Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Windows Mobile > Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1 discussion

Previous  123 ... 939495 ... 504505506  Next
Author Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1 discussion
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-03-28 16:52
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hi all

Actually the reports of Symbian S60 being jail broken or left completely open are some what of an exaggeration as the reality it now appears it is not even be close to this.

Whilst it is now possible to access the system files and folders each device has to be cracked separately and only lasts till the phone is restarted or rebooted before needing to be applied again. So really only those that want there device hacked and open and want to mess a round in the file system and folders can do so leaving the rest of us that have no interest no more vulnerable than we were before this announcement.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-03-28 15:52 ]
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2008-03-28 17:12
Marc, sorry but I think you're missing the real implication here - if it's possible for an app (appTRK.sys in this case) to undo the security and open access to those system files, then it's possible for any malicious software to do the same thing. Like the average S60 owner, you'll be thinking you're quite safe from all this stuff because you haven't "jailbroken" your phone, when in fact that innocent little card game you downloaded the other day has already done it for you and installed who knows what on your C: drive, all in the same foul swoop.

The age of innocence is over Symbian users.

[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2008-03-28 16:17 ]
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-03-28 17:18
Hi Boinng

It really is not that easy to do and requires a user with a good amount of knowledge to even make it work and it is temporary not permanent so your suggestion is just not possible now even if it may be some time in the distant future.

As i have said currently it is only possible to achieve on one device at a time and even then requires a high level of knowledge and skill to achieve and once the phone is restarted or rebooted it is disabled and no longer possible without re doing the entire hack again.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-03-28 16:19 ]
aksd
Z610 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-03-28 17:42
We're drifting off again now are'nt we .

@Marc,

What Boinng is trying to say is if the end user can do so much, imagine what a programmer or hacker whos been in the industry for over 20-30 yrs can do now that a loop hole has been found.

Now if I wanted to attack the system what I;d do was write a tiny app that jailbreaks the phone, immediately register myself to auto startup without the end users knowledge so even after boot up it automatically starts up, after the start up, once its run I'll have my app jail break the phone once again, without the users knowledge and do whatever damage I want, delete system files etc.., now how WM prevents this is, when you have a corrupt system file it deletes this file and restores it automatically, I dont suppose Symbian would have this feature as they never expected you to access the system files in the first place. What I suggest you do is inform SYmbian about this, but then you'd be hated by Symbian hackers the world over , but you end up protecting the end users interests which is whom SYmbian is targeted at anyway.

you might say user interaction is required, but what a user can do a programmer can replicate a program to eliminate user inputs if the inputs are the same every time around.

Akshay
http://www.flickr.com/photos/akshaydashrath/

[ This Message was edited by: aksd on 2008-03-28 16:48 ]

[ This Message was edited by: aksd on 2008-03-28 16:48 ]
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-03-28 19:02
@askd and Boinng

Which part of my statement are you finding so hard to understand currently even those that want to can't make it Auto start other wise it would be a permanent hack which it isn't and the facts i've pointed out wouldn't be a problem. But if you feel you are smarter than the Symbian geeks that have got to this stage please feel free to educate them as to what they should do but some how i am sure if what you suggest could be done then they would know about it and do it. Now maybe some time in the future it will be possible but currently it just isn't so as i said currently there is nothing for most users to be concerned with as you need to be very proactive to make it happen. As no one is claiming possible what you are anywhere.

Actually to end this pointless discussion may i suggest you go and read
the thread here at Symbian Freak in the Modding section called Hack to Override Permissions as unfortunately we can't link to that site on this Forum.

Marc

Nokia E90,8GB SDHC, Fring, Tom Tom 6
Dogmanns Nokia E90 Blog @ http://dogmann.vox.com/
Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-03-28 18:16 ]
aksd
Z610 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-03-28 19:21
@Marc

We did'nt say it will happen now did we, we said it can happen, and I said thats how I'd go about doing it. You basically did'nt tell me that the app could'nt be autorun now did you(although knowing the devs this will be possible in a while)? I am not telepathic to read your mind. I dont follow symbian hacking closely and built my assumptions on what information you provided. And questioning our intellgience, how very droll. At least we know what we're talking about. And I do pride myself as a programmer, modder on previous SE phones, Linux and WM.

On another note I wonder why you enjoy disrupting our discussion by bringing in SYmbian into every post of yours in the last few pages, this post went back on track only the be side tracked by you again. Now we would appreciate it if you let us get on with our thread and if you would like to further our Symbain discussion we can do it via PM or a different thread or email. Thank you.

Regards,
Akshay

Akshay
http://www.flickr.com/photos/akshaydashrath/

[ This Message was edited by: aksd on 2008-03-28 18:27 ]
JAGUY85
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-03-29 03:50
Did anyone post this? Apart from Beyonce, the Xperia X1 is featured on Jack Magazine:

My History: T310.K700>K750>W810>K800>W850>K800>K810>P1>X10a>?
S. B. R. Jr.
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-02 00:24
Confirmed: Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1 Powered by Windows Mobile 6.1

http://www.slashphone.com/con[....]ered-by-windows-mobile-61-0150
Aquila non capit muscas - /// 4ever!

/// Ericsson Forum
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-04-02 00:46
Is there any info on the "premium user experience" that X1 is supposed to deliver? I mean, hardware superiority doesn't mean anything if it isn't brought together with a great user interface. After all, the UI is what sets iPhone apart from the competition, not it's hardware.

I'm wondering if the nifty user interface of the X1 goes any deeper than the 9 panels we have seen thus far. What about the standard Sony apps like calendar, notes, music/video player, clock, etc? Do they also posses the "Xperia niftiness" or will they be standard WM programs. I know it is WM6.1 underneath it all, but that doesn't mean that the "Sony layer/shell" won't be as slick as the panel screen...will it?

I'm hoping the SE delivers something on par with the iPhone user experience while maintaining the power afforded by WM.

[ This Message was edited by: WhyBe on 2008-04-01 23:53 ]
jcwhite_uk
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-02 01:52
Official SE X1 Press release:

Sony Ericsson brings new level of personalization to the mobile phone with the XPERIA™ X1
01 April 2008
Sony Ericsson to put the user at the center of the mobile multimedia experience with its XPERIA™ range of phones

Las Vegas, USA – 1st April 2008 – Sony Ericsson today confirmed that it will be running Windows Mobile® 6.1 on its stand-out arc-slider phone, XPERIA™ X1, the innovative multimedia phone announced at this year’s Mobile World Congress. Using Windows Mobile® 6.1, together with Sony Ericsson’s unique XPERIA™ panel user interface (UI), will enable a highly user-focused experience with enhanced connectivity, messaging and multimedia features.

As the mobile broadband comes of age, consumers are waking up to the vast array of multimedia services and content they can access on the move through their mobile phone. The XPERIA™ X1 from Sony Ericsson enables consumers to personalise their experiences through a distinctive touch screen, panel-based UI creating an interface which is uniquely relevant to them and how they live their lives. This continually active desktop allows users to organise the phone’s active dashboard as they want, changing between panels just like they change their mood, activity and information needs in the course of every day.

“No two individuals have the same tastes and desires. Sony Ericsson’s XPERIA™ X1 has been developed to ensure that mobile web communication and multimedia entertainment can be tailored, putting the individual at the heart of the mobile experience in a uniquely personal way,” said Rikko Sakaguchi, Head of Portfolio and Propositions, Sony Ericsson.

Operators will also be able to custom build the touch panels that run on the XPERIA™ X1 to provide the consumer with a rich, aggregated offering of their applications and services. In addition, Sony Ericsson also plans to align with key partners around the panel technology to enable them to develop exciting applications that can be enjoyed by users on the XPERIA™ X1.

Visit the Sony Ericsson booth (Central Hall C3 Booth #1627) a CTIA in Las Vegas between April 1 – 3to hear more about the unique personalization and customization capabilities of the XPERIA™ X1.

The Sony Ericsson XPERIA™ brand of multimedia mobile phones will bring a totally new user experience to the mobile phone market, putting the consumer at the heart of their experience and allowing the individual to create a touch panel dashboard that is unique to them and how they live their life.

Checkout my photos at My Website

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-04-02 02:24
^^^ OK, all of this is obvious and well documented.

What I'm still wondering is the specifics of the Xperia user experience. Will it be intuitive or geeked-out. Can I record a phone conversation? Will I be able to quickly write notes during a phonecall? If I am in the middle of an app and the phone rings, will the X1 switch elegantly or just snatch me out of the app? Is it designed for finger's or do some of the buttons require the stylus? Is the speaker/earpiece loud enough? These are some of the nice touches I hope are addressed in the X1.

I still use my p910a so some of these issues may have been addressed in the p990 or p1.
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-02 02:26
the fone isnt out yet, there are maybe some protos at se... u should wait some monthes with your questions...
Aquila non capit muscas - /// 4ever!

/// Ericsson Forum
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-04-02 02:37

On 2008-04-02 02:26:05, BobaFett wrote:
the fone isnt out yet, there are maybe some protos at se... u should wait some monthes with your questions...

Yeah, I suppose so.

Just thought someone had some inside info. There is a lot of discussion of the hardware in this thread but not the actual phone operation/UI.

[ This Message was edited by: WhyBe on 2008-04-02 01:38 ]
nk126
K790
PM
Posted: 2008-04-02 09:49
Got a hands-on demo of X1 at CTIA tonight. Still non-finished software, but further along than I'd seen before. Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvGofpi5DEs

Check PhoneDog.com on Thursday for my mini-review/thoughts on the demo and getting the X1 in hand.
bavlondon2
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-02 09:57
Fantastic video!!! Really like the fishes thing they have done - a very creative way of conveying information to you. I thought at first it was just a rip of from LG but kudos SE!!!!

I also really like the way images scroll as you enter the gallery.

[ This Message was edited by: bavlondon2 on 2008-04-02 09:06 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 939495 ... 504505506  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic