Previous  123 4 ... 323334  Next
Author Sony Ericsson W960i Review
PeterKay
W995 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-11 23:48
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2007-09-11 22:16:50, benitorios wrote:
let me guess... video recording was at 15fps, QCIF format...

Now my neck hurts from your 1st video , but it's a good hurt! Amazing how fast the applications open, almost as smooth as on a non-smartphone model.

What's the story with the green light turning on? is there a charge indicator next to the Fastport connector like on the P1i? Does this indicator also work as a missed event indicator?

Thanks a lot for the review, was worth waiting and finally see someone use the phone the way it ought to be used, not like in those first reviews right after the announcement!

Sorry about the Video lol, not the best video editor myself but thats what i came up with in a rush, will do it better next time.

Yes there is a charge indicator which is the green light which is a little annoying, hope they sort that out!

matthewf01
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2007-09-12 00:09

On 2007-09-11 22:53:41, matthewf01 wrote:
Hey Peter,

first off thanks a lot for your brief review... I'd consider it a good sign that a stray unit is showing up somewhere, but I'd imagine you worked pretty hard to get ahold of it.... wondering how you pull that off

A few questions...

First off, I've been using SE's A100 interface phones for a few generation models, but I've been interested more recently in the UIQ devices, wanting to somewhat merge what I use a PocketPC for at work (basic calendar stuff, some note-taking with handwriting recog, etc), and my personal stuff (syncing up with Google Calendar...internet, photos etc).

I've got an M600 on loan from a friend to finally get a chance to evaluate the interface... not so much the hardware.. but I do have one question about this as it relates to M600 --- im noticing that earpiece volume on this M is TERRIBLE! Can't hear CRAP. I haven't been following people's experience with this device too closely so I'm not sure if this is an acknowledged issue, but I'm wondering how it compares to those SEs considered to have a good earpiece volume --- K800 is my main phone now, so that's a good reference point I suppose. Any words on that?

Additionally, another member evaluating a unit for Sony Ericsson (jimster71) said that the device does not support the 'Today!' main screen heirarchy menu for calendar/inbox/task events, and only (and ALWAYS) shows the Walkman screen, even when music is not playing. Wondering if this is the same in your unit? I know on this M600 from the main screen I can say More, Preferences, Today, and opt to HIDE it alltogether --- might this be turned on by default, or is it really just GONE?

This is a bit larger a request but... is it possible to post a short video running down the different walkman VISUALIZATIONS? I noticed in Planete-Nokia's pictures of the phone that there are at least 5 or 6 different visualizations that may be applied. Also, can these be set to change dynamically, perhaps I would assume based on MOOD of the music?

Which leads to another question... have you loaded up any music where MOOD information was present? Wondering exactly into how many categories music can be broken down into... also, if I don't want to use the included Sony software (which since yours is proto maybe you dont even have!), and I were syncing with Windows Media Player, if I edited some music in my library and GAVE it a mood (if you right click on a track and open Advanced Tag Editor), would this information be handed off to the Walkman properly, to be sorted? It'd be cool if you could test that --- WMP makes things so easy to sync.

Another question about music... wondering if you could comment on the functionality, both on the HARDWARE and SOFTWARE side, of the music touch keys. In terms of hardware, their tactile feedback (I'd imagine there is NONE -- but now that I think of it, an option for 'vibrate on touch' would be cool), their sensitivity, their effectiveness as the only hardware means of playing/pausing music (since id imagine you can still skip tracks by holding volume keys), and perhaps the evenness of the lighting --- Id noticed in a lot of shots of the phone the lights were looking bad -- yellowish, like bad incandescent. As far as software, wondering if you can confirm what jimster71 said, that the keys are ONLY active when you have music playing in the WALKMAN player or you have the walkman widget HIGHLIGHTED on the standby screen.
I would think it would have been a smarter implementation if these keys were ALWAYS active as long as music was PLAYING -- this way I could control the music while doing anything else on the device without having to A) re-enter the walkman player, or B) exit back to standby, then highlight the walkman widget, then change/pause track.

FINALLY.... anything else different about this unit in terms of software that is different from P1 (and for my reference, I guess different from M600 )

Thanks so much, hope you can get to at least a few of these points!!!

in addition to these questions, also wondering if you can comment about how the WALKMAN player works when using a FINGER rather than the stylus? Some of the first videos that came out with this device showed that SCROLLING THROUGH LISTS (like albums) was not looking too great, the sensitivity seemed like a problem. Have you tried this out?
mobilemodman
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-12 07:52
nice to know that it's camera doesnt have that horrible green tinge problem that the P1 has, hope they fix it soon in the P1, nice review peter, I tried not to drool but hey, makes my P1 look bad
benitorios
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2007-09-12 09:21

Today screen has GONE, well on this proto it has. Only has the shortcuts button and main menu now.

Mmm i asked this question on the Planete-SE forum yesterday, and i was told that you can actually activate the Today screen (or drop-down list actually), like on M600 and P1i... This info comes from a senior member of Planete-SE who's had the W960 for like 2-3 months. Can you pls double-check whether it can be turned on somewhere in the Settings? It'd be a shame to be stuck with the "Walkman" frame in standby mode... I know matthewf is also eagerly waiting for an answer on this one
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-12 09:42
Hi Peter, thanks for the great initial review! I'd like to ask about the screen... does it flex when touching it? Is it like the iPhone? (hard glass/plastic)

Would you know if it works via capacitive or resistive technology?

Thanks again!

I hope this phone comes out real soon!!!! My P910i is dying on me already! hehehehe

**I love the sleek and minimal backlight colors... I've grown tired of all the multi-color (blue, green, red, white) keypads and car stereo buttons that are present in almost all products now**

[ This Message was edited by: jplacson on 2007-09-12 08:49 ]
jung
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2007-09-12 10:12
excellent mini review peter.
i would like to ask if this phone has the same quick office functionality as the p1, and are there any features missing from the w960 that the p1 has, aside from the today screen?
QVGA
Nokia Lumia 1020
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-12 10:17
Is the audio quality through earphones any better than W950? I am not talking about loudness, but the 'quality' the lows and the high ends.
icaka
T610
PM
Posted: 2007-09-12 10:38

On 2007-09-12 10:17:09, QVGA wrote:
Is the audio quality through earphones any better than W950? I am not talking about loudness, but the 'quality' the lows and the high ends.

Yeah,I asked that too.You said brilliant.But how is it compared to the W950i's?

[ This Message was edited by: icaka on 2007-09-12 09:40 ]
PeterKay
W995 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-12 11:01
To be honest i have not used headphones on the W950i but on the W960i the quality seems pretty good, crystal clear i must admit!
cristiano
K810 Blue
PM
Posted: 2007-09-12 11:34
what's the battery of w960 ?
Li-Po 900 mAh (BST-33)?
or same as P1
PeterKay
W995 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-12 11:43
few more answers:

Screen does not flex and is very strong as i said before its not like previous touchscreen models by

Today Screen i cannot find anywhere!!

Quickoffice is available in the Organizer section.

Scrolling through the feature is very easy whether its by finger or stylus, more tests being carried out.

this phone is LOUD...
jung
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2007-09-12 11:49
one other question (although slightly not relevant) i've never used opera mobile before, only opera mini. how does opera mobile on the w960 compare to this- is it a full html browser, or wap only like the k800 inbuilt broswer?
PeterKay
W995 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-12 11:50

On 2007-09-12 11:34:37, cristiano wrote:
Li-Po 900 mAh (BST-33)?
or same as P1

Battery with this proto is the BST-33
Li-Polymer 3.6v
950mAh
cristiano
K810 Blue
PM
Posted: 2007-09-12 11:51

On 2007-09-12 11:50:10, PeterKay wrote:

On 2007-09-12 11:34:37, cristiano wrote:
Li-Po 900 mAh (BST-33)?
or same as P1

Battery with this proto is the BST-33
Li-Polymer 3.6v
950mAh

so the final version will have better battry ?
PeterKay
W995 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-12 11:55
Possibly!

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 4 ... 323334  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic