Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > P1i not support WPA2 and 802.1X ?

Previous  123  Next
Author P1i not support WPA2 and 802.1X ?
mlapse
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-05-02 04:39
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Nipsen, vbnmu,

Have you got any ideas about the p1i and the WPA=AES(PSK) issue. I am not able to connect to my office network using the same ocnfiguration but my colleague using Windows mobile 6 connects easily grrrr..

thanks in advance
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-05-02 08:24
...who knows? We need a bit more data, I think. Is your connection to the AP rejected right away? Can you connect, but then can't transfer any data? Can you tell if you're not validated at the server, and that the connection dialogue stalls (..maybe the non- standard certificates problem? Which means you need an issuing certificate installed on the phone before you can use the logon). Is the AP set to use cts/rts very often?
The p1 Whiki - report your bugs, and add feature requests here.

"Brothers and Sisters, believe! Believe in the salvation of Demand Paging, 'eah!"
mlapse
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-05-02 09:13
Nipsen,

Wow! Ok. What I know so far by speaking to the IT support at my office:

1) They have a wireless using WPA-PSK with AP's throughout the building
2) These use the 802.11b protocol and go to 802.11g only when b is not available.
3) No proxy.
4) There is a passphrase.
5) This wireless is a guest wireless which signifies its pretty open. It is not a WPA2, though we have that too.

Now what I need to know:

1) What kind of information should I ask them or try to find out to connect using the WPA-PSK and the WPA2?

All I know so far is that I enter the WPA Personal key and it tries to connect and then says Connection Failed. No log nothing. It scans the connections fine though.

Please help me ask my IT support the right questions o I cna provide you the info or troubleshoot it myself.

I tried SE support today and the person said that WPA Personal is not the same as WPA-PSK and therefore is not suported by the p1i. However Wikipedia says they are the same.??? I don't understand how SE support can be so poorly trained?
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-05-02 14:24
Maybe they enjoy provoking people?

Anyway.. Best (wild) guess - you're using mixed mode on your server, running a pre- shared key (PSK) with the periodic renewal (tkip - temporal key integrity protocol), and a wpa2 mode of some sort. And when you connect, the p1 defaults to the strongest encryption scheme (aes - "advanced" encryption standard), and will never validate the key it's supposed to be using, or receive the predicted responses from the server. Probably some sort of inventive use of "get capabilities" from the ssid going on.. (not that this is only SE who screws up things like that).

Because the p1 supports either wpa with tkip/aes or radius, or wep with psk on it's own (personal/enterprise isn't any sort of standard). Most likely the WM unit connects fine because it defaults to tkip when the other mode fails.

Mm.. so, if you can confirm that the server is running in mixed mode, that would be great.

"Brothers and Sisters, believe! Believe in the salvation of Demand Paging, 'eah!"
mlapse
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-05-02 18:33
Nipsen,

When I said we also have WPA2, I meant the WPA2 is a different wireless network not the one I'm trying to connect to. Sorry for the confusion.

By mixed mode, I think you mean AES/TKID or 802.11b/802.11g ??

I'll find out about both and let you know. From what I know the person with WM has set it to AES.

tks
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-05-02 20:22
..no, I mean mixed authentication mode. So you can connect with both wpa and wpa2 if you want. For each of those, there's an encryption scheme and a different handshake - possibly something goes wrong here that the WM device "rescues" the right way. If that's not it, check the pass and username, domain and certificates (and I will cry, because I was sure you could confirm a bug for me).

mlapse
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-05-03 02:06
Nipsen,

You may be correct about this mixed mode thing. My IT support told me that the excryption method is TKIP. Howveer my laptop shows it is AES. Looks like it gets changed along the way. The guy who supports this network will be in on MOnday. more info then.

Does this mean that our network is configured to TKIP+AES and gets switched? If so, why can't I connect to the way it is finally (AES.) Does it have to go from TKIP to AES?

What should I do now? Contact SE suppport and ask them to check if its a bug? Could this be a bug in the firmware? I'm using GW1.

Anyone else using their P1i on a TKIP+AES network successfully? Which version of firmware are you guys on?

Thanks
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-05-03 16:50
Does this mean that our network is configured to TKIP+AES and gets switched? If so, why can't I connect to the way it is finally (AES.) Does it have to go from TKIP to AES?

I'm not sure. But if you're logging on with wpa, maybe the router expects tkip. And the p1 probably wants to use aes, since the network is capable of that. So, some sort of miscommunication, possibly. I tried figuring it out with another AP, but ended up just turning off the mixed mode..

Have you tried putting in the settings manually, and choosing wpa professional, and so on, btw..?

...And if you can, I think you should call SE and ask them to check if there's a problem.
mlapse
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-05-04 22:09
Nipsen,

I don't get WPA Professional. Are you talking about WPA Enterprise. That seems to ask for a username or a username/pwd.

On Monday the firewall and network guy who can trace the connection and see how far it made it will be coming to office and I'll try to figure out whats goin on with him.

THanks and I'll let you know how it goes.
mlapse
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-05-06 03:10
Nipsen, et all,

My IT support person verified my connection settings as ok. Looks like we are using WPA2 - PSK. However while trying to connect, I keep getting a Connection Failed error.

The network person sees my phone trying to hit the network using the MAC address. But he says it seems like nothing else is being sent by the phone i.e. the encryption method, the security, the SSID. He can't see anything else being sent by the phone. When he tries to send some packets to my phone he gets no response.

Now, my phone works at home with my wireless router using a WEP key.

Any ideas why this is not working? How can I fix this? Im runnig the latest generic world firmware.

Thanks in advance
mlapse
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-05-06 11:23
Nipsen.. anyone else?? please help me!!
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-05-06 13:49
..hm. That's interesting. See, on 802.11i networks, wpa2 automatically means using aes (with a psk). So even if both the AP and the phone supports the right modes, it could be a conflict because of the way it's initiated. I.e., that the p1 strictly supports the 802.11i authentication standards, but breaks down because the AP expects some way to handle the additional EAP modes - definitively something SE should take a look at.. But I suspect they'll argue that it's the Access point that doesn't conform to standard - to keep in line with their technically correct, but utterly unhelpful answers.

Still. Great. I think we figured out the problem. It's been bugging me for ages.. I have this 802.11n AP with 802.11i standard, so I didn't notice that one - just had problems when I ran mixed mode (which is another "non- standard" mode using extended EAP. And I thought it had to be something else when it didn't work elsewhere with those specific settings. Thank you... Er.. sorry it's not much help, though..
mlapse
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-05-06 18:30
Nipsen,

thanks. But i still don't get it. apparently the ssid etc.. isnt even being sent to the AP. We hit the AP but it doesn't know anything else except that someone with this MAC tried to connect. Also, the APregisters a very very low signal (-128 db) even though the p1i shows be all bars as full.

my support person will run some tests end of this week. we'll try no security, then wep, then wpa aes then the rest and i'll try to identify the issue.

thanks.
Mizzle
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-05-06 18:36
m600,

That won't work on any smart phone, as far as I'm aware. My school uses the same.
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-05-06 19:03

On 2008-05-06 18:30:00, mlapse wrote:
Nipsen,

thanks. But i still don't get it. apparently the ssid etc.. isnt even being sent to the AP. We hit the AP but it doesn't know anything else except that someone with this MAC tried to connect. Also, the APregisters a very very low signal (-128 db) even though the p1i shows be all bars as full.

That might be because the modem have some routine or other in hardware that waits passively for whatever it is you've registered on the phone. ..power- saving thing.

..Again, this might be because of some "extended standard" used/anticipated by the Wi-Fi Alliance before 802.11i. And therefore used on your router.
my support person will run some tests end of this week. we'll try no security, then wep, then wpa aes then the rest and i'll try to identify the issue.

Great. Tell us how it goes.

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi