Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Visual communication like never before with the Sony Ericsson Satio

Previous  123 ... 252627 ... 127128129  Next
Author Visual communication like never before with the Sony Ericsson Satio
se_dude
Xperia Arc Silver
PM
Posted: 2009-06-16 13:06
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
^^gesture gaming which the satio supports ulike the iphone??

Now please dont tell me its crap just coz the iphone doesnt support it.
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-06-16 13:07

On 2009-06-16 13:06:31, se_dude wrote:
^^gesture gaming which the satio supports ulike the iphone??

Now please dont tell me its crap just coz the iphone doesnt support it.

The iPhone has an accelerometer and now, in the 3G S, a compass. What makes you think it doesn't support gesture gaming?

EDIT - oh, you're talking about this idea of making funny faces at the phone to make it do stuff. Good luck to SE with that.
[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2009-06-16 12:10 ]
synn
M600 white
PM
Posted: 2009-06-16 13:09

On 2009-06-16 12:59:08, Boinng wrote:

The screen stops the Satio from being better than the iPhone. Just think about it. With the iPhone, your thumbs at the corner of the screen can control everything at once - change gear with one thumb while you brake with the other, then accelerate while you swipe a finger across the screen to change your POV - none of that is possible with a resistive, non-multitouch screen. Even taking the few buttons of the Satio into account, they can only be mapped to a handful of fixed functions within a game, and most won't be ergonomically positioned for gaming, whereas the iPhone can have any combination of controls on screen and they're right in front of you.

or how about changing gears with the volume control buttons and tilting the phone forward and backward to accelerate and brake? With a higher resolution screen to look at, incidentally? Ever thought about that?

My opinion, and this is shared by quite a few friends anc collegues who use iPhones AND PSPs is that while the on screen controls are a cool feature, extended sessions are simply not worth it without tactile controls.
se_dude
Xperia Arc Silver
PM
Posted: 2009-06-16 13:10
[b]Gesture gaming/[b] is something that the yari is specialized for. Wii type gaming with your phone. The phone recognizes your movements over the video call camera in front and the player in the phone acts accordingly. Tennis, bowling, etc etc are played that way. Yea. Iphone doesnt. So bunk it.
[ This Message was edited by: se_dude on 2009-06-16 12:11 ]
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-06-16 13:19

On 2009-06-16 13:09:24, synn wrote:
or how about changing gears with the volume control buttons and tilting the phone forward and backward to accelerate and brake? With a higher resolution screen to look at, incidentally? Ever thought about that?

For starters the volume control is fiddly, in an inconvenient place, and designed to be - well - a volume control - not comfortable to use while gaming. As for tilting back and forth, of course the iPhone can do that too - I have a full desktop quality flight simulator on mine where the phone itself is the yoke, and it works very well too - but that doesn't stop me from needing to throttle down the gas while adding some flap at the same time. The Satio's resistive screen would.

My opinion, and this is shared by quite a few friends anc collegues who use iPhones AND PSPs is that while the on screen controls are a cool feature, extended sessions are simply not worth it without tactile controls.

And that may very well stop the iPhone from toppling the PSP or the DS. It doesn't mean to say the iPhone/iPod Touch hasn't already captured a respectable segment of the gaming market for itself, though, or that the less well equipped Satio with it's call and end buttons is likely to challenge it.
[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2009-06-16 12:19 ]
se_dude
Xperia Arc Silver
PM
Posted: 2009-06-16 13:21
Are you actually trying to say that the Iphone will conquer the psp and the psp go industry??

Let GOW III release on the psp, theres this one game which sold the ps2 and will take the ps3 to its limits. I dont see a single game which is revolutionary in the iphone. And yea good luck to SE, not that they need it anyway, especially from you. Let the iphone have any significant growth in sectors outside the US, we will see then.
synn
M600 white
PM
Posted: 2009-06-16 13:23

On 2009-06-16 13:07:43, Boinng wrote:

The iPhone has an accelerometer and now, in the 3G S, a compass. What makes you think it doesn't support gesture gaming?

EDIT - oh, you're talking about this idea of making funny faces at the phone to make it do stuff. Good luck to SE with that.

Because Gesture gaming depends on a forward facing camera. And just like you praise the iPhone's "keypad anywhere feature" the "Funny face" thing is a big hit in Japan. Also, I'm amazed at how you can ridicule and discount something you haven't even seen and tried. Just like how you speculate on the Satio's gaming experience. A higher res screen and a few physical keys always rank higher in MY list of priorities, any day of the week.
[ This Message was edited by: synn on 2009-06-16 12:25 ]
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-06-16 13:25

On 2009-06-16 13:10:48, se_dude wrote:
[b]Gesture gaming/[b] is something that the yari is specialized for. Wii type gaming with your phone. The phone recognizes your movements over the video call camera in front and the player in the phone acts accordingly. Tennis, bowling, etc etc are played that way. Yea. Iphone doesnt. So bunk it.

I'll forget that we're talking about the Satio here, not the Yari, and just ask - how can this work like the Wii? It's a mobile phone with a 3" screen - how do you stand in front of it and bowl, or play tennis, while actually seeing what the hell is going on in the game? If the answer is "plug it into a TV" then that's probably going to be a no from me, sorry.
[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2009-06-16 12:26 ]
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-06-16 13:28

On 2009-06-16 13:21:54, se_dude wrote:
Are you actually trying to say that the Iphone will conquer the psp and the psp go industry??

No. Which is why I said it probably wouldn't
synn
M600 white
PM
Posted: 2009-06-16 13:28

I'll forget that we're talking about the Satio here, not the Yari, and just ask - how can this work like the Wii? It's a mobile phone with a 3" screen - how do you stand in front of it and bowl, or play tennis, while actually seeing what the hell is going on in the game? If the answer is "plug it into a TV" then that's probably going to be a no from me, sorry.
[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2009-06-16 12:26 ]

I'd suggest that you either:

a) Youtube for Yari videos to see how it is done and stop speculating

or

b) Get hold of one when it is released and see for yourself.

Also, there's nothing stopping SE from implementing the feature in the Satio. Yari games are java based and AFAIK, Satio runs Java apps.
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-06-16 13:31

On 2009-06-16 13:23:48, synn wrote:
Because Gesture gaming depends on a forward facing camera.

Yes, fascinating, and does the Satio have it?
se_dude
Xperia Arc Silver
PM
Posted: 2009-06-16 13:32
Well the satio does support gesture gaming. IT was mentioned in a preview. I cant find where, but the satio is supposed to support gesture gaming. And i am pretty sure that people will take it pretty well.A 3.5 inch screen isnt small by any means and what may sound funny to you may be enjoyable to others.
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-06-16 13:33

On 2009-06-16 13:28:33, synn wrote:

I could do that, but I've just been told in this thread that with a Yari I can play gesture games just like you can on a Wii, and play tennis, bowling, etc. Can you or SE-dude not just explain what you mean by that? Is it very difficult to explain?
synn
M600 white
PM
Posted: 2009-06-16 13:40

On 2009-06-16 13:33:43, Boinng wrote:

On 2009-06-16 13:28:33, synn wrote:

I could do that, but I've just been told in this thread that with a Yari I can play gesture games just like you can on a Wii, and play tennis, bowling, etc. Can you or SE-dude not just explain what you mean by that? Is it very difficult to explain?

A picture (Youtube video in this case) is worth a thousand words. Is it very difficult to open another browser tab?

es, fascinating, and does the Satio have it?

the camera? Have you even SEEN the Satio?
[ This Message was edited by: synn on 2009-06-16 12:42 ]
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-06-16 13:42

On 2009-06-16 13:40:14, synn wrote:
A picture (Youtube video in this case) is worth a thousand words.

I'm sure a picture of someone squinting at their tiny mobile while jumping around and playing a forehand would be absolutely priceless...
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 252627 ... 127128129  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic