Esato

Forum > General discussions > Rumours > Rumour: Ericsson to let go of Sony Ericsson Joint Venture?

Author Rumour: Ericsson to let go of Sony Ericsson Joint Venture?
nvkid909
W890 Silver
PM
Posted: 2009-03-21 10:11
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
well there you go... it would've been sad, but if they did go seperate ways, i would say ericsson should pair up with motorola, keep the fashion phone thing going (with the usual user friendlyness, good camera, & possibly an indirect link to apple / itunes, like wot moto had with the rokr). it is mostly the fashion element that sells these things, functionality is bonus

actually i can't stop thinking about a "moto-ericsson". or what about the more 'exotic' brands like neonode (are they still going?)
Keiki
T100
PM
Posted: 2009-03-21 10:11
SE Need a smarter portofolio to survive the global recession. Not A Sagem phone with - no copy paste - no multitasking phone - with openwave browser - no themes compability - in their sub $150 product range. Its like commiting suicide in these day
[ This Message was edited by: Keiki on 2009-03-21 09:16 ]
This message was posted from BlackBerry 8900
K.
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-03-21 23:49
I hope they split up, so finally Sony can produce top notch phones which can be labeled as Like.No.Other. I wonder how Ericsson will do tho. Honestly, i do not care about Ericsson nor about the impact will be on the Swedish economy which everybody is talking bout these days. If this split up will damage Swedish economy I think they have more serious problems than that.
QVGA
Nokia Lumia 1020
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-03-23 17:05
The split will only be bad for Ericsson. They went down before too you know.
echo.shane
Xperia X10 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-03-24 03:03

On 2009-03-21 23:49:34, K. wrote:
I hope they split up, so finally Sony can produce top notch phones which can be labeled as Like.No.Other. I wonder how Ericsson will do tho. Honestly, i do not care about Ericsson nor about the impact will be on the Swedish economy which everybody is talking bout these days. If this split up will damage Swedish economy I think they have more serious problems than that.

@k move up yu raws and gwe a wah yah talk bout split up!@#$%^&*
Shane Bygrave - Photographer.Designer.Artist

I Memorable Moments T230, T68i, K310, P1i
I Xperia X10 with 2.3.3
aqualung
P990
PM
Posted: 2009-05-10 07:55
Struggling handset maker needs to get smart - and fast

From the Financial Times :

Struggling handset maker needs to get smart - and fast
Hideki (Dick) Komiyama, president of Sony Ericsson, admits he is in the toughest job he has ever had.

The eight-year joint venture between Japan's Sony and Sweden's Ericsson is running up losses following a steep slide in handset sales - and the situation cannot be blamed solely on the recession.

Mr Komiyama, 66, is grappling with a company that has not kept up with technological developments in the mobile phone business.

In particular, Sony Ericsson has so far failed to develop a smartphone - a mobile that doubles as a mini computer - to compete with Apple's much-hyped iPhone.

Some industry analysts make unfavourable comparisons between Sony Ericsson and Motorola, the deeply troubled US handset maker that has also failed to come up with an alternative to the iPhone. They say both risk financial collapse if they do not come up with popular new mobiles soon.

Mr Komiyama, president of Sony Ericsson since November 2007 and a veteran from Sony with 42 years service, is part-way through a turnround strategy for the handset maker that has been made far more challenging by the global recession.

"If we do not adapt to this new technology or new market environment, we're going to lose," he says at the company's global headquarters in London.

He paints a picture of near-anarchy at Sony Ericsson when he arrived. There was no effective strategy to come up with a smartphone and no profitable plan to sell cheap mobiles in emerging markets.

Instead, the three planning and development units responsible for the company's low, mid and high-priced mobiles had fallen into the trap of competing with each other.

They were effectively developing the same mid-priced mobiles because little or no progress had been made with smartphones for western countries or handsets for emerging markets.

It meant Sony Ericsson was churning out scores of similar looking phones, and the organisation became highly inefficient. Mr Komiyama says it was a "rather serious situation".

To make matters worse, Sony Ericsson's rivals were matching its strength in making so-called feature phones.

Sony Ericsson enjoyed success in 2005 and 2006 by making mobiles with music players and cameras that were marketed with Sony's Walkman and Cybershot brands, but its rivals soon copied these feature phones.

By 2007, and the iPhone's launch, western consumers increasingly chose smartphones over feature phones. Finally, as the downturn took hold, many consumers simply stopped buying new mobiles.

Mr Komiyama's most visible response to Sony Ericsson's deep seated problems is the axe he has taken to the cost base.

He has earned a reputation as an aggressive cost cutter by removing 4,000 jobs - or 30 per cent of the workforce - at Sony Ericsson, as part of a programme that seeks to reduce the company's annual operating expenses by €880m ($1.2bn) by the middle of next year.

He has also centralised decision making, to try to end internal rivalries. But all Mr Komiyama's internal change will be rendered meaningless if Sony Ericsson does not start producing mobiles that sell.

Last year, Sony Ericsson's X1 smartphone failed to capture the public's imagination, and Mr Komiyama now says it was "a kind of experiment".

Sony Ericsson is hoping to begin selling at least two new smartphones by the end of this year, and a third early in 2010, and they could well be make or break for the company.

These smartphones will use operating systems developed by other companies - Nokia's Symbian, Google's Android and Microsoft's Windows Mobile - and the reliance on third-party technology highlights Sony Ericsson's shortcomings.

It underlines how it has abandoned efforts to develop a graphic interface for smartphones based on software from UIQ, a Swedish technology company bought by Sony Ericsson in 2006. Mr Komiyama describes UIQ as a "bad bet".

Some analysts fear Sony Ericsson is spreading its efforts too thinly, and raising its costs, by using three different operating systems for smartphones.

Mr Komiyama says the company may decide to use less than three, but is confident that customers "will be pleased" with the new smartphones.

He expresses interest in Sony Ericsson carving out a niche for itself based on Sony's strength in gaming. He says a PlayStation mobile, building on the Walkman and Cybershot phones, "could happen".

While admitting his role at Sony Ericsson has proved his toughest job, and that it can be a "pain in the ass sometimes", he says he is enjoying himself. But he acknowledges the scale of the turnround task when he adds: "And if I lose, what the hell?"

gola
W900 white
PM
Posted: 2009-05-10 10:24
That's some rather good news, them admitting their mistakes openly. Atleast he didn't directly say that SE might split
[ This Message was edited by: gola on 2009-05-10 09:25 ]
"Getting wisdom is the wisest thing you can do!"
Proverbs 4: 7
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-05-11 04:00
Everyone wants a Playstation mobile and I'm sure it will sell but will it kill off the PSP? The iPhone is pretty good for games but the amazing thing is that non-gamers like me are downloading games on our iPhones because they are either cheap or free so we can indulge ourselves with some novelty value for not much cost. You wouldn't catch me buying PSP games at their NZ cost of $80+. If a Playstation phone comes out it'll need to have cheap and free games to gain market share from iPhone and that will definately hurt PSP. Is Sony ready to let that happen? Would PSP go upmarket and become a mini netbook competitor like the Apple netbook/tablet rumours perhaps?
prototype_bo
T650 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-06-05 10:03
plain and simple:
Sony will not take chances with PSP branded phone made by the JV.
they know for sure, that the result is going to be like: a normal phone with mediocre tech specs, that plays mediocre J2ME core games. with branding overkill!!!

i see a logo change somewhere. lips sealed
se_dude
Xperia Arc Silver
PM
Posted: 2009-06-05 11:19
The psp go and the new SE multimedia phones use the same software to transfer media. Media go. PSP will use it to transfer games as well. Aino is a solid step towards the psp and hopefully it will improve as we move on.
vincor
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2010-03-17 04:09
I seriously support the spitting of this two company.

Seems too much internal rivals in between them that obstruct their progess.

Shyts happen when the two unable to fully merge into one company. There are many things sony refuse to allow sony ericsson to participate in. Example is their PSP/PS feature which will be a challenge to the current phone market where most phone neglected it.

Most phones might have been able to catch up with all this feature since it's kind of common for camera,walkman and multi feature purpose excluding games.

Currently only Sony , microsoft and nitendo are the major game console makers. The rest might be able to catch up but it will certainly take quite sometime unless they accquire help from ms or nitendo.

Gaming has been a major hobby currently and having a psp phone will indeed kill sometime off during a heavy traffic jam.

It also saves the trouble of having a phone and a psp. Economy isnt that good these days and having two means ur gonna double ur watch instead of having one.

SE has indeed been making many multifeature dream phones which most phones are not capable of in the past. But the fast pace of technology catching up currently is unimaginable. Instead of strongly focus on how to boost the camera and what OS to stick to, y not take their strongest card to put into play. Gaming is their last bet and i see sony is holding it up.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi