Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > P1i - nothing will get it to synchronize!

Previous  123  Next
Author P1i - nothing will get it to synchronize!
myth®
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-04-15 20:16
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2008-04-15 07:20:27, Phoebus wrote:
Do you think the fact I have activesync installed has anything to do with this?

I have both, PC Suite & WM Device Center (the Vista version of ActiveSync), installed on my Vista Home Premium and can confirm that both work fine.

They do not interfere with each other.

Could be a different story with ActiveSync on XP though...
HTC HD2 [16 GB] + SE HBH-DS980
AD
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-15 20:29
I was wondering if you had a 'service' disabled in XP that may be required by the Sync Manager.
myth®
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-04-15 20:38

Or what about the latest SP(3) for Office XP ?

Is it installed ?

Could be that Active Sync is also compatible with the non-SP version of Outlook 2002, while PC Suite is not.

Just a thought..
HTC HD2 [16 GB] + SE HBH-DS980
Spattinson
W760 Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-04-15 20:55
Time to start with some basics.
Does a little plug icon appear when you connect the phone to the pc? If so tap it and check if your in phone mode or file transfer mode. You should be in phone mode for sync.

If the icon does not appear i think you have a hardware problem. Does the phone start charging when plugged in?

Also try tapping the chevrons in the corner of the screen and select connections then usb. What does it say there? Try disabling usb charging incase the fone is sucking too much power from the usb port.

Last resort try another pc in file transfer mode or a different usb cable.

If all fails your fone could be faulty
AD
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-15 21:14
The reason we're on to such esoteric notions as services is because the 'basics' have been covered in earlier posts. You're right though, it could be simply a hardware fault, but it's odd how the OP can do everything else with the pcsuite apart from sync - unless the sync software uses a different physical connection for data............well, I doubt it. So we're left with software or possibly firmware - but surely this would have been reported by other P1 users by now.

My hunch is therefore that it's something individual to the pc in question.
JSK
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-04-15 21:22
actually, I have the same problem.

My phone was fully functional and synching with Outlook 2007 with no problem. I then upgraded my firmware, and since then, I haven't been able to synchronize with Outlook.

I can connect the phone to the computer through both USB and Bluetooth and do SMS management, install applications and file transfers with no problem. So connectivity is not an issue.

When synching fails, I get an error message on the phone:

Application Closed

Application
com.symbian.syncmlinit

Reason code
SyncML::CLient

Reason number
AD
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-15 21:51
I had that, and it turned out to be an incompatibility between the firmware and the version of the pcsuite I was running - installing the latest one fixed it. The only thing is I had to completely uninstall the old suite first.
JSK
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-04-15 22:17
I just cleaned the registration database, uninstalled the PC Suite (which by the way was the latest version 1.4.4) and then cleaned the registration database again, restarted and then reinstalled. And wouldn't you know, then it worked.

So apparently, for me at least, upgrading the firmware and uninstall/reinstall the phone suit did the trick, hope some one else can use this tip
AD
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-15 23:59
Interesting that you had to clean the registry to make it work properly, suggests the uninstaller is not tidy and leaves some problematic values behind, which then propargate into a new installation. What tool, if any, did you use, or did you manually sift through looking for entries relating to the pcsuite? I remeber doing this when having a completely different problem with it

[ This Message was edited by: AD on 2008-04-15 22:59 ]
JSK
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-04-16 09:09
I used the automatic clean up routines in TuneUp utilities.

In all honesty I cant tell you if a normal uninstall/reinstall would have worked. I always clean up the registration database like that when I install/reinstall. Force of habit and bad experiences when not doing it.

But since it was the same version of PC Suite I uninstalled/reinstalled, my best guess is that it must have be some registration/settings that caused my problems.
Phoebus
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2008-04-16 12:14
Once again thanks to all for your help with this. Hope we manage to get it solved fast.

On 2008-04-15 20:29:12, AD wrote:
I was wondering if you had a 'service' disabled in XP that may be required by the Sync Manager.

Hmmm... you might have something there AD. Any ideas on what that service might be though...?

Funny thing is I don't get any error messages. Spattinson, I will try your suggestions later when I get home and post here.

I don't know why but I have a weird feeling that it's something that has to do with my Outlook.

Is there anything I should check in 'Mail' from within Control Panel or maybe that doesn't have anything to do with the whole thing?
AD
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-18 00:01
Unfortunately I can't tell which services (if any) sync uses, all I can suggest is that you set any that are disabled to manual as this makes them start on demand. Then, if the sync software works, see which one has started in the list.

Of course this could be a complete red herring. and it could equally be some registry setting, of user permission that is blocking it.

[ This Message was edited by: AD on 2008-04-17 23:04 ]
Hanzy
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-18 01:39
Well I tried reinstalling and clearing with tuneup but it still doesen't work. phone can connect in file transfer but it can't connect in phone mode... I can only connect in phone mode if I connect with bluetooth (It doesen't work on usb). usb is otherwise ok.
and I have PC suite 1.4.4, where can I find latest drivers?
AD
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-18 18:25
@Hanzy
I don't think it's a driver issue, as you can connect via BT, it sounds to me like mrouter doesn't have the correct ports open to USB.

Plug in your phone, right click on the mrouter icon in your system tray, choose 'advanced settings' make sure USB and any sub check boxes are ticked, also view 'additional com ports', and put everything in the left box into the right one.

Hopefully, your phone will now be visible to the pcsuite.

If you do want the drivers though, they are in a folder called 'symbian 9 drivers' in the SE folder in 'program files' by default.

[ This Message was edited by: AD on 2008-04-18 19:01 ]
Phoebus
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2008-04-20 22:23
So, I'm back with an update. The problem is still there but here's the latest:

Have tried on a different PC and there everything works perfectly fine with latest version of PC Suite. So it's definitely not a phone or cable problem.

I have also compared services on both PCs and made sure they're the same.

Furthermore, on the problematic PC, I have upgraded Outlook from 2002 to 2003 and also removed activesync just in case.

Last thing I can think of to mention is that the problematic PC uses Win XP Home while the other is using Win XP Pro.

Thinking if I should try an earlier version of PC Suite...?
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi