Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Technical > C905 Video Formats

Previous  123  Next
Author C905 Video Formats
oli_p
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2009-01-13 13:51
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
slightly good news, m3 will work when network cable is unplugged.
Downside is i used exactly the setting you gave me for an avi file and a 3gp file and still get file type not supported when trying to copy it across to the phone folder . Copied it across in mass storage mode but doesnt show up in the videos folder on the phone itself.
oli_p
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2009-01-13 23:03
is there a chance that i could have a faulty phone??
Also noticed that it wont let me go on the internet or recieve mms files even though ive manually entered the settings for both
oli_p
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2009-01-13 23:22
Could someone that has successfully converted a video file and owns a c905 possibly host the video on a download link some how so i can download there converted file and try and put it on my phone??
At least this way i may be able to tell if i have a fault phone if it works for others but not me?
yea g
C905 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-01-14 09:57
Ok uhh heres Christmas Special #2 of Yu Gi Oh!: the abridged series:
http://media-convert.com/convert/?xid=17-tptlhnau
Works on mine! (Link expires 24hours after this post was made)
oli_p
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2009-01-14 14:09
want to thank yea g and hansen for hosting a video for me downloaded both and phone still says no to both . how do you guys transfer it to your phones??
I do it through phone mode and just open up the phone in My computer and drag and drop the files.
But as i said still no luck which makes me think phone maybe faulty ??
As i said ive also manually entered mms and internet setup and neither of those work either
hansen
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-01-14 14:44
You're welcome. It's starting to look strange that no files seem to work. I always connect my phone to PC in mass storage mode and drop the files in the video folder of the memstick. Have you tried "update media" ("settings" at the bottom of the media player) after disconnecting the phone? Shouldn't really be necessary though.
oli_p
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2009-01-14 16:15
right have copied across both of your videos files in mass storage did update media videos folder was recalculating but still only shows the SE preinstalled videos
hansen
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-01-14 17:05
You stated earlier that you received the message "file type not supported" when transferring files. Does it still occur?

Are the files also not visible when locating the memstick's video folder via the file manager of the phone?

Have you tried transferring from PC to phone using SE PC Suite instead?

What firmware are you running?
oli_p
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2009-01-14 18:47
Right some progress has been made. yes still comes up with the error when drag and dropping from folder to phone itself.
BUT can locate files and play them through the phones file manager which is strange??
Firmware version is R1BA038, believe thats the correct firmware version anyway??
hansen
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-01-14 19:14
Let me start by correcting myself. I use File transfer mode when connecting the phone, nothing else.

Tried it now and dropping a .doc file results in "file type not supported" message, but giving the same file a .mp4 suffix instead makes the phone accept the transfer. So every file with a .mp4 ending should be possible to add to the phones/memsticks video folder! It seems to me your error messages while transferring should not occur...

The latest firmware is R1BA042. Try updating your phone. If you use FOTA you don't have to worry about backing up data beforehand. (Main menu->Settings->General->Update service)

Try to have a 3,5G connection while updating, my experience is that FOTA times out after one minute and cancels the download if it has not been completed within this time. This won't harm your phone though, it only cancels the download before the actual update has started.
oli_p
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2009-01-14 19:20
hmmm still weird then. i would update that way but im also having trouble connecting the to internet via my phone aswell so can't update through the phone itself .
Have tried using the update service and that told me i had the latest firmware installed :S
yea g
C905 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-01-14 22:22
If your wondering, I transfer videos to my phone via wifi network sharing.
oli_p
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2009-01-14 23:04
dont have wifi here, still use the good old cable for my home network lol.
Cheers for letting me know though bud
mistamatrix
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-01-15 15:37

On 2009-01-12 21:44:18, hansen wrote:
M3 is an excellent application and the preferred one when converting videos, i think. Nowadays it takes an initial extra step to get it up and running though. Since M3 when initialized always tries to connect to a certain website that is no longer in use, it crashes/shuts down. You have to enter your firewall and manually block M3 from connecting to the internet. This will solve the problem.

As to settings for conversion, use these for C905 and M3:
-phone model: ipodH264
-audio: LC-AAC, VBR 96 kbps
-video: x264 MPEG-4 AVC baseline codec, 336 kbps, 30 fps (resolution is of course 320x240 and I also choose crop 16:9 to 4:3 and sharpen 5%)

Converting .avi movies using these settings will yield excellent results on the C905.

Thank you so much for you post, this simple answer has been eluding me for months now. I am glad to say I've had great results too.
I am using v0.0898 I found somewhere, I had to use my software fireware to permanently block access to the net to stop it from crashing. Now it works perfectly.

I tried a few test runs, for size and quality, and quite frankly I can say that the settings that work best for me are:

-phone model: ipodH264 with the automatic 'smaller filesize' setting...
-video: x264 MPEG-4 AVC baseline codec, 250 kbps, 25 fps
-resolution: 320x240
(I chose to add letterbox to 16:9 to fit to 4:3, I tried this on various sized inputs with perfect results, the c905 screen is just big enough and definitely bright enough for a watchable picture.)
-audio: LC-AAC, VBR 64 kbps

I've checked a couple of results (animation/movie) against a 'high quality' 400kbps, 30fps conversion and until you make the movie 4 x the size on quicktime playback you dont see ANY difference, in fact there's not much between them at this size. I'm not so sure about the sound, 48khz stereo @ 64kbps seems terribly low to me, I will output through my headphones and check the results later, if they are bad then a few extra MB for good audio is not a problem.
m3 is a very very clean program, and it works perfectly with the right settings.

24m = 55MB
30m = 67MB
90m = 207MB

Healthy results I am convinced are close to perfect.

hansen, thanks again for clearing this up
k750i=>k810i=>c905=>c905=>c905=>c905=>c905
oli_p
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2009-01-16 16:01
just want to say a quick thankyou too everyone that has taken there time to help me out with my problem, ive noticed that if i copy all the files across through media transfer they will appear normally in the media folder thanks all
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi