Esato

Forum > General discussions > Rumours > 12 megapixel Sony Ericsson Kokura on its way?

Previous  123 ... 91011 ... 131415  Next
Author 12 megapixel Sony Ericsson Kokura on its way?
marty mcfly
Z770 Red
PM
Posted: 2009-02-17 12:38
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Mario what are you talking about? Are you even reading these comments? No one is hating on S60 or Nokia, we're saying that it's pointless to look at the 5800 interface because it's just plain old school S60. The new phones from and Samsung use S60 as their base, but put their own menus on top. Therefore we have no idea at this stage how either will behave, because there is nothing to compare them with. I don't see anyone being biased here at all, I think you are paranoid
mario2004
J200
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-02-17 13:07
OK, then so be it. I only wanted to share a bit of Symbian knowledge but I see now, some of the members in this forum have a 'different' mentality then the Symbian forum members I usually interact with. Fine with me. No arguing. However, I dare to make one prediction: Some (actually most) programs written for the N97 will run just fine on the ‘special SE operating system’ whatever SE will decide to call it and of course, will run just as happily on Samsung’s TouchViz Interface. But then again, just to keep you happy, it doesn’t have anything to do with the s60 OS (Here is something recent about TouchViz - http://www.engadgetmobile.com[....]nds-on-now-with-more-touchwiz/ - ) And don’t worry, I won’t bother in here anymore. -

[ This Message was edited by: mario2004 on 2009-02-17 12:29 ]
se_dude
Xperia Arc Silver
PM
Posted: 2009-02-17 13:28
**Umm..well yea. We all know that the SF OS is backward compatible with other S60 apps. But your stupid inference that Nokia has patented many S60 formats or blah is pure shit. Legally, you cannot patent anything in an open source platform. If you do so, it defies the basic presence of S60.
samatihada
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2009-02-17 13:32
q_]_] ] _\\] ] q_]_] _\\]

This message was posted from a 6600
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-02-17 13:58
Ugh.

Let's just get a few things straight here. S60 and UIQ were both user interfaces built on top of Symbian. Symbian itself was always the underlying OS of both, and came not from Nokia or SE but Psion, where it was originally developed under the name of Epoc and then spun out as a separate company.

UIQ was designed as a touchscreen interface since day one. That was its main differentiating factor. Nokia, in its wisdom, didn't go so much on touchscreens and developed S60 essentially as a button and menu operated UI, based very much on their own propietary interface (which they at the same time named "S40"). They used it to power any number of what were, essentially, featurephones with extended features - while SE championed UIQ for use in much more defined smartphones.

Fast forward several years, S60 has large market share thanks to its featurephone basis, but is fantastically outdated as an interface when compared to the latest from Apple etc. UIQ is much more up to date in UI terms, but woefully unsupported and unknown due to poor investment and a string of both hardware and software blunders along the way.

Now what's happened right now with Symbian? A fantastic victory for S60 over allcomers? Hardly. Firstly, the whole shebang (whether you're looking at Nokia, S60, UIQ, SE, Symbian itself, or anyone else involved) have all been thoroughly shown up and shamed by the iPhone. The Symbian movement has been chasing the dream of a popular smartphone for 10 years and really not made much of an impact - Apple have achieved it from a standing start in about 18 months. That makes everyone look stupid, Nokia especially so since they've invested more than anyone.

S60 hasn't won. S60 the interface that competed with UIQ is clearly on its way out, retired, since the early emphasis on S40-like menu operation has now come home to roost and left it feeling dated and irrelevant in the new, post-iPhone era. Instead we have an initial attempt to touchify it in the form of the 5800, but ultimately a stripping away of that interface, of what made S60, with the next OS. With the Omnia HD, Idou etc, regardless of their S60 compatibilty, what we're seeing is a new interface - neither S60 or UIQ - running on top of a Symbian base which yes, includes much of the added S60 code, but is equally a rejection of the S60 design, and a long overdue break away from the poor Nokia design decisions that held the platform back for so long.

At least, that's how I see it. And if I'm wrong, and I see any of that S60 heritage seeping through into the Idou, then I won't be buying it - not because I'm biased, or because I'm (at all) brand loyal, but because S60 is a blighted, awful, mess that's plagued Symbian for far too long already.
thklinge
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2009-02-17 15:18
I agree with every single word and I share your fear. S60 should have gone out the door a long, long time ago and if Idou has the same speed (lack of) and ease of use (it's a mess) as your run of the mill S60 phone or even 5800 then it will be a disaster.
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2009-02-17 16:23
Have you guys seen the lack of response of Omnia HD´s touchscreen??? All symbian manufacturers can do what they want, but untill they equal the iphone (and the G1) in touch input response (plus multitouch), they will be behind

Also, i don´t see anything on the Idou interface that shows they are benefiting of the AWESOME UIQ Touch concepts we´ve seen before

http://uiq.com/product/showroom/

This is what Symbian Foundation touch OS should be like...and i´m not seeing it in the near future

[ This Message was edited by: ares on 2009-02-17 15:25 ]
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-02-17 17:01
To be honest the Symbian situation depresses me massively. Ten years ago, I was using EPOC devices and would defend that OS to the death. Psion had a really fantastic product on their hands. Had Psion had the capital to develop it and enter the phone market themselves, I think we could all be in a very different place right now.

Instead the baton got passed to the likes of Ericsson and Nokia, and both stuffed up royally as far as I can see. Ericsson/SE/UIQ had the right ideas (the P800 really showed everyone the way), but went on to completely mismanage everything into the ground. Nokia, as far as I can see, have never actually understood the concept of a smartphone, and simply used Symbian to do all the OS donkey work in the background on more complicated devices while still sticking with essentially the same tired old Nokia UI from the 90's - a pointless waste.

In terms of realising the potential of an OS like Symbian to deliver a really advanced user-friendly smartphone for the masses, really nobody's achieved it yet, and instead it's Apple (whose own Steve Jobs was once said to be a fan of the P800) that finally brought the smartphone concept into the mainstream. For all the bluster of the Symbian Foundation (and their little fans like Mario) it's now Nokia and Symbian that are desperately trying to catch up and avoid getting completely sidelined in an iPhone/Android/WinMo pincer movement that renders them completely redundant.

[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2009-02-17 16:53 ]
thklinge
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2009-02-17 21:03

On 2009-02-17 16:23:40, ares wrote:
Also, i don´t see anything on the Idou interface that shows they are benefiting of the AWESOME UIQ Touch concepts we´ve seen before

http://uiq.com/product/showroom/

This is what Symbian Foundation touch OS should be like...and i´m not seeing it in the near future

Haven't seen their showroom before, that looked awsome! If you can put an interface like that, and on hardware that makes it flow as nicely as it does in the demo, I'm sold! That's a winner with both geeks and moms alike.
SloopJohnB
K750
PM
Posted: 2009-02-17 22:41
Has anyone here seen Palm´s Pre interface videos on youtube? It´s fantastic. It´s very similar to the iphone with multi-touch, ease of use and eye-candy but totally guided towards multitasking with flickable cards plus it has something called sinergy that takes contacts, IM, calendar and social services all together in a whole new level. If any phone in the market today can begin being called ´iphone-killer´, that phone is the Pre. I´m really amazed. However a couple of things still favor the iphone I guess... The first is iTunes... I don´t think the Pre will have a strong desktop app. Second the app store... Pre´s OS is new to the market plus it only accepts apps written on html, javascript and css (very easy to code and very light on resources but at the same time the apps will have limited power). Third is MobileMe. Fourth is 3D games (Pre only runs web code).
I can´t wait for the Pre to hit to market so we can really see what its capable of. Its interface is already superior to the iphone´s current OS, let´s see the rest in a couple of months.

A glimpse:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86YZ4rNvZ4E

another one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiQzCd2OnoM

[ This Message was edited by: SloopJohnB on 2009-02-17 21:43 ]

[ This Message was edited by: SloopJohnB on 2009-02-17 21:50 ]
PeterKay
W995 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-02-18 00:39
http://www.phonedog.com/cell-[....]raphone-hands-on-mwc-2009.aspx

nice vid

more to come soon says se rep
xell
W880 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-02-18 09:32
I have to shamelessly advertise it: The Idou Demo Tour in HD (720p).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS756Afq9JM
Muhammad-Oli
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2009-02-18 10:17
Very very nice, thanks Xell. It's probably the most simple, yet effective demo tour I've seen.
This message was posted in the mail
2008, 2009, 2010 Best Australasian Member.
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2009-02-18 10:20

On 2009-02-18 09:32:51, xell wrote:
I have to shamelessly advertise it: The Idou Demo Tour in HD (720p).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS756Afq9JM

Site says that the video is no longer available
10 years at Esato
Muhammad-Oli
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2009-02-18 10:35
Works for me! Try again razec, Youtube has been being a bit funny today.
This message was posted in the mail
2008, 2009, 2010 Best Australasian Member.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 91011 ... 131415  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic