Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 vs HTC Touch Pro (Raphael)

Author Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 vs HTC Touch Pro (Raphael)
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-08-20 16:45
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Is Multi Touch really useful? I only see it zooming pictures. I think double tapping to zoom would be better. What other practical things is it used for? I'm more of a "work the phone with one hand" kind of guy myself...except when texting.

[ This Message was edited by: WhyBe on 2008-08-20 15:46 ]
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2008-08-20 16:51
Whybe - it's a cool thing that the Touch Diamond/Pro can do (potentially) and the X1 can't, just accept it

HTC aren't the WinMo masters for nothing.

[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2008-08-20 15:51 ]
aksd
Z610 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-08-20 17:22

On 2008-08-20 16:45:15, WhyBe wrote:
Is Multi Touch really useful? I only see it zooming pictures. I think double tapping to zoom would be better. What other practical things is it used for? I'm more of a "work the phone with one hand" kind of guy myself...except when texting.

Right, whats the point of a touch screen anyway, you can do the same thingusing keys, why do you need a phone that slides out in te shape of a banana LOL! One that slides out flat does the same thing. You know you sometimes sound like the little kid who gets upset if someone tells him his toy is'nt the best toy in the whole wide world . If it makes you feel any better and gets you sleep at night then "Yes WhyBe my friend, MultiTouch is the most useless function on a cellphone, Tapping is a far better option ". BTW Do you really think all multi touch can do is zoom in and zoom out, HAHAHHAHA! DO you know the potential multi-touch has? Not on the Diamond but a multi touch phone would allow you to manipulate the UI in 3D, you can grab things, throw things, swirl things, resize images, endless possibilities. All to make a better user experience which you keep crowing about.

@Boinng

LOL!

[ This Message was edited by: aksd on 2008-08-20 16:25 ]
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-08-20 17:39

On 2008-08-20 16:51:31, Boinng wrote:
Whybe - it's a cool thing that the Touch Diamond/Pro can do (potentially) and the X1 can't, just accept it

HTC aren't the WinMo masters for nothing.

@Boinng: You should have looked at both links I povided Don't go tootin HTC's horn so quick. What good is multi-touch if there aren't any graphics under your finger?

DO you know the potential multi-touch has? Not on the Diamond but a multi touch phone would allow you to manipulate the UI in 3D, you can grab things, throw things, swirl things, resize images, endless possibilities.

@aksd
All the same things you can do with single touch
Nothing like throwing and swirling things in a UI. I wonder if WM7 will let me throw something all the way to the other side of a 3" screen

I'm not really bashing multi-touch, but, what I'm asking is: what is the killer application of multi-touch that single touch absolutely can't give the same experience with? Yes, the pinching/stretching of pictures and web pages is slick, but double tapping to zoom a frame is more practical.

OK, I'll give you one...zooming Google maps with multi-touch is pretty slick.

[ This Message was edited by: WhyBe on 2008-08-20 17:05 ]
aksd
Z610 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-08-20 18:26
@WhyBe

Resize an image with one finger,that should be amazing to look at. Right......stick with your 3in screen, I'll touch and throw on the 42in screen telly they use for presentations at the office, awww gee.....the X1 does'nt have TV-Out.....what a pity .

You know the story about the frog in the well? Right the frogs you. Theres a whole world of possibility for a range of technologies, all interdependant on one another, to have a decent UI you need decent hardware acceleration, to use decent hardware acceleration you need an OS that utlizies this hardware acceleration, to make the UI more fancy and easy to use you need technologies such as Multi-Touch, sensors etc. You keep crapping on about zooming an image using multi touch, that is so out dated. Watch videos of the device using the Nvidia APX2500, how pathetic SE's and HTC implementations of a UI come to light. Imagine your litlle3 in screen, you can minimize and app by minimizing it with two fingers and theres this tiny image of it in the bottom, maximize it with your fingers again, you might be able to do this with one finger, but it looses the overall experience, also moving the single finger may already be a predifined gesture, Multi touch increases the number of gestures you can use, making things all the more friendly. Or maybe you'd like sitting in the corner and continuosly tapping your screen watching the image zoom in.....zoom out.....zoom in zoom out........

So basically if you want to be stuck in tech released in 2007 in 2009 by all mean do so, I'm sure you're used to it .
Osmano
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-08-20 18:41
Hi all!

Anyone hear know how big microSD-card the two phones can use. What is the limit? 32GB? I can't find it anywhere....

aksd
Z610 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-08-20 18:46
@Osmano

32GB
jakontil
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2008-08-20 19:05
u should touch, feel n use the diamond whybee, its soooo much fun
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-08-20 20:47
@jakontil
Diamond isn't a contender for me. When I run across one, I'll check it out though.

@aksd
All of that talk but you can't answer my question?

I welcome ALL new technology when it is put to use in a practical way that is constructive to the user experience. I've already said that multi touch was useful in at least one app. I simply asked, what other useful things is it for? Don't give me theoreticals, give me real-world answers. So far, its only zooming.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-08-21 02:38

On 2008-08-20 16:45:15, WhyBe wrote:

It's not so much a technical as an ergonomic thing. The iphone really does have a VERY well designed user interface, of which multi-touch is an integral component. It's "intuitive", something that no other touch interface has. You don't have to think 100 miles an hour just to anticipate your next move - you just do it and bang it happens.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no iPhone fan, I hate the thing for it's wild claims of doing things that other cell's have been doing for years, and it's complete failure to do things such as bluetooth file transfer that we take for granted in other devices. But on the question of touchscreen interfaces there is no argument that iphone is king.

If X1 had multi-touch and the same intuitive interface (even touch flo doesn't match it) then it would be a true iPhone killer. But as it is it will simply be another dead zone handset that will do okay but appeal mostly to the WM AIO market.
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-08-21 03:06
Yeah, gotta give props to the iPhone OS/UI. Apple caught everyone sleeping. That, and Jobs knows what it takes to appeal to consumers emotionally. Makes me wonder what's in store for the next generation of OS's (WM7, new Symbian, Android, etc.). Being that iPhone GUI is the gold standard now, how will the other OS improve over the iPhone GUI?

[ This Message was edited by: WhyBe on 2008-08-21 02:17 ]
borisisinvin
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-08-21 04:20

On 2008-08-20 18:46:18, aksd wrote:
@Osmano

32GB

Hey all! Been a while since I've posted here, anywhoo I couldn't help but notice on HTC's page that the largest memory card that it'll accept is 16 GB microSDHC card, while all I can find on the X1 is anecdotal information (mostly from other tech blogs and tech sites) that points to the X1 accepting a maximum of 8GB (though I highly doubt it...) contrary to what you say. Askd what's your source?...

Anywhoo, both phones look fabulous! I currently have a N95 8GB that supports TV out, and have to say that I rarely use the feature, so I don't see myself using this feature on my next phone purchase a whole lot be it a Touch Pro or a X1. Though, I do have to admit that the Touch Pro's implementation is waaaay better than my N95 8GB's as far as I can tell from some of the pictures I've seen floating around the internet!

I think that potential buyers need to be aware of whom these two very different (yet similar) devices are intended for (namely two very different segments of the windows mobile professional market) I sincerely believe that the Touch Pro, with it's TV out, is more intended more for the heavy business user who's always on the go, where as the X1 with it's wider WVGA screen is more intended for the multimedia enthusiast who may or may not necessarily be a heavy business user... Though... I have to admit that I noticed that the Touch Pro has some killer music software and comes pre-bundled with Opera 9.5 on it as demonstrated on various reviews about it, so the whole "Multi media" user thing that I just said may be contestable...

With all that in mind what I feel isn't contestable is HTC's failure to include a standard 3.5 stereo jack, stereo speakers, and a camera button on their offering; which the SE X1 has that I feel marks it as more of multi-media focused smartphone than the Touch Pro. I find I use these features the most in regards to my current phone, and couldn't imagine myself living without them! I have to admit that I felt myself leaning more towards the Touch Pro at first (thanks to HTC's excellent Touch Flo finger friendly software and standard screen resolution decision), however after stopping and thinking about my needs I decided that the SE X1 was better suited for me. I need a Multimedia geared smart phone with a qwerty keyboard and stylus support, which the X1 has... Provided the X1 isn't buggy and a complete mess upon release, I see myself probably getting this now instead of the aforementioned Touch Pro, mainly for those reasons...

Worst case scenario I could always flash a cracked version of HTC's Touch Pro ROM onto it later thanks to the huge hacking community I'm sure will be/have been working on it since it release...

P.S. What's with all of the personal insults and mud slinging going on in here?... Can't everyone keep it civil and respectful?...

[ This Message was edited by: borisisinvin on 2008-08-21 03:41 ]
aksd
Z610 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-08-21 04:23
Now WhyBE I cant help it if you're dim witted. Use your own brains to think of what you can do with two finger . Think easier rotation of maybe a single app, single pic, 1 finger cant do that as it would rotate the entire screen, i finger rotation in such a situation would be hard to implemnt with software, I'm talkign about running multiple windows, minimizing them, resizing them, etc. This leaves more standaridsed gestures for 1 finger operation such as launching applications. Like I said the possibilities are enormous, its how well you intergrate a feature into the UI that makes it overall more usable. The iPhone UI is great because of stuff innovative stuff . Even tablet manufactuers are going Multi TOuch, why? Overall a better experience.

Just because you cant think of something, does'nt mean it does'nt exist. Maybe the applications for Multi-Touch are far more than what I can imagine as well, we'll see some feature on a phone tomorrow using multi touch and we'll be like OOH WOW!. Nobody thought of using the touch screen like how apple did now did they?
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-08-21 05:10
OK. I think multi-touch would be a benefit on a bigger form factor. Just on a tiny screen, I'm not seeing it's usefulness, nor have I seen any iPhone programs that exploit it outside of the aforementioned zooming. Yes, you can grab and rotate a picture, but so what? I can make my pictures crooked on a tiny screen...yipee! It seems a lot more useful on a bigger form factor like the Windows 7 or Surface demo, that's all.
aksd
Z610 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-08-21 05:14
You have'nt used solaris have you? You can jot down quick notes behind say an SMS etc. pertaining to that SMS it would be really cool. Your experience in the mobile or IT industry seems extremely limited. Broaden your horizons....theres more to this world than the X1 LOL!

[ This Message was edited by: aksd on 2008-08-21 04:15 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi