Author Apple unveils the 3G iPhone
Neo-Tech
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-12-09 15:11
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2008-12-07 20:50:18, scouser_75 wrote:

On 2008-12-06 18:46:18, Neo-Tech wrote:
Great, my Cydia's stopped working, another restore.

Just to make things clearer for you guys:

iPhone 2G
Can be unlocked unofficially and will always be unlockable, no matter what. If you do upgrade your baseband in this iPhone, you can always downgrade. But remember, this iPhone will never be able to be unlocked offically.

iPhone 3G
Can be officially unlocked but not unofficially, not yet anyways. In the newer firmwares, 2.2 onwards Apple have updated the baseband so you can't use TurboSIMS and stuff like that, the only solution is to get a custom IPSW or stay at 2.1. If you are officially unlocked, as in from when you took it out of the box, you can upgrade to any firmware as you wish, even if it upgrades the baseband.

Regarding the iPhone 3G quote - Neo-Tech you're almost correct. But apparently, if you bought a Officially Unlocked 3G handset BUT it has a Model Code from a country where the handset is locked you might be in trouble if you update to 2.2.

The reason being that when updating the handset will assume that you are trying to update an unofficially unlocked handset and therefore mess up the baseband.

I'm going to try updating my official unlocked italian iphone with a USA Model Number so will confirm if this is true or not. Apple have assured me that this will not lock up the phone. But if it does they will unlock it for me again!!!

Wish me luck folks

That's where your going wrong. Your saying it's offically unlocked and it is but then your also saying it's updating a unoffically unlocked handset when it's offically unlocked. Remember, if you are offically unlocked, no matter what happens you'll stay unlocked, that simple!
Look, it even worked, yay, xD.
scouser_75
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2008-12-09 15:33

On 2008-12-09 15:11:25, Neo-Tech wrote:

On 2008-12-07 20:50:18, scouser_75 wrote:

On 2008-12-06 18:46:18, Neo-Tech wrote:
Great, my Cydia's stopped working, another restore.

Just to make things clearer for you guys:

iPhone 2G
Can be unlocked unofficially and will always be unlockable, no matter what. If you do upgrade your baseband in this iPhone, you can always downgrade. But remember, this iPhone will never be able to be unlocked offically.

iPhone 3G
Can be officially unlocked but not unofficially, not yet anyways. In the newer firmwares, 2.2 onwards Apple have updated the baseband so you can't use TurboSIMS and stuff like that, the only solution is to get a custom IPSW or stay at 2.1. If you are officially unlocked, as in from when you took it out of the box, you can upgrade to any firmware as you wish, even if it upgrades the baseband.

Regarding the iPhone 3G quote - Neo-Tech you're almost correct. But apparently, if you bought a Officially Unlocked 3G handset BUT it has a Model Code from a country where the handset is locked you might be in trouble if you update to 2.2.

The reason being that when updating the handset will assume that you are trying to update an unofficially unlocked handset and therefore mess up the baseband.

I'm going to try updating my official unlocked italian iphone with a USA Model Number so will confirm if this is true or not. Apple have assured me that this will not lock up the phone. But if it does they will unlock it for me again!!!

Wish me luck folks

That's where your going wrong. Your saying it's offically unlocked and it is but then your also saying it's updating a unoffically unlocked handset when it's offically unlocked. Remember, if you are offically unlocked, no matter what happens you'll stay unlocked, that simple!
Look, it even worked, yay, xD.

Strange hey!

I was looking over on the Apple Forum and so many people have had the problem of their handset being locked up because the Model Code was not from the country they bought their "officially unlocked" handset from. One example was of a bloke who bought his, like mine, from Italy off Vodafone. But when he went and updated to 2.2 BANG! it got locked up. The same happened to another guy who bought his from Australia.

But then, the flip side to all these stories is that myself, along with others, have managed to update to 2.2.

I guess it's all a bit of a gamble.

Sebby
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2008-12-09 19:49

On 2008-12-09 13:12:58, scouser_75 wrote:

On 2008-12-09 01:00:44, Sebby wrote:
I don't know whether to get the Power Support Crystal or Anti-Glare...

I was speaking to a bloke in the Apple Store (a customer) who had had both these. He said there really was no difference between the 2, what-so-ever! He was baffled as to why Apple has 2 version of the film!!

Well that's definitely not true - one is clear and one is frosted! [addsig]
Sebby
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2008-12-09 19:54

On 2008-12-09 14:25:37, JiggyJaggy wrote:
thanks for that, will have a look now

I'd also recommend the Sennheiser CX300s. Just make sure you get them from somewhere reputable like Amazon as there a lot of fakes around. [addsig]
JiggyJaggy
P800
PM
Posted: 2008-12-09 21:11
cheers for that. Will have a look on Amazon now.
Superluminova
K610 red
PM
Posted: 2008-12-16 01:37
Hey folks, does anyone know why BBC iplayer isn't working with the iPhone anymore?
OBEY GAINT
smilerthe cheshirecat
Z600
PM
Posted: 2008-12-16 01:52
Working on mine via wifi.... ? Cheshire UK
Sebby
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2008-12-16 22:30
Same here... [addsig]
jennyrose
P910
PM
Posted: 2008-12-17 00:22
Hey
Anuj
P990
PM
Posted: 2008-12-17 12:03
I've just bought an Officially Australian unlocked version and it should arrive tomorrow. Will it lock itself I try to update to firmware v2.2?

Will I need to activate this via Itunes? ANy pointers to websites that can guide me through set up for an Australian Iphone in the UK would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2008-12-17 12:24
@ Superluminova - iPlayer's fine for me too, watched Screenwipe on it this morning. What problem are you having exactly?
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2008-12-17 15:37
I just received a text from O2 saying that they have released an app called the O2 festive Kit.

Its free in the app store

You get a set of bells that ring when you shake the iphone, a picture of the o2 with snow and music, and a mistletoe with a button to making a smooooching sound... quite tacky really

Superluminova
K610 red
PM
Posted: 2008-12-18 11:25

On 2008-12-17 12:24:10, Boinng wrote:
@ Superluminova - iPlayer's fine for me too, watched Screenwipe on it this morning. What problem are you having exactly?

Hello,

I just can't get any tv / radio shows to play.
OBEY GAINT
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2008-12-18 11:38
That's odd - could it be a problem with your wifi/broadband? Who's your connection with? Are you getting as far as the "play" icon appearing on the iplayer page, pressing that and then nothing downloading, or are you getting some sort of error or message before then?

I remember when I got my iPhone back in October I was seeing a lot of "this programme is unavailable" messages and thought something was broken, but it appeared to be a problem at the BBC's end and just fixed itself over the next week or so. No real problems since.

If it's going through the motions and just not downloading the video, it's possible that your broadband supplier is throttling/blocking the connection in some way, and it might be worth raising with them.

@ Masseur - I downloaded that this morning, and yes it is very tacky and cheesy, festive though! I thought some of the reviews were a bit mean considering it's just a fun freebie!
Superluminova
K610 red
PM
Posted: 2008-12-18 11:43
I just don't get the play icon anymore?
OBEY GAINT
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 818283 ... 128129130  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic