Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > Nokia N95 8gb review by Dogmann Part 2

Author Nokia N95 8gb review by Dogmann Part 2
Paul_C
W890 Brown
PM
Posted: 2008-01-16 21:32
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Its available on O2 now

Dont know what to do, I think if I ditch SE I will regret it!
vabopi
K750
PM
Posted: 2008-01-19 02:22
Does anybody know if the front cover of the N95 8GB (sold as a replacement part) includes the "glass" over the screen?

This is because I don't like to use screen protectors, and when the screen becomes scratched, can I replace it?
fyford
Xperia X10 Mini Black
PM
Posted: 2008-01-22 22:51
Hi Guys,

I have finally packed it in and switched to Nokia since being with SE since '92 and all that bla bla. I have a couple of questions regarding the N95-8gb (which is what I now have).

I have always been using FME / MyPhoneExplorer with the SE's for texting etc. straight from the pc. Is there anything similar for the Nokias?

What have you guys found to be the best phone case? I used a body-glove sleeve for the past 7 years and that worked a treat, but this beast does not quite fit in it... closest I can find is one of these phone socks..... not too sure about that one!

Cheers
abbasakhtar
M600 white
PM
Posted: 2008-01-22 23:33
of course, theres plenty of n95 8gb covers out there and cases to protect them, check out ebay

and yeah the nokia pc suite lets you run phone operations from your pc like contact management, sending txts, reading, etc.
Benfrain
K700
PM
Posted: 2008-01-23 00:07
Few months on - N95 - the mutt's nuts or the dog's dinner?

Before I leap in and get a N95 8GB can some of the people who have had the handset a while give their honest opinions...

I'm with Orange and as you might imagine, with them always being last to get the latest handsets, the reps in the Orange shop say it isn't out yet because it is too unstable etc

Is there any truth in that? Is it a stable device? Or do things crash on it regularly?
vabopi
K750
PM
Posted: 2008-01-23 01:11
@ fyford

I am in a similar situation. Loved my SE phones but last November couldn't resist to the N95 8GB...
Beware of the Nokia PC sofware. If you are lucky and all the applications run (Nokia PCSuite or the even heavier NSeries PCSuite), you will miss the simplicity and effectiveness of MPE (my favourite) or FMA.
A 3rd party sw - Oxygen - deserves a try, however the standard version has a price of almost €50. Google it.

@ Benfrain

It seems that what is unstable is the Orange sw they want to use...
I have had 2 or 3 problems with my N95 8GB, not unstability, and probably due to the fact that I have tested in it lots of different sw. So far I managed to overcome those problems. It's a work horse.
I use it a lot since November, and have not regretted this buy anytime, even in the worst moments. I bought it unbranded in Asia, and changed to Euro1 a few days later.

[ This Message was edited by: vabopi on 2008-01-23 00:25 ]
mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2008-01-23 06:02

On 2008-01-22 22:51:06, fyford wrote:
Hi Guys,

I have always been using FME / MyPhoneExplorer with the SE's for texting etc. straight from the pc. Is there anything similar for the Nokias?

Cheers

Nokia PC Suite has all this. You dont need any 3rd software for this basic things. And it is very easy to use. Just click on the icon and way you go..
SIGHUP
W850 black
PM
Posted: 2008-01-23 06:58
Honestly speaking. . .

I miss SE and its battery life. But I do not want to into another smartphone vs. dumbphone debate.

Sometimes a simple SE is all you need. But then again all the features of the N95 8GB are just awesome. Take just now for example. We were watching some episodes over the tv out feature. I am connected the the internet through a bluetooth connection to my laptop on this phone to send this message.

As heavy user as I am, the device needs charging every night. Just when I miss the torch feature that some SEs offer, then the 30 fps VGA video recording kicks in.

So in order of importance

What do I miss? (Drawbacks)

Torch!
Battery Life
Sony Mega Bass

What do I like in the N95 8GB? (Benefits)

2.8" Screen
30 fps VGA video recording
5MPX Camera
TV-out
2.8" Screen
Ability to install S60 apps
2.8" Screen

So its a trade off. There is no perfect device yet, unless SE comes out with it.

Like I said before, the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.
islandprd
K750
PM
Posted: 2008-01-23 09:10
We hear you alright, 2.8" screen

Have you upgrade your fw? Mine ocassionally have some booting up problem when connecting to a bluetooth headset even after reflashing it
voda_jon
S500 Green
PM
Posted: 2008-01-23 09:53
i've not had any probs with my N95-8Gb since having it (updated to v15 firmare) and have around 4gb of music and loads of apps running all the time....

Theres loads of software to make this phone even better and apps like papyrus, rotateme, nokmote and flip silent make this phone miles ahead of any competitor!!!!

Plus download the PC Phone app from Nokia Beta Labs (google it) and you can send and recieve txts from firefox browser as long as your phone is connected via bluetooth or cable.
fyford
Xperia X10 Mini Black
PM
Posted: 2008-01-23 18:23
Cheers guys for all the tips, will have a look at them shortly!

What I can add is the cracking Upnp functionality on the N95-8gb. Guessing it works the same with the other Nokias that support upnp. I have a media server (MediaTomb on my pc - but WinAmp Remote and Windows Media Player can do the same) serving all my music, photos and movies which I can directly access from anywhere within my wi-fi coverage at home, directly on the phone.

Ok I have yet to get the movies to run, but just having access to all my music in this way is pretty cool as I can lounge in the garden with a good book and I am not limited to the music on the phone! Further I can controll my wi-fi radio (MusicPal - google it) from the phone - more than a gimmick I suppose, but still pretty impressive!
Gizmo47
P900
PM
Posted: 2008-01-27 15:05
I now have the n95 8gb as an upgrade from vodafone and have updated to v15 firmware so it is debranded, i thought this would unlock it for all sims as well but it doesn't seem to be. What would be the best way to unlock it as well?
Btw the phone is great, i had a n95 before anyway and the black one is definitely better although the screen which is obviously bigger but i find it is not as sharp as the orignal n95 screen. It has to be time for vga screens soon.
spirit3102
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-01-30 17:14
i cant seem to install tom tom 6 on my Nokia N95 8gb. i can seem to intsall the 'private' file and some of the sys files. i have installed it beofre on the n80 and the n95 standard but copied it straight to the memory card. however i am having problem copying direct to the phone (n95 8GB), can some one email me and help me out. thanks in advance...... [addsig]
Wuz
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2008-01-30 18:01

On 2008-01-23 00:07:09, Benfrain wrote:
Few months on - N95 - the mutt's nuts or the dog's dinner?

Before I leap in and get a N95 8GB can some of the people who have had the handset a while give their honest opinions...

I'm with Orange and as you might imagine, with them always being last to get the latest handsets, the reps in the Orange shop say it isn't out yet because it is too unstable etc

Is there any truth in that? Is it a stable device? Or do things crash on it regularly?

Benfrain - I too am with Orange and have been waiting for them to bring this out. Did you get the impression from the reps that you spoke to that they were definetly going to bring it out once they had solved the software problems...or is is going to go the way of so many other high end phones and not appear at all on Orange?
-Also, have you considered the Samsung i780? - Its coming out on Orange in the next week or so and looks pretty similar in terms of specs?
Mr Miyagi
K850 Green
PM
Posted: 2008-01-30 20:30
Wuz what software problems are you talking about? There is hardly any software problems with the N95 8GIG. The only software problems der is, is when orange puts der own software on the handset.

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi