Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > Apple unveils the 3G iPhone

Previous  123 ... 128129130  Next
Author Apple unveils the 3G iPhone
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-07-10 15:54
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
There's some info on in-shop repairs here - http://theappleblog.com/2009/[....]phone-displays-while-you-wait/ - that's all in the US mind, not sure if it applies to UK stores.

The hitch is the whole warranty thing - if the glass is broken because your friend broke it somehow (other than some form of manufacturing defect) it won't be covered, so in all probability it'll cost him.
RyaN
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2009-07-10 16:15
Cool cheers. Was digging around also and came up with the same topic - eventually! Indeed it looks like it's only covered if the crack(s) in the glass are due to a manufacturing defect.. otherwise it'll cost £130 (or $199). Still, personally I don't think it's too bad...but perhaps as in this case her warranty runs out on 21st July, might as well try one of these third party places (which'll void the warranty obviously) or a DIY (for her though, probably not a good idea!!!)

Maybe if 'you' only had the phone a couple of months I reckon it's definitely worth paying Apple to ££ to do it in order to keep the warranty intact
Current phone: iPhone 3G
Favourite : S700
Follow me on Twitter!: Here
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-07-10 16:37
Yep, not the cheapest thing in the world, but not the end of the world at that price either - worth it if you're still under contract and/or warranty for a while yet.

They should bring back the metal back and put tempered glass on the next one, you'd never need another phone..
MWEB
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-07-10 17:30

On 2009-07-10 16:37:42, Boinng wrote:
Yep, not the cheapest thing in the world, but not the end of the world at that price either - worth it if you're still under contract and/or warranty for a while yet.

They should bring back the metal back and put tempered glass on the next one, you'd never need another phone..

I'm running a 3G S, Omnia HD, Pixon, Storm, Renoir, concurrently , the Apple cam is still pretty much garbage, at least it's marginally better than the storms
RyaN
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2009-07-10 18:07
Lol which one is the best though overall Mark?
DickySnapples
Z1010
PM
Posted: 2009-07-10 19:21
well it certainly wont be the storm, which is a big pile of shit!
RyaN
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2009-07-10 21:33
Yeh I can't understand why on earth u added that to your collection when you've got the Bold for BB means, and the iPhone really can't be beaten ATM for touch screen goodness
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-07-10 23:49
I had a play around with the storm a few weeks ago.. very strange beast. The screen couldn't feel more breakable if they tried, the whole idea of pushing it in as one big giant button feels so clunky and odd - it's like the designers started off with a list of everything that's good about a traditional Blackberry, and everything that's good about touchscreen phones, and then decided to create the exact opposite of both!
RyaN
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2009-07-14 12:45
Oh btw, got my replacement from Apple on Saturday, swapped out for a new one without question. Extended limited warranty until Oct now which is good, but hopefully I will have a 3GS by then...

Dare I say it as well that I was using the iPhone unjailbroken up until last night and I was actually enjoying the fact that it just works, no slow down etc. However, I got too pissed off with the poor Push Notification system and had to JB just to install GriP. I'm trimming back this time though, no WinterBoard or themes for the moment...
MWEB
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-07-14 14:15

On 2009-07-10 18:07:26, RyaN wrote:
Lol which one is the best though overall Mark?

They each have pro's and con's, which is exactly why i will never settle on just one device
RyaN
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2009-07-21 11:35
For those Southerners among us

The Apple Store in Brighton opens it's doors on Saturday 25th July 2009. The first 1000 customers receive a free Apple t-shirt.

I'm there!!
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2009-07-21 11:43
thats THIS saturday coming then

I assume by "customers" that you need to buy something to get the free t-shirt?

edit: I just got the email.. its first 1000 "visitors" - No purchase necessary. While supplies last.
might see you there!
[ This Message was edited by: masseur on 2009-07-21 11:09 ]
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2009-07-21 12:07
for those fans on Flight Control, there is now Harbour Master which is almost as addictive

RyaN
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2009-07-21 12:13

On 2009-07-21 11:43:19, masseur wrote:
thats THIS saturday coming then

I assume by "customers" that you need to buy something to get the free t-shirt?

edit: I just got the email.. its first 1000 "visitors" - No purchase necessary. While supplies last.
might see you there!
[ This Message was edited by: masseur on 2009-07-21 11:09 ]

I want that t-shirt! LOL

Indeed mate - be there, or be square
Barachus
W800
PM
Posted: 2009-07-30 16:43
Hilarious claims by Apple in their never ending quest to make jailbreaking officially illegal
drug dealers??
A few months back, Apple made a plea to the Copyright Office to make jailbreaking illegal. The EFF called their reasoning "absurd" and "FUD." It's still sitting before them to make a decision.

Apparently, Apple feels they are in a losing battle and are now throwing out some pretty far-fetched reasons to the Copyright Office in order to back up their case. For one, they say jailbreaking could let users alter the Exclusive Chip Identification number, letting the jailbreaker make anonymous calls. They say "this would be desirable to drug dealers."

In further claims, they say jailbreaking could lead to cell towers or networks being taken down Hacks to the baseband processor (BBP) would mean “a local or international hacker could potentially initiate commands (such as a denial of service attack) that could crash the tower software, rendering the tower entirely inoperable to process calls or transmit data... taking control of the BBP software would be much the equivalent of getting inside the firewall of a corporate computer — to potentially catastrophic result."

Or maybe... Apple enjoys the success of the AppStore, and doesn't want anyone else encroaching on that market. The Cydia Store, Rock Your Phone, and various other non-AppStore sales methods are appearing, and gaining in popularity. If the AppStore is no longer the ONLY way to vend your app, theme (try getting one of THOSE from the AppStore), or tweak, Apple stands to lose some of that valued income. And therein lies the real issue.

I recently bought Coda for my Mac. Panic makes great software. When I bought this... I just used Safari. I went to their website, I downloaded the app, and I paid them through their own payment system. I didn't have to go to an Apple store. I didn't have to open iTunes to buy my Mac software. In fact, Apple wasn't involved in any way at all other than creating a beautiful piece of hardware and a slick operating system which my copy of Coda runs on. Can you imagine the outrage if you could NEVER buy (or get freely) any software for your Mac except through iTunes? Control...

And guess what? Professional hackers could, using only a Mac connected to the internet, gain access to all sorts of high-level secure sites, and wreak who knows what havoc. Does that mean all software for every Mac should go through Apple?

What all this "jailbreaking is illegal" nonsense comes down to is Apple attempting to maintain their absolute control on all software for the iPhone - which is flat out insulting. This doesn't fly with any other device... why should it with iPhone?

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/07/jailbreak/

The nation’s cellphone networks could suffer “potentially catastrophic” cyberattacks by iPhone-wielding hackers at home and abroad if iPhone owners are permitted to legally jailbreak their shiny wireless devices — that’s what Apple claims.

A jailbroken iPhone is a weapon of mass disruption, Apple claims.
The Copyright Office is considering a request by the Electronic Frontier Foundation to legalize the widespread practice of jailbreaking, in which iPhone owners hack their devices to accept software that hasn’t been approved for distribution through the iPhone App Store. Apple made the claim in comments filed last week (.pdf) with the agency.

The company’s filing explained that jailbreaking could allow hackers to altering the iPhone’s BBP — the “baseband processor” software, which enables a connection to cell phone towers.

By tinkering with this code, “a local or international hacker could potentially initiate commands (such as a denial of service attack) that could crash the tower software, rendering the tower entirely inoperable to process calls or transmit data,” Apple wrote the government. “Taking control of the BBP software would be much the equivalent of getting inside the firewall of a corporate computer — to potentially catastrophic result.

“The technological protection measures were designed into the iPhone precisely to prevent these kinds of pernicious activities, and if granted, the jailbreaking exemption would open the door to them,” Apple added.

Threat Level had no idea the iPhone was so dangerous. We’re gratified that Apple locked down this potential weapon of mass disruption before hackers could unleash cybarmageddon. This also explains why Apple rejected the official Google Voice App for the iPhone this week. We thought it was because Google Voice posed a threat to AT&T’s exclusivity deal with Apple. Now we know it threatened national security.

At stake for Apple is the closed business model it has enjoyed since 2007, when the iPhone debuted. More than 30 million phones have been sold. Apple has told the Copyright Office that its locked-down platform is what made the iPhone’s success possible.

The EFF has asked the regulators for the DMCA exemption, (.pdf) which would allow consumers to run any app on the phone, including those not authorized by Apple.

Fred von Lohmann, the EFF attorney who made the request, said Apple’s latest claims are preposterous. During a May public hearing on the issue in Palo Alto, California, he told regulators there were as many as a million unauthorized, jailbroken phones.

In an interview Tuesday, he said he suspected those phones have not been used to destroy mobile phone towers. “As far as I know, nothing like that has ever happened,” he said.

He added that, if Apple’s argument was correct, the open-source Android phone from Google on T-Mobile networks would also be a menace to society. ”This kind of theoretical threat,” von Lohmann said, “is more FUD than truth.”

The Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 says “no person shall circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title.” But under the law, every three years the Librarian of Congress and the Copyright Office must consider the public’s requests for exemptions to that anti-circumvention language.

Apple also claimed that jailbreaking would pave the way for hackers to alter the Exclusive Chip Identification number that identified the phone to the cell tower, which could enable calls to be made anonymously. Apple said “this would be desirable to drug dealers.”

[ This Message was edited by: NoKia on 2009-07-30 15:53 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 128129130  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic