Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > SE W910-Not a Music Phone-Review-Latest shocking update

Previous  123 ... 101112  Next
Author SE W910-Not a Music Phone-Review-Latest shocking update
mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2008-08-18 15:14
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@max_wedge

the in-ear headset that came with W910 is definitely much better quality than the original crap N95 headset. If you get a chance to listen to both phones with the same better headset, then you can clearly hear the different. It is not a matter of preference. You dont need to be an audiophile to tell that N95/82 definitely has much clear and dynamic sound. Like I said, the earphone I used is a Sony in-ear type (with bass boost).

If you say your W910 dont reboot, then you are not using the media menu a lot. That's what cause it to reboot - most probably due to ram issue (i suspect).

Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2008-08-18 15:36
I agree with mib, I use Shure headsets, also tried with my other headsets Philips with bass boost as well. The difference is there. Oh, I tested with the N95 though and the W910 does lose out there. The bass is tight and its not hanging on the N95. Only if SE can equip their phones with the Sony NWA walkman sound processors. Those walkman players are awesome, better than my nano 8GB ipod!
It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2008-08-18 15:39
Just to give you an idea of what you're talking about N95 sound quality

as you can see, the two pics were based on the test done by gsmarena with their W910 and N95 8Gb review. however take note that the scores of the phones like N81, LG viewty on the different pictures did not differ from each other indicating that there was a common ground among the phones being tested and that is the audio file they used for the test. i actually don't know much about this test so i'll let you decide who's generally better between N95 and W910 except for the dynamic range which i think favors the W910
10 years at Esato
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-08-18 16:47
@razec, exactly, that bears out my impressions. However the N81 does impress.

@mib, actually, media player is one of the functions I use the most Sorry to disappoint you but maybe your father has a lemon? The slowness and memory issues have been solved with the latest firmware, this is confirmed if you read up on the W910 firmware overview thread (and certainly for me going by my own experience). Check your father's firmware, is it R1FA035?

QVGA
Nokia Lumia 1020
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-08-18 16:57
wow look at those W910 figures at mid level volume.
mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2008-08-19 10:25

On 2008-08-18 16:47:30, max_wedge wrote:
@mib, actually, media player is one of the functions I use the most Sorry to disappoint you but maybe your father has a lemon? The slowness and memory issues have been solved with the latest firmware, this is confirmed if you read up on the W910 firmware overview thread (and certainly for me going by my own experience). Check your father's firmware, is it R1FA035?

I can't check now as my dad lives in a different city. But I updated the firmware around first week of July 2008 before I gave it to my Dad. The production date of the phone was 08wk23 so it is from a new batch.

Maybe to you the phone is very fast by SE standard but to me it definitely laggy compared to my N82 which I am using now. I am pretty sure the stability issue is related to the walkman multimedia menu. If I dont touch this menu the phone seldom reboots but if I use it to do stuff like create/edit playlist etc, the phone will reboot after sometime.

plankgatan
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2008-08-19 11:00
the first post in this thread, is just stupid ((technical-expert..hhmm))

what did you expect, some super sonic sound ???

if you want really good sound, buy a real "Sony walkman player" or a "Ipod touch".... dont buy a cell phone.

W910 looks great and have good normal sound (with a pair good headphones), nothing odd or strange with w910 sound.. its just normal.
(the only thing who bothers me, is the high price !.. its little to high for that kind of cell phone..im thinking about the low-quality camera of course)

edit. didnt W910 won some award for best handset in Barcelona some year ago ?????? he he

(t610, t630, k700, k750, k800, k810, k850)

[ This Message was edited by: plankgatan on 2008-08-19 10:19 ]
ZeneticX
W910 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-08-19 11:23
agree with plankgatan.its still a phone afterall,as long as the sound is good to listen thn its good enough for me.if u wan superior kickass sound go get a dedicated mp3 player instead.

[ This Message was edited by: ZeneticX on 2008-08-19 10:23 ]
c96sthl
C702 Speed Black
PM
Posted: 2008-08-19 11:26

On 2008-08-19 11:00:37, plankgatan wrote:
the first post in this thread, is just stupid ((technical-expert..hhmm))

what did you expect, some super sonic sound ???

if you want really good sound, buy a real "Sony walkman player" or a "Ipod touch".... dont buy a cell phone.

W910 looks great and have good normal sound (with a pair good headphones), nothing odd or strange with w910 sound.. its just normal.
(the only thing who bothers me, is the high price !.. its little to high for that kind of cell phone..im thinking about the low-quality camera of course)

edit. didnt W910 won some award for best handset in Barcelona some year ago ?????? he he

(t610, t630, k700, k750, k800, k810, k850)

[ This Message was edited by: plankgatan on 2008-08-19 10:19 ]

not some year it is last yr.

Maybe the whole GSM association get bride?? so they close their eye and ears to vote W910 being the best??

I think they don't want super sonic...everyone hoping their phone can give THX quality.

one day George Lucas will claim he created a THX std for phone and the first phone who got it...people will claim it bring a hell lot of different as watching death star blow up on 2.4in screen with two small NXP cellphone speaker is like watching the blow up on the spot.

in general this arguement is funny but of course now it got MIB in...it get drag to another topic hahahaha.....

but yes.... he did make a point tht somehow that media menu isn't tht good for the initiate generaiton of A200 phone...now getting better.

again do note...if any of your song or pictures are corrupted....it can also trigger the phone to reboot....when you on your phone...you check out media menu....all the stuff always going thru updates.

I know this thru a hard way....

[ This Message was edited by: c96sthl on 2008-08-19 10:29 ]
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-08-19 12:45

On 2008-08-19 10:25:07, mib1800 wrote:

I can't check now as my dad lives in a different city. But I updated the firmware around first week of July 2008 before I gave it to my Dad. The production date of the phone was 08wk23 so it is from a new batch.

Maybe to you the phone is very fast by SE standard but to me it definitely laggy compared to my N82 which I am using now. I am pretty sure the stability issue is related to the walkman multimedia menu. If I dont touch this menu the phone seldom reboots but if I use it to do stuff like create/edit playlist etc, the phone will reboot after sometime.

mib old friend, I know what "lag" means. I can operate the menu and there is no lag whatsoever, as in press a key and the function happens straight away, no waiting. The way it should be. Even with music playing.

The way all my SE phones are. Slow laggy SE phones are the exception not the rule my friend. I have never owned a slow SE phone.

However I found a bug that will give you some satisfaction, when I use the media player for half an hour or more, occasionally the activity menu dies (ie: press the activity button and nothing happens). I have to restart the phone, MANUALLY - not a self-restart before you say anything to get the activity menu back.

Don't say I never give you anything (to gloat about) buddy
mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2008-08-20 06:13

On 2008-08-19 12:45:58, max_wedge wrote:

mib old friend, I know what "lag" means. I can operate the menu and there is no lag whatsoever, as in press a key and the function happens straight away, no waiting. The way it should be. Even with music playing.

The way all my SE phones are. Slow laggy SE phones are the exception not the rule my friend. I have never owned a slow SE phone.

But you got to also admit that while the music is playing in background the phone is slow. And the the word "fast" should not be associated with the multimedia menu.

As a consolation the phone is definitely faster than the N70.

However I found a bug that will give you some satisfaction, when I use the media player for half an hour or more, occasionally the activity menu dies (ie: press the activity button and nothing happens). I have to restart the phone, MANUALLY - not a self-restart before you say anything to get the activity menu back.

Don't say I never give you anything (to gloat about) buddy

I too got the activity menu bug sometime.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-08-20 11:38

On 2008-08-20 06:13:59, mib1800 wrote:

But you got to also admit that while the music is playing in background the phone is slow. And the the word "fast" should not be associated with the multimedia menu.

As a consolation the phone is definitely faster than the N70.

The media player is slow in some operations, for example displaying all the track listings under "tracks" (but then I have 5GB odd worth of music). Otherwise I find it quite good.

And using the phone while music is playing you do occasionally get a bit of a delay it's true, but I find only long lists of stuff, for example call list, application list (I have a lot of apps installed) etc. to be slow. Actually navigating from one function to another is as prompt as usual.

So yes there is some lagginess. As you say, it's not as bad as the N70

But I do agree A200 still needs faster hardware before it's as prompt as A100.
HHY2K
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2009-09-04 08:10
The only reason I registered on this site is this thread.

The w910i is an absolutely amazing mp3 player hands down! The reviewer is deaf. It is better than my iPod touch with 2 classes! If you are somewhat an audiophile do yourself a favour, get this phone, throw away the earplug and get a decent headphone. This little guy blows your mind away and the Touch out of the water! Use decent mp3s over 200 kbps. Since I have my Sennheiser HD 485 connected to the W910i I can't get enough from the music I get from this phone. The Ipod Touch is sitting in the drawer, no EQ will help its sound and harshness, never mind it's superior GUI. The SE w910i is a smooth and velvety sounding media player, the menu is quite slow. It's cheap now. Get a good headphone (spend a $100 extra) and you'll love it! The firmware is pretty solid, not branded.
[ This Message was edited by: HHY2K on 2009-09-04 07:25 ]
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2009-09-04 10:04
funniest topic ive read, shocked i didnt give much feedback since i got my N81 in late 2007, but then again i didnt have to, this baby murdered both the W910 and W960 in two seperate reviews and some others. Between the N81 and W910 guess which phone is STILL getting love from its manufacturer? The N81, V22.0.002 firmware is on its way, and its another major update, with everyone has improved audio quality in N81, weird seeing as the N81 was already VERY reliable and stable after its 2nd fw update way back in late 2007,but unlike SE, NOKIA actualy want to keep their customers and give us new and updated features.
Someone mentioned the N81 would be slow, funny thing is it went the other way, its far snappier even when heavily multitasking than a W910 when its running the Media app W910 now remains one of SEs worst phones together with the K850, last fw update? Mid 2008, shame seeing as both W910 and K850 desperately need one.
Thanx for bumping up this topic HHY2K, got me laughing hard at the hardcore SE fanboys.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
HHY2K
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2009-09-04 17:47
Yes, a great topic! It shows that people have no idea about sound quality including the reviewer. What did he use to listen to this phone? How can you test sound without good listening gear it is beyond me. I am very far away from being a fanboy, as I said, I never even visited this site before. I can't tell anything about the Nokia N81, but I have 4 dedicated portable music players

SHARP Mt77 Minidisc player ($400 in 2000)
IRiver ($150 2003)
CREATIVE ZEN ($100)
iPod Touch 1G ($300)

[SE w910i ($200)]

I would also add my laptop which can use 20 channel EQ, 3D, SRS and what not... All of the above are shadowed by the w910i with a headphone with which you actually can listen to music. (the EX71 included earbuds are not such a headphone, although it is better than any headphone paired with my other gadgets out of the box). I don't know if the w910i has a dedicated music chip or not (it was claimed that it has not), but I don't really care as it sounds so great (I am sure the Touch has one and it didn't benefited from it... it even has a Wolfson chip which is highly praised in the HiFi world). Do not use Megabass, it butchers the sound. I would be very interested how they tested this phone anno, because it is absolutely ridicoulus to say that it is not a music phone as it is exactly where it shines! The build quality is great and it is something you can actually "love" as a gadget. The menu system is slowish and outdated for 2009 but it is great for a phone (and you can help it to make small jpgs for Album covers). But mark my words: The w910i has an incredible sound quality with a great airy sound stage and instrument separation. The bass is rather pushy but in good headphones it is defined. The sound is smooth and velvety for the entire sound spectrum (not harsh like the iPod). I am very curious about the ZUNE HD in two weeks, but I'll take my SE with me to test it and to give it a run for its money, that's for sure! And no, I don't listen to reviews, I listen to music actually played!

Tested with Sennheiser HD 485
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 101112  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic