Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > Nokia N95 8gb review by Dogmann Part 2

Author Nokia N95 8gb review by Dogmann Part 2
SIGHUP
W850 black
PM
Posted: 2008-01-05 01:35
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Sounds good, I'm still waiting for anymore bugs or slowdowns compared to the older firmware.

Thanks for sharing. Let us know camera speed for sure.
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-01-05 12:09
@SIGHUP

Still the only bug i have ever found on the N95 8gb was not being able to delete Album Folders in the Music Player, as for speed the Gallery app is much faster and all thumbnails refresh quicker to. The same goes for the search app that also opens much quicker now and the whole devcie also appears to be slightly quicker and smoother. There really are no disadvantages to this latest upgrade at all IMO.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-01-05 11:09 ]
SIGHUP
W850 black
PM
Posted: 2008-01-06 00:36
Thats just what i wanted to hear. After all your original review prompted me to get this phone. Ive had three crashes and some delays when opening gallery and music player. But its not like they happen all the time. I am selling this phone because im getting the nam version.
borisisinvin
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-01-06 01:27
Hey Dogmann. I read on another site yesterday about the new firmware release for the N95 8GB. I went to Nokia's website to update my phone after reading about it, but could only find the first update which I updated my phone to. How and where did you find the new firmware update? I keep looking in the phone software update portion of Nokia's UK site but can't find it, or any mention of it anywhere... Was it done OTA? Nokia doesn't support OTA updates here in the states yet (I called and a customer service rep told me so), so if that's the case I guess I'm SOL... Also, when my phone is plugged into my PC with the update software running it says that I have the latest software?... Any help you could give me, would be much appreciated.
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-01-06 01:28
is your fone maybe branded?
Aquila non capit muscas - /// 4ever!

/// Ericsson Forum
borisisinvin
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-01-06 05:20
Nah, I bought it new and unlocked on eBay. It's a NAM N95 8GB, and I was able to update it to the first available update with no problems using a PC and Nokia's Update Software. However, the problem now is that I can't seem to see any evidence of the new software on Nokia's UK site using my computers web browser, and when I connect my N95 8GB to the PC and use the software updater on the PC to update it it says that I have the latest software (which is the old one)...

[ This Message was edited by: borisisinvin on 2008-01-06 04:21 ]
pow1990
K750
PM
Posted: 2008-01-06 10:56
I also cannot update, however i am on vodafone so i may take a while. Does anyone know how long it usually takes for an update to come out for the network?
Ericsson->Alcatel->Nokia5110->Nokia3210->Nokia3310->Nokia3330->Nokia7210->Sony Ericsson k700i->Sony Ericsson k750i->Nokia N70->Nokia N80->Nokia N95 8GB-> iPhone 3G
paoloangeles.bebo.com
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-01-06 19:12
@borisisinvin

I didn't realise the North American Version was already realised but as it has a different product code maybe Nokia have not realeased it as yet. Sorry i can't be of any more help than that just keep checking or look at Howard Forums as I'm sure some one will mention it once it is available.

@pow1990

Networks are notoriously slow at approving updates and some times they don't at all, but unless you have a really good reason to keep the awful Voda branding i would seriously advise debranding your devcie as although Voda branding doesn't appear to bad on the surface IMO it really is and a debranded device is really much better and not just because you can get the firmware when it is first available either. Look on the Forum where you can find both all the product codes and also a simple debranding guide.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-01-06 18:12 ]
borisisinvin
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-01-06 21:44
Oh yeah, I got it the week the N95 8GB came out. I think Nokia did a simultaneous release of all of the N95 8GB across all of the regions on this one, so I've had my NAM N95 8GB pretty much from the get go. I never really thought of the fact that it might not work because I'm using A NAM version versus a European one, though it did let me update it to the previous firmware using Nokia's UK updater software (even though I do have a NAM N95 8GB, Nokia USA's site doesn't show any support for it under the sofware updater portion of their site ).....

[ This Message was edited by: borisisinvin on 2008-01-06 20:45 ]
voda_jon
S500 Green
PM
Posted: 2008-01-07 11:53
its also possible that the NAM version has to go through localisation for the US before it is released for NAM phones.

Language etc and also certain features would need to be added and taken away and the obv is the use of different network protocols means it may take a bit longer as well...

hope this helps a bit!
jackdaniels
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-01-07 13:57
Just purchased the 3 version and was wondering is it ok to change the product code and update it? I heard that there is problems with the 3 network when you debrand the handsets.
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-01-08 20:54
@borisisinvin

Are you sure you have a NAM N95 8GB as from all i have read it isn't even due for release till late January early February so am a little surprised you have one already.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-01-08 19:54 ]
islandprd
K750
PM
Posted: 2008-01-11 07:20

On 2008-01-05 01:35:00, SIGHUP wrote:
Sounds good, I'm still waiting for anymore bugs or slowdowns compared to the older firmware.

Thanks for sharing. Let us know camera speed for sure.

Updated mine. Hanged 3 times. cannot see any significant diff in speed while opening image gallery. No diff on cam speed. Battery widgets is no use. It is just translating the erratic battery bar into percentage.
vabopi
K750
PM
Posted: 2008-01-15 20:27
I've updated the firmware and perhaps because of that I now have serious problems using the camera. It seems that the recording process to the mass memory cannot cope with the amount of bytes involved, and in video mode recording the image freezes after about 5 secs, not the audio, then continues for a few secs more etc. When I stop recording it takes ages to finish processing the recording. On photo mode the delay in processing the image is also abnormal, very noticeable if I take photos in bursts. For example a burst of 5 pictures takes some 15 secs to save in mass memory.
Changing the memory in use to phone memory none of these problems ocur. I have reset the camera, reset the phone, formatted mass memory, nothing works...
And by the way, the Content Copier of the Nokia NSeries PCSuite is in my case completely useless. It makes the backups, but when trying to restore, it makes my PC reboot !!! Tried several times always with he same result.
Another problem I have to add to my already very problematic experience with Nokia PC software.
Beware: test RESTORE before relying on Content Copier.

Any sugestion regarding my camera problem is wellcome, since the amount of space of the phone memory is not enough to record many videos and photos.
bulukaki
K850 Green
PM
Posted: 2008-01-16 19:11
question:

after the latest firmware update, does the phone usually shuts itself off? just wondering because my husband's phone always does that, especially when it stays in his pants pocket. but when it's pocketed somewhere else (jacket, my bag, etc) the chance of the phone turning itself off were probably 1:5

anyone knows why?
proud owner of a K750i, a dead K850i, HTC Touch Cruise, and a Nokia X5-01
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi