28, Bonovox wrote:
Lovely eye candy on the Jet too in menus. I wonder why they discontiued the Pixon 12 need to find out. Another little feature i love on the Jet is recording off radio onto memeory card it's so cool & great quality. For the price I think the Satio is perhaps not what it could have been. I am sorry i still love but until they change there poor phones of late I stand by what i say i have seen quality elsewhere & right now other manufacturers are still racing ahead of

Don't take my word for it what I read was "Pixon 12 was always meant to be a niche product. It's been withdrawn" I've heard of the odd bug with the phone. Only Phones4U stocked the handset while Carphonewarehouse still do the Pixon 8MP model.

Now what ever happened to the upgrade to the LG Renior? I seen pics it had HD video and everything. Looked fantastic and was 12MP?

Aside the Satio I am very let down with what's for sale in shops at the moment. Too many low, mid range phones and flagships seem to be Iphone, satio or Nokia N97 mini. They are all very different products. I miss the days when my K850i broke down so I got a Samsung G600 and when my C905 broke a W995. Perhaps the recession has hit the companies and the lack of demand?

In terms of upgrades it's stalemate. Very little choice unless you want a web experience, more apps or something. The camera phone market is staggered so little development and "HD" recording is such a niche. Again SE's new mid range HD phone is quite ugly, more Symbian another one for the dustbin.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi