Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > UMTS / 3G > Network Mode 3G lock VS Dual Mode 2G/3G

Previous  1234  Next
Author Network Mode 3G lock VS Dual Mode 2G/3G
exaflare23
Nokia Lumia 510
PM
Posted: 2009-12-23 05:18
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2009-12-23 02:50:00, Cyborg_a0 wrote:
How about using unstable proxy in downloading? The point here is to see the difference between the two.

Also 3120c is an s40 not s60.

I just can't believe those people that are craving for 3g lock.You know flashing and converting a phone is risky right?

They even flash their phone fw from N70 to N70ie just to have the option of UMTS in their phone.

Why do they risk their phone if 3g locking isn't that valuable upon what your saying?

what do u mean not s60?

oh i see you are trying to tell me that only symbian os can lock 3G? and because i used s40 for sample it means i don't get the right results? is that what you mean,

For your information

3G lock and dual mode has nothing to do with the operating system

review all your post here

it seems that you are satified from what have read and believing that they are right without trying or experiencing what have they experienced or done.

if someone read this topic he/she will had the same comment as mine because you always counter my post with other's post or opinion,

what about your own opnion, your own experience?

"You don't need a reason to help people"
-Nokia N82 5.0MP Carl Zeiss Optics
-My|Phone A878 Duo
My C901 Shots flickr
Cyborg_a0
C510 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-12-23 07:06
i just don't want you to conclude only to your 3120c, how about maybe dual mode and 3g locking is better than on s60. Why? As you can see there weren't s40 before that has 3g it's only for now, it was on s60 for many years, and your comparing to a year or two year old s40 that has 3g.

The thing you said is like presumption to me or already concluding knowing that there is no chance that 3g locking has importance
to a phone.

And i would still like to believe why the manufacturer put that stupid 3g lock on phone has a purpose.

You need to be equal right? but why did you take my posts as counter act, why not just say 'ok i'll take note of that and still go further with some experiments if it's true or not' but you didn't, seems like you still want to prove 3g locking has no importance.

This conversation has been go'n so long i already posted all information i gathered and it's up to you now

[ This Message was edited by: Cyborg_a0 on 2009-12-23 06:39 ]
Cyborg_a0
C510 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-12-23 09:04
If you really want my opinion, ok, but of course this only a hypothesis cause you know i don't have 3g but please take this as a consideration.
Assuming that you are in the rooftop and your using n6630, there are two towers or cell sites, one support 3g other support edge, of course your signal is at full bar in your vicinity, a phone usually switching randomly to a tower that you wouldn't notice unless your using ftd. signal depend on the strength of the tower, when the other gets little weaker your phone switches automatically to another tower. If there was rivalry of the tower 3g lock is needed that is the purpose of 3g lock for me of course 3g is better than edge in terms of downloading.
So 3g locking is best for downloading. i hope you like my hypothesis
exaflare23
Nokia Lumia 510
PM
Posted: 2009-12-23 12:23

Based on your post
you said that the dual mode setting is depends on the strength of the tower and then if the other tower gets weak the phone will shift to the other tower and then you said that 3G is much better than edge i agree of that but if the other tower gets weak the signal of that tower will also get weak. A dual mode setting 3G/GSM will pick the strongest signal in that location.

you forgot to tell which tower got weak 3G or edge?
-My|Phone A878 Duo
My C901 Shots flickr
se4evr
W900 black
PM
Posted: 2009-12-23 13:06
I am not sure who is the winner since both parties have their own valid points.lol. Generally speaking, i would prefer the 3g lock when i am nearest the cell site and not moving. But if i am on mobile meaning on a bus i would prefer dual mode.
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2009-12-23 15:07
I never use Dual Mode,its awful. Ive got full 3G/HSDPA and GPRS/EDGE in my area,and if i use Dual Mode while browsing the phone constantly switches between the two,then gets all warm and just a pain to use due to the fluctuating download speeds. So i use GSM lock (GPRS and EDGE) most of the time to browse,download email etc. . .and use 3G lock only when downloading larger files like Music,vids etc. . .and also when tethering.

Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
exaflare23
Nokia Lumia 510
PM
Posted: 2009-12-23 19:20
@GUCCI

thanks for your opinion sir and yes your right gsm/edge for browsing and 3G lock for downloading

im just telling my experienced and noticed in using both settings,at 1st i thought dual mode is better but later on i've noticed they were the same.

almost everyday im conducting an experiment to both settings for downloading speed and stability, i don't know if its a bug or something and don't know either what is the explaination because both setting have the same results and im not using just only phone but diff 3G phones, 3G lock had the same behavior as dual mode even in location that has no 3G it can still be used either browsing or downloading just like what dual mode.

im not telling or forcing you to believe me, you have a phone that can used both settings you can try and find out.
-My|Phone A878 Duo
My C901 Shots flickr
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2009-12-23 23:03
Something i found interesting is that when in 3G lock, while downloading if i get a phone call my 3G connection doesnt pause it carries on as normal,downloads file while im speaking on the phone,but if im in GSM lock, whether im using GPRS/EDGE it will pause while im on a call, only noticed this on my N81, will have to check if the K850 does the same.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Cyborg_a0
C510 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-12-24 00:51
Towers are'nt all the same it depends on what it supports, as in my cp, edge is better than gprs, i need to lock on that tower that support edge to have an edge. Same through with dual mode and 3g lock, in dual mode it may affect on your location to the towers that have or have not support 3g, but if you lock it you will force your phone to locate where is the best tower that have 3g, for your phone to have better downloading speed, unlike dual mode you may experience the fluctuating speed due to your location on towers. i think in your location all tower supports 3g.
exaflare23
Nokia Lumia 510
PM
Posted: 2009-12-24 04:40

On 2009-12-24 00:51:00, Cyborg_a0 wrote:
Towers are'nt all the same it depends on what it supports, as in my cp, edge is better than gprs, i need to lock on that tower that support edge to have an edge. Same through with dual mode and 3g lock, in dual mode it may affect on your location to the towers that have or have not support 3g, but if you lock it you will force your phone to locate where is the best tower that have 3g, for your phone to have better downloading speed, unlike dual mode you may experience the fluctuating speed due to your location on towers. i think in your location all tower supports 3g.

nice explanation but do you have any experience to support your speculation oh i mean explanation?

review your post

but if you lock it you will force your phone to locate where is the best tower that have 3g, for your phone to have better downloading speed, unlike dual mode you may experience the fluctuating speed due to your location on towers
this is obvious for your information mobile phones made to detect a signal in a huge area so obviously if your mobile phone or a dual mode setting can't detect a 3G or have a fluctuating signal that means the tower of that 3G signal is very far away, you said that use 3G lock to locate that 3G signal it seems that you don't have any experience.

"Force your mobile phone" wrong move

a very far 3G tower = weak signal and i don't think your downloading speed will accelarate just like what centur said in page 1 not all areas are covered with 3G even he's not from the same country i think he's right,not because im satisfied in he's post or from what i've read its because i've done it i've conducted an experiment for that and i have experience.
[ This Message was edited by: exaflare23 on 2009-12-24 03:44 ]
-My|Phone A878 Duo
My C901 Shots flickr
Cyborg_a0
C510 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-12-24 05:12
So you really think that the speed won't fluctuate when your phone detect 3g in dual mode, then how do you explain that when someone let me borrowed a 6630 there is a 3g icon and its full bar, and tried downloading the download fluactuates from 6-8kbs then suddenly it boost to 40-50kbs, haven't tried it locked though because he always check what i downloaded, he's asking me download games and mp3. Sorry if i didn't remember this incident, i call it only incident because it's not an experience to me. So if you said i'm wrong about towers then i'm confused what happen to that incident. Im sure it is full bar and also we were in a highland.
exaflare23
Nokia Lumia 510
PM
Posted: 2009-12-24 14:30
i didn't say that in dual mode the speed won't fluctuate, of course it does same as 3G lock.

dual mode will choose the strongest signal in your vicinity, it will lock the strongest signal, of course if 3G is the strongest signal in your location your phone will lock on to that signal unless the signal drops and it will switch to the signal that is strong,ok for example the edge is strongest compare to 3G because 3G gets weaker that time a dual mode will automatically choose edge of course. (i know what you've thinking in this situation) you will switch to 3G lock to force your phone to use 3G signal don't you? but that is not advisable. you know why?
because 3G is weak then if you choose 3G lock you are forcing your phone to use a weak signal. and we all know that a weak signal is prone to disconnection and had a slow connection in terms of downloading and browsing, see the difference and my phone have that setting so can't tell me that is just my speculations.

but since im conducting experiments almost everyday when someone ask me a favor to put opera mini on their phones im always comparing the two settings and not just using one phone,but im using diff kinds of 3G phones both s40 and s60.

And what i've noticed was both settings had the same results, i don't know why and i can't figured it out either or what is the exact explanation.

and heres interesting same as what GUCCI found out but not excatly, even theres no 3G coverage a phone set to 3G lock setting can perform what exactly a dual mode can do, don't ask me how,why it happens im just telling what i've noticed in my experiments and im not forcing everybody to believe me because i know everyone can try it.

and im not that kind of people that fools other people or to make other people jealous to tell a fake story of what my phone can do that, i don't want to counter other people's beliefs but i just want them to do the right thing and the best for their mobile phone.

i think this is conversation enough Its just like a battle between two diff religions that competing who had the real god and who had right teaching.

peace be with you bro cyborg and merry xmas
-My|Phone A878 Duo
My C901 Shots flickr
Cyborg_a0
C510 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-12-24 15:02

On 2009-12-23 15:07:25, GUCCI.011 wrote:
I never use Dual Mode,its awful. Ive got full 3G/HSDPA and GPRS/EDGE in my area,and if i use Dual Mode while browsing the phone constantly switches between the two,then gets all warm and just a pain to use due to the fluctuating download speeds. So i use GSM lock (GPRS and EDGE) most of the time to browse,download email etc. . .and use 3G lock only when downloading larger files like Music,vids etc. . .and also when tethering.

Network Mode 3G lock VS Dual Mode 2G/3G

eheh, ok, peace.
(hehe gling mu sumgot, aus dmi n post cnt ntin d mu b pnsin)

PS
i will add gucci to the list of posters that i read because that is exactly what they say, they don't use dual only 3g lock and gsm lock.

[ This Message was edited by: Cyborg_a0 on 2009-12-24 15:34 ]
goarthur77
C903 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-12-26 17:14
Long live, guys!
kawaii
W595 Blue
PM
Posted: 2010-01-01 02:34