Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > How satisfied are you with your SE P990i?

Previous  123 ... 8 91011  Next
Author How satisfied are you with your SE P990i?
AbuBasim
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2007-07-07 06:47
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@bangsters:
Although there are no officially unlocked iPhones, there is a hack for bypassing the activation process. Try Google.
BBS
P990
PM
Posted: 2007-07-07 07:14
I had reported some problem with my P990i on July 4 in this thread. Here is some more.

Two things happened again:
1. I found on July 6 (around 10:00 AM) that the phone was completely shut down. I forgot to switch the phone off as I usually do in the previous night. But the phone was fully charged in the evening of July 4 and it was just switched on in July 5 morning - flight mode and WiFi enabled. Received and deleted Exchange ActiveSync messages. That is there was no heavy use demanding ton of juice. Reason of shut-down: Battery level 0%.

I charged the phone whole day with USB charger. Battery level was 83% when the USB cable was disconnected. Phone was in flight mode and WiFi enabled as mentioned above. I heard the phone restart sound after about 15 minutes after I put the phone in its case and in the bag. I selected the phone mode and WiFi was switched-off. Then I used the phone for voice call for about 20 minutes.

I did not switch off the phone on July 6 evening on purpose. This time phone was in phone mode. I checked the phone today morning (July 7) at about 11:00 the phone was still On and the battery level about 50%.

I am wondering, does the phone consume more power during flight mode with WiFi enabled than in phone mode with WiFi disabled?

P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-07-08 17:36
@bbs: yes, actually is logical that Wi-Fi consumes more...
Close the wi-fi at nite and you'll see improvement.
" They say i'm sick; they`re right, it's called 'Terminal Boredom!' "
Follow me on twitter.com/bograma
Read my Symbian UIQ 3.0 reviews at Juvo's
BBS
P990
PM
Posted: 2007-07-08 17:51

On 2007-07-08 17:36:50, 701 wrote:
@bbs: yes, actually is logical that Wi-Fi consumes more...
Close the wi-fi at nite and you'll see improvement.

@701, yes you are right. When the phone is left On overnight in phone mode with WiFi disabled, there is surprisingly more juice left in the battery. But I still don't understand why the phone consumes less power while it was receiving messages via WiFi in day time than in night time without any access to hot spot? Was it trying to connect to some hot spots it detected? I had noticed that battery level was O.K. when I left office in around 21:00 hours and it was found shut down next morning at around 10:00. But I have no idea when it was actually shut down.
corrado85
M600 white
PM
Posted: 2007-07-08 17:56
does anyone else have the time changes in their txt messages?

My Phone's clock time is correct but when i receive a text message it shows a different time! only started occurring after i did the r6 update.
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-07-08 20:12
@corrado:it might be that the phone reads operator's time, not your phone's. Especially if you receive sms' from abroad.
bangsters
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-07-08 23:31

On 2007-07-07 06:47:54, AbuBasim wrote:
@bangsters:
Although there are no officially unlocked iPhones, there is a hack for bypassing the activation process. Try Google.

thanks AbuBasim...still a long shot for me though to switch to iphone....but with the discussions here about the p990 i don't even know if i want to get the p990 even at it's current low price. I love my p910 and I don't want to be disappointed with the p990....
AbuBasim
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2007-07-09 06:17
@bangsters:
One more thing about the hack for the iPhone: it only seems to open the non-phone functions like iTunes, Safari, etc. You would still not be able to make or receive calls on it!
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-07-09 11:29
@bangsters
I switched from P910. I had it for over a year. Now my P990 has 6 months.
P910 was marvellous. But, with all the things, P990 is awesome anyways. I would never go back.
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-08-11 22:55
For a minute, I wanted my P910i back. But I can't go back now, the p990i is so nuch more advanced; not in stability but other than that it offers more.
R1
P990
PM
Posted: 2007-09-23 06:08
Very satisfied. I've had the P900, P910 now the P990. I bought my first P990 back in January of this year. And yesterday, I bought another one because the first one I bought had scractches that were driving me nuts. I thought about buying just the case but didn't want to go through the hassle of replacing the casings. That would have been the cheaper and more sensible route but when I found out how cheap they are now, why not. I will be selling my older one to recover some of the funds.

I also had the N95 and it had its freezing and rebooting episodes just like the P990. Although it was a little easier to carry because of its smaller size, I still prefer the P990 and I was rarely using it. I sold it as soon as I found out about the N95 8gig will be releasing soon.

With my new P990, it already has the latest FW so I don't have to do the upgrading. I'm happy with the new one as it seems faster. I've had it for about 24 hours now and already had the 'kernel' error. No biggie. The P1 was also shown to me at the store but it did not appeal to me. It looked like one of those Hewlett Packard calculator that realtors use.
bjorne
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2007-09-23 21:36
been through most of them as I'm one of the lucky ones, my company provides them and I'm testing them, I'm using the machines mainly for work, i.e emails, sms and phone calls, not so much for photo, film, MP3 etc but I like gadgets and extras anyway, using the P990 with TomTom though:

Blackberry - great for email, useless as phone, no extra stuff
P900 - ok but not great at that time
P990 - disaster to start with, a lot better finally with new fm, battery a pain always

All three to bulky for my taste and in the end the touch-screen on SE became an obstacle instead of a help.

I'm now on Samsung SGH i600 after waiting a while for the Swedish version, tried the i320 before as well. Must say I like it a lot, no issues as with P990 initially, no hangups etc AND its really slim & light - a true breast-pocket phone.

[ This Message was edited by: bjorne on 2007-09-23 20:39 ]
Profhassan
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2007-09-24 08:29
Very much satisfied ,so far!!!!

The available third party app. give the phone a wider choice of usage and potential....you just have to figure out the sequence of their usage on the phone...because as mentioned everywhere the Ram is the biggest draw back....
Using Gdesk or the new upcoming LinkBoy in FO is a must..........

but all in all its great....

I use it also as a BlacBerry therefore no second gadget to carry around...
Life is too Short!!! Enjoy it to the Maxx!!!
AbuBasim
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2007-09-24 18:50

On 2007-06-01 07:27:39, AbuBasim wrote:

...next stop N95 or a windows mobile one.

If you pick a Windows Mobile phone then you'll notice that something is different on the software support side. Microsoft releases AKU levels which contain bug fixes and new features. Unfortunately it's a rare event for a WM phone vendor to decide to pass one of these updates on to it's customers. Your particular phone may receive one, maximum two updates if you're lucky!

My own post three months ago doesn't hold up anymore as SE will not be releasing any more firmware updates for the P990i.
Maajid
P990
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-24 20:24
Not very satisfied to begin with - but I keep reminding myself that only fools are and then I'm somewhat satisfied. Ah! Simple things.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 8 91011  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic