Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > I was so sure about the W960i. until the 8GB N95 announcement.

Author I was so sure about the W960i. until the 8GB N95 announcement.
mobman
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2007-09-10 10:44
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
On the topic of N95 returns - has any1 else noticed that o2 are selling reconditioned N95 handsets on their official website as well as the standard ones. This is the first time i've ever seen a major network having to do this, they must have a heck of alot of returned handsets to sell.
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-10 10:49

On 2007-09-09 19:52:02, Prom1 wrote:
(...)
How can one prefer the "OS" of the W960i and state that the N95's "OS" is crap?

..could be because they refer how the core functions (phone- tools, connections, message- app, etc.) are implemented, and how they operate when running at the same time? It's not as easy as just saying Symbian is the same no matter what, either - the extends and implementations of apis are different.

Maybe it would be more correct to say something like.. the n95 with s60 implementation of symbian loses to the uiq- implementations in some respects. When it comes to battery- consumption and problems with multitask and so on, for instance. Since that couldn't really be anything else except how uiq uses symbian OS to drive tasks. And then perhaps s60 makes up for that in response- time, and so on.
mode
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2007-09-10 11:25

On 2007-09-10 10:24:19, mib1800 wrote:
When one person put up some unverified figure of return rate, then all the diehard SE fans take it like it is accurate representation. Let me tell you the real truth. A very reliable source said that the return rate of P1i is actually 60% and N95 is 6%.

DITTO. A humbling experience ain't it?
mobman
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2007-09-10 12:06
if the return rate isn't high then why are reputable companies like o2 resorting to selling reconditioned handsets?

[ This Message was edited by: mobman on 2007-09-10 11:07 ]
jkthewarrior
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-09-10 12:19
Id just like to mention that my p1i runs superbly with no issues and i have no clue what people are saying about "green tint"on my p1i camera.....there is none! With all the apps running on the p1i it is far faster than my N95.
Battery life with GPS is not a problem with the N95 as mine came bundled with an in car charger so its not an issue unless your hiking or something! In actual fact i prefer using my P1i with tom tom 6 and a gps receiver than the n95 but thats just my preference. Sound quality wise i got rid of my walkman in favour of the p1i with the w950i headphones, the sound quality is amazing. Using Internet on the P1i is much easier aswell due to the touch screen. But the N95 is better for mobile internet if your using the N95 as a modem due HSDPA speeds.
Camera Still picture quality is marginally better on the N95 but its slow to take the stills. P1i is quicker again.
Nothing can touch the N95 for video quality...Excellent.
Games wise: P1i touch screen games like skyforce, tile lander, krally, intersteller flames 2, vjay sing pro golf, ball shooter, herocraft arcade park, happy lines all work perfectly. I also use pico drive (megadrive emulator) which is easy to use with the touch screen and qwerty keyboard. Although for None touch screen games the N95 is easier to use.
I didnt really find the battery life on the n95 too much of a problem but the p1i is far better.
P1i is easier for sending short emails and short documents/spreadsheets again due to touch screen....
P1i fits better in my pocket, The N95s (i think this is mainly my fault) Screen seems to be loose but i think this is because of the small pockets i have in some of my Jeans. (Not a problem though as i can get a replacement.)

Overall the two phones have their pros and cons but for my needs the P1i definately without a doubt came on top, and with 8gb m2 mem sticks around the corner im even more satisfied,
Good luck in your choice!
myth®
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2007-09-10 12:20
@mib

Thanks for your efforts to enlighten us on facts, but we are all aware that these are not global stats, but only those of one reseller, who's shared his experience with us.

But these figures seem very realistic to me and I'm sure that the global stats are not much different.

As for the figures you have mentioned in your post, we thank you for sharing your private stats with us

P.S. I am not a SE fanboy, btw, but I can't tolerate the cheap, crappy, wobbling, toy-like feeling of a device in my hands, especially if I have to spend hard earned $$$ for it. Not even if it would perform every task @ light speed.
HTC HD2 [16 GB] + SE HBH-DS980
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-10 12:21
I don't know.. I've heard the same thing from a shop nearby.. but they've probably sold fifty units of all the smartphones put together over the counter this year, so.. And I thought that it just had to do with Nokia- people being a bit too picky or something. But.. they said they had everything from people just being unhappy with the battery, to people having "broken" units. That were locking up and so on. And that they sent back for service (which doesn't say they're actually broken in the first place, of course, so that's why I didn't think it meant anything. And you get a special kind of customer going to the store to buy a smartphone, maybe, and so on... still..). ..And, when I hear some Nokia fans speak about the n95, I really wonder how many didn't return their devices, even though they maybe should..

Anyway. Anyone know if maybe the major chains keep track of numbers like this from all their shops?

[ This Message was edited by: Nipsen on 2007-09-10 11:35 ]
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2007-09-10 12:26
Interesting that people are throwing figures or stats around without providing proof as to where they come from. Maybe I should come up with my own figures. This blind defence of either of the companies is misleading, someone needs to make an informed decision out of members' input not get confused.
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-10 12:32
Right. Obviously this is at best a reason to try to get hold of the actual figures. And says nothing about how well or bad the units work if they're in top condition. And the return- figures could be about taste - people buying the N95 maybe wasn't happy about how it looks and feels. While SE could very well have more loyal customers, and customers who know what they buy on beforehand (..all right, maybe not.. ).
mode
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2007-09-10 13:43
Funny how a certain individual doesn't practice what he preaches about winning at all cost, seeming even more of a fanboy himself to the point of fabricating 3rd party facts against a 1st person account. Very sad.
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-10 14:01
... Isn't it fair to just say.. be careful with the purchase, and try it on beforehand, to make sure the unit works well, and in the way you expect it to? You're not buying two by fours, either.
mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-09-10 14:32

On 2007-09-10 12:20:18, myth® wrote:
@mib

Thanks for your efforts to enlighten us on facts, but we are all aware that these are not global stats, but only those of one reseller, who's shared his experience with us.

But these figures seem very realistic to me and I'm sure that the global stats are not much different.

As for the figures you have mentioned in your post, we thank you for sharing your private stats with us

"My figure and the global stats are not much difference either. Want proof? Ok no problem here it is. I am a phone reseller also. I have sold three P1i and 1 were return due to camera fault, 1 were returned because buyer exchanged it for a more expensive N95. So my P1i return rate is 66%. And I have also sold 1000 N95 and 60 were returned due to user not satisfied with wobbly slider and other problems. N95 return rate is therefore 6%"

So IF you believe the other stat to be true, then you have NO choice but to believe mine is also true. . .

P.S. I am not a SE fanboy, btw, but I can't tolerate the cheap, crappy, wobbling, toy-like feeling of a device in my hands, especially if I have to spend hard earned $$$ for it. Not even if it would perform every task @ light speed.

I am not a Nokia fanboy btw I cant tolerate over-priced cum obsoleted technology phones if I have to spend my hard earned $$$ for it.
mode
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2007-09-10 15:53
Like I said, very sad.
jakontil
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2007-09-10 16:29
unless the N95 8GB version uses the same GPS chip as on 6110 navigator, it'd be useless on the GPS point of view.

the wise thing to do is to wait until both products come to live, and we all might want to decide

judging on anything that is unavailable, may make some children cry aloud
QVGA
Nokia Lumia 1020
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-10 17:09

On 2007-09-10 16:29:43, jakontil wrote:
unless the N95 8GB version uses the same GPS chip as on 6110 navigator, it'd be useless on the GPS point of view.

the wise thing to do is to wait until both products come to live, and we all might want to decide

judging on anything that is unavailable, may make some children cry aloud

I dont know how the availability of W960 will change anything. We all know it runs on the exact same platform as P990/W950 with a 3.2MP camera attached to it, which again is similar to P1. So its fair to judge the W960
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi