Esato

Forum > General discussions > Product reviews > Sony Ericsson Xperia Pureness Unboxing Pictures & Review

Previous  12
Author Sony Ericsson Xperia Pureness Unboxing Pictures & Review
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2009-12-22 16:45
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@Boinng

Usually, no, make that most of the times I tend to agree with you but recently all you do is just bash SE for the sake of it.

What happened to your good criticism? Fair enough, looks of a particular product won't appeal to everyone but some of the things you write are really silly and unlike you.

Don't get me wrong, I still think SE are screwing up more than any other manufacturer and they are (to me at least) going to be extinct if they carry on like this but this phone is/was intended to be a 'simple' phone that does a basic job of a phone with no frills and thrills and that's exactly what it is.

The transparent screen is a novelty in cellphones no matter how you look at it and this will appeal to some people.

To me, like others, it looks good enough to buy for its simplicity. I may just buy it seeing that I always use one 'dumb' phone plus a 'smart' one and in my engagements I often need a camera-less phone.

It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
mode
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2009-12-22 16:48
Art geniuses usually get posthumous recognition simply because the masses don't understand them in their lifetime. Some who actually do, give them the value they deserve while they are living. I see the same thing happening here. Most who criticize without having the slightest knowledge in design don't even see the values of balance, proportion, contrast, repetition, trend, styling in this device. And furthermore, blatantly disregarding their pioneering effort simply to feed on their lust to condemn. It's an effort nevertheless if you can't see it as a successful one. It has 'exclusivity' written all over it so excuse SE for not tickling your fancy. The 'concierge' concept is groundbreaking if you ask me, A+ on the effort, A on design. I'd buy it in a heartbeat if I had the means for it
[ This Message was edited by: mode on 2009-12-25 05:39 ]
Ericsson EH97, GA628, GF768, A2618s, T29s Sony Ericsson T68i, S700i, P990i, Z558i, W902, W995, X10, Arc S
*Xperia V*White*Black MW600*Sandisk Mobile Ultra 64GB microSDXC*
gregpot2000
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2009-12-22 16:59
Sorry but I really can't see the appeal of this...yet ok its supposed to be a fashion phone etc.

But we are living in 2009, who would really pay £600 for a phone with a black and white screen and extremely basic features?

I have a Satio, and think it's great that I can carry a Music player, Camera, Sat Nav and Internet Browser, And Video player all in my pocket in one box, I paid £400 for my Satio which may sound expensive, but when you consider how it enhances my life, and makes things easier for me it is worth it.
But to spend £600 on a phone that doesnt do any of these things, I cant see why you would want to, It is more suited to buying for my mum or someone for £20, as she would just want basic features, but that price is outrageous.
mode
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2009-12-22 17:09
People still seem to dwell within the mindset that this phone is for everyone. Pffh... It's for filthy rich people and people who can appreciate its aesthetics (translation: NOT YOU)
Ericsson EH97, GA628, GF768, A2618s, T29s Sony Ericsson T68i, S700i, P990i, Z558i, W902, W995, X10, Arc S
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-12-22 17:13

On 2009-12-22 16:45:30, Dups! wrote:
@Boinng

Usually, no, make that most of the times I tend to agree with you but recently all you do is just bash SE for the sake of it.

Honestly, and truthfully, I tell it how it seems to me, no more no less. You're welcome to disagree with me, but if it seems like I'm "bashing" SE it's because they keep on dissapointing me, no other reason than that. The "Pureness" is, IMHO, a misguided attempt at a design statement that just doesn't work, and more importantly does nothing for the brand as a whole - as such it's an expensive distraction from the hard work that SE really needs to do in bringing the rest of its range up to 2010 standards. Look at the delays on the X2, the bodged release of the Satio, the punting of the X10 off into the new year, and then tell me that the "Pureness" was a worthwhile project for SE's design and R&D teams to take on right now...

What happened to your good criticism? Fair enough, looks of a particular product won't appeal to everyone but some of the things you write are really silly and unlike you.

Sure the looks are subjective and I've never implied that my opinion of those looks will be shared by everyone. I do fundamentally disagree with the supposed "concept" of this phone as a talk and text-only device in the year 2009 - I think it's completely underestimating how essential features like media and web browsing are in the here and now, and I don't believe the novelty value of the screen will overcome that. When I say this phone would have done well in 1999, I mean it, because that's where this concept (and screen technology) belongs IMHO.

It's worth noting that the same "exclusive" translucent LCD effect is also utilised by countless tacky calculators and alarm clocks to be found in pound shops everywhere, often to much more readable effect.
[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2009-12-22 16:25 ]
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2009-12-22 17:17
I cannot understand how this costs so much what is so expensive about it except that see through screen. wasting money hardly anyone will buy it & only people with more money than sense
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2009-12-22 16:38 ]
Phone?? What phone??
mode
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2009-12-22 17:28
@Boinng
You're criticizing in ignorance if you're thinking it doesn't support media (particularly video playback) and web browsing. The experience may be modest, but the bare essentials are nevertheless there

@Bonovox
You absolutely nailed it with your last point. You seem to understand the strategy despite claiming that you don't
[ This Message was edited by: mode on 2009-12-22 16:39 ]
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2009-12-22 17:41
Well I do understand what target market its for cos Nokia do the same with 8800 range. But I can't see many people buying this even if they want a basic phone cos its not only expensive for a basic phone but even I think people with money will go for something more flashy that can do more & has a colour screen.
Phone?? What phone??
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-12-22 17:41

On 2009-12-22 17:28:19, mode wrote:
@Boinng
You're criticizing in ignorance if you're thinking it doesn't support media (particularly video playback) and web browsing. The experience may be modest, but the bare essentials are nevertheless there

But in truth it doesn't support them - they're possible, because underneath the "concept" it's just the same old A200 platform in an otherwise unremarkable form factor, but they stink, because the hardware design doesn't really support what the software is trying to do. The "xperiance" is notably poor, second rate, sub-standard by anyone's reckoning. Was that really the intended aim of this £600 phone?

What most irks me about it is the fact that the "concept" and the hardware design are so clearly two different things - not married together at all. Which came first do you think, the idea of a retro-phone that concentrates on talk and text, or the "zany" idea of a translucent display that's not really that readable even for text, let alone media? If it was genuinely about the former, why not go for an e-ink display that really would have been unique, and actually offered a real advantage to the dedicated texter? Did the "concept" demand an LCD display with the reflective backing removed, or was that just the unit price?
mode
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2009-12-22 18:04
@Boinng
It does say in Plemix's review that it plays audio and video, can't be bothered to quote though since i'm too lazy to reply this on my notebook. And I have seen an image of the netfront browser being used on its screen, very cool actually. It's an evening phone obviously. But I do somewhat agree with you that the 'concept' seems to be a bit of an afterthought which had been nagging me subconciously. But at the end of the day I do love what came out of it
[ This Message was edited by: mode on 2009-12-22 17:08 ]
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2009-12-22 18:06
That's how much a concierge costs these days? Could I ring up for fish n chips? :)

This message was posted from a C905
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2009-12-22 18:08
@Boinng

What's your take on Vertu or the Motorola swivel phone (forgot its name) that costs just over £1000?

Other than the materials what is so special about them?

You say the translucent screen has been used in calculators but has it been used in any phone? That's what sets this phone apart from any phone out there and that's what the rich or well off people will be buying into on top of the no fuss, non smartphone A200 os. That is also what SE is aiming at, the exclusivity label attached to this phone.

It may seem fickle but those that buy it will not think so.

I think it looks beautiful, but then, that just me.
It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
mode
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2009-12-22 18:12

On 2009-12-22 18:06:28, goldenface wrote:
That's how much a concierge costs these days? Could I ring up for fish n chips?

This message was posted from a C905

Actually, from what I know, yes you can
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2011-05-19 12:32
Boinng was right; this phone failed as an effective fashion statement.
The design probably would have worked better had it been taller, thinner and wider like a modern smartphone. Considering the lack of features inside, there was no obvious reason for the phone to have such brick-like proportions. The most obvious omission in my view is a touchpad. Those hideous keys look like the remnants of a 1980's Alfa Romeo dashboard and the type face is standard SE font - it should have been a custom font or better still, a user selectable one. This phone really shows no discernible trace of value for its ₤600 price.
Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi