Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > I was so sure about the W960i. until the 8GB N95 announcement.

Author I was so sure about the W960i. until the 8GB N95 announcement.
borisisinvin
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2007-10-28 04:21
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I was definitely leaning more towards the W960 a while ago, however after reading up and researching all of Nokia's upcoming service plans, like N-Gage and Ovi to name a few, I'm really really leaning more towards getting the N95 8GB now.... It just seems to me that the hardware, software, and supplemental services on the N-Series phones are WAY WAY more robust than any of Sony Ericsson's smart phone offerings. I read a quote by a Nokia high muckey muck somewhere online that said something to the effect that "the days of getting bored with your phone are done"! And too be honest, after reading all of the stuff on the net about Nokia's upcoming mobile phone plans it sounds true! I really wholeheartedly believe them... I'm a little bored with my W850i and am eargerly anticipating something new that'll keep me busy for a long while. I mean, I'll miss Sony Ericsson's Track ID feature, cool Sony Ericsson exclusive add-on hardware (I love my MPS-75 speakers), and superb Walkman software; however everything else considered, I can't help but feel that maybe the Nokia will be a better buy. I think that they'll both cost the same when they finally start shipping the W960i, so I just can't justify to myself purchasing a W960i over a Nokia N95 8GB.... I've also just realized that after the ability to listen to music on my phone (I'll admit it though, I'm really interested in the new walkman features on the W960 like all of the new playlist creation options and categories), and obviously aside from making phone calls, playing games is probably the second most used feature I use on a cell phone. Playing games on the W960 looks like it's going to be a nightmare! I hate having to use the number pad on cell phones to play games! The N95 has a D-pad and Nokia's N-Gage sounds awesome! I hope it turns out like a paired down Xbox Live or something!

[ This Message was edited by: borisisinvin on 2007-10-28 03:23 ]
borisisinvin
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2007-11-05 07:50
Well, I just ordered my N95 8GB on eBay today and am really really excited! Poking around Nokia's site for software and support in anticipation of what I may need to get my phone up and running I was really surprised to see all of the support Nokia offers for Macs! I'm a Mac user, and after owning a Sony Ericsson phone for so long, am really surprised to see just how robust their offerings are! It's really nice to see that some phone manufacturers actually support other platforms other than PCs. Nokia's website even provide users with plug-ins for all of their phones (if needed) that in turn allows each phone to sync with iTunes using iTunes! I mean it won't play DRM protected music, but still, I can create playlist on my Mac for the first time ever and then have them synced to my phone using iTunes on my Mac! I'm not talking about an iPhone here either, just in case you were confused, but my upcoming N95 8GB! Too bad Sony Ericsson doesn't offer this type of support. I don't even have to buy an iPhone and settle with one of ATT's horrible rate plans to get this all! I'm really excited!
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-05 08:53
@borisisinvin

Congratulations on your new purchase despite what the SE Fans would like you to believe i think you have made the right choice, as the one you have chosen has the fastest processor found in any Symbian device the OMAP2420 @330Mmhz not forgetting also VGA Video @30fps which also means better playback on the larger better 16million colour screen. Also not only 128mb Ram but also demand paging that makes your device faster and use the RAM more efficiently, a 3.5m jack to plug your favorite headphones into and a really good Music Player and possibly the best browser found in any device only bettered by the iPhone. Also a great catalogue of both free and paid for apps to customize your device how you want it and of course as you mentioned better MAC compatibility. At least for your money you are getting all the latest spec not nearly 3 year old hardware and the only thing you lose is a Touchscreen.

Marc

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-11-05 07:55 ]
>500
Vivaz Black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-05 09:00
@marc
you keep using the words fans...... why. who cares what they think, honestly!

And about the processors, how many consumers do you think actually care bout it?
G00gler
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-11-05 09:00

... and the only thing you lose is a Touchscreen.

... and multitasking with the ability to cut and paste...

But anyway, seems like you are happy so far, let us know how you go! It would be nice to know if the 8GB version has addressed the issues from the 4GB version properly.
technical-expert
W595 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-05 09:12

On 2007-11-05 09:00:41, G00gler wrote:

... and the only thing you lose is a Touchscreen.

... and multitasking with the ability to cut and paste...

But anyway, seems like you are happy so far, let us know how you go! It would be nice to know if the 8GB version has addressed the issues from the 4GB version properly.

Quotes form all about symbian

"A big thumbs up overall though. Nokia has listened carefully to the feedback coming from early N95 users and has addressed just about every criticism and done it in style"

"Is this the best smartphone ever made? Yes. You could even drop the 'smart' bit and call it the 'best phone ever made"
CoolDuck
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-11-05 09:12

On 2007-09-09 07:38:27, borisisinvin wrote:

OS and Interface:
It sounds like the edge belongs to the N95. Almost all of the reviewers for the original N95's OS have praised it, with some even calling it fully a "matured" OS. The P1i's OS with the UIQ 3 on the other hand... to put it plainly, I've read it seriously pales in comparison and has serious flaws (seriously, how much could/would they change it from the P1i for the W960i? Logic reasons that the OS will be essentially the same as the P1i's but with the walkman player tacked on? True? Not true? Any W950i owners out there that can tell me different, or more about their experience with the original handset? Plus, what about the P990i, M600 and W950i fiasco? Is the OS stable yet? I've read some horror stories about those handsets and Sony's customer service. Is the P1i's OS better than the P990i or M600? P1i users? This makes me really hesitant to buy a Sony Ericsson smart phone...) Though I do have to admit that hand writing recognition sounds really cool and tempting (I've always hated typing on a number pad for email or text messages).

I've owned the N95, and currently own a P1i. The P1i is a better device if you rely on the PIM functions. Selecting, cutting and pasting text is easier, navigating the calendar and editing appointments is more convenient. I find S60 tiresome to navigate. I cannot understand how people can buy for instance the E90, having to frenetically push the D-pad to get anywhere. Btw, the task manager on the P1i is more convenient too (map it to the @-button), and the phone is very stable.

CD

[ This Message was edited by: CoolDuck on 2007-11-05 08:25 ]

[ This Message was edited by: CoolDuck on 2007-11-05 08:26 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi