Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Windows Mobile > Xperia Or Touch HD

Author Xperia Or Touch HD
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-05-15 11:32
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Doministry, you just keep repeating the phrase "advanced functionality" if it makes you happy. Let me know when you've figured out what you actually mean by that, and which "advanced functionality" you use on a regular basis...
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-05-15 12:04

On 2009-05-15 11:32:54, Boinng wrote:
Doministry, you just keep repeating the phrase "advanced functionality" if it makes you happy. Let me know when you've figured out what you actually mean by that, and which "advanced functionality" you use on a regular basis...

You really have no clue?

Man, you start to be funny big time.

Just to name FEW things, quickly out of my head:

full html email with html reply ability
zip/unziping files
advanced taking photo configuration
professional photo/picture editing
professional, full office support
flash support on browser
many browsers available
advanced files management
video recording 30fps
advanced bluetooth settings
deep device configuration abilities
extremely configurable calendars
ability to go deep in the system, modifying files
huge amount of available UIs
tweakability
multitasking and task management.

Other users can add another hundreds of aspects.
Boinng, sorry, I slowly start to see you have no clue what you talk about.....
[ This Message was edited by: doministry on 2009-05-15 11:14 ]
a w a r e
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-05-15 12:33
Doministry, you're unravelling. There's not a single thing in that list which isn't available on other platforms in some form or another, and several things there which are massively overstated - even your very first example is rubbish. WM does not support full HTML email with all the proper formatting, whereas ironically your dreaded foe the iPhone does.

"Advanced photo configuration" - pathetic, and not a function of WM at all, just something that varies from manufacturer to manufacturer regardless of the OS.

"Professional photo/picture editing" - clearly the words of someone who's never seen the many genuinely impressive photo apps available on other platforms.

"advanced files management, deep device configuration abilities, ability to go deep in the system, modifying files, tweakability" - you're aware that each of those is basically the same point, desperately repeated five times? People defending WM always try and push "tweakability" as if its a unique feature of the OS, but of course there are people out there busilly tweaking every OS, with software (and jailbreaking) anything's possible. The only real difference is that in WM this kind of tweaking is a necessity for far more users, so it's a much higher profile activity.

"zip/unzipping files, professional full office support" - again, you need to realise the difference between an OS and its applications. These are not unique to WM.

"video recording 30fps" - another manufacturer, not OS-dependent feature available on many S60 and other phones - nothing to do with Windows Mobile as an OS (in fact the vast majority of WM phones have pretty terrible video recording).

Now if you'd said "the most fully integrated Exchange support available in a mobile OS" I'd have given you a couple of points, but as you've little understanding of your own OS, let alone any others, you actually missed that one.
[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2009-05-15 12:10 ]
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-05-15 14:57

On 2009-05-15 12:33:10, Boinng wrote:
Doministry, you're unravelling. There's not a single thing in that list which isn't available on other platforms in some form or another, and several things there which are massively overstated - even your very first example is rubbish. WM does not support full HTML email with all the proper formatting, whereas ironically your dreaded foe the iPhone does.

"Advanced photo configuration" - pathetic, and not a function of WM at all, just something that varies from manufacturer to manufacturer regardless of the OS.

"Professional photo/picture editing" - clearly the words of someone who's never seen the many genuinely impressive photo apps available on other platforms.

"advanced files management, deep device configuration abilities, ability to go deep in the system, modifying files, tweakability" - you're aware that each of those is basically the same point, desperately repeated five times? People defending WM always try and push "tweakability" as if its a unique feature of the OS, but of course there are people out there busilly tweaking every OS, with software (and jailbreaking) anything's possible. The only real difference is that in WM this kind of tweaking is a necessity for far more users, so it's a much higher profile activity.

"zip/unzipping files, professional full office support" - again, you need to realise the difference between an OS and its applications. These are not unique to WM.

"video recording 30fps" - another manufacturer, not OS-dependent feature available on many S60 and other phones - nothing to do with Windows Mobile as an OS (in fact the vast majority of WM phones have pretty terrible video recording).

Now if you'd said "the most fully integrated Exchange support available in a mobile OS" I'd have given you a couple of points, but as you've little understanding of your own OS, let alone any others, you actually missed that one.
[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2009-05-15 12:10 ]

Boinng, you again miss the point.
My post which you refer to, was about a GENERAL term of "advanced" functionality of a device, since you were trying to state that there's no such.
I was not implying that those above things refer ONLY to WM - I'd have to be an idiot to state that, especially when I was using other platform for a loong time before I was kinda pressed to switch and choosed WM.

BTW you cautiously did not refer to some other features I mentioned, but it does not matter....

And - WM tweakability is not "necessity" - it's POSSIBILITY, which is just used by users. Unmatched on other platforms.. That's the human nature - if we can, we will do.... Saying "other platforms are tweaked too" is almost empty word... Means nothing really.
I could say opposite: an argument I've heard so many times from Mac/Apple users: "we don't tweak 'cos all is fine and ready, I don't care my company won't let me...."

I use in "advanced" way WM device without any registry tweak and don't feel any necessity to do it.

I think Boinng you - as you claim iPhone user? - have just fun to make an effort to find any reason why WM is "so baaad..." and fcuk what people say about it......
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-05-15 15:10
Doministry, repeatedly in this thread you've used the phrase "advanced functionality" as a selling point for WM. My reply at the top of this page was specifically in reference to your comment that:

P.S. Even recently simple research showed that as WM tends to inspire advanced functionality, products like iPhone rather inspire fun and play.

Earlier you stated outright -

WM offers the most advanced functionality available on smartphones

Yet when I ask you what "advanced functionality" means, you reel of a comical list of "advanced" and "professional" features that are either common to many phones or platforms, have nothing to do with WM, or are just plain daft. Apparently now it was just a "general" list and you weren't talking about WM anyway honest, so erm.. what was your point?

Why drone on about "advanced functionality" in WM if you accept that same functionality is present on other platforms? Can it still be called "advanced" if its equalled or bettered elsewhere?

I haven't "claimed" to be an iPhone user, you know I'm an iPhone user. I'm also a WM user, and still own and use a WM device even now.
[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2009-05-15 14:22 ]
koto
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2009-05-15 15:34
I choosed xperia over iphone because of:

1. Stereo bluetooth (A2DP)
I have a lot of business audio books from audible and walking with wires around me is not acceptable.

2. qwerty

Writting a lot on my phone is the single most used feature in my usage patern. Without possibility to writte fast and convinient I am lost. Xperia qwerty is perfect for me.

3. Office apps
Without it I don't have too much to do with a phone

4. Multitasking

As I use my phone as small laptop I need multitasking. For example I am most of the time skype and messanger online, using word or email, opera is running, etc.

5. Small enough to fit my pocket, like regular-dumb phone

Besides those must have things I think that Iphone is much better out of box, with better more stable OS and touch screen functionality.
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-05-15 15:50

On 2009-05-15 15:10:27, Boinng wrote:
Doministry, repeatedly in this thread you've used the phrase "advanced functionality" as a selling point for WM. My reply at the top of this page was specifically in reference to your comment that:

P.S. Even recently simple research showed that as WM tends to inspire advanced functionality, products like iPhone rather inspire fun and play.

Earlier you stated outright -

WM offers the most advanced functionality available on smartphones

Yet when I ask you what "advanced functionality" means, you reel of a comical list of "advanced" and "professional" features that are either common to many phones or platforms, have nothing to do with WM, or are just plain daft. Apparently now it was just a "general" list and you weren't talking about WM anyway honest, so erm.. what was your point?

Why drone on about "advanced functionality" in WM if you accept that same functionality is present on other platforms? Can it still be called "advanced" if its equalled or bettered elsewhere?

I haven't "claimed" to be an iPhone user, you know I'm an iPhone user. I'm also a WM user, and still own and use a WM device even now.
[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2009-05-15 14:22 ]

Man you're lost a bit....
I was naming examples of the advanced smartphones features,
compared - for example - to dumb phones. As I said - refering to your doubt there is any existing "advanced" functionality.

WM is another story.
Yes, it is still the most advanced platform considering functionality/available software/tweakability/form factors/touch screen/etc..

Because "in general" most of features are available on other platfroms.
Even on old UIQ.
But as they say - the devil is in details.
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-05-15 16:01

On 2009-05-15 15:50:36, doministry wrote:
I was naming examples of the advanced smartphones features,
compared - for example - to dumb phones. As I said - refering to your doubt there is any existing "advanced" functionality.

Nobody in this thread is talking about dumbphones, are they? So why would you think that anyone in a thread devoted to two WM smartphones and other smartphone platforms in general would need reminding what features a "general" smartphone has?

If you genuinely thought I was claiming not to know what a smartphone was capable of, then it's certainly not me that's "lost".

WM is another story.
Yes, it is still the most advanced platform considering functionality/available software/tweakability/form factors/touch screen/etc..

And those are still the same vague claims you've been making all along, without any real substantiation.
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-05-15 16:06
Yes I have stated, in here or another thread, that it is getting pointless to compare the feature list of smartphones because they all pretty much can do the same things in one form or another. In the near future, the distinguishing characteristic between smartphones will be their ecosystem and user-experience. With the overwhelming popularity of both of the fruit phones, more likely than not, they are going to have the most software innovation even if their hardware is not cutting edge.
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-05-15 16:36
@whybe, agreed. I actually think it's quite probable that WM7 will be a really great OS, the problem is it's coming way too late, and the WM eco-system has already been stagnating and ebbing away for a couple of years already. The all important developers, who created many of the apps that made WM (and Pocket PC) relevant in the first place, have long since signed up to support other platforms.

The importance of the app store (and I may as well use that Appstore as the prime example) can't be overstated. People are buying iPhone apps in their millions not only because they're great apps, but also because it's so very easy. That's not just about the Appstore itself being easy to use and placed right there on the phone, but also about the economics. By "locking in" consumers and app developers to one store (jailbreakers excepted) they've created a single market place with massive economies of scale that make it brilliant value for both developers and consumers alike. That's something that both Microsoft and Symbian will really struggle to replicate in their planned stores since their platforms have been "open" for so long already.

The more attractive the eco-system is to developers, the more and greater "advanced functionality" you breed, the more consumers you attract, the more lucrative it gets for those developers, and so on it goes in a big circle. This is the sort of critical mass that WM has failed to generate for many years already even before there was significant competition.
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2009-05-15 23:09
oh boy. . . .
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-05-16 11:33
To WM's advantage, it doesn't have a small footprint on the marketplace. So developers may be flocking to iPhone, but they are not leaving WM.

Just as iPhone has Appstore and iTunes in it's ecosystem, WM has Windows and Office (and lot's of other nifty technologies like Tell Me). If there was ever a WM phone that was intuitive and smooth running AND totally integrated MS's strengths (like Apple did with iPod, iTunes and iPhone), then game would be over for the rest of the industry. I'm thinking MS is headed in this direction with WM7. Believe it or not, because of it's global footprint, MS has the best POTENTIAL ecosystem advantage. They just haven't exploited it properly thus far.
[ This Message was edited by: WhyBe on 2009-05-16 10:41 ]
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-05-16 14:33

On 2009-05-16 11:33:01, WhyBe wrote:
To WM's advantage, it doesn't have a small footprint on the marketplace. So developers may be flocking to iPhone, but they are not leaving WM.

Just as iPhone has Appstore and iTunes in it's ecosystem, WM has Windows and Office (and lot's of other nifty technologies like Tell Me). If there was ever a WM phone that was intuitive and smooth running AND totally integrated MS's strengths (like Apple did with iPod, iTunes and iPhone), then game would be over for the rest of the industry. I'm thinking MS is headed in this direction with WM7. Believe it or not, because of it's global footprint, MS has the best POTENTIAL ecosystem advantage. They just haven't exploited it properly thus far.
[ This Message was edited by: WhyBe on 2009-05-16 10:41 ]

Exactly. What they miss - from the marketing/selling point - is the sweet, flashy and a bit "dumbed" UI. Which I personally don't miss.

I just really hope they'll retain all those functinal and WM special elements.

As I wrote, Windows 7 seems to be a great step and I hear this from professionals - people who work on their computers, not just browse.
I hope for the same for WM7...
alexslane
Xperia Play Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-05-17 23:03
Hey guys , just ordered my touch hd, cant wait to get on the window wagon, it aint my first but jesus i did miss touch flow indeed.
Bronze trusted Trader ! <br />HTC Wildfire S
fatirido
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2009-05-17 23:13
:-B
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi