Esato

Forum > General discussions > Rumours > 12 megapixel Sony Ericsson Kokura on its way?

Previous  123 ... 131415
Author 12 megapixel Sony Ericsson Kokura on its way?
mario2004
J200
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-04-07 16:38
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
The OS is all Symbian s60v5.1. If all goes well it should be ready just in time. I know S60v5 pretty well by now. I am a s60 user since 2002 v5 flavour has some nice 'innovations' (especially regarding the data input). The 5.1 should 'polish' on that even more. However I fail to see UIQ anywhere. (unless you believe the mere touch screen idea is UIQ's contribution ) Now that SE is coming 'my way', I might end up buying one. I hope more SE fans embrace the s60 OS, and in so doing, will realise the cell manufacturer is not important. With the s60 fans (and there are many more then SE ones), system functionality and stability rules ! If SE doesn't play the game right, will get the booth before entering the club With such a wide choice of devices and manufacturers, a blunder 'a la' k850i, will mean 'Aufwiedersehen' SE
'Better govern our selfs the wrong way, then be governed by 'others' the right way.'
- Robert Mugabe - Freedom fighter comarade, peoples hero and President of Zimbabwe.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2009-04-07 17:35
You mean you choose not to see UIQ anywhere - next you'll be telling us its made by Nokia.

Let's see, who shall we believe: Sony Ericsson's german product manager Steffen Grosch or some old windbag called mario2004.
[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2009-04-07 20:18 ]
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-04-07 17:42
November (and you just know it will be November) seems like a very long way away. I just don't see this still generating any excitement by then, it really feels like the X1 all over again. What happened to all those other Xperia models we were promised by the way? Where do Xperia and Entertainment Unlimited fit together? It all just feels a bit disjointed and haltingly slow for a company which must surely be in its make or break year.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2009-04-07 18:23
I think quite a lot of anticipation has been generated already.

I never thought there would be a market for even more megapixels after 5.0MP cameraphones but look at the C905 - No1 seller in the UK and this is despite its horrendous initial quality issues. Its seems people can't get enough of the megapixels.

The Entertainment Unlimited brand has not been applied to anything we can buy yet so the marketing hasn't really begun - who knows? There might be 2 or more devices announced at the same time as Idou.

They'd just better sort out the quality at launch.
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2009-04-07 20:08

On 2009-04-07 17:35:00, goldenface wrote:
You mean you choose not to see UIQ anywhere - next you'll be telling us its made my Nokia.

Let's see, who shall we believe: Sony Ericsson's german product manager Steffen Grosch or some old windbag called mario2004.

Lol
mario, you never cease to amaze me. Have you ever used a UIQ handset? I have tried an S60 one and it really isn't appealing, particularly if you have tried UIQ. Your only option is to force yourself to like/love S60. UIQ is much more than just touchscreen. Try one and then we can discuss it against S60 thoroughly.
It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
Arne Anka
Sony Xperia P
PM
Posted: 2009-04-07 23:16

On 2009-04-07 17:35:00, goldenface wrote:

To be fair, it wasn't Steffen Grosch that mentioned S60 and UIQ in same sentence in my quote. It was just a remark from the author of the article.

Whether that statement is right or wrong, I don't know.
[ This Message was edited by: Arne Anka on 2009-04-08 00:58 ]
mario2004
J200
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-04-17 11:59
@Golden, I sort of expected that reply from you. Now, read my post again, and once more if necessary. Nowhere did I say UIQ is/was not nice ! ! ! As a matter of fact I have 'played' with it a bit and believe it or not, I did find it quite nice ! However, I repeat once more, I don't see much UIQ in the S60 touch. Actually I expected more input from SE regarding the 'new' Symbian OS. I believe, SE joined 'the party' on a lighter note (may be a bit late) and did not have the opportunity/time to put their mark on the new OS. I am sure (indeed I hope), in future Symbian versions, UIQ will 'show its head' a bit more.
@Arne hey bud, you are supposed to fight with me not tell the truth ! ! ! Is me Mario Anyway, should you ever come to South Africa (Fifa world cup next year maybe), remind me to get you a bier, (should we meet each other) In reality I am quite a bit 'different' then in here
'Better govern our selfs the wrong way, then be governed by 'others' the right way.'
- Robert Mugabe - Freedom fighter comarade, peoples hero and President of Zimbabwe.
Arne Anka
Sony Xperia P
PM
Posted: 2009-04-30 00:50
Source: http://www.mobil.se/artikel/s[....]0%9D_mob_090429114634-070.html

Symbian director: "Soon too late for UIQ"

2009-04-29 11:57

UIQ was the system used in SonyEricssons smartphones, but its benifits now seem to become worthless. Symbian Foundation has yet not got access to the parts that UIQ was supposed to contribute with.

The Symbian Foundation director Lee Williams is appointed to operate the operating system Symbian in cooperation with developeras, manufacturers, operators and others. The system will soon be found in mobile phones from Samsung, LG, Nokia and Sony Ericsson. But the promised contribution from Swedish UIQ has still not been seen.
- Because UIQ Technologies has gone bankrupt we have not been able to get our hands on the contribution from UIQ for Symbian Foundation, he says in an exclusive interview with Mobil.

Therefore, as it stands today, even with contributions from others the contribution from Nokia to Symbian Foundation is unproportional large.
- UIQ has several assets, for instance I think there are some good things in the user interface. The calendar was one of them.

But now it starts to become too late, rather than waiting on UIQ the work proceeds and in short says Lee Williams will corresponding function be developed by Symbian Foundation.

In Symbian Foundation one can find manufacturers such as Nokia, Sony Ericsson and Samsung, but also operators, chip manufacturers and others.
The code is supposed to be open and to this project Nokia is supposed to contribute with Symbian and S60, the japanese Fujitsu is supposed to contribute with MOAP(S) and Sony Ericsson with UIQ.

It appears now that Sony Ericsson's contribution in this form will become absent, even if they still are part of the organisation and will launch their first mobile with Symbian Foundation in the form of Idou, which will come later this year.

The last smartphone from Sony Ericsson Xperia X1is a Windows mobil, but so far the only windows mobile. Previously and then in for example phones like P800, P900 and P1 Symbian was the base and above it UIQ. Even Motorola used Symbian and UIQ in a couple of their smartphones.
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2009-05-28 21:30
i guess this is kokura: Satio

Visual communication like never before with the Sony Ericsson Satio
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 131415
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic