Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Sound and vision set free with the Sony Ericsson Aino

Previous  123 ... 567 ... 110111112  Next
Author Sound and vision set free with the Sony Ericsson Aino
not_me
W910 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-05-29 12:40
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I don't understand why some here think that limiting the touchscreen functionality is a good move. Okay, there might be people who may not need or like using touch for browsing the normal menus, but that just should be a choice left to the customer and his own preferences. Why they had to absolutely restrict something which could have been included so easily is plain stupid. Also the fact that they put the D-Pad and call-keys underneath the slider is another stupid move, as the only argument speaking for that IMO is the height difference between the slider parts, which for myself (W910 user) at least wouldn't be a problem. Yet on the other hand I can think of many disadvantages, like having to slide open the phone to take calls and not to forget the way they have implemented the key-lock feature so far (I couldn't find an extra lock key). For example if you only want to listen to music, with your phone in your pocket, then use the touch functionality to switch tracks or browse your music library, you would need to slide it open every time you actually wanna use the touchscreen

Anyway it is way to long slided out, I mean it looks a bit weird and what about the balance of the phone in your hand. These things were definitely a bad choice IMHO, they lost me as a customer.

PS: people seeing no keys on the front will automatically presume it is a touchscreen phone, additionally a lot of shops in my country advertise the tec-specs wrong and in the end people will just be pissed if it turns out to be limited in that way.
synn
M600 white
PM
Posted: 2009-05-29 12:42

On 2009-05-29 12:31:48, 10123 wrote:
I think what would completley put me of is the main menu itself wasnt touchscreen, because i wouldnt want to slide my phone up to press menu then click media then slide it back down to use the touch function, same applies to the camera as well.

From what I read, the phone is in media mode when the slider is closed, so touch is enabled by default. Only when you need to use the phone functions do you need to open the slider, and touch switches off at this point.

On 2009-05-29 12:40:27, not_me wrote:
I don't understand why some here think that limiting the touchscreen functionality is a good move.

Actually, this sort of a menu structure has been seen before in Japan and China and isn't too badly received there, IIRC.

Yet on the other hand I can think of many disadvantages, like having to slide open the phone to take calls and not to forget the way they have implemented the key-lock feature so far (I couldn't find an extra lock key).

I'd rather take a 3" screen with a D-pad under the slider than a 2.6" one with the D-pad next to it. Also, as I mentioned before, me (and a lot of slider users) slide the phone out for menu use. Hell, it takes no more effort than opening a flip.

For example if you only want to listen to music, with your phone in your pocket, then use the touch functionality to switch tracks or browse your music library, you would need to slide it open every time you actually wanna use the touchscreen

Dedicated music controls are present on the bluetooth adapter. You don't have to touch the phone at all.

Anyway it is way to long slided out, I mean it looks a bit weird and what about the balance of the phone in your hand. These things were definitely a bad choice IMHO, they lost me as a customer.

Again, its no bigger than a japanese phone, from what I see. Also, how would you know about balance etc. until you actually hold one in your hands? Let's not rush into conclusions, shall we?

PS: people seeing no keys on the front will automatically presume it is a touchscreen phone, additionally a lot of shops in my country advertise the tec-specs wrong and in the end people will just be pissed if it turns out to be limited in that way.

I have absolutely no comments on this.
[ This Message was edited by: synn on 2009-05-29 11:50 ]
not_me
W910 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-05-29 12:43

On 2009-05-29 12:31:48, 10123 wrote:
I think what would completely put me of is the main menu itself wasnt touchscreen, because i wouldnt want to slide my phone up to press menu then click media then slide it back down to use the touch function, same applies to the camera as well.

You know what would be even funnier is that every time, like on other slide phones, when you slide down the key-lock is activated and in the end you can only use the whole phone when slided out
Platia1
Sony Xperia TX
PM
Posted: 2009-05-29 13:06
So, judging by the icons in the Multimedia Menu there is no touch Web Browser

This is incredibly disappointing.

Otherwise, it has some very nice features
mediar
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-05-29 13:10
I think the decision to change the places of the a/A,+ and ,_, is very stupid. It was something unique in SE. The limited the touchscreen functionality is very stupid too. So everytime I want to go somewhere in the menus I have to open the phone. But why??? There is touchscreen for that. Why don't SE use it??? I just can't explain myself.
The best mobile phone brand died with Sony Ericsson's death. Shame on you Sony for killing it! And, of course, for ruining the Xperia brand...
Mediar's Site
se_love
K800 Brown
PM
Posted: 2009-05-29 13:16

On 2009-05-29 13:10:21, mediar wrote:
I think the decision to change the places of the a/A,+ and ,_, is very stupid. It was something unique in SE. The limited the touchscreen functionality is very stupid too. So everytime I want to go somewhere in the menus I have to open the phone. But why??? There is touchscreen for that. Why don't SE use it??? I just can't explain myself.

It has a dual meaning. When you have the phone closed its your "ultimate" media tablet with music videos photos games(picture and video recording is hopefully here as well) with a touchscreen phone but when you open it its your phone for everything from texting to calling to web browsing. Smart move imo.
ramintop
K800 Brown
PM
Posted: 2009-05-29 13:16
I cant believe some people here like synn (hi synn ) are defending SE for such a stupid decision! you have a touchscreen but you cant use it except in the media menu! its a PHONE not an mp3 player!
synn
M600 white
PM
Posted: 2009-05-29 13:20

On 2009-05-29 13:16:33, ramintop wrote:
I cant believe some people here like synn (hi synn ) are defending SE for such a stupid decision! you have a touchscreen but you cant use it except in the media menu! its a PHONE not an mp3 player!

Hi Ramintop : I'm not defending, I'm just not seeing the big deal. I only wanted touch for media and web browsing. Tactile menu navigation is just fine by me.

Yes, it's a PHONE. And PHONES are operated quicker with tactile controls. Touch is ideal for PMPs. And jusdging by what I'm seeing, I'm getting the best of both worlds.

se_love
K800 Brown
PM
Posted: 2009-05-29 13:23

On 2009-05-29 13:20:58, synn wrote:

Hi Ramintop : I'm not defending, I'm just not seeing the big deal. I only wanted touch for media and web browsing. Tactile menu navigation is just fine by me.

Yes, it's a PHONE. And PHONES are operated quicker with tactile controls. Touch is ideal for PMPs. And jusdging by what I'm seeing, I'm getting the best of both worlds.

You are indeed. Tactile button work for phone touch for media and everything about it. I think the lack of a web browser is a bit of a bad move otherwise they made this have 2 faces. A very smart move and a move a lot of companies cannot seem to comprehend as a smart one. You are all just spoiled by technology and cannot see the true power of this.
iqtidar
W800
PM
Posted: 2009-05-29 13:24

that is not right.. u can operate fone faster with touch screen.. u just touch the icon without having to use the damn d-pad to scroll to the icon that u wish to click.
synn
M600 white
PM
Posted: 2009-05-29 13:26

On 2009-05-29 13:24:44, iqtidar wrote:

that is not right.. u can operate fone faster with touch screen.. u just touch the icon without having to use the damn d-pad to scroll to the icon that u wish to click.

Eh, I mentioned before, I always use the numeric shortcuts for menu scrolling. No touch can match that.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2009-05-29 13:32
Hands on.

Aino
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2009-05-29 13:47

On 2009-05-29 13:26:35, synn wrote:

On 2009-05-29 13:24:44, iqtidar wrote:

Eh, I mentioned before, I always use the numeric shortcuts for menu scrolling. No touch can match that.

I beg to differ, its just the same.
mediar
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-05-29 13:55
SE's site says you can make video calls with the main camera.
The best mobile phone brand died with Sony Ericsson's death. Shame on you Sony for killing it! And, of course, for ruining the Xperia brand...
Mediar's Site
se_love
K800 Brown
PM
Posted: 2009-05-29 13:56

On 2009-05-29 13:32:07, goldenface wrote:
Hands on.

Aino

That was perfect! Exaclty how I would imagine it. Touchscreen super wonderful media center and perfect button controlling for phone mode. And its not that big. Perfect for your hand. They did a wonderful job I do not see the need to complain.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 567 ... 110111112  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic