Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > HTC > HTC HD2 discussion and unboxing Pictures

Author HTC HD2 discussion and unboxing Pictures
londonlad123
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2009-11-28 15:11
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
That's exactly what it is, it's a top phone but not as eloquent as the iPhone. That eloquence is the subtle features the iPhone has like different defualt apps working together, like pressing a YouTube link in safari will take you to the YouTube player. Hd2 takes you to the website that has no flash player installed which is pointless in opera. Not liking the basic-ness and no pinch to zoom in IE. I can think of a load of little things like that.

For apps, I guess my mindset was that there were plenty of good apps based on the past but that's no longer the case. Especially since now apps are having to be redesigned for finger friendliness.

The weather problem I was having was solved by allow google to collect location info.

Loving the music and fm radio sound quality, a lot more 'warmer' than the iPhones.

I'm curious to find out more about wimno 7. Though htc themselves could do enough to makes it as easy to use as iPhone.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2009-11-28 15:18
agree with your points though they don't totally detract too much from my experience.

wm7 is possibly going to be announced at WMC on 15 Feb in Barcelona, so its not too far away, and if the link I posted earlier in this topic is to believed, HTC will make it available for download for the HD2 soon after.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2009-11-28 15:49
Sorry have 2 habit of forgetting links
Phone?? What phone??
londonlad123
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2009-11-29 13:40
masseur, not tried it but you might not need any other software because the rss reader looks like it has support for podcast download.

As for me wanting more calendar notes on the lock screen, xda have said to others it's not possible because that's the way Microsoft have set it up. I guess I can make do.

hmmm, the iPhone user interface is starting to feel old now.

Windows mobile 7 is due to be announced in feb and released in the summer. Though this phone does deserve it a little earlier for being one of the key phones to keep some interest in winmo going.So could be true.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2009-11-29 18:24
yep, you're right. The RSS app can handle the download of podcasts though its still a bit more clumsy than itunes, and I think its that which will always be a stumbling block for any competitor

a single cilck of the refresh in itunes followed by a single click of the syn button and my iphone is fully up to date each morning with my daily podcasst needs
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2009-11-29 22:07
I'm not sure why more people are not excited about this device but it truly is a great effort by HTC.

WM has always been easily customisable with various registry hacks and I've already added a few myself including enabling 802.11n support and a battery meter that shows more granularity.

But now it seems, a Multitouch API for HTC HD2 Windows Mobile phone has been discovered! so we can look forward to some more exciting new apps as this is developed
SE-Naz
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
PM
Posted: 2009-11-29 22:24
@ masseur

How do you find the size of the HD2 compared to the iPhone...?

How you finding the sound quality for music and battery life...

Cheer
ENJOY
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2009-11-29 22:40
size-wise, its only a few mm wider and taller and its no thicker but the huge screen more than makes up for that
the screen itself is just about as good as the iphone in terms of touch responsiveness though the virtual keyboard is not as accurate as the iphone

sound quality if very good actually, but as might be expected from the 1ghz processor, battery is not as good as the iphone but so far it has not let me down for a days usage... and as anyone that follows me knows, I charge my devices every night because I sync them every night and so I am never looking for endless days of longevity.. and at least the battery is replaceable and at not great expense, so I will probably be getting a spare for my trips back to oz
SE-Naz
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
PM
Posted: 2009-11-29 22:49
Thanks masseur for the info

Cheers
ENJOY
erazer007
X1 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-11-30 22:55
Some high definition live pics

http://www.fonearena.com/blog[....]-definition-photo-gallery.html
Samsung Galaxy S II
Blackberry 9100 Pearl, 9300 Curve
Nokia-N8,N95 8GB, N91, N90, E90
Sony Ericsson-W580, W800, S700, T303, C702
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2009-12-01 19:26
pocketnow have a specific sectoin for HD2 and there's a fair bit of news today with a 3D driver patch being available, new of o2 unlocking their HD2 for customers of good standing and a registry change to remove the button protection while in a call.

I have this site bookmarked now and its been quite informative looking back through previous HD2 articles
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2009-12-02 02:04
spent some more time with the HD2 tonight and still very happy with this, but...

My office uses WPA2 Enterprise for wifi security and though the iPhone supports it quite easily I can't quite figure it out on the HD2. Googling suggests that earlier WM versions had a simple registry tweak to make it work, but that fix doesn't seem to work with WM6.5

has anyone managed to get a WPA2 Enterprise connection working on the HD2?
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2009-12-02 19:27
ok, moving on (he said talking to himself!)

The HD2 has an official ROM update coming soon, but if you can't wait, you can get it from here
londonlad123
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2009-12-02 21:58
ha ha, yeah that's part of being a winmo user, not many people know enough to help! Thanks for the links. I guess the update is only fixing issues and nothing new. Is there a list of what's fixed? Typing an Esato post in landscape mode in Opera is infuriated. The cursor jumps all over the place and so does the view. Also in opera auto capitalisation and auto full stop is not there.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2009-12-03 10:20
I haven't seen a full list of fixes yet but yeah, nothing new as such. Some have said that it fixes some purple tinging in the camera, but I haven't seen that issue myself so can't comment

I have found that the typing experience is a good deal better, and more accurate and smoother and also virtual button presses seem more accurate now too.

I can now log into my youtube account though it doesn't seem to do what I thought it would do, i.e. show me my favourites and other personalisations withing the you tube app, so I've now got to figure out what logging in actually does for me!

btw, in the same way that the new opera mini 5 beta 2 is available, so too it Opera mobile 10 beta 2 available for WM and I do prefer that over the built in Opera 9.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi