Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > P1i vs N95

Author P1i vs N95
sunking101
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-08-24 13:56
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2007-08-24 13:40:48, mib1800 wrote:
No matter how good you think the P1i is, it is still not good enough because it lacks 3rd party software support. Smartphone without software = normal phone.

To me all smartphones (at the moment) are just 'luxury' mobile phones for gadget geeks. I don't use mine different to any other mobile, other than browsing the web in bed over wifi. For anything more demanding I'll just get my laptop out.
DragonEye
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-08-24 14:15

On 2007-08-24 13:40:48, mib1800 wrote:
No matter how good you think the P1i is, it is still not good enough because it lacks 3rd party software support. Smartphone without software = normal phone.

can you give me a run down of apps you have on the n95 that you use?

i'll try a few that i installed... i probably installed a lot more of other ones but didn't find them useful at all

handytask
smartmovie
divx player
lgemusic player
agile messenger
documents to go
emulators- vnes, snes
opera mini

-------------

everything i listed there is available for uiq3 as the same app or a variant...

a lot of smartphones today don't even need a lot of apps anymore cause they do everything out of the box...

Shaolinmonk on HOFO Official PHONE JUNKIE
My P1i Review
http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=152437&start=0
mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-08-24 18:05
tenshi888

still can't believe the horrible build quality of the N95. For a flagship phone, heck, even just as a phone, there is no excuse for that kind of build quality. The gaps in the side of the screen's housing, the slider wobbling

Why are you harping on this old issue? All these (wobbly etc) have been rectified in newer batches. It is no longer a problem.

The battery life is also really bad, you have to turn off 3G just to make it last a full day. I cannot see how anyone can claim it lasts them more than a day unless they switch it off at night.

I dont see how any1 can claim what you claimed (unless you on wifi/gps all the time). My N95 battery last a minimum 1.5 days (without switching off) on 3G with moderate to heavy use.

navigation was good BUT there is a well-known hiss using the headphones. A2DP stutters.

Are you refering to hiss/static when the music player is switching track? There is no hiss when the music is playing.

The camera was also pretty good but it took so long just to start it up and take a shot, most times the moment has passed.

Welcome to the club. From review I read, P1i camera is also laggard in starting (3+secs). N95 is not worse than this. P1i saving a photo is something like 5secs which is worse than N95 considering it is only saving a 3Mp photo.

DragonEye

I am saying that there are more software developed for S60/WM than UIQ3. This means the potential for customisation/expandability is much better for s60

Add-on software that I use often:-

Handyprofiles - timed/calendar/cell-based automatic profile switching
IVCM - call filtering/manager/answering machine
ProfiMail
Ultimate Recording - phone conversation recording
DIY Theme
Window Live IM
SMS Chat - thread based sms system
Tracker
SMS Talk
Morange
Yahoo Go
TeamSuite
Fring

DragonEye
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-08-24 18:13

On 2007-08-24 18:05:47, mib1800 wrote:

ProfiMail
DIY Theme
Window Live IM
Tracker
SMS Talk
Morange
Yahoo Go
TeamSuite
Fring

you know your list is pretty much available for uiq3... except for a few.... no threadbased app yet and team suite.. the other have alternatives...

camera speed (capture and saving) on the p1i and n95 is the same.. both phones will miss "kodak moments.... the n93i camera is super fast.. but it's a shame that camera sucks lol

hiss is there when you use 3.5 headphones

battery is poor and you know it... lol even nokia knows it that's why you're getting a much needed boost..I've personally used about 3 different n95's at different times now with different firmwares and the battery at best through my regular usage gets me to night time...8-9 before i need to charge...

the slide has been fixed but it's still "weak" in the build quality department...

the new n95 coming is suppose to have better build...

[ This Message was edited by: DragonEye on 2007-08-24 17:14 ]
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-08-24 19:57
@DragonEye

Sorry but whilst that may be your opinion and findings that most certainly wasn't mine. The build quality on my N95 was fine no problems at all the slider was firm and solid as was the feel of the whole phone If you think i am making it up ask Mutleboy who recently bought it off me and I'm sure will confirm how good the build quality is.

The music playback was nothing short of stunning using my Shure headphones plugged straight in defiantly no hiss or distortion at all and at 70% volume was very loud i accept some N95's may of had this problem but most defiantly not all of them and a lot of these issues where corrected after the first production run.

I also had no issues with battery life either a charge each night was more than sufficient and i listened to approx 3hrs of Music a day and used WiFi heavily for both Web browsing and Skype calls over Fring although if i made a car journey i did use a in car charger for a top up .To be honest seeing that over 1.5 million of this phone has been sold the amount of people with problems is relatively small especially in comparison to the pages and pages of problems reported by P1 users in such a short time and with a lot less phones being sold as well.

No device is perfect and certainly no device is perfect for everyone but all this constant bashing of certain devices just because they don't come from some ones preferred manufacturer is really beginning to get very tedious now.
As lets face it if even half the problems that some are so happy to spout about the N95 were the norm i really doubt this device could of sold and continue to sell so well.

As for the camera sucking on the N93i please get real although i had a N93 the camera in everything but low light conditions was excellent and is one of the only camera's to have 3x optical zoom on a phone. The only camera from SE that even comes close is the K850 in low light conditions due to the Xenon flash and is certainly in a different class to the reports coming out about the P1's camera and all it's problems.

Also from a lot of posts here the P1's build qaulity is also questionable at best and at least the Nokia's camera's don't stop working within a week either and most of the Flagship Nokia devices are made in Finland not as in the case of the P1 which is no longer made in France like previous devices but now made in China.

Lastly just look at the spec of the N95 the best and fastest processor found in any Symbian device along with a full graphics processor for VGA video recording and better quality playback on a beautiful 16 million colour screen with all the latest technology. Whilst the P1 is still based on the same old technology as first announced for the P990 nothing new there except for an extra 64mb Ram to help mask the still present memory leak and still has many of the P990 bugs.

Marc

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-08-24 19:47 ]
DragonEye
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-08-24 21:39
Marc... did you know the s60 has memory leaks too? I'll post my video tonight and you can check it out...

these aren't only my observations...
the n95 has build issues it's well known..the slide is not as bad now but has been "fixed" lol or you could fix it yourself by opening your phone and taping it as people were doing before.. that screams quality to me...

battery complaints are common of the n95 as well...and honestly the people that defend it are saying "it's sufficient" that's very different then the battery life is very good... i thought you had standards? seems like you're accepting a C+ battery life vs. A+ battery life.

i've seen plenty of bug reports for the n95.
hissing, crashing, buttons not registering... bugs will always exist and firmwares are there to fix them right? lol hardware failures have been more common lately as well.. anyone replace a LCD screen lately?

and honestly you keep measuring sales of a product as an indicator of success then the razr and apple jebus iphone must be better then anything every created...after all they sell like crazy....

why is nokia updating the n95 so soon if it's not flawed?

at the end of the day nokia released a super phone and shot themselves in the foot be crippling it with insufficent ram, battery and build..great prototype device.. they should have told us it was really the n95-beta and we could have saved our money for the n95-8gig..

oh well you can get n95us and n95-8gig coming out soon.. and we can look back at the n95 just like the n80 fisaco..

all companies screw the customers over and nokia is no different...

and Marc.. a nokia product is a nokia product you shouldn't be making excuses for poor quality control if it's not made in finland...and from my experience i have seen no variation in the quality....and it's utter nonsense to suggest the builds vary...we already have enough users that walk around with made in finland on their phones with a superiorty complex.. would you like me to sell you a made in finland sticker?

Lol Marc you and I have to butt heads at least once a day it seems...

[ This Message was edited by: DragonEye on 2007-08-24 20:52 ]

[ This Message was edited by: DragonEye on 2007-08-24 21:17 ]
sunking101
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-08-25 00:57
N95 slider fixed? You're having a laugh! My friend bought one LAST WEEK and the build quality is just as bad as the one I looked at a couple of months ago. The design & materials are exactly the same, how are they miraculously going to alter the build quality of the N95 without completely redesigning it??? It is built like a toy, end of. When Nokia start building the N-Series out of proper materials and to a decent standard I will have another look. Until then I'm a P1i user. NO, the build quality isn't perfect but it's ACCEPTABLE. The N95 isn't anywhere near acceptable to me. It's a crying shame because it's a great phone but in the casing of a cheap kid's pretend phone.
Dextrr
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-08-25 04:10
Dogmann:

How dare you compare the N95 with the likes of ahead-of-its-time devices like the P990 and P1i. The N95 is too way buggy, flawed and "cheap" and no one is happy with it but people are still buying it. They must be stupid!

BTW, my P990 barely lasts me a day. How come? It does'nt have The N95's 309mhz ARM11 processor, GPS, HSDPA or even a 16Mil screen? It must have a Nokia N95 battery in it, right?
Dextrr
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-08-25 04:16

On 2007-08-25 00:57:48, sunking101 wrote:
N95 slider fixed? You're having a laugh! My friend bought one LAST WEEK and the build quality is just as bad as the one I looked at a couple of months ago. The design & materials are exactly the same, how are they miraculously going to alter the build quality of the N95 without completely redesigning it??? It is built like a toy, end of. When Nokia start building the N-Series out of proper materials and to a decent standard I will have another look. Until then I'm a P1i user. NO, the build quality isn't perfect but it's ACCEPTABLE. The N95 isn't anywhere near acceptable to me. It's a crying shame because it's a great phone but in the casing of a cheap kid's pretend phone.

Is SE's super duper flagship "smartphone" P990i acceptable to you, sir? It sure has a solid feel and excellent quality materials, I'm not too sure about the software part or support?!

The N95's build quality is more than acceptable! It feels the same as my N73 which wasn't too shabby and served me well for almost a year.

I am eagerly looking forward for the BLACK N95 8gb, might be my next phone if the price is right!
mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-08-25 06:36

On 2007-08-24 18:13:10, DragonEye wrote:

ProfiMail
DIY Theme
Window Live IM
Tracker
SMS Talk
Morange
Yahoo Go
TeamSuite
Fring

you know your list is pretty much available for uiq3... except for a few.... no threadbased app yet and team suite.. the other have alternatives...

camera speed (capture and saving) on the p1i and n95 is the same.. both phones will miss "kodak moments.... the n93i camera is super fast.. but it's a shame that camera sucks lol

hiss is there when you use 3.5 headphones

battery is poor and you know it... lol even nokia knows it that's why you're getting a much needed boost..I've personally used about 3 different n95's at different times now with different firmwares and the battery at best through my regular usage gets me to night time...8-9 before i need to charge...

the slide has been fixed but it's still "weak" in the build quality department...

the new n95 coming is suppose to have better build...

[ This Message was edited by: DragonEye on 2007-08-24 17:14 ]

You forgot some of the most useful like auto profile switching and call recording/answering is currently not available or supported by uiq3.

On mine there is hiss between track or when I press buttons on the phone. This is most probably due to interference from the electronics and/or switching of background process when music is playing. The most important is the music player/chip do NOT produce hiss in the output when you are listening to music (unlike some SE W-series). There is no hiss on mine when the music is playing either thru the 3.5jack or a2DP

Yes, battery is on the poor side if you compared to non-smartphone. Then again the P1i and P990 battery is also poor based on your N95 usage pattern.

If you expect N95 built quality to be as good as 8800 then you are in for a disappointment. As long as the built is durable over the long term that's enough. P1i has more solid built but so what since camera module starts failing not long after you bought it. Early buyers of N95 complains about the wobbly slider but no one has reported that the slider stopped working.

@sunking

Are you sure your friend didnt buy an old stock N95? A few of my friends bought recently and all of them have good non-wobbly slider. And I am quite certain Nokia did some changes to the slide mechanism. Mine is from the very first batch (but I have no wobbly slider) and the slide mechanism feels different from my friends newer N95.

jakontil
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2007-08-25 07:55
lol dextrr!! u r a clown!!! what a waste!

n95 poor built quality that makes me sell it, a gap on the body is not tolerable, now you are comparing to p990 battery, which lasted may be less then a day, where if u use n95 only less than half a day, lol!!!

some people call it brain?
I capturing sexy women on the beach
I

This message was posted from an iphone
Dextrr
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-08-25 09:48

On 2007-08-25 07:55:41, jakontil wrote:

n95 poor built quality that makes me sell it, a gap on the body is not tolerable, now you are comparing to p990 battery, which lasted may be less then a day, where if u use n95 only less than half a day, lol!!!

Thanks for your personal attack and after calling me a "clown" I didn't bother reading the rest of your post.

I really started to think this was a mature discussion forum. How wrong I am sometimes ... lol

Anyway back to topic now:

The P990 is SE's biggest failure! Just add a little bit more RAM and repackage it all nice and shiny, what do you get? The P1i! No way I'm paying $500 for 64mb extra ram!

Like I said before, we all complain about the N95's battery life. When SE can make something even close to the mind boggling specs of the N95 then you folks can compare them and argue about who's battery lasts longer. And now with the rumored 1200Mah N95 8gb battery, the N95 is even more of a "MUST BUY" for any tech addict!

jakontil
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2007-08-25 10:49

On 2007-08-25 09:48:12, Dextrr wrote:

On 2007-08-25 07:55:41, jakontil wrote:

Thanks for your personal attack and after calling me a "clown" I didn't bother reading the rest of your post.

I really started to think this was a mature discussion forum. How wrong I am sometimes ... lol

Anyway back to topic now:

The P990 is SE's biggest failure! Just add a little bit more RAM and repackage it all nice and shiny, what do you get? The P1i! No way I'm paying $500 for 64mb extra ram!

Like I said before, we all complain about the N95's battery life. When SE can make something even close to the mind boggling specs of the N95 then you folks can compare them and argue about who's battery lasts longer. And now with the rumored 1200Mah N95 8gb battery, the N95 is even more of a "MUST BUY" for any tech addict!

rofl!!! u thought it was a mature discussion forum? rofl! now u r talking alrite, anyway, it's true and i have to agree with you, by all means p990i is quite a failure, in which se should be ashamed of, everyone is aware of it. but u can't blame a p990i battery for it lasts longer than a n95 in real life? and p990i was made by at least a better quality of materials that leaves no thin hair gap n etc. and that everyone knows that too

sure i'd like to get the n95 us or 8gb ver, provided it sorts out the built quality and battery life, at least to my usage. it will b a cracker!
I capturing sexy women on the beach
I

This message was posted from an iphone
tenshi888
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-08-25 12:27
[quote]
tenshi888

still can't believe the horrible build quality of the N95. For a flagship phone, heck, even just as a phone, there is no excuse for that kind of build quality. The gaps in the side of the screen's housing, the slider wobbling

Why are you harping on this old issue? All these (wobbly etc) have been rectified in newer batches. It is no longer a problem.

Well I'm just recounting my experience. I have not checked recently but mine was really horrible NOTHING at all to compare to the build quality of the P990 much less the P1i. My P1i is built really well.

The battery life is also really bad, you have to turn off 3G just to make it last a full day. I cannot see how anyone can claim it lasts them more than a day unless they switch it off at night.

I dont see how any1 can claim what you claimed (unless you on wifi/gps all the time). My N95 battery last a minimum 1.5 days (without switching off) on 3G with moderate to heavy use.

Then you are really lucky with your unit. There are no N95 users on the web that claim this same kind of battery life, makes me wonder what kind of real world usage you have i.e. talk time, music playing.

Are you refering to hiss/static when the music player is switching track? There is no hiss when the music is playing.

There is a well documented hiss, anytime is a quiet section in a track or in between tracks you will hear a loud hiss, check the N95 forums on this there are so many people discussing this. If you don't have it or don't hear it then good for you.

The camera was also pretty good but it took so long just to start it up and take a shot, most times the moment has passed.

Welcome to the club. From review I read, P1i camera is also laggard in starting (3+secs). N95 is not worse than this. P1i saving a photo is something like 5secs which is worse than N95 considering it is only saving a 3Mp photo.

Do you actually own a P1i? Its much faster between shots, it takes a while to start up but once started you can keep the camera running in the background at all times as well. I will concede that the N95 took much better shots than the P1i.

I really, really hope that Nokia have improved their quality on the latest builds of the N95 but mine wasn't even that old. I had a 6300 loved it and thought Nokia had their act together, bought the N95 and was just horrified. I just don't wish it upon anyone else to make that mistake and I really hope to call Nokia out on such a shabby job on such an expensive phone. I don't get why anyone who has paid good money and made the same mistake would lead others to have the wrong impression about it. Build quality sucks, battery sucks, period.

[ This Message was edited by: tenshi888 on 2007-08-25 11:38 ]
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-08-25 12:36
@Dextrr

You really are a comedian the P990 has the honor of possibly being the most buggy phone ever released in the History of phones it's spec was up to date when announced but nearly a year later was well out of date when released. Your beloved P1 is nothing more than a P990 with an extra 64mb RAM you really are living in a fantasy world if you consider the P990 to be a quality product.

The N95 has a 332mhz processor and the full version of the graphics chip whilst the P990 and P1 have the light version hence no VGA video recording. I suggest you read the hundreds if not thousands of posts on this very Forum about all the problems people have suffered over the last year with their P990's before making such unsupportable statements. Also look at all the complaints in just a matter of weeks about the P1 also.

As for the battery on the P990 it didn't even ship with the battery it was announced to be shipped with and just now a year later this battery has arrived. The P990 has many more problems than just a lack of Ram it has badly written code and has followed over straight into the P1 i really do suggest you read all the complaints from users before making these absurd claims and calling a P990 class leading and ahead of it's time is just one of the funniest things i have read for ages. you clearly are delusional and out of touch with reality, no HSDPA, no Edge , No VGA video recording and the list goes on. The P990 was a great device when announced but quite simply it failed to deliver anything like what it promised and those are the opinions of people that bought one and feel severely cheated by SE.

You may not like the N95 and no says you have to either but to claim the P990 and P1 are more advanced makes you look ever so silly, think before you post and post based on facts not emotions as obviously like many others you love SE but SE have failed to treat their customers with respect hence stopping Firmware support for the P990 within year that only changed because they were forced to by the outcry and protest from their loyal supporters.

@Dragon Eye

Please show me anywhere i have stated that all N95's are perfect and without fault go on anywhere. The reason i mention how many have been sold and are still selling is to show as a % of units sold the amount with problems is small that is all. Yes you are completely right all products should be released with out fault and with perfect build quality and in an ideal world this is what should happen. Unfortunately we live in a far from ideal world. Again look at the relatively small numbers of P1's sold in this short time since launch and yet all the complaints that are already appearing all over this Forum covers coming off the keys, battery cover and other parts squeaking. cameras failing to work any longer, poor image quality, problems getting WiFi to work and it still exhibits some of the same bugs and problems as the P990 whose firmware this device is based on.

You are correct the N95 as all Symbian 9.1/9.2 devices do indeed suffer from some memory leaks the difference being the N95 starts with over 20mb of Ram and even with the leak remains at 19mb odd after closing programs. Compare that to the P990 that only starts with is 16 or 17mb and will fall all the way down to 7-8mb that's quite a difference you would have to agree. The only reason this is not of any importance in the P1 is SE added another 64mb to hide this problem but it's still there not cured is it?

Marc

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-08-25 12:10 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic