Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > HTC > HTC HD2 discussion and unboxing Pictures

Author HTC HD2 discussion and unboxing Pictures
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-12-03 12:05
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I'm sure this is probably a great phone in many ways, but I think it's going to get forgotten (for now) purely because of WM6.5. With WM7 just around the corner, it feels a bit crazy (to me anyway) to be investing in this - not just the money, but all the time and effort to learn the interface, make things work the way you want, find and tweak all the apps you need - when the whole kit and kaboodle is going to be ditched soon anyway. Developers know all this too, which is why really good, UI optimised apps for phones like the HD2 aren't going to appear in any number until WM7 is out the gate.

Sure, the HD2 may eventually get a free update to WM7. But whenever that is, it's likely to be a long and frustrating wait - and again, just as soon as that new ROM is loaded up, everything you've been messing about with in the meantime is history. Why put yourself through it?

I think HTC's current approach to Winmo is a bit misguided. Sure, with the HD2 (as with previous phones) they've vastly improved the interface of standard Windows Mobile. But at the same time they've made it that bit more difficult for anyone interested in developing for the platform, by creating a phone that's essentially not running either 6.5 or 7 but something of their own concoction. Come WM7, will users still want that level of customisation? Will the WM7 ROM for the HD2 actually ditch some or all of HTC's own interface, or will they still keep that and hide away all the new improvements MS make? Who knows..
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2009-12-07 10:38
I disagree. This is the best WM device on the market and actually, you'd hardly know it was WM if you had never seen WM before as HTC have redevloped so much of the UI.
With WM7 (and HTC commitment for a free upgrade) many months away, people will get alot of use from this device. Its fast with a great screen. There's also more apps available for WM and so far none of my usual apps have failed to work on WM6.5.

Indeed last night I installed the Garmin software and it looks fantastic on the huge screen. In fact the screen size is the same as my dedicated Garmin so I'd have no issue using this in the car.

After the X1 experience I didnt' expect to revisit WM but this HD2 has certainly changed my mind. Its a bit like the iPhone initial experience actually. I had alot of hesitation before getting my first iPhone but after a very short while I couldn't put it down, and that feeling remains. Now I find I can't put the HD2 down and if only it had the content centralisation that iTunes brings I actually wonder what my choice would be moving into the future. Ok, so I'm sure the iphone would still win over but its that close... really!
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2009-12-09 18:41
Christmas on your HD2!
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2009-12-11 18:24
Official HTC camera patch

This update for HTC HD2 delivers clear digital picture quality like never before. Living up to the name of “HD” this phone and its twin LED flash will take beautiful pictures for you to cherish your memories. Displayed in brilliant vibrant colors on its 4.3 inch screen, HTC HD2 camera will delight you.
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-12-11 19:45
Masseur wrote:
I disagree. This is the best WM device on the market and actually, you'd hardly know it was WM if you had never seen WM before as HTC have redevloped so much of the UI.

But that doesn't really alter my point - in fact it kind of is my point. I'm sure HTC have done a bang up job on the UI, I'm sure it's a really nice phone to use. In the long run though, with a phone like this, it becomes less about the UI and more about what you can do with it, and what apps are available, and what support it has generally - and in the case of the HD2, that's all going to be pretty scant. Because this isn't quite a 6.5 phone, it's not yet a WM7 phone (and nobody knows quite what it'll be like as a WM7 phone anyway) - it's just a nice phone that's fallen between two stools and gone off in a jolly but ultimately unrewarding direction of its own.

You have to admit, this doesn't bode well for it's long term future - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/11/vodafone_hd2/

Vodafone has stopped selling HTC's flagship, the HD2, citing problems with reliability and stock. Plus the forthcoming iPhone makes the HD2 redundant.

If I'd just had one off Vodafone on a 2 year contract or something, I'd be seriously wondering what kind of dead end, blind alley I'd been led up.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2009-12-12 09:29
lol, well I guess we'll disagree on the HD2's position, but it is a shame that WM7 is now not due to late in the year

as for Voda, I've been following XDA developers carefully and while a few people do have a few little niggly issues, I've not seen anything that would cause it to be called unreliable. I've certainly had no issues myself other than the known camera issue which has been rectified by the hotfix I posted earlier

I started seeing stories about voda dropping the HD2 because the iphone is coming soon, and only now am I seeing stories about this unreliability. Even googling now shows most stories attributing the coming of the iphone as the "official" reason

it does seem that stock levels are another issue and I even had to pay the full £499 to get mine sim free as only a couple of places had them available when I wanted it
londonlad123
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2009-12-13 16:28
The hd2 is an excellent device as it is right now so anyone buying this phone now will be thinking that right now. As for winmo 7 yeah it's a great shame that it's coming at the end of 2010. I will go as far as saying it won't be anything more than a thorough facelift but by then winmo will be less popular than now because the competition is moving forward at a great pace, especially android. I personally don't believe ms winmo team will get it right even when it arrives late but would like to see otherwise. Htc on the otherhand do a great job but what can they do if two core apps like a web browser and YouTube or google maps don't speak to each other which affects usuability because they're made by three different companies because ms couldn't deliver. As for the hd2 it still manages to be a great phone.
voda_jon
S500 Green
PM
Posted: 2009-12-17 12:11
got one of these couple of days ago from O2 as was going to disconnect and they offered it for free on an 18mthr so happy.

Love the device... screen is amazin and only every now and then do i go head to head with winmo 6.5... everythin else is handled lovely by HTC Sense!

J.
londonlad123
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2009-12-29 20:40
I'm starting to get into this phone, possibly enough to replace the iphone? Almost. Opera 10 beta 2u is excellent, all it's missing is pinch to zoom. The weather feature on the homescreen just doesn't seem to get old. It feels new everytime.

I've only added a few apps so far, the torch app, bsb tweaks and opera 10. All I need now is more appointments on the lockscreen. With bsb tweaks i've changed the 5 mpix camera to 8 mpix, still need to try it.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2009-12-29 20:49
agreed. it does come close and if the marketplace could compete with the app store it would be even closer. Unfortunately the market place seems to be fairly stagnant in the weeks I have had it and I have hardly seen anything new at all, and what there is, is priced way above app store prices

the tweaks available already are incredible... I assume you guys have seen this topic at XDA developers?

initially I was spending alot of time with the HD2 but I'm mostly back on the iPhone again but each time I pick up the HD2 the screen still amazes me.. I still say Apple should stick a bigger screen like this on the iPhone
londonlad123
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2009-12-29 21:42
According to the rumors Apple are going to add a bigger screen supposedly. There aren't many good apps but there are a lot great hacks and tricks. There's a new documents tab coming to the hd2 soon. Office might be good for editing but not too good for viewing. htc are doing a good job of providing regular updates.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2009-12-30 16:01
HTC Confirms that HD2 Gets Windows Mobile 7 on Twitter
voda_jon
S500 Green
PM
Posted: 2009-12-30 17:41
@masseur... yeh windows mobile 7 should be fun once it finally comes out...

I'm having loads of fun with the HD2, more so than i do with the iPhone... i'm loving playing PS1 games full screen and full speed with sound on my phone! And also all my SNES, NES and GB games as well... bought a BGS100 controller which works a treat especially with PS1 emulator.

And now have SPB Shell installed and its like having a new phone all over again lol.

Nothing better than pulling this giant out of my pocket and playing Final Fantasy VII on the bus home!

Which ROMS are u guys running? am using the 1.61 TUR WWE ROM and its great! Installed using the Goldcard method...

J.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2009-12-30 17:50
well, by all accounts it might be 9 months away as they've gone back to the drawing board to ensure WM7 meets all current needs

I'm still using the latest official generic 1.48 ROM and haven't felt the need to update to the turkey/WWE 1.61 as its all running quite nicely.

I'm not much of a game player and must say that I had no idea such a wide range of emulators were available!
lukechris
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-01-05 22:53
Masseur and voda_jon.
This is my first WinMo phone and was just wandering if you could reccomend any good (free or even paid) applications,
Thanksss
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi