Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > Nokia N95 8gb review by Dogmann Part 1

Previous  123 4 ... 131415  Next
Author Nokia N95 8gb review by Dogmann Part 1
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-16 12:13
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
how is fring and smartmovie? at the last, is it better to view movies in the wider screen?
Aquila non capit muscas - /// 4ever!

/// Ericsson Forum
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-16 19:44
Hi Boba,

Fring is fine and don't use Smart Movie as all my films and TV shows are encoded in H.264 so Real player plays them perfectly so far watched a couple of episodes of Heroes and the sound and picture were stunning.

Marc

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-11-16 18:44 ]
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-16 20:00
did u noticed any bugs?

/// Ericsson Forum
frank2345babies
W900 white
PM
Posted: 2007-11-16 20:18
hey all sorry to kinda hijack this thread but was wondering if anyone could help me. I was recently sent a beta of rotateme from the developer after making a donation but it is unsigned and i tried to follow the guide for doing this but failed at the first step because i only have a hotmail account so couldn't register can any1 help? Oh and dogmann try ipmart forum for getting apps etc on your handset i just put on a mega drive emulator on my 8gb and it runs really well. And also does anyone have a slightly loose slider when closed. As my phone has slight give vertically when shut and have only had the phone for about a month. Still aint complaining after only paying £12 for the phone
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-16 20:56
@frank2345babies

Thanks for the tip but i just don't play games on my device not really a games sort of person, my slider is absolutely rock solid if not even a little stiff. Sorry no idea have never signed any files as i only install apps that i really need and all that self signing apps is way to much hassle for me really can't be bothered with it. Also although i have seen the rotate me app i really have no need for it at all.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-11-16 19:56 ]
Wuz
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-11-16 21:14
Thanks for the review, Dogmann - this really does look like a fantastic phone.

-Does anyone happen to know when the exclusivity contract with Vodaphone ends and when/if it might be out on Orange?

-Probably pushing it but can anyone who works for Orange tell me if the phone will support Line 2, when/if it comes out?

Much appreciated.
Wuz
bulukaki
K850 Green
PM
Posted: 2007-11-16 22:37
dogmann, so the battery's physical size of the 8GB version is different than the original N95 then. that's all I need to know because 2 phone stores that I called told me that I can use (interchangeably) the batteries and wall charger between original N95 and the 8GB version without any problem it's pretty strange because not only the batteries have different model number, the 8GB's batt has more power to it compared to the original.

I believe by asking a person with actual phones on hand without any business intent (unlike a cell phone store), I will get a more accurate answer. thanks.
proud owner of a K750i, a dead K850i, HTC Touch Cruise, and a Nokia X5-01
icaka
T610
PM
Posted: 2007-11-16 23:23
Hi Dogmann

Nice to see you reviewing the beauty

So you say you can't tell the difference in sound quality between the iPod and N95 8gb?What encoding do you use?(please try with 3-4 WAV tracks)Also,do you still use the e2s for listening on the go?What do you think of volume - which one is louder?Also I've heard that N95 is "tinny" at high volume levels,is that the case with N95 8gb(its a software issue,they can fix that)?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions,and I know N95 8gb isn't on par with N81/N82/N91 but I'm thinking of buying it or N82(or N91's successor if it is released soon) and you know music quality does matter to me.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.-George Bernard Shaw
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-17 00:05
@Boba,

No not as yet the Music Player is quite slow to open at first but now just leave it running in the background so it is instantaneous after the first time as i have more than enough Ram to leave everything open once used really no need to close apps any more.

@Wuz

I believe Voda have as an exclusive till after Christmas but that is no guide as to if or when Orange get it, i thought line two was Sim and Network dependant but not sure.

@ bulukaki

No problem using the charger but the batteries are definitely physically larger which is why the design of the battery compartment changed to accommodate it.

@icaka

All my Music is converted using the Nokia Music Manager @160kbps AAC as as opposed to my iPod which is @256kbps AAC. Yes i am still using my Shure EC2's and the volume is more than loud enough at 60-70-% with no distortion or hissing at all and definitely not tinny or hollow sound. It produces a nice rich sound with great separation and full soundstage both bass and treble response are as they should be for a quality listening experience IMO. I would say the iPod volume is most probably louder at max but i never listening that loud anyway on either device.

If the N95 8GB didn't produce a good enough sound i would keep the iPod and Vaja case, but as it is more than good enough i am going to sell the iPod even though i will have to take a hefty loss and i wouldn't do that if i felt the Music experience was that much better on the iPod.

Don't have any WAV files to test it with as am happy with AAC so can't help there but the N82 is out now.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-11-16 23:06 ]
icaka
T610
PM
Posted: 2007-11-17 00:25
Thanks man.

About the WAV files - well you can always extract an audio CD to WAV and try how it sounds. I BET you'll be very happy.

Any problems with the 3.5mm jack? Its a little bit awkward to be on the side.

offtopic:

Btw,I've seen on some spec sheets ad etc. that most phones and players support audio formats up to 320kb/s,but its not very definitive if it applies to lossless audio-codecs too.What about them - FLAC,APE,WAV an etc.,because they are at 1411kb/s? :?

Dogmann PLEASE download this theme and try it:

http://www.pizero.net/archives/218

And take some shots.
I'll be VERY glad to see how the phone looks with it!
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.-George Bernard Shaw
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-17 00:56
@icaka

The download of that theme is currently suspended due to bugs, it really isn't my kind of theme i like really dark preferbaly Black Themes but when it's available will try it and post screen shots just for you.

I suppose i could just copy the Music directly from iTunes to N95 and will try that when i am up to it, but although my iPod music is @256kbps and the N95 160kbps the quality is still more than good enough. I am very lazy when it comes to converting stuff and always like nice easy options that are fast and simple but will have a play and see what i think and report back.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-11-16 23:56 ]
icaka
T610
PM
Posted: 2007-11-17 01:33

On 2007-11-17 00:56:43, Dogmann wrote:
@icaka

The download of that theme is currently suspended due to bugs, it really isn't my kind of theme i like really dark preferbaly Black Themes but when it's available will try it and post screen shots just for you.

I suppose i could just copy the Music directly from iTunes to N95 and will try that when i am up to it, but although my iPod music is @256kbps and the N95 160kbps the quality is still more than good enough. I am very lazy when it comes to converting stuff and always like nice easy options that are fast and simple but will have a play and see what i think and report back.

Well some pics with other black themes would be great too.
I like black themes too and I would rather switch the golden elements in the theme I posted to silver/chrome ones, as they would suit the keys of N95 8gb more.

About the WAV testing - I understand your point.But I personally test audio quality playing WAV and I think differences are more obvious.

Thank you for all the effort!
S4k1s
Sony Xperia Z5
PM
Posted: 2007-11-17 01:42
OMG Dogmann u need to cut your nails man!

OT: Nice review.
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-17 14:25
whats the most important advantage for u in n95 8 gb? as i see, its "almost the same fone", so wondering, can nokia turn to buy the 8gb version ( i mean the former n95 owners )

/// Ericsson Forum
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-17 17:26
Hi Boba,

Well the most obvious advantages are clearly visible the larger screen the nicer colour and the better build quality. But for me it is all about the performance the extra 64mb Ram is of course good but what makes even more of a difference is the Demand Paging IMO. The 8GB mass storage is also nice as personally i don't want to be taking out and swapping tiny memory cards all the time and 8gb really is a lot of storage. So far i have the whole of Heroes all 23 Episodes in high quality MP4 @about 85-110mb per Episode, 11 Albums in 256kbps AAC, 36 Pictures, 41 Documents, and 1 Pdf.
I still have 4.1gb of storage free. Even after adding a couple of Films again in high quality MP4 i will have 2.5-3gb left.

@icaka and all

What you don't like my Black MSN theme that i am currently using then? i love it. Last night i deleted my Albums encoded @160kbps and just copied 11 Albums from iTunes @256kbps AAC straight to my device. That actually caused me a problem and my first bug, read N95 8gb Bugs for exact details.

I ended up reformatting the mass Memory to over come it, but now the really important bit does it make a difference? Well not really sure to be honest it's not a huge difference but the more i listen the more impressed i am with it it does still sound great well actually make that brilliant. It has definitely made my mind up to sell my iPod as can just take an Album from iTunes and copy it over. Although the Album art didn't come with it.

Thankfully on the N95 this is really ease to fix, i just attached the N95 8gb in Data transfer mode the same as for adding everything so far and copy the Album Art straight to the images folder. Then open the Music Player select a Album then add Album art which takes you straight to the Gallery and select the one you want, after which it can be deleted from the Gallery. It is now not only attached to the Album but every track also so when making a Play list each track carries the Album art just how easy is that.

Oh yes i forgot on reformatting i managed to rid of of a lot more stuff that Voda had dumped there so for the first time i saw my true storage potential which was 7.6gb of free storage. I even had to recreate some folders but at least just the ones i really need instead of things i don't and bug me. Here are some screen shots of the Muisc Player

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-11-17 16:35 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 4 ... 131415  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic